News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

No More Hiding (Discussion) Could use another to join us!

Started by Rainsinger, January 09, 2010, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rainsinger

Now that I've been here a little while I realized that it would probably be a good idea to post more about my story concept here and invite others to participate.

As stated at the top of my initial post there:

This is a medieval setting with the human race at war with elves.  The two races have been at war since the beginning of history.  Humans do not possess the magical powers of the Elves, but the humans have the advantage of numbers and brute strength.  The two races generally keep to their own lands, and rarely stray into one another's path, but encounters are still occur with regular frequency.  In the extremely rare case of a human mother giving birth to a part-elven child, the child has always been killed as an abomination, and quite frequently the mother is killed as well.  For a child of mixed blood to not only survive beyond it's birth, but to live to maturity, is unheard of.

To elaborate a bit further my intent is for this story to move from Kitherit's human world into the elven world, and her introduction to her Father's people.  Depending on how far the story goes it could lead to her actually finding her Father.  I see the Elven lands resembling the Elven territories as portrayed in the Lord of the Rings movies.  I am open to suggestions on where this story could lead, and the idea that she may not necessarily be welcomed into Elven society with open arms.  Though she is half elven, her features are mostly those of a full blooded elf.  There would be subtle differences and clues that she is not full blooded.  I like the idea that the person who finds her initially will become a friend and perhaps a mentor to her.

I don't know if anyone else would be interested in participating in this idea or not, but please let me know if you are.

Dramen

I am interested for sure!

You mentioned something about a Ranger. Is that an elven character?

I think the reaction to her would be mixed. Maybe even among the higher elves some would approve and some wouldn't. Do you have any plans for who her true father is? I thought perhaps it would be interesting if he was a high ranking elf himself. He might have to choose between the favor of the council (or whatever governs) and his past.

Those are just some random thoughts that occurred on thinking about this.

Rainsinger

I'm trying to keep things open ended so far, and see where it will go.  But of course it needs some direction, too!  So with that in mind...

It makes complete sense that there would be some, if not many, who would be scandalized by the presence of Kitherit as a "half breed".  Keep in mind that it is quite rare for a half-elf child to survive birth.  So this would be a unique situation for their society to deal with.  Kitherit will, for the most part, look like a full blooded elf.  A few minor differences would be that she is perhaps not as graceful as her kin, not just due to her human blood, but due to the fact that she was raised by humans.  (Being less then graceful as compared to the rest of her race also gives me something to play with to keep things interesting.)  Where most elves are more slender and fine boned, she may be just a bit more rounded and just a hair stockier, comparatively speaking.

The Ranger in question would indeed be an Elvish character, yes.  Rishana mentioned them first, and I took it to mean someone who scouts the area looking for danger, a guard kept on look out for any danger that may encroach on Elven lands.  Something else to keep in mind is how the role of a ranger may affect the opinions and feelings of your character (assuming you go that route).  He would have had many interactions with humans, and I could see his opinions going one of two ways.  First he may have come to loathe humans, and hate and distrust them on sight.  On the other hand he may have had time to get to know them from a distance, understand their ways, and feel some sympathy towards them.  He would have interacted with humans more then most elves.

On seeing Kitherit he would probably be most likely to recognize the subtle differences that point to her being half human.  It's your call as to how he will respond to her.

Rainsinger

I thought I'd share a few more thoughts on the elves of this storyline.  Since there are a wide range of opinions on what an "elf" is.

In terms of physical appearance, the elves will very much resemble those depicted in the Lord of the Rings movies.  Fairly tall and slender, usually with long hair that often has touches of intricate hair styling here and there.  Their buildings and homes will also resemble those depicted in the LOTR movies, blending into the natural world and taking advantage of natural resources without ruining them.

The elves can also possess magical powers, and I haven't fully defined these as of yet.  But just as an example I am already thinking that Kitherit possesses a latent talent for healing, which will come out naturally when a situation arises where it can come into play.  She won't realize she has the skill until she uses it without thinking about it.  Her healing abilities would allow her to mend wounds, mend broken bones assuming the bones are already set, and remove poison or diseases.  She would be able to heal someone who has been mortally wounded at least to the point that they are out of danger and able to heal the rest naturally, but the healing would leave her physically exhausted and she'd likely need to rest or sleep for a full day or longer.

The Elven society would consist of a hierarchy, with a council acting as the governing decision makers.  There would likely be one person in particular who leads the council, but I haven't decided what their title would be.

I'm mostly writing this to have fun and practice my writing skills.  So there may be a lot of vagueness, but keep in mind this is meant to be for fun!  If you have suggestions on where to take the story or anything, feel free to throw them at me!

Dramen

That all sounds great to me. I think I'd like to play a Ranger elf. That seems like a role that would be fun to play.

I think keeping it open ended is a great idea too. Forget most of what I suggested earlier. I think just let it go where it goes. Should be fun. I'm in!

Rainsinger

*cracks a whip*  Get to posting then!   ;D  Of course I'm considering going to bed soon...  lol  So tired!

Rainsinger

If anyone is interested in joining this story, it seems to me we could use at least one more person to fill a role.  So far, Ildra and Malith have shown that they want to help Kitherit, at least to provide food and shelter.  But I can already forsee the possibility that the story will die without someone to add a bit of conflict.  Perhaps someone who is in a position of more authority or some such, who doesn't like the idea of a half breed being brought into the village and provided food and shelter.

Also possibly someone who can act as a translator to help Kitherit communicate with the elves.

I feel like this story needs more to add depth if it's going to go anywhere.  I'm enjoying it so far if nothing more then for writing practice.  But it needs more if it's going to continue for long, I think.

Dramen

I agree it needs more if it is to go for very long. I do like the story though. It's been fun. So as we are about to talk to the elders, is there any sort of dramatic change in direction that you do or don't want Rainsinger? Does it matter to you?

Rainsinger

I think there should be someone among the Elders who can speak Kitherit's language more clearly.  Likely there would be someone among them who would be considered the leader of the Rangers, and that seems like the most logical choice of someone who would be fluent in Common.  The group that has to deal with humans more directly then anyone else.

I would say that there should be some on the council who don't like the idea of letting Kitherit stay with them, seeing her as a stain on the purity of the elven race.  The presence of a half blooded elf would be quite uncommon, I would think.  Or maybe it just works better to add drama to Kitherit's situation and I'm not being as realistic as I should be.  ;>.>  lol

I haven't decided yet about Kith's father.  He should still be alive, and Kith's mother gave her a description and told her his name.  (I haven't come up with that yet, but I can come up with that on the fly.  heheh)  I think he should have black hair, like Kitherit.  Something I haven't decided yet is if he is in the village with Malith and Ildra, or if he lives in another village.  Once Kitherit's mother realized she was pregnant, she left her home village and traveled a ways to a place where no one knew her.  So it would make more sense that Kith's father is in another village from Malith and Ildra.

Edit: I'm also thinking of creating another character myself, and roleplaying them as well.  One of the council members or something.  As no one else has shown any interest in joining.  I also might pick a "goal" for the story and call that the end of the story.

Psst: By the way Dramen, remember it's Kitherit, not Ketherit.  ;)

Dramen

Kitherit... crud figured I'd spell something wrong before long lol...  :-X...

Sorry about that. And that plan sounds good to me. I can RP another character too if need be. Your story so let me know. This has been a fun Role Play and a good story I think. I think it started with all three of us being unapproved ...lol.  Anyway if you like my writing don't hesitate to look me up in the future. I like your ideas and writing. Same with Rishana. Thanks for allowing me to play along.

Rainsinger

No worries about her name.  XD  I just noticed it for several posts and decided to say something.  heheh  *hugs!*

And yeah, we did all three join as Unapproved.  lol  Hope you get approved soon!!

Dramen

Me too!! *returns hug* 

And really thanks for bringing the name thing up. It's just the kind of thing that I'll let slip... my spell check fails me on a name like that... LoL...

Rainsinger

Quote from: Dramen on January 13, 2010, 09:53:18 AM
Me too!! *returns hug* 

And really thanks for bringing the name thing up. It's just the kind of thing that I'll let slip... my spell check fails me on a name like that... LoL...

*giggles*  Totally understand.  ^_^

Rainsinger

We've got some confusion going on with the new characters added.  Just to clarify, Raegion was only there when they first requested the Elder's attention.  (At least as far as I can tell.)  Locion was the one who speaks fluent Common, and was doing all the talking.

I like your additions Dramen, thank you.  :-)

I'm not sure where Ildra's recognition is heading, but I'm interested to see what you have in mind.  :-)  If you want to discuss it, ask here.  I suspect you are leading up to identifying Kith's father.  Keep in mind that Kitherit would know the name of her Father, and at least know a vague description of him.  Her Mother would have told her that much.  I haven't included her mentioning her Father's name yet as it hasn't quite come up.  Plus I haven't picked one yet.  lol

I don't mind the notion that someone where they are at is also her Father.  It would be interesting if it was even Locien.  lol  She hasn't heard his name yet I think.

Dramen

Oooh! I like the idea of Locien being her father!! I could work his reaction to hearing Kith's mother's name into my next post if you want to go that way....

Let me know... :)

Rainsinger

Let's see what Rishana has to say first.  :)

This storyline could end just with the realization of who her Father is, and if it is Locien then he would have enough power to hold any nay-sayers at bay, protect her, AND teach her to integrate into Elvish society.  If not Locien then they may know who it is, and the story could turn to finding him and introducing him to his daughter.

The only stipulation I had for her Father was that he should have black hair like Kitherit.  I can't remember if you gave a physical description of Locien yet or not.

Dramen

Yes we should see what she says first... 

I don't think I gave him a description...  *goes to check*

...*comes back*...Nope I didn't... so that is an option. Either way works for me. This has been fun.

Rainsinger

I'm letting this story officially die, as there haven't been any new responses lately, and we've all either got other projects to work on or haven't been on for awhile.

Thanks for participating with me, Dramen and Rishana!

(Locking the thread as it has served it's purpose and is no longer needed.)