News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[Interest Check] Bleach d20

Started by Jeramiahh, January 16, 2008, 05:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

When a person dies, but still has business with the world they've left behind, they become a ghost, wandering a world that cannot see or hear them, trying to resolve the problems they cannot put aside. But, what happens when they are left for too long, when the hatred, the loneliness in their hearts starts to eat away at their very being?

In this world, they become horrible, soul-devouring creatures called Hollows. To ease the pain in their rotted away hearts, Hollows hunt those they once loved, living and dead, to consume their souls. But that's not enough. When they are dead, they continue to hunt, preying on the souls of the living and dead alike. To combat these monsters, and to guide these lost spirits to the afterlife, a place known as Soul Society, a special group of spirits from the afterlife, called Shinigami, or Death Gods, return to the real world, to maintain the balance of life and death.

Armed with magic and powerful blades, they protect the living and the dead, unseen by those who still live. Well, most of them, anyway.

Some humans have the power to see the dead, to interact with them. Some even go one step further, gaining powerful abilities to fight these Hollows, that can, if left unchecked, kill countless people. The most organized group, the Quincy, use spirit-powered bows to slay these evil creatures, eradicating them entirely, while other humans acquire abilities, ranging across the spectrum of imagination.

This is the world setting of the manga/anime Bleach, a quite interesting, action-based anime, focused on a group of teenagers who can see these ghosts, and very quickly get caught up in the politics of the Shinigami, as their own powers appear.

Having watched the entire series over the last month, I am very interested in running a scenario, set in this world. However, as I am a fan of using rules, I quickly began to formulate ideas for how to bring their fighting style into Dungeons and Dragons. Thankfully, I didn't have to do much work myself, as there's an active project to create a Bleach d20 ruleset, found here. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38291

Direct link to rules: http://professor.fireandrobot.com/Bleach-D20-Rulebook-Compilation.doc

I don't recommend reading the whole thread, but if you're interested in the rules, there's a link to the document with them. So, here's my ideas:

1) A low-level, survival-horror style game. Players would start as ordinary humans, who can see ghosts, maybe with a little knowledge of Hollows, but never having seen them. No shinigami characters, right off the start. As the story continues, they develop powers, to combat these deadly spirit creatures, intent on devouring their souls. Did I mention that people with powers are extra-attractive to the monsters? This would be the most newbie-friendly game, as little or no knowledge of the setting would be required.

2) A mid level game, featuring a mix of humans and shinigami. More akin to the actual Bleach story, a small band of shingami are dispatched to an area of particularly high spirit concentration, eventually encountering humans with powers, as they fight ever increasingly powerful foes. Would likely travel to Soul Society and/or Hueco Mundo (The world of the Hollows, where the most powerful flee to, if injured), and would probably require some knowledge of the series, especially to play a shinigami.

3) A high level game, starting in Soul Society, and featuring almost exclusively shinigami, likely in very high positions, as high as Vice Captains. More dealing with the politics of Soul Society, a major threat to the balance of the worlds, and almost certainly featuring trips to the real world, and Hueco Mundo. Advanced players, both in the d20 system, and in knowledge of the anime, only.

This thread is mostly an interest check, to see who would be interested in the game at all, and, of those, who would be interested in which scenario. Unless I get overwhelming requests for more than one, I'll only run one of these. Also, any questions or comments would be appreciated!
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Muse

I'd be particularly intrested in the low level story, with the system, and the occasional hentai Hollow. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Brandon

Sounds interesting. Im a big bleach fan so yeah I think Ild like to give it a shot
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Cjac

*waves*  I think I have been convinced to try this too  The low level one for me, as I believe I have only seen one episode of Bleach.  Possibly two.
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Jeramiahh

Well, that came quickly. =P Guess I shouldn't be surprised, anymore. I'll let this stay up for a day, before I make any big decisions on it, though.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

schnookums

Ooh pick me pick me...

Although I'd probably be most interested in the Low Level game idea personally.

Jefepato

I've only watched the first 40 or so episodes, so I don't think I could handle the high-level version.  I'd prefer the mid-level one but I'd be okay with either.

Jeramiahh

Looks like the general consensus is the low level version; I don't blame people... I doubt most people've seen the anime. =P Plus, the Hollows are definitely more interesting opponents than anything else.

In that case, then, Ill need to do a bit of work; the rules, as provided, cover creating shinigami and Quincy characters, but not spiritually powered humans... which is okay, since they're, essentially, shinigami with a few abilities to replace the ones that humans wouldn't be able to use.

In that case, I'd like players to post/PM ideas for their characters. At the start of this, no shinigami will be available; everyone will be human. Quincy are playable, though I'd *highly* recommend you have knowledge of the series, first.... up through the first major arc is sufficient, up through Ishida losing his powers would cover, essentially, all that needs to be known about the Qunicy. For non-Quincy, a description of what powers you'd like to have available is what I need from you, as well as whether you're a fighter-type, a skillful-type, or a spellcaster-type. These powers should be transparent when not in use; in the anime, the two characters used as examples keep their powers hidden in a set of hairpins, or summon a powerful armor around his arm. Powers should be easily scalable; the girl can create a shield, heal people, or launch a simple projectile attack, while the guy gains massive strength, armor, and a powerful projectile.

These are, of course, just examples; use the guidelines for creating a Zanpaktou in the rules to base your powers off of... I'll be using those rules, myself. Or, if you feel confident, create a shinigami character, and allow me to edit it, to be appropriate (I haven't decided all I'm going to do for them... remove shunpo, for one, replacing it with bonus feats.) This game will likely stay fairly low level; the heroes will start at 'less than 1', and will, effectively, have no stats for a while. Their first contact with Hollows will 'awaken' their powers, and grant them level 1. Quincy, of course, will already be level 1, since it's a trained ability, not inherent.

I know, there's a lot of gibberish jargon in here... it'll all make sense in time, I promise hope.

Cjac

*grins*  If anyone can do that it's you. 
Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind. -Bob Marley
CjaC passed away on February 17th, 2008, thus her account restriction. We remember her fondly.

Muse

Should I play a gal, so a tentacly hollow can lemon her? 

or do you not mean to incorperate tentacly hollows? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jeramiahh

Well, given the place I'm running this, and the general suggestions I've heard, it sounds like, yes, I do intend to do naughty, naughty things. =P However, feel free to play whatever character you like; I can find ways to have fun. *grin*

Cjac

Quote from: Muse on January 17, 2008, 05:27:39 AM
Should I play a gal, so a tentacly hollow can lemon her? 

or do you not mean to incorperate tentacly hollows? 

*shakes head and grins*  You and your tentacled beasties!

MadPanda

an interesting idea, indeed.
:)

You're a brave, brave man, there, Jeremiahh!

(and my SD Yoroichi keychain charm agrees)
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Jeramiahh

Still waiting on people to offer up characters... only had one person show they're working on it. Is it the rules scaring people off? For this low level game, I might even do away with them, entirely...

Cjac

I'm waiting to co=ordinate with Muse.  He helps me make my characters when they are system games.  (I don't really get the whole process)

Hunter

I'd prefer a mid-level game but I'm more familiar with the storyline.

That and I like killing stuff.

I'll let you know if I can ever get the page to load.

Jeramiahh

Ahh, yeah, didn't even *think* about that... the main site's being HAMMERED this month. I'll edit in a direct link to the file.

Hunter

How about we do it this way?   ;)  And yes, I'd rather have the mid-level game.

http://www.geocities.com/lightsenshi/Bleach-D20.doc

Jeramiahh

Well... dammit, I didn't want to run two, but if I get enough people pointed towards a mid-level on, I'd run that, too.

As it stands, I have no ideas submitted, so no game getting made, at this rate. =P

Hunter

I'll get a character to you tonight sometime.  What level,etc should be build to as a shinigami?

Jeramiahh

For a mid-level character? I was thinking 6's a good, balanced point, since the 'high' level would be 10.

Hunter

Jeramiahh

Err... gah, high powered anime characters, so let's do 32 point buy.

Gear will be assigned items, so don't worry about money.

Jefepato

Hm...I need to read through the rules more before deciding on a character.  Augmenters and Materializers don't seem to have HD or skills listed for the classes...

Also, is it just me, or do Quincys kinda suck compared to shinigami?

Serenity Vixen

That was the impression I got from the series, the one that starred in the show being a dramatic exception...
Quincy's vs. Shimigami I mean
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Jefepato

I thought the Quincys just got hunted down due to having far less fighters in total, not because they were necessarily worse. 

Besides, even if they are, it's kinda problematic for a game to have some characters be straight-up better than others at the same level.  If Quincys are supposed to be weaker, it makes better sense to say "Quincys are, on average, lower-level than shinigami" rather than actually having the class be weaker.

Serenity Vixen

It really shouldn't matter overall anyway, since any character should be an exceptional version of whatever race/class they are anyway, a player-run Quincy should be as strong as a Shimigami...

Well, in my opinion...

even if the race was generally weaker, just like in the show
"I once tried to take over the world, but then I got distracted by something shiny"
"There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those that are good at math, and those who are not"

Hunter

Quote from: Jefepato on January 19, 2008, 11:27:06 AM
Hm...I need to read through the rules more before deciding on a character.  Augmenters and Materializers don't seem to have HD or skills listed for the classes...

Also, is it just me, or do Quincys kinda suck compared to shinigami?

It's not you.  Everything except a Hollow sucks compared to a shinigami.

Hollows seem to be a template (like half-dragon, etc).  Any perceived power issues can easily be corrected by uping the hit dice that they have.  (Like turning a quincy into a d12, for example.)

I've got the numbers crunched out (I'll type him up soon) and I'm waiting for the atmosphere.  :D

Jefepato

What kind of character are you making, Hunter (and whoever else is in for the mid-level game)?

Hunter

Quote from: Jefepato on January 19, 2008, 02:54:46 PM
What kind of character are you making, Hunter (and whoever else is in for the mid-level game)?

Spellcasting Shinigami.

Jefepato

Hm.  I may go for a warrior shinigami then, though the huge amount of skills the expert has are tempting.

Hunter

I noticed that.  But I passed in favor of a more balanced build.  *eyes SV*  I'll write something up soon, I hope we actually get this one going.

Serenity Vixen

I have no idea what I want to play, and I am really bad at making characters *Sigh*

Jefepato

Once you decide what to play, I can help you make the character if need be.

Serenity Vixen

Maybe I will play the expert, just to be different :P

although I usually like to play a sorceress

Jeramiahh

Yeah... *looks over the rules again* That is a good point... the shinigami have a fairly significant advantage over almost everyone else. And, yeah, the spiritually awakened humans aren't finished, yet... the whole thing's still a work in progress. Actually, I think the last edition of it I DL'd didn't even have them. Or maybe I'm crazy and missed it.

I don't want to mess with any of the rules, as written, to avoid confusing people further, so I'd rather give it a playtest, first, then start fiddling with things that need fiddling with. Remember, for those that follow the series, the characters *started* around 8th level, judging form their powers, and have only grown stronger. At the current anime arc, they're all 14th-16th level. Most captains aren't much above 14, if at all.

Of course, what edges they have stat wise can be fairly easily compensated for; remember, teaming up on an enemy is mean, and your enemies will always be appropriate for their victim. =P The overpowered shinigami fights a Hollow, it'll be tougher than if the Quincy gives a go at it... in theory, anyway.

Ryvaken

Dude, I want in. I'm reading the rules and I'll get back to you with the details, but I want in.

And I have a variety of ideas in my head. Half are Quincy because I really, really like bows.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Hehehe... always open to more! And, while I haven't read the manga, uhh... isn't she supposed to be, like, 6? Or do they do something like Midna at the end of the last Zelda game, with a midget under an eeeevil magic spell, suddenly becoming the hot girl? Either way, ewww, unless it's got a REALLY good explanation.

Jeramiahh

Nah. I figure they'll get there soon enough. Soon enough, potentially, being months away. I'm working on the manga, bit by bit... but the site I get it from is awful. =P

Ryvaken

In creativity, meaning.

Muse

So are we doing both the low level game and the mid level? 

Jeramiahh

Ahh, the same question plaguing me for days.

At the moment? I don't know. I would *like* to only run a single game, although running two in not out of the question. I'd like to see what characters I actually get, first, before declaring one way or the other; I wouldn't like to declare one game, and find I only have one person who'll actually play it, and I hate turning people away.

Ryvaken

I'm building a Quincy and...well...I have two choices. Put everything into my bow and die horribly, or just die horribly. This is insanely poorly conceived. The hitdie needs to be boosted a level, the bow needs constant bonuses rather than transient ones, the full-round charge action should do more than simply double the results of a move action, all the numbers need a boost, the web type bow needs to be brought down to multishot, the Crossbow needs a penalty that's actually meaningful (rather than simply ruining the feel by being a crossbow), and the attack bonus needs to be kicked up to the good progression. And those are just to make it VIABLE.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Hehe... yeah, I didn't design the system, it's player-designed, so I *know* there are going to be balance issues. And, yes, the Quincy, Augmented Human, and Shinigami class will share a lot of the same abilities, because they're mutually exclusive; a Quincy is a special type of Augmented Human, but you must be born into it... and Shinigami aren't human, by definition, they're souls. (Although Ichigo is an exception. A very, very big exception.) In fact, the Augmented human is probably based off the Shinigami, but, since they can't access certain abilities, like shunpo, they need other things, in place.

The other thing about the shinigami; they're incredibly easy to customize. In the source material, most shinigami share only a few basic traits; most of their abilities and skills are unique to them, and bound to their sword. This is reflected in the insane number of feats they gain, as they progress. The sample characters, a second document, in the thread this is found in, shows how the system can be used to create some of the characters from the show, and quite accurately. It's also, really, not intended to be perfectly balanced; shinigami are to augmented humans and Quincy what wizards are to sorcerers... highly trained and skilled, as opposed to guys who just discovered their abilities by luck, or natural aptitude.

I'd *love* to run it in another system, except there's one problem; I don't know any systems besides d20, nor do I have a convenient rules conversion on hand for another system I don't know. =P

In short, you're not supposed to multi-class, only take a prestige class... and even then, the requirements are extremely restrictive, to the point of, "Only if the DM wants you to have it."

EDIT: Yeah, I agree... they really do get the short end of the stick. I'd say they were more fair, if their weapon did more damage than anyone... but it actually does very little, as much as the spellcaster shinigami's weapon. Their one advantage is the series is mobility; Ishida is routinely shown dodging, constantly... but the charge system seems to shoot that in the foot. I think they were designed earlier in the process, and haven't been revamped, yet, leading them to be in the vastly underpowered stage, right now. I'll have to do some thinking on ways to eliminate that charge system, yet still keep their flavor... maybe down to "Uses per day/encounter/at will" on their abilities.

Ryvaken

I have ideas on that. Specific changes, not generalities.

First, give them a bonus feat progression. Archers burn a lot of feats.
Second, boost that hitdie to AT LEAST d8 and chuck out the Human Body thing. Ishida currently has several bones and organs splattered in the latest chapters and he's no worse off than Renji.
Third, give them all the charging abilities at level 1, including the one that increases their supply every turn. This can happen inside or outside of combat, so most likely they'll always start an encounter at full rather than empty.
Fourth, lose the concentration checks. It's not even very well defined.
Fifth, the whip and crossbow types are overpowered relative to the others. Lose them. Give the Whip's ability to perform AoOs to the Bow Attributes. Additionally the Soul Synthesized type is utterly pointless.
Sixth, increase them to a full attack progression and give their bows a constant enhancement bonus equal to half (round down minimum zero) the column A value.
Seventh, bump the damage, range, and critical values of the bow to Composite Longbow. Allow bonus damage based on a mental stat rather than Strength. I suggest Charisma.
Eighth, choose a stat to make the preq for Quincy feats that have an ability preq. I suggest Charisma.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

I said that I acknowledge there are balance issues with the player made material, yes, but I didn't say I want it to be unbalanced for the players. I understand the balance issues, and I will work with people to correct them. At the same time, for all we know, it's entirely possible that characters are closer to balanced than we think; maybe the Quincy's ability to fight at range, while the Shinigami need to be in melee is a huge asset in a lot of fights? I don't know, I haven't tested it yet.

And I've seen plenty of parties where the players aren't balanced for combat ability; have you ever played a bard? I have. And, despite the fact that the rest of the party was combat monsters, I still had plenty of valuable things I added, and enjoyed myself. On a side note, the game is not solely combat focused. In the series itself, despite being an action anime, each character engages in remarkably few fights. In the first major arc, the hero, despite, effectively, fighting the entire opposing force, for the most part alone, only engages five opponents. A lot of the time was spent avoiding fights, talking their way through things, tracking down objectives, and supporting one another, in what ways they could. Don't assume that, just because something isn't a combat monster, it isn't viable.

EDIT: I agree with a lot of those proposed change, Ryv... I actually think I want to eliminate the whole charge system, since it's overly complicated, and interferes with movement. Bow damage progression also needs a LARGE boost; it should be at least equal, if not surpassing, the Warrior Shinigami's. Ishida's bow, at the beginning of the series, was easily equal in power to Ichigo's sword. I don't agree with the bows performing AoOs... but I'll have to run some numbers. I just haven't had time, yet. Last thing I want to do is make any change I'll regret later... I did that in one campaign, and the player ran with it like a dog with a bone.

Ryvaken

Oh also, as shown in chapter 259, Seele schnider used as arrows are clearly recoverable. While it's atypical for D&D to consider 'magic' ammo as reusable, typical D&D assumes that it's relatively simple to restock. Not so with the case of a Quincy's arsenal. Unless they can be built with the Craft skill.

I don't think the system is particularly complicated, it just needs to be streamlined. Making charges gained reflexively rather than consciously, and giving Quincy viable standard weapons, makes the points similar to how Kido works, except replenishing faster and having a much lower cap. Actually, that cap needs to be, like, doubled to make a lot of their high level abilities viable. Hirenkyaku, for example, burns over half the Quincy's max to keep up with Shunpo on the first use.
In creativity, meaning.

Hunter

The rules as written seem to be designed for play as a shinigami, and a warrior one at that.  Warrior Shinigami = Fighter, Expert Shinigami = Rogue, Spellcasting Shinigami = Sorcerer.  I've designed a Spellcasting Shinigami but I'm giving serious thought to scrapping him in favor of someone who can actually handle a fight.

Are we going with a mixed or non-mixed party?  We really either need to be all Shinigami or none of us.  Just my thoughts.

Ryvaken

Do we? Do we really? The animosity between Quincy and Shinigami is far diminished since the golden era of the quincy. Uryu's original hatred was a personal matter. His father's animosity stems from the same source as his distaste for his own Quincy powers. His grandfather held no animosity. As for the Shinigami, other than their arrogance only Mayuri showed particular attention either way towards Quincy.
In creativity, meaning.

Hunter

Quote from: Ryvaken on January 20, 2008, 04:20:10 AM
Do we? Do we really? The animosity between Quincy and Shinigami is far diminished since the golden era of the quincy. Uryu's original hatred was a personal matter. His father's animosity stems from the same source as his distaste for his own Quincy powers. His grandfather held no animosity. As for the Shinigami, other than their arrogance only Mayuri showed particular attention either way towards Quincy.

*gnaws on his liver*  From an rp perspective, no.  From a party balance persective.....

Cjac

Quote from: Hunter on January 20, 2008, 04:35:43 AM
*gnaws on his liver*  From an rp perspective, no.  From a party balance persective.....

I hope that isn't really your liver.  I also hope it isn't Ryv's liver....

Ryvaken

I don't have a liver. My species processes blood via a series of liquid-filled bladders.
In creativity, meaning.

Hunter

Cookies are bad.  Have chocolate chip ice cream instead.

Assuming that the GM is going to worry about balance issues (I believe he did), I'll keep my trap shut.  ;)  It looks like my re-write is turning into a stealthy type with some healing abilities.

Ryvaken

Huzzah to the healer! All glory to squad 4! I will jump on your face and suck out your thumb! Through your left nostril!!
In creativity, meaning.

Cjac

Quote from: Ryvaken on January 20, 2008, 10:08:53 AM
Huzzah to the healer! All glory to squad 4! I will jump on your face and suck out your thumb! Through your left nostril!!

That sound oddly.....disturbing....

(JK)

Hunter

Quote from: Ryvaken on January 20, 2008, 10:08:53 AM

Who said anything about squad 4?  Stealthy squad, dear boy.   ;D

Ryvaken

Bah. Soi Fong's little squad is amusing, not dangerous.
In creativity, meaning.

Ryvaken

I'm not allowed to poke fun at the Gotei 13?
In creativity, meaning.

psouth119

i'd be interested in this role play i know some about the anime i got up to episode 72 and im going to start watching it again so im up for the low level game or medium game

Serenity Vixen

What is Yoruichi?
I mean, I know she is Shimigami, but what type?

Something like her is exactly what I would like to play

Hunter

Sorcerer = Spellcaster Shingami, dear.

psouth119

no i think vixen only wants to play a character like Yoruichi is because she can turn into a cat lol :p

Serenity Vixen

That and because in her human form she is the single most absolutely GORGEOUS character that exists :P

But yea, I like the cat angle :)

I will be a spellcasting Shimigami... please :)

Hunter

*insert gratutitous catgirl joke here*

So that gives the game two Spellcasting Shinigami and what else?  (Because I'm nosy.)

psouth119

im joining as a kick ass fighter person lol

Jeramiahh

Ok, well... this seems to be very active discussion. Excellent. I won't try to respond to all of the particular points, but, judging from the way people have been talking, especially with such interest in playing Shinigami, it looks like I'm leaning towards the mid-level game, now, though I may end up running the low level as a smaller, more free-form game. I've only received one finished character, so far, but that's fine.

One thing I do want to point out is that, frequently, battles will be taking places in different areas; unlike D&D, which assumes a party vs. a monster or two, this will, akin to the series, focus more on 1v1 or 2v1 fights... or, as we advance, more likely 1 versus many Hollows, given their cannon fodder capabilities. =P Thus, in the majority of cases, player balance isn't as important, because all players will contribute to their own fights.

On that note, yes, the Quincy's getting a revamp. Make the following changes, and see how they work:
Raise HD to d6; remove Human Body flaw, maximize all HD.
Raise attack bonus progression to Fighter levels. Adjust Defense bonus to reflect this, as the warrior Shinigami.
Double current range. Increase damage to 1d10 at 6th level, improve again to 2d6 at 9th, 2d8 at 13th, and 2d10 at 17th.
Add a bonus feat at 4th level, and every 4th after that; when you normally add attribute points.
Revamp the entire charge mechanic; triple the maximum held charge (with no concentration check), gain charge each round you are engaged in battle, equal to the amount you would gain by charging as a move action. Gain an additional charge for each ally, actively engaged in a fight, within 40 feet. You cannot use actions to gain additional charge, though it should no longer be needed.
Gain an automatic enhancement bonus to your bow equal every four levels, starting at 3.
As a full round action, starting at 5th level, the Qunicy may fire a single, incredibly powerful arrow, imbuing it with spirit charges. Unlike the normal enhancement mechanism, all points spent increase the damage by two, but for every two points spent, take a penalty on the attack roll of one. (This is basically a very powerful Power Attack, though it requires a full round for a single attack.)
Halve the cost of the Hirenyaku.
At 8th level, Quincy gain the ability Force of Will, and add their Charisma modifier as a bonus to damage to all shots.
Change the power of the longbow; it's silly. A flat +2 to damage, and +20 range. The crossbow adds an additional +1 damage to all shots, on top of the die increase.

I think that ought to cover it. At least, make them a much, much more powerful force, as they should be. Ishida was sniping Hollows in the first episode he appeared in, not plinking them to death, one at a time, charging for a minute between each Hollow. =P

And yes, I love Yourichi... a nice sense of humor, too, with her transformation.

A few notes on character introductions; Shinigami will begin as a member of the 13 squads, your choice. The campaign, in the real world, will take place in some town in Japan. Equipment will be assigned to the players, as appropriate; there isn't much in the way of 'magic items', anyway.

I was surprised at a few of the choices made by the author of this as to what characters were what classes; Rukia is listed as an Expert, not a Spellcaster, though she has numerous meta-magic feats, and always felt very fragile and kidou focused in the series. Meanwhile, Matsumoto, who struck me as an Expert, is a Warrior, though Byakuya is, appropriately, an Expert. It really comes down to a matter of player preference; all are equally viable.

All in all, I have high hopes for this idea; I plan to work with you guys, make sure that everything remains fun for everyone... that's the point of all of this, ain't it?

Ryvaken

With no Bow Attributes selected, a 6th level quincy has the following choices. This assumes a Dex in the range of 16-17
Short Bow: +11, 1d10+1, 130ft
Longbow: +10, 1d10+3, 150ft
Crossbow: +11, 2d6+2, 120ft
Web Bow: +5, 1d10+1 (x2), 130ft
Whip Bow: +10, 1d10+1, 130ft, allows AoOs

The Shortbow and Longbow have very little in the way of desirable attributes, even though they are the most commonly shown type of bow.

Oh, and the sheet I PMed you has a lot of errors with little things like AC and skills. >.> "Oops."
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

*ponders* That's a good point. There's almost no incentive to use the Short bow over the Whip bow, given that AoOs with a ranged weapon, even with only 10' range on it, is nice. And the crossbow is deadly...

Proposed changes: Whip bow's range halved, Crossbow is treated like a Light Crossbow, and requires a move action to reload. Serious nerf to it, but there's a reason crossbows aren't as useful; they're easier to use. Like you say, the actual bows should be the most desireable, at least until the player gains enough BAB to make the Web useful.

Antone

hi.... JUST took a look to browsing through things, and saw this thread..... and I would be very interested in playing..... anything from mid up.... since I've watched damn near the whole of bleach.... well, as far as it's gone anyway........... though I don't know if there's still space or desire for yet another person....

*peers about half-hopefully*
Ons and Offs
RPs Desired

Caution when handling: Reacts violently when exposed to stupidity...

Jeramiahh

Still space; I've received one (mostly) finished character, and a couple of outlines... still up in the air if I'll run two games or just one, right now. Waiting to get some definite replies, at least three mostly finished characters, before I start anything.

Antone

well, as I said... I have definate knowledge of the char (*so wants Yoruichi as a slave lol*).... and would be more intersted in the mid game you have going on... since that seems the most probably to perhaps get started......

... at the moment, I've only just browsed through the thread, though I'll read it more thoroughly later.... but if I were try and get started, what exactly would that you have me do?
Ons and Offs
RPs Desired

Jeramiahh

Right now, I'm looking for characters, ready to play, effectively. Design a character of 6th level, provided in the rules linked a few times in the thread; for the mid-level game, there's no restriction on which type you could play, human or Shinigami, though take note that the rules for the non-Quincy humans aren't entirely finished, and will require some discussion with me to flesh out entirely.

Serenity Vixen

Sorry Jera, I slipped back in my health problems, so it may be awhile before I can concentrate well enough to make a character. I really want to play this game, but my mind is...

Not working at the moment, sorry :(

I will try to get it going as soon as possible

Ryvaken

My Quincy of Doom has been completed. Behold my masterpiece! *tadaa*
In creativity, meaning.

Brandon

All I need to know is what level to make my Shinigami and the hallows wont stand a chance!
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Ryvaken

In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Excellent, that makes two mostly-finished characters, just waiting on a third and I'll post the game.

Hunter

Mine's in final stages of approval.  Gots to do one more thing.  ^_^

Ryvaken

What kind of equipment are we looking at starting with? I'd like to work some armor into my Quincy's outfit; nothing much, just some padded or masterwork leather equivalent.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Armor is unnecessary, except as flavor; the defense bonus from the class is a dodge bonus, lost when wearing armor. See here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/defenseBonus.htm

Basically, it's to reflect the swashbuckler-esque nature of the Bleach characters, on top of the fact that their reiatsu protects them as well as armor. However, some characters DO gain armor when they utilize special abilities; see the sword-and-fan Bounto girl, from the filler arc. For them, it'll provide minor +AC boosts, for the duration of the ability.

Of course, if you want to wear armor for aesthetics sake, be my guest; it will, generally, be less valuable than your class bonus, and will be solely for flavor. If you want armor from a special ability, then we can make a new class feature, to replace an old, that provides armor when you do something.

Ryvaken

...crap. Hey, does the class defense bonus work when flatfooted? The rule you link to does NOT call it a dodge bonus, so I'm thinking yes.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

True; it's a "Defense Bonus", which is a completely different type. The website doesn't say either way, so I'll go to the source it came from in the first place.

Which says the same thing, word for word. Okay... well, since it says, essentially, that the bonus works in all ways as an armor bonus, except it also applies to touch attacks, I will rule that it functions like Bracers of Armor, for the purpose of being flatfooted; it still applies.

Antone

is the limit of people your looking for 3? or are more capable of playing? *doesn't want to make up a char if your only looking for 3 people*
Ons and Offs
RPs Desired

Jeramiahh

No, I'm looking for a third character before I put up the game and get the threads in place; I'll take as many as I feel I can handle... and I've run games with 7 players.

On that note, I have my third character sheet submitted, so I'm off to make some posts.

OOC and Character threads are up, and initial characters are posted. Still welcoming more, if you're interested, too! Don't run away, yet!

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12659.0
Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=12657.0

Jeramiahh

Hehehe... I can understand the pain of that; there's a reason I always play healer in any RPG... and it's not because I think it's the best job ever (which it is), but because no one else ever wants to play it.

Just take some time to work on it; I plan to start the thread and give the players time to fool around in Soul Society/on Earth, before they meet, or any action begins, since it seems there's a lot of people still working on characters.

EDIT: As a side note, for the "low level" game, I've decided to discard the clunky system, entirely. It's just not appropriate, at first level. The game will be freeform, with the same theme/starting point.

Serenity Vixen

Sorry, I am going to drop out
I am just having to much trouble health wise at the moment to wrap my mind around a new game system. Maybe I can join it in the future if you will have me when I feel better :)

Jeramiahh

Awww, sorry to hear it, SV... I'm sure we could find a way to get you in, later, if you're still interested.

I regularly have games without healers... in fact, you don't even need one. The Healing belt, from the Magic Item Compendium, is amazing... up to 6d8 healing/day, usable on your self, or on a target, for a mere 750gp, and your regularly unused belt slot. Wands of (lesser) Vigour (Spell Compendium) are excellent, as well; 10+CL rounds of fast healing 1 or 2, making it better than a maximized CLW or CMW. And any divine caster, or bard, can use wands of CLW easily.[/D&D nerd]

Ryvaken

We have extremely different interpretations of the value of Vigor spells and an open belt slot.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Maybe you value the belt slot... but you can't argue that, for *out-of-combat* healing, Vigor is far superior. Lesser will always heal for 11 points, where the equivalent wand of CLW will do 2-9... and it only gets better as you progress. I find it difficult to fill the belt slot, in most cases, unless playing a melee for the Belt of Str, but your mileage may vary.

Ryvaken

Many Pockets or Hidden Pockets. If for some incomprehensible reason I'm not playing an arcanist with a familiar or a thief, I'm probably a healer or some type of character like Monk that needs high stats everywhere, so yeah bring on the strength.

And yeah, Vigor is great for after party healing, but that's all it's great for. I don't like shelling out good coin for something that is both temporary and nonversatile.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Oh, right, storage space. Some DMs are nazis about that... since my group usually ends up with the guy with >25 STR, often at less than 4, I don't worry about space. "Ok, wait, he can carry half a ton, and still be on a light load? Fine. Whatever."

That, and I prefer to worry about stuff that actually affects things, not "How many bottles of ink did you say you packed?" Shopping takes long enough, anyway.

Ryvaken

Many Pockets also eliminates the AoO to retrieve items and allows the Familiar a safe place to hide while leaving the caster at full bonuses from his companion.
In creativity, meaning.

Jeramiahh

Pfft, familiar. A liability, if there ever was one. Haven't wizards learned anything from Sauron? Don't invest your power into something small and fragile and easily stolen/killed. =P

I much prefer alternate class features to gain something useful. My transmuter wizard took Sudden Shift, 3 rd/day of flight, swimming, or climbing at my move speed. Already saved my ass more than a few times.

Ryvaken

*glances at a game Muse is running* Riiiiight. Tell that to my Raven, that just stopped us from hitting an ambush. A big one. I'll take that over a few minor abilities that are easily accomplished by 3rd or lower spells.
In creativity, meaning.

Hunter

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

Cjac

Quote from: Hunter on January 25, 2008, 03:21:25 AM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............................

*whacks Hunter*  Stop that!

Hunter