News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Cloud Atlas 6 Minute Trailer

Started by Samael, July 27, 2012, 06:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samael

Cloud Atlas Official Trailer [HD]: Tom Hanks, Halle Berry & Hugo Weaving

Until this trailer the movie wasn't even on my radar, and I haven't read the book, (although read up on it on wiki) but this really makes me want to see the film.

It looks fantastic.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Shjade

That's a bloody long trailer.

I dunno. It looks awesome, but at the same time I get the distinct impression it's going to be one of those movies that tries to cram waaaay too much into just two and a half hours, leaving everything sorta disjointed and unsatisfying by the end.

Definitely going to look up the book though. Manipulation of time - directly, indirectly, narratively, any which way you can - is one of my favorite things to read or write, so this flips all sorts of triggers for me.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Norwegian One

I think this is one of those movies that are either bloody amazing or disasterous, and I really, really hope it will be the former. As much as I can understand of the plot from the trailer, it looks really exciting, but I think it will all depend on the pacing and, as Shjade says, how much they try to cram in.
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

Geeklet

I saw the trailer earlier, and I heard that they made the trailer that long because they had a hard time compressing the story down any farther to still get it to be understandable and entice people to watch. And after I sat and watched it, all I could think of was "dafuq did I just watch?" I mean, there were certain parts of it that look interesting, but I have no idea what was going on.

Shjade

Quote from: Geeklet on July 28, 2012, 08:28:17 AM
I saw the trailer earlier, and I heard that they made the trailer that long because they had a hard time compressing the story down any farther to still get it to be understandable and entice people to watch. And after I sat and watched it, all I could think of was "dafuq did I just watch?" I mean, there were certain parts of it that look interesting, but I have no idea what was going on.

Which is exactly why I suspect the movie will have similar issues.

Knowing nothing about the story beyond this trailer, I'll take a stab at the story: it seems like it's something similar to Specimen Days, in which three separate short stories are combined into one book with the "same" three characters repeating in them: a boy, a woman and a man. They take on different roles in each story, but the idea is that they're inextricably linked, whether it's their souls passing on after they die and coming back again or karmic connection or whatever you might call it. Cloud Atlas seems like it has a similar we-keep-running-into-each-other element, given it's the same actors repeatedly ending up together in disparate times.

...except for the super-future scenes, which had different characters from all the other settings, which admittedly confuses me. Unless that's simply recognizing that the world's racial layout is likely to be different that far ahead in time, I'm not sure why things get changed there.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

BCdan

I am just glad they didn't show the entire goddamn plot in the trailer.  I hate it so much when trailers do that.  This trailer just makes me insanely curious, which is exactly what a trailer should do.

~I enjoy random PM's~