The Lonely Life of a Hotel Desk

Started by BlackSwan317, March 23, 2011, 01:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

If it was House, I would agree with you completely.   ;D   I mean, I might be armchair psychoanalyzing here, but they seem to be portraying Holmes as a high-functioning savant (especially with the foot-chase scene in the first episode) with an ego.  In that situation, he would be very proud of deducing that the new beau was gay, and putting forth all the clues that no one else could have seen but him - all the while completely oblivious of the effect it's having on anyone around him. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Hy3na

Well, like I said, I was only glancing over my fiance's shoulder so I didn't get the extent of how they were portraying him. That's just what it seemed like to me. I think I was busy working on pages that day, so a lot of my attention went straight out the window.

OMG! HY3NA HAS A SATURDAY NIGHT OFF? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

BlackSwan317

Wait... saturday night off?

Sorry I just don't know what to say on much fan fic, sadly I'm out of the loop on it :-( I swear I'm not trying to be antisocial! I really have been reading and keeping up with this thread, just didn't know what to say. I love you all, I promise

Hy3na

xDD

I'm honestly not much on fanfiction, either. I only read things that are suggested to me, whether for their quality or lack thereof. So the things that get suggested to me are either the REALLY REALLY GOOD or the horribly, detestably bad. Most of the bad is Yu-Gi-Oh and Harry Potter. Most of the good is Hetalia and Sherlock. Its more of a genre study for me.

Yes! I had tonight off and was completely unaware. o_o

BlackSwan317

I've just never really known that many people that are into the fanfic stuff so never had anyone recommend it. If you ever come across anything you think I'd be particularly into feel free to recommend it, I'm always looking to read anything new.

Wooo! *does a happy dance for surprise night off*

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Oniya on April 02, 2011, 07:00:24 PM
Completely socially inept.  There's this bit where he comments on the fact that the girl at the M.E.'s office has put on makeup, that he doesn't like it, and (later on), that she's taken it off.  Never once does it seem to occur to him that she's trying to make herself attractive to him.

Yes, Sherlock in that incarnation is a bit of a nerd: when he's asking Watson - out of the blue, in the same scene as the first lipstick line - "Afghanistan or Iraq?" and then proceeds to explain how he arrived at the conclusion that the doctor must have been at the frontline in one of those places, it never strikes him that he might put Watson off badly, might come across as much too nosey. I'm not sure how much of a nerd he is in the original stories but it's a shade one can bring out; he's very sure of his intelligence of course. Just like Jules Verne, Conan Doyle had a, most of the time, unshakeable belief in science and rational thinking, so Holmes was supposed to be a modern guy.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

As I recall, the original meeting in Conan Doyle's work went much the same way, with different wars, and no 'psychosomatic' component.  There are also scenes in the original where he makes some deduction based on cigar ashes.  Anyone who writes a treatise on the comparison of various cigar ashes has got to be a nerd to some degree.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

gaggedLouise

I love the scene in one of Doyle's stories where Holmes has got a paper (a  letter, a draft of a will or something) that's been found on the corpse of a man who died and which is almost illegible, but the degree of dizziness in the writing is shifting over the course of the text, and he deduces that it was written on the train into London and finds out exactly what train and what path by postulating that the worst bits were written at times when the train was passing through a few shunts (the track shunts of those days were not smooth)  or  a tunnel.  :D

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Hy3na

BlackSwan317

*huggles* I sorry  :-( What's wrong?

Hy3na

The smell of potbutter coming through the door, the smell of potsmoke coming through the window... the feeling that I probably should have eaten more today and not wanting to brave the outside world for a glass of water...

BlackSwan317

Uhk... that does sound shitty. You can't just yell out and ask one of them to bring you a glass of water?

Hy3na

They're all asleep now, I think. Except for Vella, who is watching the TV VERY LOUDLY. -twitch-

Mostly I'm just being lazy. xD

BlackSwan317

Hey Laziness isn't ALL bad :-p

Still, the smell of that butter would be enough to keep me in hiding too.

Hy3na

The smell has died down a bit. The boys made safe brownies and it covered the stench.

BlackSwan317

Well that's good at least. I always hated the smell of those cooking in particular because you not only have to put up with the smell of that stuff, but you have to get that almost sickeningly sweet afternote from the normal parts cooking in around it.

Hy3na

She has taken it off the stove. And now it smells like our apartment is enveloped in one big pot plant...

BlackSwan317

Oh joy of joys...

Do you have to go to work tonight smelling of it?

Hy3na

No one asked questions. They kind of assume that I'm into drugs anyways because I occasionally look strung-out. (If I've been working with ink, my allergies come out to play and I look like I spent the night in a prison cell). And they can't really fire you (not that it matters right now) unless they find you in possession. Danny comes to work high all the time and they're just like... eh.

She's done making the butter, so now I'm feeling a lot better. I'm wondering if maybe I have an allergy...

BlackSwan317

I think it could be possible. Plenty of people have allergies to random flora, I don't see why it would be a stretch to imagine you being allergic to that.

Oniya

Which begs the next question:  What would your roommates do if you were?   :-\

Hy3na

They would continue smoking pot from sundown to sundown. Because they don't really give a crap about the crazy chick that paid their rent for two months and is owed more than one grand in general expenses through the past year. I'm a convenience in that I keep them from being homeless. I'm an inconvenience to them in that I'm kind of a prude.

Oniya

*wrinkles nose*  And the benefit to you is...?

Hy3na

Long story. There was a falling out between some of our friends and I was desperate for someone to live with. Both me and my girlfriend couldn't afford an apartment by ourselves because at that time I had just been fired from my tech support job and she didn't have any kind of employment. He and his boyfriend were looking for a place to live as well, and after the falling out, Vella also was out of luck for the place that she'd signed with. We figured that with him and his boy in one room, me and my girl in another room, and Vella all by herself, we could find a three-bedroom for cheap and we got this place for $275/mo. This appealed to my inner cheapskate.

But right now, the only benefit of living with him is that he pays some of the rent. I'm moving in a month anyhow. >>