Unexpected Union(Wolvenrogue and Lady Hecate)

Started by wolvenrogue, June 28, 2012, 05:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Hecate

Susanna watched the scene unfold with wide eyes, her hands trembling as she attempted to maneuver the shot gun with little successes. At the Sargent's voice, Susanna froze, disbelief that the soldiers had returned. Against his advice, she came to kneel beside Robert and held his hand tightly. This action was for his comfort, and her own. She trembled softy as she watched the battle through the smoke filled yard, thankful as silence slowly took the place of firing.

She rose stiffly and assisted Robert to his feet, giving him a quick once over to assure herself that no harm had come to him. At the introduction of the babe, Susanna's eyes grew wide as she became mute, unsure how to respond. A child. A child lost in the world and separated from its family so young.

She was awoken from her trance like state as the baby emitted a loud wail and the soldier holding it appeared confused as what to do. This made Susanna chuckle due to how obvious the soldier's lack of interaction with children was, dispute how inappropriate the response was for the time. "Come here sweety," she cooed softly, transferring the babe into her own arms. She tickled his chin and smiled as the young baby giggle whimsically. "Of course I'll take him in," Susanna said, fixing the child in her arms. "I don't have much experience, but I can't let him go back now. So young and practically a soldier all ready," she murmured softly. Susan sighed and hugged the Sargent. "You are a good man. Now end this war quickly so no more families are broken," she whispered to him. "Please, let me give you one more meal before you all leave. It's the least we can do since we still have a home thanks t you folks," she said, patting him on the back.

Susanna came to Robert and exposed the child to him, her motherly smiling glowing on her face. "What do you think we should call him?" she asked. "I like the name Aedan for our little soldier."

wolvenrogue

Robert took the baby while she made dinner for everyone in her glory again with a house-full to cook for. "Aedan is a fine name." he said.  Knowing better,  the soldiers washed up and made themselves presentable.  Robert watched as Suzanna  boiled potatoes, and beans, and cooked up 3 rabbits Robert had shot the day before. All disappeared into the stew pot and soon the kitchen was filled with good smells. Aedan was very content in his new fathers arm and settled in sleeping soundly. 

Robert got up and went to his room. Laying Aedan on the bed, he opened a dresser drawer and removed the clothes from it. He took the pillow from his bed and lined the drawer with it. then tucked Aedan carefully in covering him with a clean white undershirt.  He kissed him sweetly on the forehead and came out to the kitchen.  Aedan is fast a sleep in bed, he announced and sat down at the table to wait for dinner.

Meantime the Sargent came in and the two men spent some time reminiscing about the battles they  had been in. It was only then that the Sargent discovered that Robert was a Yankee. He paused for a moment and got a funny look in his eyes. He looked down at the floor and back up. "I'm supposed to hate you Suh, but I just can't. Your a good man, and good men arent blue or grey. They all bleed red." "thank you Sargent, your a good man too!" Robert said. Their conversation was cut short when dinner was served. The two men shared a healthy respect for one another even though they fell on opposite sides in the conflict.

Lady Hecate

Susanna hummed softly as she cook, a habit she had picked up before Robert came into her life to make the house feel more lived in. He said that he liked her humming, so she continued the practice. She did not like the chatter about the battles the men had fought, but allowed it anyway. Boys would be boys, on or off the battle field.

It was when the discussion slid into sides and colors that Susanna grew silent, her back towards the men as they realized their political differences. Slowly Susanna felt her hand drift toward the kitchen knife, gripping its hilt as the awkward silence grew. No matter what, she would not allow a battle to break in her kitchen. She may feel inclined to the Sargent for giving them child, but it was Robert that she loved. At last, the phase past and Susanna felt herself relax and release the knife. Uncomfortable with this conversation, she pushed between the men and set the steaming pot in the center of the table. "No more talk of this war during dinner," she said, wagging a spoon at them. "Under this roof, we eat as a family. And I don't want little Aedan upset," she said spooning the stew into bowls and passing them around.

She smiled rubbed Robert's shoulders, making sure the men were fed before herself. Satisfied, she took a small bowl and settled at the table, listening to the many conversations. Eventually, against her advice, the war and exciting battles were brought into the light again. Susanna rose sharply, purposely making a ruckus. "Why do we even need this war?" she asked shrilly, surprising the soldiers. "What good does it do besides kill our babies and leave behind widows? I mean look at you, not a single man over 20. You are just children, for godsakes!" She sighed with frustration and crossed her arms, marching out of the kitchen. "I need some air," she mumbled behind her.

wolvenrogue

Robert Excused himself from the table and followed her to the kitchen. He stood behind her as she worked at the sink and wrapped his good arm around her. “I'm sorry we upset you dear. It is difficult for men who have been involved in mortal combat not to be effected by it and for those poor soles the battle isn't over.  Talking is there only release.  None-the-less we will respect this house and your wishes and there shall no longer be any such talk in this house.  As for issues as to sides in the conflict, we have no quarrel with one another, nor if given the choice would we go on, but things have been set in motion that cannot easily be stopped or remedied, and certainly not by me or these men. We have little choice but to do our best each day to live with honor. I will speak with the men and they will take their conversation outside if they feel compelled to continue.”  Robert kissed her gently on the cheek and then returned to the table where the men were seated.

“Gentlemen, you are our honored guests, and I fully understand your desire to discuss the war. However, my lady has requested that the war not be mentioned again in this house. Out of respect for her, I must insist that if you feel obligated to continue that conversation, you adjourn to the barn where your words will not reach her ears.” At that point three of the men went got up, went to the kitchen and thanked Suzanna for her hospitality and went to the barn. The rest including the Sargent turned their conversation to family and friends they had left behind.  The Sargent got up and went to the kitchen and spoke to Suzanna. “ My profound apologies Missus, Neither I nor your husband had the slightest intention of offending you, and there is no animosity between us..” His words were interrupted by small but clear cries from the bedroom.

Lady Hecate

Susanna sighed softly, releasing her soapy grip and allowing the dish to float to the bottom of the basin. "Thank you," she said, taking comfort in Robert's hold. "I just.. I don't know your world. Nor do I ever want to," she added quickly, shivering to the thought of war. "But every time you talk about it, I can see in your eyes that you are back there somehow. I just don't want to loose you for good this time. It's a silly thought, I know," she sad shaking her head.

Susanna smiled to his kiss, comforted by him greatly. She continued washing the dishes until the Sargent came in, pausing to listen to his words. At Aedan's cry, she turned toward the stove and put a small pan of milk to warm before address the Sargent. "I know you meant no harm," she said softly, turning to him at last. "It is hard to see how much this war has affected you all. It's easy for me to see that you have left the battle, but the battle will never leave you." She smiled sadly and patted his shoulder as she passed to collect the wailing child. "You are a good man, Sargent. Don't forget that. You and your men will always be welcomed in this home."

Susanna nodded to the men on their way to the barn as she entered her room and nestled the red faced child into her arms and brought him into the main room. "He'a going to have a lot of energy, this one," she said joyfully, gazing into his face. "You can tell by how healthy his lungs are." She chuckled and handed him to Robert. "Can you hold him dear? I need to fetch him some lunch."

Susanna returned in a moment with a saucer of warmed milk and a piece of bread as she reclaimed Aedan and began feeding him the milk-saturated meal. "Do you have kids, Sargent?" Susanna asked softly.

wolvenrogue

"well Ma'am, to tell the truth, I'm not sure.  My new wife was pregnant when I left.  I hope so, but I haven't heard" the Sargent answered. he looked rather sad at the thought. " You are lucky to have your husband home safe", he said, having no idea of the truth of the situation. Robert kept a close eye on Suzanna knowing that the comment must have been tough to hear.  The baby ate peacefully as they talked. when he fell asleep, Robert picked him up from Suzanna's lap." let me take him back to bed" he said. Robert let Suzanna have some time to chat with the soldiers as he gently tucked Aedan down into the dresser drawer. He would have to build a crib when his arm got better.

Robert returned to fund the soldiers bidding Suzanna good bye as they got back on the road yet again. Robert joined her in saying good bye. Once they had left, he sat on the porch with Susanna, and held her hand as she rested a weary head on his shoulder. "Its been quite a day my lady" he said, "quite a day."

Lady Hecate

Susanna sighed warily in response, resting against Robert comfortably. She closed her eyes for a moment, simply enjoying the warmth as she snuggled into his body. It was a feeling she had missed since her first husband's death, one that she was thankful to have back.

"We have a son," she giggled, looking up into his face. "A little child we can shape and mold. Isn't that something?" She smiled happily, kissing Robert on the cheek. "I've always wanted to be a mother. Maybe even with a little girl one day." She laughed softly and hugged him, feeling as if she was glowing. "I love you, Mr. Robert Dawes."

Susanna grinned and rose slightly to tenderly touch his left arm. "How does it feel today?" she asked, massaging it gently.

wolvenrogue

"There is no pain at least" Robert answered,"though I do wish that I had some use of it." His arm still hun at his side uselessly, amd though it kept him from looking disfigured, It did make him feel less of a man because of it. None the less he smiled back at her and change the subject back to Aedan, which he knew would brighten both their spirits.  Out of all the horrors the war had inflicted on them they had at least this blessing and each other. Despite the hardships he had faced and conquered, Robert knew they were better blessed tan most who went to war or who had family that did.

Robert hugged Suzanna tightly as they stood on the back porch and looked out over the little Maryland farm that they called home. It had been scarred with bullets and stained with blood, but it to survived. Its crops rising to meet the sunshine, and the little farm house and barn now sheltering the young family of three. Robert kissed Suzanna as she turned to the house in response to the tiny cries coming from the bedroom.  Robert made his way to the barn. He had seem a few unused boards and some tools and he had a project in mind. 

When Suzanna returned with Aedan in her arms Robert was gone from the porch and she could not see him in the fields. She did however hear odd noises coming from the barn.

Lady Hecate

Susanna stepped onto the porch, bouncing the giggling and freshly changed child in her arms. His eyes were bright and curious as if exploring the porch for the first time, which was true Susan quickly realized. He giggled to a moth that flew by, idly attempting to reach out and snatch it with chubby, uncoordinated hands. "Now where did Papa go?" she questioned out loud, wiggling a finger in the child's face. "He was just here a moment ago."

She followed the sounds towards the barn and chuckled softly, showing Aedan the sight she saw. "Is that Daddy? I think it is," she said humorously. "Now we just have to figure out what he's doing here alone." She held the child close and came to Robert's side, peering over his shoulder curiously. "What are you doing, hun?" she asked with a quick glance of concern to his injured arm. "Do you need some help?"

wolvenrogue

Robert looked up over his shoulder from his work at her words. The truth was that with one arm his progress was slow, and to do a good job it would be painstaking, but this he considered a father's prerogative if not duty, and despite his obvious handicap he wanted to do it himself.  He turned and Kissed he bride to be and his newly adopted son and said "This project is my present to you both and it would not do that you helped me make it.  I may be a bit slow, but one way or another, I'll manage this myself."

Over the next four days, even after toiling in the fields all day, he spent many hours in the barn.  He feared that Suzanna was becoming annoyed at him for it, but finally that evening it was finished. He threw some canvas over it and carried it to the  house and set it in the bedroom  and let the lanterns bright. Susan had been feeding Aedan when he came in and he returned to the kitchen to summon her. "Come to the bedroom and bring Aedan he said. I have something for you both. He beamed with pride as they walked in the room and beheld a beautiful new cradle, its soft finish glowing from many hours of rubbing by his only good hand. He kissed her and Aedan and said "I hope you like it," and looked in her eyes for approval.