BBCode and Why It's...urgh.

Started by TheElusiveKitten, January 25, 2016, 09:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheElusiveKitten

Has anyone else seemed to hit a brick wall of frustration when it comes to the BBCode here? Making a list. Nice and neat. Specific font and size. All looks well before posting, but as soon as I do post...BLAM BBCode in my face everywhere. All over. RUINED everything. It's been a constant struggle just to edit my thread, because its a continuous thing.

Anyone. Else. Have. This. Problem?

Sincerely,

A Frustrated Kitty Girl.

Gosco

Yeah I'm not a great fan of the BBCode either. I will usually use the Preview button to look at my post and move things around but it can be frustrating when the text you lay out doesn't post the way you want it.

I'm not an expert in forum management but I can imagine that changing it would be a pain in the butt for Vekseid, so I can't imagine it's going to change anytime soon. :-\

Sincerely,

ShoutBox Lurkers who were curious about this thread after talking in the Shoutbox. :-p

-Gosco
What would the world be like without the creative? Always the same.

"History? I'll teach you history. You want to know the difference between you and the you 5 minutes ago? The you 5 minutes ago had 5 minutes to live." -Anachronox

TheElusiveKitten

[quote author=Gosco link=topic=243375.msg12022666#msg12022666 date=1453778426]
Yeah I'm not a great fan of the BBCode either. I will usually use the Preview button to look at my post and move things around but it can be frustrating when the text you lay out doesn't post the way you want it.

I'm not an expert in forum management but I can imagine that changing it would be a pain in the butt for Vekseid, so I can't imagine it's going to change anytime soon. :-\

Sincerely,

ShoutBox Lurkers who were curious about this thread after talking in the Shoutbox. :-p

-Gosco
[/quote]

It isn't that I'm not a fan of BBCode, I am in fact a fan. I love the customization. It's the fact that even when I have finished editing my post, formatting and such, when I hit post, suddenly the glaring
is staring at me. There is no explanation for it. Not a single reason I should be seeing it as I am hitting the buttons necessary, not writing in my own code - which would probably work better at this rate.

I have erased, redid and reposted over and over again, and STILL the same issue lingers. I like formatted, clean, beautiful posts.

Frustrated and ready to set my thread on fire.

Sincerely,

Almost an Arson Kitty

Oniya

I took a look at your post code, and found several places where there was a 'font selection' without any corresponding text inside it.  These matched up with all of the [ / size ] notations in your post.  I am going to send you a repaired version to your PM box (it will be in a 'code' box, so all you have to do is hit the 'select' link, copy, and paste into your O/Os.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

TheElusiveKitten

Quote from: Oniya on January 25, 2016, 09:28:31 PM
I took a look at your post code, and found several places where there was a 'font selection' without any corresponding text inside it.  These matched up with all of the [ / size ] notations in your post.  I am going to send you a repaired version to your PM box (it will be in a 'code' box, so all you have to do is hit the 'select' link, copy, and paste into your O/Os.

You saw my O/O post?

But it doesn't make any sense. Why would it do that if I'm hitting the proper buttons? I AM SO RNAKSJRNAS D:

sobs. "Thank you."

Oniya

I saw your 'call for help' in the SB, then this thread, and then looked at your post history to see if I could find the problem.  :-)

As for the why of it - I'm thinking that maybe when you were setting the font size, your selections 'overlapped' somewhere in the blank areas between sections?  I can't say for certain, though.

I personally use the 'reveal codes' view (toggled with the red-bracketed arrow above the smileys) and then use the Preview button to make sure things look right before I post.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

AmberStarfire

I often use ordinary html, and I've found that when I save my post, it converts it into BBCode. So to some extent you can use html for some things. Tables don't seem to be one of them. For instance, I always add hyperlinks in html and it converts them to BBCode.

BBCode is fairly common across different forums. Maybe Veks might be willing to add to the list or table properties to extend its usefulness for tables.

FarFetched

There are some posting forums that change font, spacing, boldness, etc. "dynamically" while you type, and the forum saves those changes, but to be honest the programming for them is dodgy at best, and you're much better off using the tried and true BBcode. This way is more bug free and (I imagine) much, much easier to program because of it's similarity to HTML.