News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Ancient Curse

Started by Lady Jenn, September 27, 2015, 04:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Jenn

"I know this is weird but you spend long enough in this job and nothing surprises you," Lehmann said with a chuckle.

They finally found themselves on an empty section of road as the car started to speed up.

"Do you want to know how I ended up in this job?"

Darkleather

"Sure - it'll help pass the time"

Lady Jenn

"I've always been a bit...different," Lehmann said. "I swore I could see ghosts and fairies as a kid, to the point where my mum nearly got me sectioned. Then in my last year at uni I stumbled across a drink-addled teenager trying to perform some weird Satanic ritual, some kind of impulse made me now how to stop it before SPAIA could reach the scene to respond. Impressed them enough they offered to let me finish my studies at the site so I could train while I was studying."

Darkleather

"So you've only been doing this sort of thing for a year?  I would have thought you would need tons of training"

Lady Jenn

"I appreciate you thinking I'm a kid," Lehmann said with a laugh. "I've been out of uni for more than a year. But yeah, my training was shorter than some. Adepts, people with supernatural skills of their own like me, usually don't need to be fully briefed about how large SPAIA's task, unlike people recruited either from other agencies or impressing talent scouts."

Darkleather

"I never thought you were a kid - just assumed that you were experienced as you were out working on your own.

So, basically, what you're saying is that SPAIA grabs anyone they think suitable -- or is in the right place at the right time!"

Lady Jenn

"Most they pick up cos they get good school scores or the Feds flag them up," Lehmann replied. "Even Adepts rarely get found out how I did, I was just lucky...or you could say unlucky...enough to be on the scene when someone decided to screw with stuff they shouldn't be screwing around with."

Darkleather

"Sounds a bit hit and miss really.  Still, let's hope it works."

Geoff settled back in the passenger seat and made himself comfortable for the journey

Lady Jenn

As they finally pulled up to the Vegas hotel that housed their target a strange panel on the dashboard began to glow intermittently.

"Well, something's detecting our magic trigger," Lehmann said, getting out. "So either we're in the right place or we're already too late."

Darkleather

Geoff looked at the indicator with curiosity

"and let me guess - there's no way to tell which?"

Lady Jenn

"Well you're welcome to go in first to scout the place out," he said with a laugh as he loaded his gun, before holstering it out of view. "The guy gave his location as Room 428 in this hotel, let's see if we can get to that room without drawing unwanted attention to ourselves shall we?"

Darkleather

"Ok - sounds like a plan."

Geoff got out of the car and grabbed his laptop bag.  He looked around with subdued excitement - he'd never been to Las Vegas before, but the mission he was on didn't allow him to completely enjoy it

Lady Jenn

It only took a flash of his FBI badge to get the girl at reception to allow them through, finding their way to one of the upper floors. But as they stepped out of the lift Lehmann put a hand up to tell Geoff to stop. He reached into one packet, took out a handful of dust and threw it into the air. What it produced was what looked like shimmering glass in the air.

"Oh boy," Lehmann said with a wry laugh. "Now I didn't see THIS coming. Our mystery seller is a magic user."

Darkleather

"Woah Glitterdust - very cool."

Geoff chokes down the inner geek temporarily

"So, does that mean we have to do anything special?"

Lady Jenn

"We're gonna have to talk to him," Lehmann replied. "The pretty effect is a Sarian wall, very ancient magic which can only be passed by either very specific people or with the caster's permission. Otherwise you'd walk along this hallway and be ignorant that the seller was even here."

"I've not met many humans who know magic this well," came a woman's voice as a young woman stepped out from a door just beyond the barrier. She was dressed in a long red dress, with short silver hair and a pair of ice blue eyes. "I'm not what you were expecting am I?"

"I've been in this job long enough to stop expecting anything," Lehmann said, bowing. "I will admit I didn't expect this level of protection though."

Darkleather

As Geoff watched the woman and Lehmann talk, he very much felt like the third wheel.  Instead of trying to take part in the conversation, he slipped on a pair of reflective shades which he hoped would cover up the confusion in his eyes.  He then stood in the TV approved secret service stance with his hands crossed in front of him at waist level and hoped he looked tough

Lady Jenn

"Sarian walls are deep magic," Lehmann said, looking quizzically at her. "There are maybe two books in the entire SPAIA library which mention them, nevermind give any hint as to how to create one. How would you...unless..." Realization crossed Lehmann's face as the woman let out a laugh.

"I'm only showing this because I assume your friend here is trustworthy if SPAIA cleared you to bring him," she said, waving a hand. The wall parted in front of her, allowing them to approach, while at the same time a pair of almost crystalline butterfly wings became suddenly visible behind her back. "I have long since learnt it is best to hide my true identity if I am to remain safe within this world. My name is Mariza, it is a pleasure to meet you," she curtseyed, flashing a sweet smile at Geoff as she did so.

"If I'd realized what was going on I'd have warned you Geoff," Lehmann said with a laugh. "As you've probably guessed by now, our seller is one of the fae...or fairies...whatever term you want to use for them."

Darkleather

Geoff raised an eyebrow and tried to resist the temptation to blurt out a series of questions

He limited himself to

"Summer or Winter?"

and then mentally went through what he had with him to see if he had any cold iron on him

Lady Jenn

"One warning around my kind my friend," Mariza said, leading them towards the door to her room as she sealed the spell behind them again. "I can read your thoughts so you should be very careful. And no, cold iron is an old wives tale you have nothing to fear if you carry any, you wouldn't have got this far if you did."

"But why the deception?" Lehmann asked. "I mean...I understand hiding your own nature, but why go to such lengths to sell that book?"

"I had no intention of selling that book," Mariza said, leading them into a well-furnished and surprisingly tidy room. "I could not contact SPAIA directly so I left a trail of crumbs for you to follow. Any stupid enough to try and buy the book will find a fake seller with a book which couldn't even teach the reader how to make rabbits appear from hats."

Darkleather

"You can read my thoughts...oh"

Geoff desperately tried not to think about how she looked in that dress...and then realised the more he tried, the worse it would be.  Instead he concentrated on the conversation.

"Why didn't you just contact SPAIA directly?"

Lady Jenn

"SPAIA don't exactly have a phone number you can call in an emergency unless you're an agent," Lehmann replied.

"Besides, as I said before I do not reveal my true nature unless I have to," Mariza continued. "If the average human had even the faintest concept of the number of fae who walk among them the reaction might be...problematic to say the least."

Darkleather

"so, all this was done to lure SPAIA here.

How very spider and web-like"

Lady Jenn

"You have no idea what my kind have been through," Mariza snapped before Lehmann could say anything. "Or what bringing this book here cost me." She turned around to face them, letting go of another enchantment to reveal a nasty wound across her stomach. She sagged slightly, Lehmann managing to keep her upright. "I should be using my magic to allow my body to heal, instead I have gone to all this effort to ensure this book stayed out of the hands of greedy humans with no concept of what this book is."

"He didn't mean it," Lehmann said, shooting Geoff a fierce glare. "Stay here, I have medical kits in my car." As he turned to leave he threw Geoff his gun. "Anything happens to her this is on you, understood?" He then exited the room with all available speed.

Darkleather

Geoff nearly fumbled the gun, but caught it and stood there with it held in what he hoped was a nonchalant fashion

"On me?  What...are you serious?"

As Lehmann headed out of the room, Geoff turned back to the woman with a nervous grin

"So...err....what did that to you?"

Lady Jenn

"It is not just humans who chase this book," Mariza said, lying back on the sofa of the room with a groan. "One of the...darker creatures of the world found my before I could make it here safely, it took all the skill I had to escape him but before my teleportation spell had finished it caught me with one of its claws, if he had done it even a moment earlier god only knows where I would have ended up."

She opened her eyes and watched him for a moment, a smile playing across her lips.

"Has he told you the story of the Battle of the World Tree?"