Warhammer in any incarnation?

Started by ryanmcallister80, October 31, 2011, 07:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Used to, but stopped due to PC problems and never picked it back up. I had one of every Disorder character, highest was a Magus in his mid 30s.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 08, 2011, 08:14:10 AM
Yeah but every career has its perks. Rat catcher gets resistance to disease. (which is helpful later on if you meet the skaven).
My character started as a hunter in the game we play. Lots of skills and talents. By the time I get her thru ghost strider, she'll be one of the sneakiest folks you'll never see in the woods.

Thing isin WHFRP you don't start off as a vampire hunter,you have to build to it.
Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 08, 2011, 04:38:26 AM
You can play those characters, but you have to work up to them. You don't get to play them right from the start.
Problem is the fans won't tell you that, they'll go on and on and on about how cool that a rat catcher has a small but vicious dog, or how the party died to dysentery before they completed their 'quest'...  Or some such dirt wallowing, and how it's NOT D&D and all that.

It's why I skipped the first two incarnations.  All the wargames (and a couple of computer games) showed or had you as somewhat awesome people, but the games were never about that.  All the fans painted a much bleaker, hopeless picture, and they LIKED it...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chris Brady on November 11, 2011, 05:37:12 AM
Problem is the fans won't tell you that, they'll go on and on and on about how cool that a rat catcher has a small but vicious dog, or how the party died to dysentery before they completed their 'quest'...  Or some such dirt wallowing, and how it's NOT D&D and all that.

It's why I skipped the first two incarnations.  All the wargames (and a couple of computer games) showed or had you as somewhat awesome people, but the games were never about that.  All the fans painted a much bleaker, hopeless picture, and they LIKED it...

It's not all darkness, but yes, darkness and the fading of the light is a MAJOR point in the setting. Magic is literally a double edged sword. You can do great things with it. (Our Journeyman mage literally left a pair of smoking shoes where a Minotaur with a Rune Axe once stood. (40+ wounds in one spell roll. NASTY)

I find it ironic that the only person who has not had a 'wild' short is my Scout, she's gotten.. TWO Ulric Furys in like.. 2 years of play (most sundays) but she's so good with the bow that most 'grunts' don't last too long. Granted 2 points of AP is a great way to punch through most armor and hurt folks.   

Cold Heritage

Yeah, like Chris said, this is the only time anyone's actually told me I could play something like that. I was given the impression you start at scrub tier, and you die at scrub tier, and it's all about being super-dirty plague infested peasants in a world of dirt and plague who die in one combat and if they survive they are 98% likely to die from their wounds becoming infected.

Having to go through that does not really appeal too much. I played enough 1 hit point level 1 characters in AD&D2e.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

TheGlyphstone

The 'fans' are misselling it then. It's similar in Dark Heresy - you are scum (one class/job is actually called Scum), disposable mooks for a boss who's way more powerful than you.  The fun isn't in failure (that's called Dwarf Fortress  :D ), it's in victory by being as sneakily underhanded and devious as the things you're fighting or more so to even the odds. Your job is to survive despite your mook status, to succeed at your task against overwhelming odds.

Then do it again, slightly stronger, because 40K is GRIMDARK. ;D

meikle

Quote from: Cold Heritage on November 11, 2011, 12:04:26 PM
Yeah, like Chris said, this is the only time anyone's actually told me I could play something like that. I was given the impression you start at scrub tier, and you die at scrub tier, and it's all about being super-dirty plague infested peasants in a world of dirt and plague who die in one combat and if they survive they are 98% likely to die from their wounds becoming infected.

Warhammer isn't D&D, though, and the PCs in WFRP aren't the superheroes who go around punching dragons in the face.  It's not that brand of heroic fantasy.

It is a game where getting into a fight is a dangerous proposition and you'll die if you're reckless.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: meikle on November 11, 2011, 12:44:26 PM
Warhammer isn't D&D, though, and the PCs in WFRP aren't the superheroes who go around punching dragons in the face.  It's not that brand of heroic fantasy.

It is a game where getting into a fight is a dangerous proposition and you'll die if you're reckless.

There's that too. You're rewarded for overcoming obstacles and solving problems, with or without combat - sometimes the rewards are greater if you succeeded without employing violence.

Cold Heritage

I though Gotrex was exactly a superhero who punched dragons in the face.

I've only read one actual Warhammer novel, and it featured a witch finder who single-handedly triumphed over some undead and vampires using grit, zeal, a flintlock, and faith. The chaos army book I have has fictional pieces that show this one Reiklander knight on the run because he got into a Chaos cult without knowing it and had people chasing him all the way to chaos land. He ends up becoming a chaos knight. It in no way prepared me for the 'you are a skidmark, prepare to die of an infected hangnail' of the rpg.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Chris Brady

The problem with Gotrek the Troll-Slayer is that he's a 'terrible' Troll-Slayer, he's supposed to die a warrior death, but he keeps failing by killing everything that challenges him.  It's supposed to be 'funny'.  Instead, we get to see a true WFRP 'superhero' in action, and some people, like myself, look at this and wonder why the previous two incarnations of the game weren't like that?  (Although 2e did have the 'Naked Dwarf Syndrome', which I assume was like that old WEG Star Wars Wookie Ablative Armour Issue, but as I've never played WFRP, I am NOT claiming that's what it is, just what I heard.  Which may be wrong.  If I am, correct me.)

That was my beef.  Apparently, 3e changed that, but the funky dice and the prohibitive price tag for the starter box puts it out of my reach.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Part of the thing is, like Call of Cthulhu, is if your GM isn't good you wind up with a high body count.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.