Interest Check - "Once Upon a Time" group story (Always recruiting!)

Started by Aislinn, February 20, 2016, 11:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aislinn

Quote from: Amelita on March 31, 2016, 12:43:58 PM
Anything specific you had in mind?

Honestly....no. Just something that gets people's attention. I'm open to ideas. =-) I've been fighting a migraine today so the brain no-worky so well right now.  :-(
"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Amelita

Quote from: Aislinn on March 31, 2016, 10:16:50 PM
Honestly....no. Just something that gets people's attention. I'm open to ideas. =-) I've been fighting a migraine today so the brain no-worky so well right now.  :-(

I'll see if something pretty appears when I open photoshop <3

RP Etiquette ~ Tumblr ~ Mumbler
~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~
Ons & Offs ~ Post Tracker ~ Ladies in Red

Flower

Is there an estimated time frame for when this is going to start?

Ember Star

Quote from: Flower on April 01, 2016, 03:18:25 PM
I'd answer, but the hat man is the one with the clock not I. Not that said clock would do either you or I any good anyhow, it was still broken last I saw of it.

(Sorry. Not sorry.  :P)
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Emjay

So here are my two charries, all new and officially approved. If anyone would like connections just let me know.

Character Name: Zhu 'Faye' Feiyan | Hua Mulan

Cannon or Off-Script: Off-Script

Job in Storybrooke: Reporter for the local newspaper

Character Concept: Zhu Feiyan is your typical Storybrooke resident. She has lived there her entire life. The daughter of hardworking Chinese immigrants her's was a strict upbringing. Her mother and father always complained that she was too willful and outspoken. Faye rebelled against their old worldview while trying to maintain some level respect for her elders. Her grandmother was different from her parents though. The old woman always instilled the importance of independence and self-worth in her grandchild. Against her parent's wishes she decided to pursue her passions for journalism. She had grand dreams of leaving her sleepy hometown for the city, any city really, and truly beginning her career as a hard hitting reporter...and yet here she was almost a decade later. Faye currently works at the local newspaper. Nothing of note ever happens in Storybrooke, the kiss of death for any aspiring reporter that longs for the drama of world news. Still Faye retains her stubborn demeanor, throwing herself into her work with the same passion that she has always possessed. She seems to have a sort of wall constructed around herself as if afraid to open herself up to any sort of disappointment or what she likes to call 'unnecessary distraction'. "Distraction from what?" some may ask. Who knows. Faye isn't really sure herself.

Level of Control: I do have some ideas in my head of how her past was but I am open to plot twists and other surprises for what has yet to take place in her story.

Face Claim: Jamie Chung

Character Name: Markus Jäger | Hansel

Job in Storybrooke: Pub Owner

Character Concept: Life had never been easy for Markus Jäger at least not until recently. His mother had died when he was young, leaving behind not just him but his father and his twin sister. It wasn't long afterwards until his father married again but he and sister soon learned that his step-mother was a cruel woman. He grew up to be very angry and rebellious. He got into fights at school, his grades left more than to be desired, and he had more than a few brushes with the law. In his teens it proved to be one too many and he got himself in a juvenile detention center. His year there changed him. He saw a glimpse of what his future could be and he didn't like it. When he came home he decided to clean up his act. He graduated from high school and got a job. He kept his head down at home, trying his best to keep his temper in check. Eventually his father and step-mother passed away, leaving the twins the family candy shop. After saving up some money they did some major renovations and turned the candy shop into a pub. Now Markus and sister run the pub. He doesn't really approve of her private investigation business but Marlie is Marlie, you kind of have to accept her as she is. He's generally a friendly sort; an agreeable person and a respectable member of the community despite his past but he finds that he isn't very close with many people. His troubled past has left him somewhat jaded. He gets the feeling that people tend to underestimate him but Markus is far more observant and intelligent than he looks.

Level of Control: Currently have some things planned with Kokaine regarding Hansel and Gretel's past I am open to plot twists and other surprises for what has yet to take place in his story granted they are also approved by my writing partner.

Face Claim: Charlie Hunnam
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aislinn

Quote from: Flower on April 01, 2016, 03:18:25 PM

I will be trying to work on the opening posts Sunday and Monday. That being said, life is pretty busy right now so I will estimate within the next week, the first post should be up.

As far as timing goes, we should probably chat about that. As I said early on in this post, speed is not something I'm after here. In other group games I've done, I've usually set guidelines about when posting should occur. I'm not sure if that is something that is done here but I'll put the idea out here and see what people think.

Ideally....I'd like to see everyone post their replies within a week of my last post. If you are a writer that enjoys speedier stories, you are certainly welcome to start separate conversation threads and open up your character's world. The only thing I ask is that you contact me once the thread is made so I can link it to the main thread.

If you are a writer that feels you might have an issue replying once a week, let me know. I feel we have an amazing group of writers here that are knowledgeable about group games so if I'm asking something that isn't in the norm here, PLEASE let me know.

One thing I would like to to remind everyone....even though I'm sure you all are well aware. This is a collaborative story....and as such I feel it's very important to me that everyone is involved with the pre-planning stages. I want to hear opinions and thoughts so this story becomes awesome and lasts a long time. =-)

I will be updating the character list on the OOC shortly. =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

VonDoom

Sounds alright to me, really.

Emjay, the video link in Mulan's name doesn't work -- 'the video isn't available'. Might be regional, not sure.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Ember Star

I have a hectic life and even if I get on everyday I might not be able to work on a reply. Being either tired or not having much time. That said, since this is my only RP here, I'll do my best and won't have other RP distractions.

I do have one question. Are we gonna start this off as in big scene with a posting order? Or are we going the chaos route and foregoing the posting order in favor of people posting whenever they can?
"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

Emjay

Quote from: VonDoom on April 02, 2016, 03:59:47 AM
Sounds alright to me, really.

Emjay, the video link in Mulan's name doesn't work -- 'the video isn't available'. Might be regional, not sure.

Huh it still works for me. You're probably right, it's regional thing. I've gone ahead and fixed it though. It was just a song, kind of like her theme song.
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table]
[tr]
[td]
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Aislinn

Quote from: Ember Star on April 02, 2016, 10:54:56 PM
I have a hectic life and even if I get on everyday I might not be able to work on a reply. Being either tired or not having much time. That said, since this is my only RP here, I'll do my best and won't have other RP distractions.

I do have one question. Are we gonna start this off as in big scene with a posting order? Or are we going the chaos route and foregoing the posting order in favor of people posting whenever they can?

I'm thinking that chaos is a good thing sometimes. Posting orders can really bog a story down so I think it would work better if people just post when they can...as long as it's within that week. If the week passes and a few people haven't posted, I will most likely move on and pm them to see what's up. Obviously life comes first...and emergencies happen. Communication is the key. =-)

And yes...a mass post first. Like I said, if people want to branch off into smaller conversation threads, I'm all for that. Just let me know in a pm.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Ember Star

The only thing I have against the chaos route is that it can become extremely confusing, especially in a group of six or more all in the same scene, and people can easily get lost or be put off because they don't know what's happening. However, I think if that starts happening, adjustments can easily be made.

Aislinn

Quote from: Ember Star on April 03, 2016, 12:11:54 AM
The only thing I have against the chaos route is that it can become extremely confusing, especially in a group of six or more all in the same scene, and people can easily get lost or be put off because they don't know what's happening. However, I think if that starts happening, adjustments can easily be made.

I completely understand your point and agree. My hope is that I will be able to sort of tie everything together with my own posts so the story line stays on the right path and keeps everyone on the same page. But yes, if things start going sideways we may need to revert to a posting order.
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Amelita

Did you open up the OOC yet, Aislinn?

It would be nice to have a social spot :)

~ There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed ~

Sergeant

Since this will be my first group game I am wondering about the past stories.

Since the tv show uses a lot of flashbacks that all make sense in the finales, will we be doing it like that as well? This means actually figuring out everything before the start, but that's a lot of work without even knowing how other characters will be besides our own.

I hope that makes sense lol

Aislinn

Quote from: Amelita on April 03, 2016, 04:00:47 AM
Did you open up the OOC yet, Aislinn?

It would be nice to have a social spot :)

I didn't realize that was where ooc socializing would go. I thought that was what this thread was for. My bad.

I'll get that opened up later day. =-)

Quote from: PocketWatch on April 03, 2016, 05:29:33 AM
Since this will be my first group game I am wondering about the past stories.

Since the tv show uses a lot of flashbacks that all make sense in the finales, will we be doing it like that as well? This means actually figuring out everything before the start, but that's a lot of work without even knowing how other characters will be besides our own.

I hope that makes sense lol

I will only employ the use of flashbacks if I need to and only if it would enhance a story. All players involved would know ahead of time. If a writer wants to use flashbacks for their own stories, I'm okay with that but if it involved another writer, they need to clear it with me and the other writer before posting.

Thanks for the question PokcetWatch! Please submit your mini-sheet for your character ASAP. We are getting ready to start the story. =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Sergeant

Sorry about that, haha! Had a hectic week. Here we go;

Character Name: Glenn Sahar | Genie
Job in Storybrooke: Handyman
Character Concept: Glenn doesn't really remember much about his childhood. He doesn't remember or chooses to forget. As an orphan he had been put with multiple potential families in the hopes of finding a real home, but none of them could deal with his stubborn and difficult personality. And his adolescent years? Let's just say those weren't any better. Don't get it twisted, it were some of the best years of his life, but as an adult he is very thankful he got through them without too much damage to himself or anybody else. (Even though some time was spent inside prison cells). In Storybrooke Glenn is known as the handyman, always happy to help anybody who needs him. Currently, he fixes issues inside the many houses Mr. Gold rents out. Preferably he'd be his own boss, but because of money issues he is on retainer until he can save enough and start his own business.
Level of Control: Very open to plot twists.
Face Claim: Dwayne Johnson (around 30 y/o)

Amelita

Quote from: Aislinn on April 03, 2016, 12:56:12 PM
I didn't realize that was where ooc socializing would go. I thought that was what this thread was for. My bad.

I'll get that opened up later day. =-)

woot!

Aislinn

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=246429.0

OOC thread is open and ready to go!

If you haven't already, please forward a list to me of characters that you would like to see join our story. I'm compiling a list for potential writers to scan for inspiration if they are having difficulties coming up with a character concept.

Next step...opening post!
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Rel Mayer

Heya! I think my character is missing from the roster.

:) But heya everyone!

Aislinn

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 03, 2016, 07:21:42 PM
Heya! I think my character is missing from the roster.

:) But heya everyone!

Yep...I have two more to add. =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Devilyn Sydhe

It has been such a long time that I'm not sure I can still put a coherent paragraph together, but this concept has captured my attention.  If you are still accepting and will have me, I would be interested in attempting to put together either a Robin Hood or Captain Hook influenced character.  I know very little about the tv show beyond the curse concept, so I'm not sure if either character would need to be played more toward canon or would be fine as oc.

Rel Mayer

Quote from: KalebHyde on April 04, 2016, 10:40:43 AM
It has been such a long time that I'm not sure I can still put a coherent paragraph together, but this concept has captured my attention.  If you are still accepting and will have me, I would be interested in attempting to put together either a Robin Hood or Captain Hook influenced character.  I know very little about the tv show beyond the curse concept, so I'm not sure if either character would need to be played more toward canon or would be fine as oc.

Oh my gosh, Kaleb! You're back from the dead. :)

It's great to see you around again!

Aislinn

Quote from: KalebHyde on April 04, 2016, 10:40:43 AM

Hello! We would love to have you! Hmmm...as much as I would love to add either of those characters to our lineup, I'm currently thinking that if we did, it probably needs to be someone who has a little more knowledge of have they have been woven into the show. I'm not saying 'No'....at all...but would you be interested in discussing some alternate ideas? I have a whole page of Disney/Fairy Tale characters that might work just as well and you would be completely open to interpreting them as you wish. =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

Ember Star

Aislinn, may I suggest editing the top post of this thread to include the "wanted characters" and the "characters we have" lists as well as a link to the OOC so people can see the characters? It may help new players get their bearings if they can immediately see that part of the information.

Aislinn

Quote from: Ember Star on April 04, 2016, 11:55:06 AM
Aislinn, may I suggest editing the top post of this thread to include the "wanted characters" and the "characters we have" lists as well as a link to the OOC so people can see the characters? It may help new players get their bearings if they can immediately see that part of the information.

Got it! Will do that later today. =-)

Edit : DONE! =-)
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”