Kinsey Woes

Started by Missy, November 11, 2023, 10:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Missy

So as it turns out Indiana has become the latest battleground for the Republican traditionalists culture wars  as they taken steps to try to defund the Kinsey Institute which has met with some success unfortunately as the law has passed and the institutes host, Indiana University, has begun to take steps to conform with these new laws. (though really that may be a generous offer to folk whom I see as little better than fascists)

Honestly, it's hugely disappointing, even if it's not even remotely surprising. Everyone knows the religious right would love to create a purity state - and anyone who knows anything knows conservatism in America is hijacked by their extreme (largely on account of America's two party fetish). Really though it has disturbing implications for American society and American liberty (the real liberty, the one equally for everyone and all, not the 'liberty' evoked by the ideologue). For one thing the American ideo-conservative conflates human sexuality with everything queer, meaning attacks on just such as this are little more than opening shots at other things they express intense bigotries for (not that that's any great secret). The sad bit is there are a great many conservative who care little about queerness in truth, but support and sustain these policies in adjacency nonetheless.

*sighs* perhaps I really do need to get on top of my CC and make preparations to emmigrate to Canada in some reasonably foreseeable future.