People still love Cartoons right?

Started by ElectronicVice, March 21, 2018, 05:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Too bad the voice actor for Woodhouse died. I'm waiting for the new season DVD price to drop so I can check it out and how different it will be from the first seven seasons.

Anyone remember Eek! The Cat? That's another one where watching it again as an adult, you really see a lot of stuff not intended for the kids. I particularly love their parody of the Care Bears where one of them is a pessimistic French realist straight man to the other naive simps.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mirrah

Quote from: Mathim on March 28, 2018, 03:24:54 PM
Such as? You got me all curious now.  8-)

Shows like The Tick, Beetlejuice, X-Men, Batman (The Animated Series and Beyond), Animaniacs, Looney Toons, Pirates of Dark Water (which I can only vaguely recall), Transformers (especially the original and Beast Wars), Inspector Gadget, Pink Panther, and more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

And one of my absolute favorites,
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

TFcommando

Gravity Falls will be getting a full series release from Shout Factory.  The implications are staggering if they can do other Disney cartoons.
Behold!  My O&Os
Highly interested in
Canon Character Roleplay and System-based Roleplay

Mathim

Quote from: Mirrah on April 03, 2018, 04:13:24 PM
Shows like The Tick, Beetlejuice, X-Men, Batman (The Animated Series and Beyond), Animaniacs, Looney Toons, Pirates of Dark Water (which I can only vaguely recall), Transformers (especially the original and Beast Wars), Inspector Gadget, Pink Panther, and more that I can't recall off the top of my head.

And one of my absolute favorites,

I have the Tick on what I assume is a bootleg DVD but has all the episodes from the entire series, and while I never watched Transformers and Inspector Gadget started to wear on me even at a young age, I do remember Pirates of Dark Water vaguely as well (only ever saw one episode but it looked interesting at the time...I think I was 3 or 4 at the time), and I loved the Pink Panther cartoon, the supporting characters were quirky as all hell. I haven't got to watch Gargoyles yet but my friend gave me some episodes so once I get all of them, I'll start bingeing.

Quote from: TFcommando on April 03, 2018, 04:42:51 PM
Gravity Falls will be getting a full series release from Shout Factory.  The implications are staggering if they can do other Disney cartoons.

Ooh! DVD release? Awesome! Gotta love Shout Factory, they're the ones who put Beetlejuice on DVD too. I wonder if it'll coincide with the release date of Rick and Morty season 3 DVDs...I won't be able to decide which one to start watching first!
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Sain

Do people here watch or have watched Wakfu?

Been some time since I saw them, but really loved all three seasons :-) Has such great characters and though I don't understand a word French does sound quite expressive and beautiful (especially in the opening and closing songs...)
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Mirrah

Quote from: Mathim on April 04, 2018, 03:58:42 PM
I have the Tick on what I assume is a bootleg DVD but has all the episodes from the entire series, and while I never watched Transformers and Inspector Gadget started to wear on me even at a young age, I do remember Pirates of Dark Water vaguely as well (only ever saw one episode but it looked interesting at the time...I think I was 3 or 4 at the time), and I loved the Pink Panther cartoon, the supporting characters were quirky as all hell. I haven't got to watch Gargoyles yet but my friend gave me some episodes so once I get all of them, I'll start bingeing.

Ooh! DVD release? Awesome! Gotta love Shout Factory, they're the ones who put Beetlejuice on DVD too. I wonder if it'll coincide with the release date of Rick and Morty season 3 DVDs...I won't be able to decide which one to start watching first!

Haha. All good, and some great memories! Nostalgia, really. I hope you enjoy Gargoyles when you get to it!

Quote from: Sain on May 03, 2018, 04:35:35 PM
Do people here watch or have watched Wakfu?

Been some time since I saw them, but really loved all three seasons :-) Has such great characters and though I don't understand a word French does sound quite expressive and beautiful (especially in the opening and closing songs...)

I've never heard of that, Sain. If I ever catch it with subtitles, I will try watching it! Thanks!

Sain

Quote from: Mirrah on May 04, 2018, 06:11:10 AM
Haha. All good, and some great memories! Nostalgia, really. I hope you enjoy Gargoyles when you get to it!

I've never heard of that, Sain. If I ever catch it with subtitles, I will try watching it! Thanks!

It has English subtitled version in Netflix at least.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

Oniya

I recently started watching 'The Nomad of Nowhere' by Rooster Teeth (same folks that brought you RWBY).  Definitely adorable - but also not a 'kids' show'.  (One of the commenters said that it went from CN Samurai Jack to AS Samurai Jack in 6 episodes.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Deamonbane

Pretty sure this belongs here as Anime purists say that since it's not Japanese, it's not anime soooooo....

Avatar: The Last Airbender has to be one of my favorites.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mirrah

Quote from: Sain on May 04, 2018, 09:16:19 AM
It has English subtitled version in Netflix at least.

I'll try to find it! Maybe tomorrow, if I get a chance. :-)

Quote from: Oniya on May 04, 2018, 11:07:50 AM
I recently started watching 'The Nomad of Nowhere' by Rooster Teeth (same folks that brought you RWBY).  Definitely adorable - but also not a 'kids' show'.  (One of the commenters said that it went from CN Samurai Jack to AS Samurai Jack in 6 episodes.)

I didn't know they made another! I never got too far with RWBY though. I'm definitely going to try to find The Nomad To Nowhere and see if I like it.

Quote from: Deamonbane on May 04, 2018, 03:41:57 PM
Pretty sure this belongs here as Anime purists say that since it's not Japanese, it's not anime soooooo....

Yaaaaas. Avatar! <3

Oniya

Quote from: Mirrah on May 05, 2018, 12:40:18 AM
I didn't know they made another! I never got too far with RWBY though. I'm definitely going to try to find The Nomad To Nowhere and see if I like it.

The fam watches RWBY regularly.  I stumbled onto Nomad a couple of weeks ago.  You won't have much catching up to do if you like it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Mirrah

Quote from: Oniya on May 05, 2018, 01:05:05 AM
The fam watches RWBY regularly.  I stumbled onto Nomad a couple of weeks ago.  You won't have much catching up to do if you like it.

Thanks, Oniya! I'll search for it tomorrow!

Mathim

In the last year or two I finally got around to seeing ATLA, but couldn't get past 4 or 5 episodes, it just seemed too kiddy to me. Maybe if I had tried a few years before, around when it first came out, I might have enjoyed it more but I didn't have the patience to keep going when I actually did. I can see why it does appeal to people, though, and if I'd gotten through more of it I'm sure I'd have wanted to finish but the early stuff didn't do enough for me.

Nerdess

If you haven't jumped on board the Steven Universe train, right now is a REEEEEEALLY good time to start from the beginning and ride that choo choo all the frick the way to today.  Rumor has it we're coming up on the series finale sometime this year or early next year, and by the time you're finished devouring all four-and-a-half seasons worth of the show you'll be good to be an utterly broken, emotional husk like all the rest of us fans.

I mean, maybe it's a LITTLE ON BRAND for me to be completely head over heels for Steven Universe given my favorite anime of all time (hint, hint, look left), but I honestly think it's one of the most emotionally intelligent television series I've seen in a long, long time, animated or otherwise.  While also being adorable and funny when it's not ripping your heart out or making you appreciate just how palatable it can make incredibly dense topics.  It's a show that teaches kids about consent in multiple different aspects without being preachy about it!  It's amazing!
o / o -- roll the dice -- a / a

Verdi

Cartoons are literally almost all that I watch. I loved Gravity Falls and Welcome To The Wayne. Lately I've been watching Phineas and Ferb and Spongebob. I even watch the old 90s ones like Rugrats and Hey Arnold. Then of course there's the adult shows, like Family Guy, Rick and Morty, American Dad, and The Cleveland Show. One of my roommates once asked me if I'm a child because all I watch are cartoons, lol.

Mathim

Quote from: Nerdess on May 08, 2018, 06:40:25 PM
If you haven't jumped on board the Steven Universe train, right now is a REEEEEEALLY good time to start from the beginning and ride that choo choo all the frick the way to today.  Rumor has it we're coming up on the series finale sometime this year or early next year, and by the time you're finished devouring all four-and-a-half seasons worth of the show you'll be good to be an utterly broken, emotional husk like all the rest of us fans.

I mean, maybe it's a LITTLE ON BRAND for me to be completely head over heels for Steven Universe given my favorite anime of all time (hint, hint, look left), but I honestly think it's one of the most emotionally intelligent television series I've seen in a long, long time, animated or otherwise.  While also being adorable and funny when it's not ripping your heart out or making you appreciate just how palatable it can make incredibly dense topics.  It's a show that teaches kids about consent in multiple different aspects without being preachy about it!  It's amazing!

Someone recommended Steven Universe to me and I tried but that first episode really made me angry. I got the strong impression it was going to be a series making fun of an obese child and as someone who was bullied throughout life for that kind of thing it really put me off. They assured me it wasn't like that at all but I wasn't interested in continuing, so maybe I ought to try and give it another chance since that was a little over a year ago?

Oniya

Quote from: Mathim on May 08, 2018, 09:58:25 PM
Someone recommended Steven Universe to me and I tried but that first episode really made me angry. I got the strong impression it was going to be a series making fun of an obese child and as someone who was bullied throughout life for that kind of thing it really put me off. They assured me it wasn't like that at all but I wasn't interested in continuing, so maybe I ought to try and give it another chance since that was a little over a year ago?

I hear about Steven Universe from Little Oni - Steven is a really positive character throughout the series.

Cold Heritage

Archer's great and all, don't get me wrong, but I am still super bummed out that we never got more than two episodes of the Xtacles. Which is weird because I didn't really like Frisky Dingo all that much. I sort of want to try and get back into the Venture Brothers, but I forget where I stopped watching and where they picked up again in the intervening years and hiatuses.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Lux12

Avatar is a show that I can say I respect. When it came out, I was getting close to being or already was a freshman in high school and most western animation had lost it's appeal to me, but I always respected Avatar because it did things not a lot of fantasy series or other animated shows actually bothered to do. They drew inspiration from different real world cultures with utterly stereotyping them or turning into an irritating appropriation fest, it touched on subjects that other shows, especially those with a much more comedic bent would have ignored or danced around, and actually showed that the creators put some fucking time and effort into the world building. Though I wouldn't call it "mature" in the sense most people would, it did touch on things a lot of western animation wouldn't at the time. I mean, it actually bothered to touch on the horrors of war, it discussed genocide, and it touched on other subjects people would shy away from and they managed to pull it off without traumatizing the kids it was aimed at. It was sort like a wuxia Game of Thrones (granted I had yet to begin reading the books at the time and the HBO series didn't exist, but I trust what I mean is clear) for younger audiences and for that, I will always respect it. Now if this is what they were able to do with a cartoon aimed at a younger audience, why the ever loving fuck don't they do something similar for much older audiences?

Now honestly, I barely pay attention to western animation these days because frankly, there's not much that interests me, partly because most western animated series are comedies. Now there are some that I like, but generally speaking, I find it harder to be engaged with comedic works for some reason and even primarily comedic anime have an extremely hard time drawing me in. Actually it's even more difficult for me to get into comedic anime. When comedies do draw my attention it's usually because they say something about humanity or life or just touch upon things I have experience with. While I haven't paid as close attention to it as other people, I do have a lot of respect for Rick and Morty. Also, stop me if you've heard this one before, but Bojack Horseman is incredible. If a show is going to be comedic, I'd hope they'd take cues from this one.

I realized that in many cases, I need that undercurrent of seriousness, pain, or anger to make comedy hit home for me. To my mind, the best comedies don't just discuss experiences that people have or present bizarre situations, but confront them.  Much of the best comedy in my eyes is on some level confrontational or even oddly philosophical. I mean, if you were to look at Seinfeld, whether it's intentional or not, it's basically about the absurd extent to which our lives are ruled by seemingly arbitrary norms and it rubs it in our faces. Bojack does much the same thing. It may be painful to watch, but it's the sort of comedy I need more of in my life. It may sound strange, but the tragic elements of the series are actually kind of therapeutic to watch, at least for me. Yes it's a comedy, but it doesn't ignore pain and it's afraid to go to really painful places which for me is important. Much of my own sense of humor is pretty dark, tinged with anger, or based in some kind of deep seated frustration. I don't know how many people consciously realize it, but there are people who need that sort of comedy. They need it to be tinged with pain because everything else can feel insincere or doesn't help them confront their own agony. I don't know if I'd say the show has saved my life, but it made it easier to actually deal with some of the internal turmoil I've had to deal with.

Anyway....Sorry for the lengthy digression. I was thinking about some things as I was writing this post.

Heathcliff Moors

I've no doubt just grown up but I don't like the new cartoons at all. I don't like the style of art or animation whatever you want to call it. I did like the artwork in Stripperella though as that to me looked old school style.

I still like some of the older stuff like Scooby, Flintstones/Hanna Barbera stuff and Looney Tunes but I couldn't watch a lot of it in one sitting.

CaptainNexus616

It can truly be amazing how as an adult you can go back and watch a show you loved as a kid.

Last year when the first trailer dropped for Season 5 of Samurai Jack, I went back and watched a good deal of the old episodes in anticipation for the new ones. Something a many of others can attest to I'm sure  ;)

That part I loved the most though was the love put into it. From the get go, it was set up to resolve Jack's story for those who waited 13 years to find out. Aimed at that age group who grew up with the original series and presented in a more mature format without losing most of its charm.

It tells how much the creator of these cartoons can also love their creations just as much as the fans. The ending felt choppy by a lot of people, but regardless I still love the fact, despite 13 years the people who made this show to begin with wanted to come back and finish the story they started.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌