Weird YouTube Video: Turkey Pagan Ritual

Started by Skynet, August 24, 2017, 05:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midnightblack

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/03/turkeys-circle-dead-cat-viral-video/

But in all likelihood, the turkeys are less pagan and more paranoid: In a phone interview with National Geographic, wildlife biologist Tom Hughes of the National Wild Turkey Federation chalked up the turkeys’ behavior to a combination of curiosity and fear.

“My guess is they are puzzled by the strange behavior of the dead or dying cat,” says Hughes, “[and wanted] to get a better look, without getting too close.” The result, he says, is a circle of turkeys—mostly females—all eyeing the potential predator’s carcass, but none of them wanting to get any closer.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Oniya

I've seen this behavior in middle-schoolers.  Mostly boys, because quote 'Dead things are icky.' unquote.

'I think it's dead, Bill.'
'I think I saw it moving!'
'Poke it with a stick!'
'Naw, man - you poke it!'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mathim

I saw the title and thought you meant the COUNTRY of Turkey since as far as I'm aware is highly religious and would therefore probably have some odd non-mainstream religious practices going on.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

midnightblack

Quote from: Mathim on August 25, 2017, 09:02:29 AM
I saw the title and thought you meant the COUNTRY of Turkey since as far as I'm aware is highly religious and would therefore probably have some odd non-mainstream religious practices going on.

For a split second I was thinking the same thing, but the "pagan" part didn't click, with Turkey being for the majority an Islamic country and apparently heading for a religiously dominated shift in its political life.
The Midnight Lodge (O2 thread & completed tales compendium)
Thy Nightly Chambers (requests) updated!
Amazonia Mythos (world-building details for some of my recurring themes and characters; can always serve as a starting point for discussions of collaborative writing)
Zerzura (albeit short, the best collaborative story I've ever completed here)

Mathim

Quote from: midnightblack on August 25, 2017, 09:33:09 AM
For a split second I was thinking the same thing, but the "pagan" part didn't click, with Turkey being for the majority an Islamic country and apparently heading for a religiously dominated shift in its political life.

Right, that's why when I saw the 'pagan' part, I thought it had to be very significant given those circumstances.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Cognitive Brainfart

I came here expecting the Turkish gov doing some weird ritual. What I found is even better xD

Oniya

*may have been the only one expecting birbs.*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

DelightfullyMAD

(Speaking in a British Documentary voice) And here we have the rare Necromancer Turkey, engaging in a ritual of reanimation around the corpse of a cat.  This is a rare spectacle, one that we have never before seen.  Soon, should the ritual go as planned, we expect that the cat shall be reanimated as a zombie under the control of the Necromancer Turkeys.  However, if they fail, we have reason to believe that they may instead conjure a rainstorm.  If that happens, it is not unusual for these Turkeys to then drown to death as they gaze raptly up into the sky and into the storm that their dark magicks have conjured.  Truly, nature is more beautiful, and horrible, than we can ever fully imagine.
Number of RPs I am currently doing: 0 out of 5

Curious to know about me?  Here's my introduction thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=266266.msg13136350#new

My schedule occasionally gets kind of hectic, so if I suddenly disappear for a period of time, not to worry, I am likely just working like a dog.  I will be back.

Cognitive Brainfart

Quote from: DelightfullyMAD on September 14, 2017, 07:52:00 PM
(Speaking in a British Documentary voice) And here we have the rare Necromancer Turkey, engaging in a ritual of reanimation around the corpse of a cat.  This is a rare spectacle, one that we have never before seen.  Soon, should the ritual go as planned, we expect that the cat shall be reanimated as a zombie under the control of the Necromancer Turkeys.  However, if they fail, we have reason to believe that they may instead conjure a rainstorm.  If that happens, it is not unusual for these Turkeys to then drown to death as they gaze raptly up into the sky and into the storm that their dark magicks have conjured.  Truly, nature is more beautiful, and horrible, than we can ever fully imagine.

Honestly, I read this in the voice of the guy who does "True facts about the..." :D

Sain

Had no idea animals could get up to this sort of silliness. Would really love to know what's going in on their heads.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301