News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

This scared me a bit- (Advice please?)

Started by Broken Knight, July 30, 2008, 11:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken Knight

Yeah, I know it's hard to read. It says:

"I DO NOT KNOW WHO YOU ARE OR WAHT YOU ARE ....NO MORE ROLE PLAYING. THIS IS THE MOTHER!!! WHOEVER IT IS...YOU ARE A SICK PERSON TO BE SPEAKING TO AN UNDERAGE PERSON. I AM TURNING THIS OVER TO THE STATE POLICE."

Okay, first, let me just start by saying that I assumed she was 18+ from the other site that I'd been with.

After that, I know that there isn't anything legally I've done wrong. It's not like I ever said that we should go meet up and have a fling or what-not. Simple role play, nothing different from anything I've done on Elli.

Anyone else ever have something like this? Because I'm doing a complete 'Aw, crap -Face desk-'

Greenthorn

*stops drooling over the avatar to post*

Well BK, this is why we joined Elliquiy..to RP with adults...and well...why I am so damn picky on who I associate with.

*nods*

MagicalPen

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

Broken Knight

Yeah, she wasn't from Elli, but she was from an 18+ site.

Can't run for the hills. It's the intarwebs.

(I play as my avatar in Rp. <3)

Greenthorn

Quote from: Broken Knight on July 30, 2008, 11:29:29 AM
Yeah, she wasn't from Elli, but she was from an 18+ site.

Can't run for the hills. It's the intarwebs.

(I play as my avatar in Rp. <3)

Ohhhh BK...when you said wolf furry I pictured all mushy gushy cuddly!

*swoons*

/hijack

Broken Knight

-Laughs- God, no. I've always played a big, tough wolf. -Nod nod-

Trieste

Moms have been known to go on their children's computers/screen names and do such things. There are also groups that act as 'bait' to internet predators, and they have been known to catch non-predators in the crossfire. ("Perverted Justice" is the name of the only one I know... and I don't know if they're in operation anymore.)

If the person presented themselves as 18, you didn't try to meet up with her in real life, and it was just roleplay, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if both your characters were of age. I wouldn't worry about it for two reasons: 1) What's done is done, and you can't undo it. You could delete logs but that would get you into even more trouble IF this person goes to the police and IF they come to take a look at you. 2) It could very well have been just a bluff to get you to leave the girl the hell alone. If it wasn't a bluff and Mom brings something to the police, they could also not worry about it, since you didn't try to do anything IRL.

I'd definitely block the HELL out of that screen name, though, because no roleplay is good enough for me to want to deal with that crap.

Broken Knight

Oh, I already took care of blocking the IM names. As for the roleplay, it was 18+, but I don't keep logs of any of my IMs, simply for the same reason that she got caught; don't want anyone finding something out that I wouldn't want them to see.

Greenthorn

Broken Knight

-Laughs- Oh, God, I'll just send you a PM.

Paradox

Are you sure that it isn't just someone playing a joke on you?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Broken Knight

Considering the little message that people can put under their names for everyone to read was listed as "THIS IS ------'S MOTHER, REMOVE HER FROM YOUR LIST!', I very much doubt it.

Sherona

I found my 17 year old stepdaughter chatting with this fellow who later tured out to be twenty nine years old, at the time she was fifteen. I keep close eye on her computer priviledges, she has no computer access outside of the main room in the house. I don't snoop but occasionally I go over and look over her shoulder...if she immediately switches windows I check.

When I found her givng her mothers home address to this man (I didn't know was 29 yet) I stopped her right then, I did look in her logs (I make her keep them on) and there was quite a bit of sex talk.

Now I did not do what this person did but I did write to him telling him that the person he was chatting wtih was under the age of eighteen, and that she did mislead him but the matter was now he knew and he was not to contact this IM address again. I blocked him after. and she got completely grounded..>.>

Moondazed

I agree that you're probably in the clear, but this brings to mind the fact that I really wish that Elliquiy could check ages by some sort of identifier so I KNEW I was dealing with someone who was legal.  That's why I'm so sensitive to immaturity.  I have a son who just turned 18, so it's very real to me, the fact that kids can pretend to be something they aren't online and get themselves in over their heads.  I know, I know, I sound like a crotchety old lady :P
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Trieste

It's okay, 'Dazed. You're a very loveable crotchety old lady. *nodnods* :D

Moondazed

~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Broken Knight

I can understand the whole being pissed about her daughter being underage, and hey, I would be too.

I just am a little off-put by the whole 'zOMG! STATE POLICE?!?!' part of it.

I'm 23, which is why anything under 18 would weird me out as well. Honestly, I'm kinda wacky about who's behind the monitor on the other end.

Trieste

Well, I mean, there are people out there who won't take "Please, my daughter is only fourteen and I would appreciate if you would leave her alone" for an answer. I can't blame the mom, if it WAS the mom, for feeling like she has to threaten legal action.

On the other hand, that kid had better be getting the spanking of her life, and total grounding.

On the other other hand (just call me Ganesha, right?), there are some people on the 'net who go for drama, and would do such a thing just to stir up excitement. It isn't pleasant to think about, but they are out there. ANother reason to just sit tight and leave it alone... and check your playmates more carefully, possibly.

Broken Knight

I've already got it all blocked and locked, but beyond that, I don't know anything else possible to do.

Like I said, it's not like I was ever like 'Let's meet up IRL!', at all. Just Rp. But, myeh, I'm neurotic.

Moondazed

Well, the message from this is probably something along the lines of 'be very cautious about who you go in a sexual direction with'.  I really don't think the mother has a legal leg to stand on, and I suspect she sent that hoping it would make you think twice about who you sexually rp with in the future :)

Broken Knight

True, and I will, but I'm also not psychic. If a female tells me that she's 18, I've only that, and my instinct, to go on.

Sherona

Well, me myself and I. I won't enter games with someone that I watch and tehy do not have a clear sense of maturity about them. If they can not hold a proper conversation without wigging out, or if they can not hold a proper conversation without spinning out of control, or if I have any doubts what so ever on their mental maturity then I say hold up wait.

So Yes OOC chat does effect my desires to play wtih someone..which is why I don't do group things too much, less of a way for me to control who I game with.

Broken Knight

I knew her via the other boards before we got into messengers. Even after that, I never really thought that she was younger than what she said. Well, I haven't any standing Rps at the moment right now, anyway.

Trieste

Could always just stick to threads for a while, but I don't know how much safer that makes you feel. *grins*

Broken Knight

Not a whole lot. But, like I said. 0 active Rps.