A Work Around for running things on Windows 7

Started by Inkidu, July 17, 2014, 07:15:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

So I found my ancient copy of Dune 2000. The game came out about that time and doesn't run on the current high-bit system of Windows 7. So is there some kind of easier-to-use virtual emulator that can run these old game. I hear a lot of virtual box, but I don't have older versions of windows to install on these virtual hard drives. I was wondering if anyone knew of a work around.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

Inkidu

Quote from: Vekseid on July 17, 2014, 08:00:56 AM
You are probably seeking DosBox: http://www.dosbox.com/
No it's not that old the game came out in 2001, if memory serves.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

Doh, was thinking Dune II for some reason.

Do you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate? If so you can download "Windows XP virtual mode." I use it to test older browser support.

Disk access in it is painfully slow, but otherwise it works fine (and should be okay for older games like that, after they're installed).

Inkidu

Quote from: Vekseid on July 17, 2014, 10:43:23 AM
Doh, was thinking Dune II for some reason.

Do you have Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate? If so you can download "Windows XP virtual mode." I use it to test older browser support.

Disk access in it is painfully slow, but otherwise it works fine (and should be okay for older games like that, after they're installed).
I think it's just Home. :\

Oh well, I'll just dust off the dinosaur desktop.

Psi

Right click on the short cut that launches the application.
Go to properies, and then play around with the compatibility mode options.

Try XP and various settings, you may get it to work.
I have had to rename a DLL before and set it to XP before a program worked, but then it ran.

Inkidu

I figured out a bit of an analogue work-around for it. I figured it was the install app not working so I installed it on an older version of Windows and just copied the directory and it seems to start right up as long as the paths or the movies, missions, etc line up with where you put it.