Where did you start RPing?

Started by BruceTheCat, September 18, 2012, 08:25:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceTheCat

So from what I've seen so far most of the people who jump on this forum are pretty veteran when it comes to online RPing. Where did it start for you, and if you remember, why did you start?

Personally I've been doing online RPs almost constantly for about 11 years. I started on the Harry Potter forums right when the first movie came out, and honestly have never loved RPing more than I did that first summer. I stayed awake for hours, spamming the refresh button on my browser waiting for people to post. It actually would be pretty cool if anybody else on here has ever RPed on that forum around the same time, we might have played together.
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Hemingway

I distinctly remember the first day I was even exposed to the concept of roleplaying. It must've been ... ten years ago, just about. It was in the MMORPG Graal, which some people may have heard of or even played, and if they have then they probably know on which server, too. As far as I know, it's still around, though I haven't checked in a year or two. It's sort of amusing, because there's always someone around who remembers me, and there's always some sort of drama going on which resembles some sort of soap opera in that you can be gone for a very long time and still immediately understand what's going on.

The sort of RP that went on there is actually something I miss. It was all player-created, and not static like WoW-era MMOs. The possibilities, at least in theory though rarely in practice, were endless. We'd have all kinds of adventures and wars and drama, in a persistent world, where everyone from kings to generals to common soldiers were players. No game I've played since has managed to replicate that, and forum RP between two people just doesn't compare. Even group roleplays aren't the same thing.

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

BruceTheCat

Wow, I had no idea Battle.net had chatrooms for RPing
“Also I've seen that movie, if they're any similar to it, then those guns do not fuck around, please take cover“
- scribus1000

Shjade

Calling it "RPing" is far too generous for what went on in those rooms, really. ;p
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Chris Brady

My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Arohk

Nearly 13 years ago now. Started with D&D and when the Internet came about, I RPed on Neopets. *laughs*

Koren

I started about six or seven years ago

My first site was an Underworld RPing site, and I flipped around charmed, pokemon, underworld, lycan and a few other styles of boards for a while, including some really clever and original ones, but they were all world plot based, so all characters had to be made and fit witin a pre set plot.
I never did system rps though

But E was the first site where it was plot per thread

Lilias

I started on YIM, back in 2002. I caught the tail end of the user chat room golden age, but I was just as active in PMs as well. My buddy list sustained me for a couple of years after the rooms were shut down, and then I found E. I was a new mother, and keeping up with storylines over IM had become impossible, that's why I assumed a forum would work better, removing the need for the partners to be on at the same time. I was right, and I've never looked back since. I've been on other forums, but none is remotely as good.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Senti

Scary it was table top and I think it was 86 yes 1986....

Silverfyre

I started role playing back when I was a kid online through AOL and as I became a teenager, I moved onto Palladium Fantasy and AD&D.  Ah, the glory days of chat room RP.  It was so terrible yet so fulfilling to a young mind such as mine.  I became a depraved bastard because of it.

Beguile's Mistress

My role play began in childhood with live action role play before LARPing formalized.  Kids in my neighborhood would spend part of the morning and most of the afternoon creating worlds and characters and plots, drawing lots for who would be the leaders.  We usually had two sides and there would be wars and battles and intrigue.  When life intruded in the form of organized sports and other activities there was a lull but I read a lot and dreamed up more stories.  Then I made a friend and the two of us would daydream scenarios where we met our favorite celebrities, went on dates with them, had adventures, parties, vacations and anything else our imaginations could conjure.  I lost her right after high school, life got complicated, busy and at times difficult and traumatic.  As I was leaving a particularly bad period behind and moving into the good again I discovered message boards on the internet for a favorite television show and got caught up in threads discussing the various contestants on a reality dance show.  There were some threads running on there that resemble group games here but anyone could join in and we had hilarious interactions.  About that same time I started looking for erotica on the internet and discovered role playing in that genre after reading some really amateurish stuff.  I think I've registered at about 18-20 sites and while some of them have died some are still going strong.  I found E and this has become a home to me with friends, writing partners and a community I can be active in supporting.

Silverfyre

I have always explained LARP as nothing more than "adult Cops and Robbers". 

Photo

Clairmont Highschool, an xmen-based rpg

it's exactly as it sounds, and I have no memory of how I found it. it was an MSN group that was designed like a highschool website, but each section of the school took you into different parts of the RP, by the end of my tenure there I had created nine students I think. The purity of freedom I had in the x-men world has been left unrivalled.

I think that was twelve years ago, maybe thirteen. It's wild, it really doesn't feel like the internet has even been around for that long. The time in-between Clairmont and Elliquiy is shaky at best. I stopped trying to play football for my highschool, and I started to write screenplays instead to pass the time. I had always been creative when it came to characters, and stories, and around this same time, RL got intense, super scary, the climax of being a teen, and all the hell that comes along with that. It had everything to do with family, a loss of friends, loneliness, mistrusting step-parents, and eventually, a girl.

I stopped writing screenplays and started writing novels. Then I found Elliquiy. I really hope that I still have the time to finish my work now that I found this site. It's been a couple years, and I'm still unsure of how well I'm doing with that. forum Role-playing is in many ways a superior form of story-telling.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

TentacleFan

My roleplaying began back in the 90's with a a variety of the various pen and paper rpgs. Early on a lot of the many Palladium RPGs (Robotech, Palladium Fantasy, TMNT, Rifts, Heroes Unlimited, etc) were played. Over time other games got purchased and played. Shadowrun, most of the super-hero based rpgs that came out, Earthdawn, GURPS, AD&D, Some of the various White Wolf games, and more.

Eventually I moved from just playing them around a table with friend (which I still do regularly) to trying to play online as well. I did a few email based games and a few message board based ones. Nothing really lasted that long however. When I had begun hosting my own adult/erotic/smut writing online a writer I ran into doing that suggested to me I look at E and I did and here I am.
I'm going to take my time. I have all the time in the world. To make you mine. It is written in the stars above.

Something's wrong when you regret, things that haven't happened yet. - The Submarines - 1940

See my O's/O's / Open Roleplays Requests / List of Current RPs / A&A's / Image Thread
Puerto de Oro: World of Interracial Fantasy
A&A's Updated : 02/10/2014

Devilyn Sydhe

I started around 1998 in an irc game called Intercity, I dont even remember what server that was on but I do remember playing for a few years in different places on a WebTV.  I'm not even sure if they exist anymore :-)

I also spent some time in wrestling E-feds which I guess could be considered forum rp but I never found any that lasted very long.

For the last 10 years or so I've been playing Kaleb, a barbarian type, in an adult irc roleplay on Sorcery and that's how I found E.

Stone

When I was seven, I told my friend, "You're a pirate. I'm a thief. Let's go break things." That's when it started.  O8)
The sphere was solid with Plunkett, and only waited for someone to be in; like, like the meaning of a word waiting for a word to be the meaning of. - John Crowley, Engine Summer.

To manipulate a man is a careful project. Too light a hand, and he follows his own whim; too heavy a hand, and he will turn on you. - Thief II: The Metal Age.

Remy

Because my son and I loved anything Harry Potter, I used to visit Mugglenet with him to look up stuff about the books and movies. He was 7, and I was much more than 7 ;). 
Anyway, through there a couple of us parents, who visited with our kids, started chatting and eventually one of the mums created a separate site  for us to hang out in.  It was my first venture in roleplaying and was at first shamefully bad.  But after a bit we all improved and the site was renamed and made an adult only site and ran under ''YSM, Your secret Missions''.  We were there for about 5 years I think and had a bunch of sister sites all connected via HP, Elimentals, witches and vampires.  A bunch of ideas all running together with one huge connecting story.  It was huge fun, but sadly I left after it soured for me and as far as I know it's all gone.  But it was lovely while it lasted. 

National Acrobat

Been playing DnD since '79.

Went online with Goand.net in 2000 or 2001 when some of my gaming group moved. We went online forum based to continue to RP, and that led to RPOL and Elliquiy.

Sophyta

Started in 1994 in the Patio of an old Navy Base.  Been doing it ever since.  But I do miss playing in RL.
I am what Nightmares are made of.....

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: National Acrobat on September 19, 2012, 03:44:20 PM
Been playing DnD since '79.

Went online with Goand.net in 2000 or 2001 when some of my gaming group moved. We went online forum based to continue to RP, and that led to RPOL and Elliquiy.

Started in 79. God I miss goand.net.  Had an awesome GM in a d20 game there sadly he died of AIDs. 

Sasquatch421

I had toyed around a bit when I was younger, but never really got into tabletop rpgs until I got in with a group in Pensacola.... It started out Vampire: The Masquerade and ended up being Vampire mixed with D&D and Battle Tech. An interesting group to say the least....

Online was YIM... I met a group and we had our own little thing going for about 3 years... Then the dicks at yahoo got rid of the user rooms and pretty much ended the tale of Yugo and Xapera. (I know I screwed up the name, but I just can't remember how it was spelled....)

KittyMocha

Quote from: Red Lobster on September 18, 2012, 08:25:01 PMPersonally I've been doing online RPs almost constantly for about 11 years. I started on the Harry Potter forums right when the first movie came out, and honestly have never loved RPing more than I did that first summer.

That is exactly how I started, and at the same time.  Ah, fond memories.  To this day, I'm still friends with some of the people I met there.

National Acrobat

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 19, 2012, 05:08:12 PM
Started in 79. God I miss goand.net.  Had an awesome GM in a d20 game there sadly he died of AIDs.

Ah, another Goand.net vet!

Yes, I had several awesome games there, and ran a couple. Good times, good times, and some great folks.

Avis habilis

Online? About 2009, I joined a play-by-post game of Spellcraft & Swordplay on RPG.net.

In person? My buddy over the backyard fence introduced me to Moldvay Basic D&D circa 1982.

That's right - this year made 30 years of D&D for me.