Walking Dead RP - Group of 5-6 characters?

Started by Cynadea, October 22, 2015, 02:50:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cynadea

Looking for: Established game if this already exists or GM for a new game

Setting: The Walking Dead. I've seen season 1 and 2. No canon characters.

Smut content: Light, low. Someone splattered with brains isn't sexy.

Plot: A group of 4 to 6 characters traveling across America or Canada to find somewhere safe and sustainable to settle down. A bit like writing a parallel story to the one happening in the series. Never meeting canon, though, so it could be happening anywhere. Maybe the group follows a hunch that the dead would prefer warmer climates, and the group tries to head north.

Requirements:
Quick pace (people posting within less than a week of each other)
3 paragraph posts minimum
Focused on plot

Currently MIA, not available for  RP

Ons and Offs ~ Idea thread

Remiel

Been thinking about worldbuilding something like this myself.   Consider my interest piqued.

Ladondra

Def. caught my interest. I'm caught up on the current, love horror, and writing, so why not?  Consider myself interested and ready to write or do whatever it takes to join ^_^
R.I.P. Mama
12/05/56-12/21/14

Cynadea

Quote from: Remiel on October 22, 2015, 04:34:10 PM
Been thinking about worldbuilding something like this myself.   Consider my interest piqued.

I wouldn't mind helping with the worldbuilding. I just want to cruise this one as a passenger, and not the one in the pilot seat.

Remiel

I would be willing to step up and GM this if I had a committed group.  Has anyone played the Telltale games, out of curiosity?  I imagine it would be something akin to that.    The group would have to make tough decisions on their journey, decisions which could potentially put them in peril or scar them.

I'd want to focus on a group of strangers having to rely upon each other in extreme circumstances.  If there are enough participants, I might even introduce a traitor among the group. 

Stella

Ladondra

I never played any of the games, but I did watch all of season 1 and 2 of TWD game with Clem(omg, I bawled at the end of season 1), and I watched a good portion of Game of Thrones(the game), so I get the feel.  Love those kinds of games. <3  Is it sad that I already have someone I'm dying to play as. She's one of my characters I kinda placed into the attic and want to dust off and put her to good use lol.
R.I.P. Mama
12/05/56-12/21/14

Cynadea

I also have a medic-type character that I've been dying to play in this setting.

I have no clue what the Telltale games are... I could probably bring a Lord friend of mine into the game.

Tackyhillbilly

I might be interested in playing. Potentially as a mechanic or something of that nature, so he could be useful.

(And honestly, I've never watched the show. The Telltale games were awesome however. Though I preferred the Wolf Among Us.)

Ladondra

Wolf Among Us was an awesome game too.  My character I have in mind is normally a famous adult clothes designer; with photography attached to it, so I wonder how that could fit in?  Does it also help that she's french? lol.
R.I.P. Mama
12/05/56-12/21/14

Melieli

Hey :) I am interested too ! I can't wait to start brainstorming !!
Jan 18th I'm sorry my partners! My work is starting soon and I need some time to do some paperwork to get ready. I  won't be able to write for a little bit, but I will return and reply your posts! Really sorry!

Remiel

All right.  I'll start working on putting together an outline over the next week or so.

Remiel

So I have a question to all potentially interested players:  if I were to do this, would you prefer a sandbox-style game or a campaign-style game?

A sandbox-style game would be like the group RPs that you're most likely used to, with the emphasis almost completely on character interaction.  The GM would be responsible for the initial setting description and approving characters, but the players would essentially build their world themselves.   The game would most likely feature the characters staying put in one location, perhaps occasionally venturing out into the "wilds" to scavenge food and supplies.

A campaign-style game would rely much more heavily on the GM.  The group would encounter NPCs which could be either friendly or hostile, and have to work together to overcome obstacles.  The GM (me) would reserve the right to inflict injury, psychoses, or other afflictions on the characters based on their decisions.  Basically, think of this like a tabletop D&D campaign, except that no dice will be used.  When a challenge presents itself, the characters would talk it over and decide on the course of action.

Either way, the emphasis would be on plot, with perhaps a little bit of smut sprinkled in.   After all, it's hard to have a sexy frame of mind when you're worried about food, water, disease, injury, sleep, hygiene, and zombie attacks on a daily basis.   My ultimate goal in running this game would be to see how characters of various backgrounds and temperaments interact under extreme circumstances.

I'd be shooting for a small group of about 5-7 people for the test run (perhaps more if people want to go the sandbox route).    Either way, the character template would require you to answer a short questionnaire (e.g. how did you survive the Zombie Apocalypse? What did you do for a living before it all went to shit?)    I'm thinking every character would get to pick a couple of Strengths (fast healer, ambidextrous, natural leader, fast learner, huge build) as well as one Vulnerability (asthmatic, hypochondriac, insomniac, weak frame, severely depressed/hopeless, one-handed, etc.)  You'd also each get one Major Skill, something that you'd specialize in, that presumably you put into use in your former occupation (marksmanship,  unarmed combat, wilderness survival, farming, automobile repair, medicine/surgery, cooking,  speechcraft) as well as one or two Minor skills that you've since picked up since the Apocalypse (first aid, knife fighting, musical instruments).

Tackyhillbilly

Honestly, I'd be more up for a Sandbox style one. Potentially with you acting to force us to abandon our home every once in a while.

Cynadea

My request is more about a group moving together, than a group staying in one place and surviving there. If you decide to go Sandbox, I'd suggest to move it to the GM seeking player board so I can keep looking for a small campagn-style group.

Thank you. :)

Ascia

Sandbox with GM prodding; so something of a mix, like Aysande favors.

Also, hi, interested. =)

CShades

It does spark the muse.

Small group on the move works better for me, though they might/could have the intention and willingness to settle somewhere safe when they find it (or think they do).

Watching this!

"The next time I kill you, I promise you the labyrinth that consists of a single straight line that is both invisible and endless" ~Jorge Luis Borges.

Ladondra

I'm even more interested now with what Remiel recently wrote.  Either way, I'll put whatever needs to written and looked over to start playing.
R.I.P. Mama
12/05/56-12/21/14

Remiel

So it sounds like what people want is....kind of...in-between?  Mostly sandbox, but with the occasional GM event to prod people along?

The problem with that is that it's either an all-or-nothing approach.  Different people post at different rates, and if the group gets split up, a scene happening between two people could last for several months, while another one might move on far more quickly.

DarkAngel111

I already have a similar game going, but I wouldn't mind helping out this one if you guys need help. The thing is, there aren't enough games like this out there. So, if you need help with campaign style game where players keep moving without settling in, it sounds like an interesting concept.

Cynadea

Quote from: DarkAngel111 on November 03, 2015, 05:11:39 AM
I already have a similar game going, but I wouldn't mind helping out this one if you guys need help. The thing is, there aren't enough games like this out there. So, if you need help with campaign style game where players keep moving without settling in, it sounds like an interesting concept.

Your game isn't based off The Walking Dead, though.

Quote from: Remiel on November 01, 2015, 09:11:43 PM
So it sounds like what people want is....kind of...in-between?  Mostly sandbox, but with the occasional GM event to prod people along?

The problem with that is that it's either an all-or-nothing approach.  Different people post at different rates, and if the group gets split up, a scene happening between two people could last for several months, while another one might move on far more quickly.

If by rate you mean that some people post every day and others post every other week, I've already asked for something specific in my request (posting within a week). If you are talking about the pace of the post where someone will walk 3 miles in silence while in the same group two are having a conversation and need to go back and forth, I guess it's just a matter of players being considerate of each other's needs for character development.

What I would suggest is one main thread where the small group travels together, and a side thread should someone need to explore character development or even smut if they're so inclined. Here's an example of what I mean:

On the main thread, Joe and John go hunting, because the group needs food. Seeing how they're left alone, Mary and Jane gather the laundry and go to the near by lake.  Joe and John finish hunting in three posts that cover about an hour of game time, but Mary and Jane are having a discussion about a theory regarding the zombies that require far more than three posts. Mary and Jane move to the side thread, keep their discussion there knowing that their chat should cover an hour maximum, and while they work on their theories, they also post with John and Joe so that they don't hold the group back.

Sounds a bit confusing, I think, but I've used it before and it works. All that I had required from people is to put a link to the first post of their side plot in a <continued here> kind of way at the end of the post.

Remiel

I'm inclined to think the same way as you, Aysande.  In my group games, I tend to favor smaller, but more frequent, posts.  I've always said that people don't need to write novels, they just need to state what they're doing and how they react to things.

Still thinking on it, but I hope to have something up by the end of the week.

Remiel

Quote from: DarkAngel111 on November 03, 2015, 05:11:39 AM

Oh, and I'd obviously love to get your input, DarkAngel111.  I noticed your Sangre Negro game, but I can't remember why I didn't sign up.    I think it was that I'm not going to be interested in physical attributes (Strength, Intelligence, etc.) as much as skills (can you patch up a wound? Fix a broken motorcycle? Make an explosive from fertilizer and ammonia?  Shoot a Walker in the head at three hundred feet?)

A big part of what I'm envisioning will be stress.  Physical and mental stress.   Finding food, water, supplies, weapons, and medicine will, of course, be critical; but I'd also like to examine how characters cope with living in a world suddenly without law and order.  What way will their moral compasses spin?  Will they become cold and jaded killers, existing solely to survive, or do they still have a kernel of hope that someday all this will pass and civilization will be rebuilt?   What kind of a "constitution" will they draft for their fledgling society?  And so on.

Cynadea

Quote from: Remiel on November 03, 2015, 12:14:10 PM
I'm inclined to think the same way as you, Aysande.  In my group games, I tend to favor smaller, but more frequent, posts.  I've always said that people don't need to write novels, they just need to state what they're doing and how they react to things.

Still thinking on it, but I hope to have something up by the end of the week.

I said small group as in number of people involved, not as in post length. I would certainly not limit how long a post can be, and frankly, less than 3 paragraphs per post doesn't hold my interest. So I guess it depends on what you consider a novel...

Remiel

Right, but I was saying that if it came down to a long, detailed post about once a month, or smaller, one paragraph posts twice a week or so,  my preference is for the shorter, more frequent posts.

Cynadea

What I was saying is that if it comes down to a one paragraph twice a week or so, I am not interested.

I'm looking for something specific, I know, and I've asked that if what is in my request in the first post is not what the group GM'ed by you(Remiel) is looking to build, that you move it to another thread, so I can keep looking for it. :)

GnothiSeauton

I'd be interested in getting in on this.  I've had a zombie game all built up to sate my cravings for something like this, but just am so worn out from GM-Fatigue.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

Ascia

I have to say if this game starts popping up paragraph posts, I'd be out too.

That's just too far under my skill level to keep my interest.

Cynadea

Given the interest this thread has gathered, I've decided to create this:

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=239177.0

Go plant your flag, if interested.