Pathfinder campagin recruitment 'Storm Riders'

Started by Elven Sex Goddess, April 28, 2014, 09:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Also, for clarity's sake I'm talking about classes after the racial hit dice payoff.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Shaitan

Well hopefully its not a dead game, but time will tell.

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on May 11, 2014, 07:34:37 PM
Also, for clarity's sake I'm talking about classes after the racial hit dice payoff.

To answer your question.   Since  Pathfinder really doesn't address it like 3.5 did w/ D&D

I have come up with something for a house rule for the game and players wishing to play a centaur.

HD/Class;  Effective level
1/00;  1
3/00;  2
4/00;  3    Gain bonus feat
4/00; 4   Gain ability bump
4/01;  5
4/02; 6   Gain bonus feat
4/03; 7
4/04; 8   Gain Ability bump
4/05; 9   Gain bonus feat
4/06; 10
4/07; 11
4/08; 12   Gain ability bump/bonus feat
4/09; 13
4/10; 14
4/11; 15  Gain bonus feat
4/12; 16  Gain ability bump
4/13; 17
4/14; 18  Gain bonus feat
4/15; 19
4/16; 20  Gain ability bump

Note the first 4 levels are technically filling out the racial hit dice.   Which are 1d10 per level gained.   

Your centaur racial traits would look something like this:

Ability Modifiers: +4 Str, +4 Dex, +4 Con, +4 Wis, +2 Cha
Size: Large (10 x 10 ft.)
Type: Monstrous Humanoid (4 HD)
Speed: 50 ft.
Reach: 5 ft.
Armor Class: +1 natural armor bonus
Natural Attacks: 2 hooves (secondary attacks, base 1d6 damage)
Skills: No racial bonuses, but you get a +8 bonus to Acrobatics checks made to jump due to high speed.
Special Attacks: none
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., Undersized weapons
Bonus Racial Feats:   Combat feat Natural Jouster   
Bonus Racial trait:  Centaur Vengeance
Starting Languages: Common, Elven, Sylvan

I am still mulling over the feat question.   It may take a day or two for me to decide.

Yes still planning on it. 

CarnivalOfTheGoat

So other than HD and some featishness (we all need more fetishization, don't we?), pretty close to RAW. A fellow posted RAW here and I only bring it up for convenience in ref to skills/saves/BAWP as listed at the bottom of his entry...and quoted below the spoiler.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
HP: 10 + 3d10 + (con x 4)
Base saves: +1 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will
Base Attack: +4
Bonus Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: All light and medium armors, shields (except the tower shield), and all simple weapons plus the longsword
Feats: 2 general feats (one at your first HD, and one at your 3rd)
Skills: You have 16 ranks to assign (modified for intelligence) and you can have up to 4 ranks in any given skill. Your class skills are Climb, Craft, Fly, Intimidate, Perception, Ride, Stealth, Survival, and Swim.

When you add on class levels, you follow all the same rules for multiclassing (thus you do NOT gain max hp for your first class level since you already got it for your first racial HD). You can also start benefiting from your favored class bonuses (as you can't choose your racial type as a favored class).

That's about it I think. If you have any other questions about playing monstrous characters, feel free to let me know.

EDIT: Don't forget your size modifiers (-1 AC/attacks, +1 CMB/CMD, -4 Stealth, etc.)

Thanks for checking into the feat-weirdness for me. The way mounted feats work when 'you are the mount' is just bizaaaaarre.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

Muse

ooh!  i'd be very excited if this game went through. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Isengrad

If this is still happening I would love to throw my interest in. I actually have two ideas.

1) Since Cleric is not a viable option for this, I was thinking paladin with the Hospitaler and Warrior of the Holy light Archetypes, since they both replace something different. I would give up spell casting but gain versatility with my Lay on Hand charges with the holy light. But if you want to limit to one archetype it would be the Hospitaler. A feild Medic always comes in handy.

2) A Beast Rider Cavalier, if for no other reason then at 4th level I can ride A TYRANNOSAURS ....sorry, lost the calm. I'm good now.

If you think neither of those will work, A Dragoon could always be fun.

original artwork by karabiner

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on May 11, 2014, 09:39:26 PM
So other than HD and some featishness (we all need more fetishization, don't we?), pretty close to RAW. A fellow posted RAW here and I only bring it up for convenience in ref to skills/saves/BAWP as listed at the bottom of his entry...and quoted below the spoiler.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
HP: 10 + 3d10 + (con x 4)
Base saves: +1 Fort, +4 Ref, +4 Will
Base Attack: +4
Bonus Armor/Weapon Proficiencies: All light and medium armors, shields (except the tower shield), and all simple weapons plus the longsword
Feats: 2 general feats (one at your first HD, and one at your 3rd)
Skills: You have 16 ranks to assign (modified for intelligence) and you can have up to 4 ranks in any given skill. Your class skills are Climb, Craft, Fly, Intimidate, Perception, Ride, Stealth, Survival, and Swim.

When you add on class levels, you follow all the same rules for multiclassing (thus you do NOT gain max hp for your first class level since you already got it for your first racial HD). You can also start benefiting from your favored class bonuses (as you can't choose your racial type as a favored class).

That's about it I think. If you have any other questions about playing monstrous characters, feel free to let me know.

EDIT: Don't forget your size modifiers (-1 AC/attacks, +1 CMB/CMD, -4 Stealth, etc.)

Thanks for checking into the feat-weirdness for me. The way mounted feats work when 'you are the mount' is just bizaaaaarre.

I agree with how the mounted combat feats are weird and only applied because of the half equine nature of the centaur.     

Here is the ruling I have.    A centaur does not need to take mounted combat.   They should instead like any other character take feats in combat such as bull rush,  mobility for example and any other that would apply for the style of combat that you want to take the centaur down.   

The mounted combat feats through should not be ignored.   A centaur that doesn't have such feats and takes a rider will have penalties as any character would without the feats of mounted combat.   For they would not be attune to fighting with someone on their back.    Which actually fits better for centaurs.  Since in most stories with centaurs.   They are loath to have riders.   

Quote from: Isengrad on May 12, 2014, 08:26:43 AM
If this is still happening I would love to throw my interest in. I actually have two ideas.

1) Since Cleric is not a viable option for this, I was thinking paladin with the Hospitaler and Warrior of the Holy light Archetypes, since they both replace something different. I would give up spell casting but gain versatility with my Lay on Hand charges with the holy light. But if you want to limit to one archetype it would be the Hospitaler. A feild Medic always comes in handy.

2) A Beast Rider Cavalier, if for no other reason then at 4th level I can ride A TYRANNOSAURS ....sorry, lost the calm. I'm good now.

If you think neither of those will work, A Dragoon could always be fun.

No to a dragon

No to a tyrannosaurs

Yes to the paladin with the Hospitaler and Warrior of the Holy light Archetypes, with giving up spell casting but gain versatility with my Lay on Hand charges with the holy light

Isengrad

Dragoon, the fighter archetype. But since you said yes to a Pally I can start rolling that up. Both of those don't hit until 4th level anyway. so its straight pally until then.

Krule

This is interesting, I haven't been doing any games here as of the last year, but I could be drawn into a group based pathfinder game.

I note the class limitations are dependent upon being horse riders, right?  So, several thoughts regarding characters
First, what about a Summoner whose Eidolon is some sort of magical horse form he or she can ride?
Second, what about an Oracle of Nature with bonded mount as the first Revelation?
Third, a cleric with the animal domain gets animal companion at level 4 same time a ranger gets one, what about this one?
Fourth, is only a druid with the plains domain or the wild rider permitted?  Or any druid with a horse as animal companion? 
If the answer to all of these is none of these are permitted, I'd still be interested in playing a druid, ranger or paladin, whichever fit into the group best.

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Removed my earlier query as I just spotted what 'Natural Jouster' does. :)

Definitely apping a Centaur, then. He'll decide later what class he may specialize in (since he can't really "multiclass out of centaur" until level 4) after seeing how the party dynamic works and what sort of additional (class) abilities are needed.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Shaitan

Looking like interest has renewed, good stuff, I'll have my sheet posted up later tonight, and we'll see if it works out.

Elven Sex Goddess

I will take time tomorrow to answer everyone's question.  I worked a swing shift.  An then my internet went out here for an hour tonight.   I have a short turn around with work early in the morning.   An I am a big nerd,  have a couple of billion presitage accounts on COR and need to make sure have enough food to feed the troops.  before I log off tonight less I lose a few million troops.   not in the mood to rebuild troops lol.   

Shaitan

Magnus Tel'Fier, Horselord Trapper Ranger 1
Personality - A cross between the idealistic young knight and the pragmatic hunter, both calm in most places, but prone to outbursts of self righteousness or heroism, when he perceives an injustice or wrongful.

Background -  Magnus grew up the only child of a human male warrior and a savage elf adept, both are now deceased. His father died soon after his birth in a hunting expedition that went astray of dark creatures in the ruins of the elven kingdom to the east, his father's sword was returned by what the small village rumors to be ancient forest spirits in thanks for the service the took his life. His mother gave her life defending the village during a novice necromancer's reign of terror that cost nearly a quarter of the village's sparse population, until a certain half elven ranger managed a lucky shot with an arrow from ambush. Not long after the event a platoon of soldiers arrived on a recruiting trip only to hear of the deaths and that the danger has already been resolved with finality and the dark mage's head on a pike at the entrance of the town.
The recruitment officer saw potential in the young half elf, and quickly moved to recruit the novice hunter. The initial training camp saw that Magnus had some small ability to ride and fight, that alone was enough to shift his first assignment to the Storm Riders one of the companies being formed to retake the western half of the kingdom. Not that Magnus was informed of the intent of the  formation of the Storm Riders and their ilk, else he might not have joined at all. However the stealth and cold cunning of a woodsman trapper will serve the Storm Riders company well.

Sexual orientation - Hetero

Turn ons/offs - a work in progress will update later

Character sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByDX3PtgFcQCRDh1MzNOX0x2WmM/edit?usp=sharing

Green Goo Theory

If i read it right we have people playing or interested in fighter, ranger, pally, and druid.  I just wanted to avoid redundancy.  Also the summoner ideas above was an awesome one.
Coming soon...

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: Tonberryshuffle on May 13, 2014, 09:04:00 AM
If i read it right we have people playing or interested in fighter, ranger, pally, and druid.  I just wanted to avoid redundancy.  Also the summoner ideas above was an awesome one.

Given the limited number of available classes, I think I'd worry less about it 'by class' and more about 'by role' in the sense of 'is the current druid or pally going to focus on being a healer or a caster or a brawler?" We could easily have two or more of a few classes in a party of 8!

Which is huge, by the way. >_>;

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

Isengrad

I'm in the process of creating a pally with the intent to be a field medic. Taking the hospitaler archetype will grant me Channel energy independent of my lay on hands(though be treated as a cleric 3 levels lower) and the Warrior of the Holy light archetype will give up the pally spells to grant extra lay on hands and allow me to burn uses to do other things in combat or heal ability damage.

I do have a question though, what Deities are we using?

While making my Pally i came across a few more questions. You stated in creation that the kingdom will be providing Light Warhorses for us, Does that also include barding, saddle and saddle bags? or should we purchase those ourselves?

Muse

Does anyone have info on the crying capacity of light war horses handy? 

I'm trying to figure out of scale armor is too heavy.  ^_^ 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Isengrad

Quote from: Muse on May 13, 2014, 04:01:16 PM

As a large size Quadruped creature with 16 strength the capacity is as follows

Light load is Up to 228 lbs
medium load is 229-459 lbs
heavy load is 460-690 lbs

Since your creature is carrying both you and your gear, chances are it will be encumbered as you ride.

Since a Light war horses base speed is 50 ft per round, Encumbrance of a medium load will reduce it to 35 ft per round. Still better then an encumbered human on foot(speed 20)

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Generally about a quart, but if you ply them with booze and comfort them and get them to really open up about their problems you can sometimes get as much as a half-gallon of pony-tears out of a single light warhorse. Especially if you mention Balacalava.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:

SheerFantasia

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on May 13, 2014, 04:55:31 PM
Generally about a quart, but if you ply them with booze and comfort them and get them to really open up about their problems you can sometimes get as much as a half-gallon of pony-tears out of a single light warhorse. Especially if you mention Balacalava.
Nice one! lol

Since I'm going to assume that you're looking for carrying capacity for a light warhorse:

• 0 - 228 lbs: Light
  • 229 - 459 lbs: Medium
  • 460 - 690 lbs: Heavy
  • Can drag up to 3,450 lbs

Now that I'm looking at it, there doesn't appear to be 'light war horses' in Pathfinder, only horses that have combat training (as per Handle Animal).

Elven Sex Goddess

Quote from: Isengrad on May 12, 2014, 10:27:58 AM
Dragoon, the fighter archetype. But since you said yes to a Pally I can start rolling that up. Both of those don't hit until 4th level anyway. so its straight pally until then.

My mistake,  I misread dragoon and was thinking a dragon as in a dragon rider or such.   The dragoon of the fighter would be fine. 

Quote from: Shaitan on May 13, 2014, 01:30:58 AM
Magnus Tel'Fier, Horselord Trapper Ranger 1
Personality - A cross between the idealistic young knight and the pragmatic hunter, both calm in most places, but prone to outbursts of self righteousness or heroism, when he perceives an injustice or wrongful.

Character sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByDX3PtgFcQCRDh1MzNOX0x2WmM/edit?usp=sharing

Character approved

Quote from: Krule on May 12, 2014, 11:55:36 AM
This is interesting, I haven't been doing any games here as of the last year, but I could be drawn into a group based pathfinder game.

I note the class limitations are dependent upon being horse riders, right?  So, several thoughts regarding characters
First, what about a Summoner whose Eidolon is some sort of magical horse form he or she can ride?
Second, what about an Oracle of Nature with bonded mount as the first Revelation?
Third, a cleric with the animal domain gets animal companion at level 4 same time a ranger gets one, what about this one?
Fourth, is only a druid with the plains domain or the wild rider permitted?  Or any druid with a horse as animal companion? 
If the answer to all of these is none of these are permitted, I'd still be interested in playing a druid, ranger or paladin, whichever fit into the group best.

1. Summoner  / no.
2. Oracle of Nature with bonded mount as first revelation  / yes.
3. Cleric with Animal domain / yes ( the animal companion must be a horse.)   
4.  Druid is limited to plains domain,  wild rider as with the Cleric with animal domain.

Quote from: Muse on April 30, 2014, 07:55:53 AM
Work in progress: 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NeAn3sWrM22dYu8-Nmya8NEgyOL1u7LUuQnw6GedDG4/edit

Looks good,  background? 

A list of deities will be forth coming.

Isengrad

Stat block
Wil Wyvrenjack
male Lg Human Paladin, Level 1, Init +1, HP 14/14, Speed 30ft/20ft
AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 14, Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1   
Shortspear (3) +3 (1d6+2, x2)
  Scale mail, +1 shield focus Light Steel Sheild (+5 Armor, +2 Shield, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 17
Condition None

Short history
Not much can be said about his Childhood, in fact until the day he joined the paladin order  as young initiate he had done nothing special with his life. It was there that he found the structure he needed, the regimented lifestyle that molded a young boy unsure of himself into a Paladin, a paragon of justice. Sword and weapon work were always first on the list, for varied though the responsibilities of the paladin may be they are first and foremost divine warriors of justice. While he does not have the head for it, healing was his favorite subject. After all, anyone can mete out the swift hand of justice, but few choose to wield mercy instead. So as he reached adulthood he was sure of his path, the hand of mercy, the light of the justice itself channeled through him. It was not long after he knew his path that the call went out for riders to serve the kingdom of Valeria and take back the stolen lands.He would answer this call, if not for the kingdom he lived in, if not for the glory of his god, but for the path he had set himself on.

notes
I have yet to spend gold on anything other then weapons and armor for himself. I don't know if things like barding, saddle, or saddlebags will be provided or just the horse and we have to outfit it ourselves. But once i know I can complete him in no time. he is also still flexible up until 4th level in which he can take the archetypes I have asked. if we get a Cleric with the animal domain I will instead pick another archetype for him. His sexuality is located under character traits on the sheet.

Krule

In that case, I'm going to put together a female Aasimar cleric of Erastil, with animal as first domain choice, and either community or good as the second domain, I'm undecided.  As Erastil is a deity of community with the favored weapon of the longbow, she'll make a good horse archer and Erastil fits really really well, especially on the idea of bringing peace and stability to a ravaged kingdom, especially if her home is or was in that area seems very fitting.

Muse

Would you consider, as an alternative to the racial class, letting players have the option to use this centaur racial build and missing out on leveling up once to make up for the power differential? 

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/monstrous-races-21-30-rp/centaur-28-rp

Muse

I wrote out a little history for Jareth Quills.  :) 

I still need to equip him though.