News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Who Beats Who?

Started by Spookie Monster, May 08, 2009, 05:57:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spookie Monster

In your professional opinion, who beats who?  Why?

Spel

Turn and turn again...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~

Oniya

It all depends on whether the warrior (or sorcerer)  notices the rogue.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Silk

Rogues are sealthy and agile which is generally nessersary to avoid spells, but their light weaponry is generally no match for the armor and hardiness of a warrior.

A scorcerer loses to a rogue because a rogue can sucessfully sneak up on the scorcerer and deal a fatal blow before they have a chance to cast any spells, while a warrior is alot less subtle and agile, whos armor will be no protection against spells and in most cases make them much more effective.

A warrior in heavy armor will fear little even if a rogue was to sneak up its weapons will do minimal damage due to the armor but armor is no protection from spells.

Oniya

However, ninjas (who I would class as a 'rogue') and samurai have each taken the other out, depending on the situation.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

The Overlord

Sorcerer beats all...because they're sorcerers.  >:)

Oniya

Quote from: The Overlord on May 08, 2009, 08:43:20 AM
Sorcerer beats all...because they're sorcerers.  >:)

Well-placed sniper arrow beats robes every time.  If they see the rogue, however, instant crispy.

The Overlord

On the other hand, cleric beats them all...because if they're not healing, the rest are dropping.

Chevalier des Poissons

I beat everyone because Michael Jackson told me so.

(You know...on his song 'beat it')
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Silk

Anyway, we all know the ranger will beat anyone.

The Overlord

Quote from: Silk on May 09, 2009, 04:20:15 AM
Anyway, we all know the ranger will beat anyone.

That's right, they can Rangergate.  :P

HairyHeretic

We'll just sit them all down and have them play scissors, paper, rock, lizard, Spock to see who is the best.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lumby

setojurai

Chuck Norris beats all... with a Roundhouse Kick to the Face

Kip

Quote from: setojurai on May 11, 2009, 08:25:11 AM

*runs screaming from Chuck Norris*

XD

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Oniya

Quote from: setojurai on May 11, 2009, 08:25:11 AM

Mr. Rogers in a blood-stained sweater.   ;)

Kurzyk

A cunning and seductive rogue beats all. Instead of straight combat, they could seduce their target and slip them some poison or kill them in their sleep.

Defiance

I like the reverse on traditional RPS with the rogue>warrior, warrior>mage, and mage>rogue.

It would seem to me, that's a much more... finessed universe. On the other hand, shouldn't that be the way all along? A rogue doesn't go, "I'm gonna poke him in his armor." A rogue dances, darts and dodges till all that heavy armor makes its wearer exhausted. The warrior kills the mage because... well... enchanted armor so they don't bake from a fireball? Mages kill rogues because they're smart enough to -sense- the rogue.

A very interesting universe could come from turning RPS on its head.

setojurai

The Rogue steals the Fighter's sword and the Wizard's spellbook, sells them back to them at highly inflated prices, or charges a "Finders Fee" when "discovering" where they had "misplaced" the items.  Fighter and Wizard try to gang up on the Rogue, who then points out that if s/he could steal their items that easily when they where paying attention, then would they like to buy back their items of power again?  This would be when the Rogue points out that they're once again missing their items and scurries off to find an adventuring party that WON'T treat the Rogue like a mobile trap detector/lock picking toolkit before the Wizard and Fighter REALLY get angry.

Rogues, when properly played, are awesome and versitale characters with a degree of intellect comparable to the best Wizards.  For those who want to play intelligent characters in a more James Bond role, Rogues work well.  Of course, alot of us love blowing stuff up with THE POWER OF AWESOME or going Hulk Smash on anything in sight, which is where you get Wizards and Fighters from, who more often then not view Rogues as trap finding/lock picking robots who have to be watched carefully lest they steal from you the instant your back is turned, afterall, nobody can trust a Rogue.  Gee... I wonder why they steal from you?  :P

Oniya

I remember the look of utter shock when it was discovered that one of my characters managed to pick a kender's pocket and steal borrow *cough* the Ring of Strength (18/00) that they had been using.

I think most of my favorite characters have been essentially rogues.

:'( C:)

Defiance

Rogues are always the best type of characters to play. :D

setojurai

*Steals the thread with a natural 20* Hehehehehe...

Spookie Monster

Thanks for all of the interesting opinions, guys! :-)

Spel

I shake...
Like Elliquiy?
My ONs and OFFs
~ R.I.P., Cam ~ ~ R.I.P., Judi ~ ~ R.I.P., Steph ~