The Shards of Kingdoms Past 2.0 [Pathfinder Interest check]

Started by swordwind, June 29, 2013, 07:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

swordwind

Welcome E viewers and future posters, this my second attempt at running this game here.  After a failure or too I'd like to try my luck again. Lets see if we can't get this one up and running and keep it running this time around.

The Game: Many things lay hidden within the past, hidden beneath the veil of time. Ideas, wars, old alliances, even kingdoms. What lays hidden within the lands that is best left unknown? Words stir of conflict and priests dream of blood. Yet all the world is at peace, no hint or warning of military build ups or even magical fluxes of power. Yet omens of doom hover upon the horizon. People all over Kor panic at the news. The Elves remain elusive and the Booshites continue their raids. People try to ignore it but the more it is ignored the stronger the signs become. The high priests and his bodyguard deny these visions as they themselves have had not seen them. People start to pack up and leave, others prepare themselves. The outskirts of the cities and countryside become home to wandering flocks of people and death lingers in the air as hungry people try to get a bit of food. Where is this fear coming from? Why only a select few are touched? What will happen in the coming days?

The Shards of Kingdoms Past is a Pathfinder based game with characters starting at only 1st level. If you don't know what pathfinder is please check out [Book of Knowledge]
As for the rest of you that do know what Pathfinder is you make create a level one character following these guidelines.

Character Creation:
Level: 1
Races Allowed: Only the Core Races listed upon the SRD site Book of Species
Classes: Any class that is within  the SRD site from Core Classes and Base Classes, Book of Heroes or Book of Heroes 2   
Starting gold: Standard for your class. Book of Wealth please scroll down to 8 and take your classes average.
Hit Points: Max, every new level follow your classes automatic HP upon level list.
Traits: You may only have 2. These must be on par with your characters background. 
Background: What your character is and why.
Flavor: Something here of their that you want others to know about your character or yourself.

The areas that you will all be working in is within 5 prime areas. These are those areas, just to give you an idea.

Empires of the World

The Empire of Rom, a . human empire that follows the will of the Emperor. The Emperor is a powerful man of great strength, intelligence, and Iron will. He leads the humans within his kingdom in times of war. He lives within the capitol city of Kor within a impressive castle. The people are hard working and the land is thriving with fertile lands and wealth. Yet visions of unknown danger hovers over parts of the population.

The Elven forest known as the Emerald forest. It houses 4 noble blooded elven city states that have ruled for thosands of years, and a large council city at it's heart. They keep to themselves within their forest. Whatever is affecting Kor they know nothing of nor care it seems.  They are to the east of Kor.

The Mountains of Sorrow. Directly north for the elven empire is a massive mountain range that no one goes to. Dwarfs are rumored to have fortresses littering the mountainside but few can prove this. People that go in come out scarred and changed.

The wastelands. Farther east of the Elven forest is a large wasteland of mud filth, and war. Orcs and orc warlords battle over this area to no end just to fight. No material wealth is in this area and the elves of the eastern end of the forest always are on patrol to prevent and invasion.

The Booshites: North of the Empire of Kor is the steppe lands of the Booshe Barbians. Always skirmishing with the Kor military since as far as people can remember, no one knows why. But to face one in battle strikes terror into even a veteran soldier.

Crude Map: ...............................^^^...........................
...........Booshe........................^^...........................................^^^^^^@%@#$%
........................................^^^^............Mountains of Sorrow.......^^^^^^.#$%@#$%
---------------------------------****^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^.^^^^$#%@#$%@#$%
........................................*.......................................****#$%@#$^@#$^#^Y@$#%^@#
......................................*............................................***@#$@R@DF@#$@#$@@#
......Kor.........................*...Emerald Forest......................**........Wastelands..................
.....................................*..............................................***@#$@#^%#@$%@#$%@#$
.......................................*............................................***#@$%#@$%@#$%@#%^@
.........................................*.........................................****3$%$#^$%^$%^%^@$%

Map Key:
...... Filler
**** Tree line border
^^^^ Mountains
-------Borderline between Kor and Booshe
@!#$!@#%$ filler for a place you don't want to go to

You:
Your character is a nobody trying to make a name for himself to become a somebody, or your just someone that decided to change his lot in life and seek out adventure. The choice as to why you decided to pick up the staff, sword, knife, backpack, it is up to you. I'd like a pairing system here. It's not enforced but I would like for your character and someone else to know one another. How is up to you. All of you will start in a small waylay town built to check merchant goods near the border of Kor and the Emerald forest. More information will be added to the above based on interest. If you have questions do ask.

Starting Location: Bishan [Merchant Exchant Town]

On the borders of the lands of Rom and the Emerald Forest lay numerous merchant stations. These outposts exist to prevent people and products of illegal nature from entering or exiting either empire. Normally these stations are just a single tower with a few guards though some have developed small towns around them as well. People of all kinds flock to these stations to purchase goods or simply to learn the latest news of the realm. Guards are handpicked from soldiers from the capitol and are chosen because of their high moral standards and Rom military discipline.  Despite guard presence, Brothels and bars spring up at nearly every station and back alley deals with illicit goods and drugs are rampant. Because of the military stationed there, you’d expect the worst events being a simple broken window or a missing candle stick due to a disagreement, but darker deeds are performed in the shadows. At one such station, known as Bishan, a change is beginning that will affect the whole of all empires within the known world. It all begins with a single question…. (What question??)

Bishan, a place of budding wealth and growing reputation, is a good, clean, and carefully guarded merchant station. Guarded caravans are commonplace as the outskirts of Bishan are ravaged by bands of thieves and murderers, but within the city confines it is considered a haven of safety. Everyone comes and goes through the station at some point for major goods and deals headed towards the Emerald Forest. People of all trades head out towards the Emerald Forest; some make their fortunes of course and control large estates within the Rom Empire, while others return in rags and despair.

It is here that you find yourselves, seeking your fortunes, for Bishan allows access to many parts of Rom and the Emerald forest. You might even gain employment as a caravan guard, assistant to a mercer, or test your skills with back alley trades. A number of establishments have sprung up around the way station, forming a town of sorts. There are the barracks where the soldiers of Rom and merchant guards are to be found, the tavern is a good place to find a drink and trade some gossip, and the brothel caters to all types and offers carnal pleasures of every sort imaginable. The main thoroughfare is Merchant Lane where everyone comes to purchase, swindle, and obtain the latest word from the capitol.  Guards are posted in pairs or groups throughout the area, wearing simple leather armor and spears with shields. Capitol soldiers are known by their red and yellow vestments, while merchant guards wear earthen tones.

Recent gossip has been about people from the capitol claiming to have odd dreams and even visions of shadows lurking within the dark and pools of blood flowing from towns and cities. Travelers that venture into Bishan have been known to laugh about these tales and claim it is only a ploy to increase the price of goods. Locals fear this possible outcome and are also uneasy about the sudden influx of wandering bands of people. Regardless of whether they believe the rumors or not, merchants are increasing the number of guards on their caravans just to be safe.

You begin your journey in the merchant quarter. Stall keepers try to draw your attention with their harsh cries and gleaming wares, prostitutes bat their eyes with lingering smiles and promises of alluring flesh, and the tavern is in full swing with the roars of song and dance. Guards are going about their duties, smiling and chatting with the locals while verifying goods and arresting drunks. It seems a typical day, but something hovers in the air. Whatever it is, none of you can place from where this uneasiness stems, so you decide to brush it off and explore the Lane. Nearly as soon as you arrive you hear the sounds of a growing crowd near the middle of the town. Guards are leaving their posts and heading towards the area. From your location you can see that people are being drawn to something but you cannot see what. You overhear a trader nearby telling his friend about a merchant and rewards of gold for an easy task. The mood of the gathering crowd is one of growing curiosity and excitement. Looking towards the hubbub you contemplate your next step.

What I can give you: I will reply to whoever posts a question or shows interest within a 24-48 hour timespan. I will also make sure that each of you has a good time if you in turn provide me with characters that you are willing to play.

Mysterica

Hm...  Magus is certain...  but normal magus or a spell dancer?  Decisions decisions.  A bit more damage or more mobility...

kckolbe

Spell dancer may do less damage, but mobility has its perks, as does dancing.  ~grins~
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

indarkestknight

What are we looking at in terms of cosmology? Gods, domains, etc.

swordwind

standard pathfinder deities, unless you want something else in particular. 

Mysterica

swordwind

Thanks for the quick character. Like her already. Quick glance at the character sheet shows she is a Kensai and not the cool elf spell dancer. Other then that looks fine. If you want anymore information about the world I'll toss you a PM or post it here if you want.

Mysterica

No.  It is a spell dancer.  I was arguing with myself for quite a while and just didn't quite remember to change it back.  Problem solved now.  Very much a Spell Dancer.  At any rate, I would in fact like some more information and will leave it up to you where you post it.

godfang

will this be combat heavy, or will it be more social heavy?

swordwind

It's a mixture of the two. I tend to like a balance those two things so people can play and fight with their characters.

godfang

I feel like playing a Lotus Geisha bard archetype, as a type of Cassanove character. Do we have eastern/oriental culture in the setting? Or do i just reflavor it?

swordwind

You can re-flavor it. I don't have an Asian setting in my game. 

Kdyami

Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

godfang

a heal buffer, a caster and a tank. Sounds like a good party

swordwind

got room for alot of people still, just hop on in and I'll find a place for you

godfang

Atlan the Wandering Myrmidon

Char Sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=602344

-Background-
Born and raised in a temple of Gorum, up in the mountains. He was trained from childhood to be a warrior without peer. In this warrior's life, Atlan was forged to be both a follower of his god and a leader of men. 'You must be a hero above all others, no matter the cost' was a creed given to him by the high priests of the temple and it is in this pursuit of glory that Atlan sets out beyond the walls of the temple, armed only with the armor and weapons given to him by his mentors. His goal is to become a great hero and spread the words of Gorum to the people of the land. A warrior should not concern himself with petty gallantry, only with his deeds in the battlefield.

-Personality-
Atlan seeks glory and he does it to prove a point. He hates warriors who concern themselves with politics or career and seeks only to find a fight worthy of dying for. The Booshites became a place for him to earn his legend, the young man travelled from battleground to battleground, offering his aid to the soldiers and even helping them secure victories in skirmishes here and there. He believes that he needs to show them an example of what a warrior truly is and that one day, Rom will become stronger due to his actions.

swordwind

Well he's as dumb as rocks and doesn't look good. But he hits like a truck. Should work fine. Nice character.

godfang

actually, and this may be considered abit of cheating, his conversion inquisition allows him to use wis for bluff-diplomacy-intimidate, so think of him as a zealot. It's not that his own personal magnetism is overwhelming, it's more the teaching of his god that resonates (especially in time of war)

i'll give you that he's not well groomed and probably only bathes once in a while :P as for being dumb, i doubt Gorum (the equivalent to ares from what i gathered) concerns his believers with books. 

Mysterica

Well...  While I personally can't deny that intelligence is rather self explanatory, I certainly can't equate charisma to what a person looks like either!  Frankly Hitler wasn't any looker, but good god if he wasn't charismatic.  How you hold yourself and how you speak have a great deal to do with how charismatic you are...  though frankly personal grooming is also a definite factor, and if Atlan is rather smelly then yeah...  that could lower other's perception of him...

godfang

He smells of sweat and blood!  He has nothing against bathing, but he's certainly not the type to think of bathing during a campaign.

Anyways, when do we start? :D

@Mysterica: did you get my pm?

swordwind

We start when I can get at least one other person into the fold. That or you two are paired together. I'll give it another day and then start with an IC thread and OOC thread

Kdyami

Sorry holiday is killing me at work.  heres my CS I'll try and have backstory and stuff up tomorrow sometime.w sometime.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

swordwind

Alright then, good. Now If I can only find one more person........I'll start tomorrow anyways. So look forwards to it. If you guys know someone that would like to join by all means pull them into the game. 

godfang

i actually might, let me see if i can get her to join

kckolbe

I'd like to play, but not sure what.  Any ideas on what to round out the group with?  Considering Archaeologist, but we already have one bard.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread