Dungeon World (very rules-lite fantasy in the style of D&D)

Started by wander, May 21, 2015, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rish

Quote from: wander on September 18, 2015, 06:56:37 PM
Rish, I was having trouble today thinking on which classes to play a partner with yourself. I want someone skilled with ranged weapons to go with yourself, a Bard, Ranger or Thief. I was also thinking of having just one other NPC with you, so it made it feel more like your character is the main star of the show. Though placing a Fighter, Wizard and Thief with you covers bases and shows you a lot more of the game.

I've noticed you've been approved! Congrats! If you'd like to talk more via PM, please do so and let me know what you'd prefer with partner characters before jumping into the game world. :)

Thank you for the congrats! And let me think, mhmmm. I believe a Ranger, for a ranger can be both ranged and duel wielding closer quarters. (At least in the d&d world they can) Would fit. They can also track and would get along with a druid being from similar environments. And a thief is a must to spot and disable traps. As for a wizard. Could it be possible to encounter and have them join later on? So we have all the bases covered but we don't start off with them covered.

wander

Sure, to end we'll do Bonds quick, which going in just will decide the character arcs you have with those three. For now just fill in whatever you like the sound of with their Class in the blanks. You don't have do a Bond for every character, though if you could pick at least one, that'd be awesome. That done, tomorrow some time (hopefully) I'll make an IC thread for the roleplay.

Bonds:
Fill in the name of one of your companions in at least one:

____________________ smells more like prey than a hunter.

The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows ______________.

I have showed ________________ a secret rite of the Land.

___________ has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

The reasoning for this will be who you fill in will be someone you've met previously or your feeling about someone, when you feel your bond with that character has had some resolution or large change, you get 1xp for following this small subplot through to another phase, where your Bond with that person most likely changes. Resolution of the new Bond gifts another 1xp and so on. These tend to take longer to complete over a few sessions usually as they're to do with character development, which can be fairly slow for a dungeon crawl game by default, though you as the player will have the most say in how the game flows, develops and grows, including the world itself around your character.

Rish

The Ranger smells more like prey than a hunter.
The spirits spoke to me of a great danger that follows the Thief.
I have shown the wizard a secret rite of the land.
The wizard has tasted my blood and I theirs. We are bound by it.

The last two seemed like the best ones to pick for the wizard who will be joining us a little later. So a stronger bond will be shared by the druid with them that will allow him to freely accept him into the group.

Oh! And once everything is done. Could I have a copy of my characters details?

wander

Interesting choice for the Ranger... I like it, I'm a little inspired to make their character a certain way now for you... ^^

The characters will have Bonds with yourself too. The Wizard should be easy to sort out as you seem to want a strong bond with them, though let me know if you'd like the bonds to go a certain way, if you'd like the other characters to like you, think little of you or what have you. I'll ask to confirm when I let you know what Bonds I have chosen they have with you.

I'll PM you a character sheet tomorrow. I believe there's nothing else to ask of you at this point. I'll be a lil busy tomorrow though I'll try and get the IC thread up. I may have some questions for you too, if you answer them, you can get 1xp for every answer that worldbuilds a little bit. :)

Rish

Quote from: wander on September 18, 2015, 09:02:28 PM
Interesting choice for the Ranger... I like it, I'm a little inspired to make their character a certain way now for you... ^^

The characters will have Bonds with yourself too. The Wizard should be easy to sort out as you seem to want a strong bond with them, though let me know if you'd like the bonds to go a certain way, if you'd like the other characters to like you, think little of you or what have you. I'll ask to confirm when I let you know what Bonds I have chosen they have with you.

I'll PM you a character sheet tomorrow. I believe there's nothing else to ask of you at this point. I'll be a lil busy tomorrow though I'll try and get the IC thread up. I may have some questions for you too, if you answer them, you can get 1xp for every answer that worldbuilds a little bit. :)

I am perfectly good with answering every question you ask of me. Even one's that will need a good long response. For example, lore questions. *So do enjoy writing up lore for worlds.* And I will be looking forward to seeing the sheet! Once I have it I plan to see if I can find a suitable image to match them and write a backstory. So he has more depth in the world we're making for the game.

wander

Excellent stuff, feel free to take it casually, I don't expect essays or anything and you'll get 1xp for a face-claim and 1xp for a backstory, on top of any specific answers to questions I'll ask. It takes 8xp to reach Level 2 (of course you need to make camp and rest for that to take effect), though you should find going into the game that Level 2 won't be too far away. And because you gain xp mostly from making rolls, you'll have a really good reason to get involved and interact with the world around you as it forms.

Rish

Good to know, and I won't be making an essays. But expect a good few paragraphs for a back-story. Once I get an idea and working on it I like to get it down.

Cassandra LeMay

Is this still open? I know the rules (even if I never played them) and I could either bring in the Ranger character I made some while ago with Wander, or maybe play a Fighter (tending toward the latter). Should probably only take me a day or two to make a character so I wouldn't hold up the game start much.

But if you already have ideas running through your head that might be best suited for a 1-on-1 game, don't hesitate to say so, Wander. I know how it can be when the muse decides on a certain path.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

The game is still open and infact always is open and recruiting.

It's taken a bit of time via PM to set up a thread with Rish. There's been discussion on a map which I've thrown together and I plan at some point hopefully tonight to open the IC thread here in Non-Adult.

Rish will have two NPCs, an elf ranger and a male halfling rogue, with promise to meet a female human wizard later on. They are named, though some discussion can be done to change an aspect or two if any of these NPC roles sound suitable to play.

Cassandra LeMay

I think I'd go for an original character instead of taking my inspiration from one of those NPCs.

I'm thinking about a good-aligned human fighter with a high DEX and a sharp-edged (+1 damage), perfectly weighed (precise trait) one-handed sword as a signature weapon. Not sure yet about the precise stats of the character, but I am a bit of a fan of the Witcher series so I thought I might try something like that and go with a swordfighter who relies mainly on speed and agility and may pick up a little bit of magic along the way at a later level.

Starting gear would be: dungeon rations, chainmail, adventuring gear, 2 healing potions, 22 coin, and the signature weapon. Given that I can't really afford a decent bow I'd probably spend some of that coin on a few throwing daggers, to give myself a ranged combat option.

Still not sure about the character's stats (except for the high DEX) so I'll have to come back to you about that (maybe tomorrow, i.e. in some 10 or 12 hours or so) and I could change things around a bit, if you have any suggestions we might discuss.

Think you could fit a character like that into the game?

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Rish

I have a suggestion, if you are both willing to hear it. In the discussion we've had so far a deal friend of my Druid, the Wizard, had left on a journey to a very dangerous place.

My idea is thus: You begin your journey with the wizard, and later one, when I am meant to meet up with the wizard, we all do. This should allow us to continue and play without changing really much of anything. Though perhaps adding things that will be added into the world. Like the place you trained, where you are form.

I am actually quite willing to wait if you need the time to set this up with this character Wander.

wander

That's actually a great idea, Rish. That way things aren't interrupted with yourself and I can do a bit of set-up seperately with Cass if they want to play, before meeting up with yourself. Below is a map I made before I received your latest PM, each hex is a day's travel, to fit it all in. As you can see there's a lot of bare patches, though they're going to be filled in as we go, making a nice little bit of fantasy map as we go.

I've had a 'not-good' day today, which has killed my mood some, hopefully tomorrow I'll reply to your PM and get an IC thread started.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Rish on September 26, 2015, 01:50:24 PM
My idea is thus: You begin your journey with the wizard, and later one, when I am meant to meet up with the wizard, we all do. This should allow us to continue and play without changing really much of anything. Though perhaps adding things that will be added into the world. Like the place you trained, where you are form.
Sure. Works for me.  :-)

I still have to decide on a bit of background and a "play by" for my character, but I should be able to PM Wander something today, then we can take it from there - or I can post my character here. Wander? Any preferences? PM or post for my character sheet?

Quote from: wander on September 26, 2015, 07:58:52 PM
I've had a 'not-good' day today, which has killed my mood some, hopefully tomorrow I'll reply to your PM and get an IC thread started.
Just don't try to force things on our account, I'd say. If today turns out to be another bad day I think I can speak for both Rish and myself when I say you should just do what feels okay to you and not force yourself to do anything just because of us.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on September 27, 2015, 03:03:32 AM
Sure. Works for me.  :-)

I still have to decide on a bit of background and a "play by" for my character, but I should be able to PM Wander something today, then we can take it from there - or I can post my character here. Wander? Any preferences? PM or post for my character sheet?
Just don't try to force things on our account, I'd say. If today turns out to be another bad day I think I can speak for both Rish and myself when I say you should just do what feels okay to you and not force yourself to do anything just because of us.

Posting here may be a good option. I think if someone posts their character in the thread, others may feel they want to join in too. Bonds are for the following when you post them;

Thumper the Druid (Rish)
Dodge the halfling thief
Ysolde the human wizard
Celion the elf ranger

Having comp troubles this evening. Once they're sorted I'll have my pdf for a Monster Manual that I can convert to DW stattage (I know there are monsters in the corebook, though I like some of the less common things not in there and I'd like more variety in the things sent against you all) and we can kick off.

Cass, don't feel you need to start in any of the map bits already filled in, I'd actually pass 1xp for you to state a new place your own adventure starts in and more xp aside for other questions I'll have that you answer. You can easily kick off at enough xp for Level 2 before the game starts.

Rish

However, you will need to rest in camp to actually level up. I'm not sure if this is a feature in all the games or a homeruled one by Wander. So I felt the need to say it here. For us, and any that do not know the rules of Experience here to see if they've gained an interest themselves.

wander

Quote from: Rish on September 27, 2015, 07:33:47 PM
However, you will need to rest in camp to actually level up. I'm not sure if this is a feature in all the games or a homeruled one by Wander. So I felt the need to say it here. For us, and any that do not know the rules of Experience here to see if they've gained an interest themselves.

It's an actual game rule. It doesn't have to be a camp either, basically a Level Up is a thing that can be done pretty much whenever downtime in the space of hours or more happens. This is the exact quote from the corebook;

QuoteLevel Up
When you have downtime (hours or days) and XP equal to (or greater than) your current level+7, you can reflect on your experiences and hone your skills.
•Subtract your current level+7 from your XP.
•Increase your level by 1.
•Choose a new advanced move from your class.
•If you are the wizard, you also get to add a new spell to your spellbook.
•Choose one of your stats and increase it by 1 (this may change your modifier). Changing your Constitution increases your maximum and current HP. Ability scores can’t go higher than 18.

Cassandra LeMay

Allright, here's what I have so far:

Gar
Class: Fighter
Race: Human (once per battle reroll a single damage roll – yours or someone else's)
Alignment: Good (defend those weaker than you)
Look: Hard Eyes, unkempt hair and beard, calloused skin, lithe body

(Gar is actually a bit younger than he looks in this image, but it is the closest thing to what I have in mind for him.)

Stats:
STR 12
DEX 16 (+2)
CON 15 (+1)
INT 13 (+1)
WIS 9
CHA 8 (-1)
Maximum Hit Points: 10+CON = 25
Damage: 1d10
Load: STR+12 = 12

Moves:
Bend Bars, Lift Gates (roll+STR to destroy an inanimate object)
Armored (ignore clumsy tag on armor)
Signature Weapon: Gar's pride and joy is his meteoric iron sword, an unblemished, wide, single edged sword with a plain straight crossguard and a short spike protecting the wielder's hand. It does serve its wielder well at close range and is so perfectly weighted that it can be used for fencing maneuvers other swords of this size never could (has the precise tag). Being forged from meteoric iron does not only make this a sword that is not easily damaged and retains its unblemished sheen no matter the beating it takes, it also gives it a sharp edge that cuts easily through armor (+2 piercing).

Gear:
Signature weapon – see above (2 weight)
Leather armor (1 armor, 1 weight) – yes, the rules say the fighter starts with chainmail, but the game stats are the same and right now I don't picture Gar as someone favoring heavy armor.
Adventuring gear (1 weight)
2 healing potions
Dungeon rations, 5 uses (1 weight)
22 coin, 11 coin spent on spent on:
8 throwing daggers (8 coin, 0 weight)
more dungeon rations, 5 uses (1 weight)
Total weight: 6/12

The fighter known as Gar has only recently come to this area but is easily recognized by the design of his sword and black leather armor as a member of the Venati, an ancient group of fighters from the Shark Tooth mountains in the far west, fighters dedicated to the eradication of monsters – if the coin is right.

When his farm was overrun by monsters, Gar was taken in by a Slayer at a young age and trained in their ancient art of swordfighting, but also in monster lore and other knowledge needed to defend the weak. What he does lack are social graces and a certain amount of wisdom, sometimes charging in where angels fear to thread, once he made up his mind that a cause is worth fighting for. Gar is stoic and determined, difficult to dissuade from a path he has chosen. Gar does not give his word easily but stands by it.

Currently Gar is somewhere south west of the wizard capital, in the small village of Henrir's Crossing. This is a fairly average village that owes its existence primarily to the ford it is name after. While the ford means there are travelers and traders passing through the village more or less regularly, most of them just stay a night or two on their way to more prosperous locals so not much commerce actually happens in Henrir's Crossing. The village sits on the higher of the two riverbanks and is defended by a palisade that is sturdy enough to keep wild animals and a few bandits out, but wont help much against a large, determined force.

Bonds: I have sworn to protect Ysolde the wizard.
Celion, the ranger, owes me his life, even if he might not admit it, after I helped him fight off monsters during a recent chance encounter in the wilderness.
I have my doubts about Thumper's ability to survive in a dungeon. As a druid he might not be well-suited for underground adventures.
I am not sure about the morals of Dodge, the thief. I'll keep an eye on him till I am more certain about what kind of thief he is.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

One thing Cass, when you include Str for your Load, it's the character's modifier, not the full stat. Check p.49 of the corebook for the explanation. Basically when the stat is abbreviated to the three letter version, it means modifier when totalling something.

Note it lists to add Constitution (full stat) with HP, but Str, not Strength (modifier) when totalling max Load.

Otherwise all is good. :)

An update!

I have my Monster Manual, which means I can finally set up the starting encounter for Rish, which means an IC thread will be appearing tonight. :) I'll be making a new updated map for this.

When I've done that, I'll be PMing yourself Cass about character questions for starting xp going into the adventure. You may also pick one NPC from a character class to join you and Ysolde to meet up with Rish later. Of course the classes already taken are crossed off that list, though there are still a bunch to choose from. I'd lean on Bard for your third party member, though your choice at the end of the day. :)

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: wander on September 28, 2015, 03:06:11 PM
One thing Cass, when you include Str for your Load, it's the character's modifier, not the full stat. Check p.49 of the corebook for the explanation. Basically when the stat is abbreviated to the three letter version, it means modifier when totalling something.
Okies. Edited the character sheet to correct that. Makes more sense that way, actually. I was, at one point, wondering a little about the high Load value I had, as I couldn't think of a situation where he could possibly come even close to carrying that much gear without a couple pairs of extra arms.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

Rish

I have a question. Does armour really count for load when you're wearing it?

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Rish on September 29, 2015, 04:43:21 AM
I have a question. Does armour really count for load when you're wearing it?
Dungeon World is very rules light so I am fairly certain it does not distinguish between armor carried and armor worn. It also explicitly states in the Armor description in the Gear section of the rulebook that: "Armor is heavy, difficult to wear and is damned uncomfortable..." so I'd say making armor heavy no matter the situation or use is intentional.

Also, DW tends to resolve some things that have distinct rules in other systems in one go, e.g. the way Strength does not modify damage and yet does, because it makes it easier to achieve an attack result that can deal more damage. The classes that are "heavy hitters" will use the Hack and Slash move more often than others, therefore making it more likely they have a good Strength. They are also the ones most likely to wear heavy armor, which means they will have a better Load, balancing the weight of the heavier armors and not putting them at a disadvantage. Not to mention that the people most likely to go for heavy armor (or can get armor as part of their starting gear) already have a higher Load to begin with. All things being equal, it balances out pretty well if armor always counts.

(Sonia Sotomayor)

wander

New map!

One hex is around a day's ride, also to clarify, things aren't to scale, they just note where roughly in the map they are. Each hex is a good few miles in size anyway.

Also because I have updated the map, this means the IC thread is getting closer, perhaps today! ^^;

Rish

I'm a bit ill so I haven't been that responsive, sorry guys.

Acrazymage

Wander are you still recruiting? If so what classes are still unused? I don't want to step on anyone's toes after all. Would I be able to play with the group, or should I wait until I know if I am accepted or not?

wander

Still open for recruiting! ^^

I'm fine to accept unapproved people, the game will be held in Non-Adult after all. Now saying all this, I've yet to place the IC thread up, because I'm totally lazy and have been kinda exhausted recently... ^^;

That said, atm only Druid and Fighter are taken, I made NPCs for a Wizard, Ranger and Rogue, though really if you wanted one of those, you could take control of one. Perhaps by tomorrow I'll actually pull my finger out and get the game going, but please do feel free to talk about what character you'd like and let's get you involved and ready for when the game actually kicks off proper. :)