The Duchess of Arkanoth (A D&D 5e solo idea)

Started by nomadsoul, May 22, 2018, 04:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadsoul

TAKEN

The Concept
Arkanoth is an ancient island quite remote from the mainland and all but inaccessible to conventional means of travel.  Nevertheless, it has continued to intrigue monarchs through the ages due to an abundance of extremely rare metals, magical ruins, and strange eldritch locations.  After a century of continent-spanning warfare that finally ground to halt and the resulting peace (read: cold war), eyes turn to Arkanoth as a means of obtaining resources to provide an edge.  Unable to commit armies, they turn to patriotic adventurers to tame and colonize the land.  Any who dare the task must weigh the payoff of powers and riches against building a nation and rival adventurers.

Due to the difficulty of funding an expedition to Arkanoth, only very rich or well-connected nobles can afford this, but an alternative rests with a decadent group of noble-born mages who grew very wealthy from the spoils of war.  These cowled and masked group, known as The Silken Seekers, offer to fund the expedition, but only on the agreement that a pair of flying magical constructs accompany the adventurer to record their travels (and thus making their lives a sort of reality tv crystal-ball show).  The constructs can be deactivated, but is unlikely to win continued funding.

The Details
I'm seeking a player, who would like to take on the role of the titular duchess (based on the provided pictures).  Alternatively, if there are any GMs out there who would like to run a solo game for me, this is a role I'd like to try.  I've left some details vague, which can be set up/agreed upon by the player.

The Duchess would be a human
adventurer

Ability scores from 27 points-buy.

She is a 4th level PC, chosen or multi-classed from:

• Bard
  • Fighter
  • Monk (Way of the Kensai)
  • Paladin
  • Ranger
  • Rogue
  • Warlock (Pact of the Blade)
in her mid-twenties up to early thirties.  Her family came into misfortune, which left her father dead and her older brother fled (fearing the same), leaving her as the sole heiress.  Never expecting to inherit, she is more a person of action rather than a creature of politics.  A closely kept family secret is that past family fortunes came from fiendish bargains, and such bloodlines run in the family; the duchess is technically a tiefling, though a
paragon one
Statistically, she will possess the combined
racial features of a human (standard or
variant) and tiefling (standard or variant).
who looks completely human.  She may, or may not be aware of this.  To her, establishing herself in Arkanoth is a chance to restore the family name and start anew.  After obtaining funds from the Silken Seekers, she uses what remains of her family's
wealth
Maximum wealth for your 1st class
to spend on equipment.

A 'war chest' of 100 pp (1000 gp)
to spend of salaries and other
mundane necessities.
to hire
mercenaries
A small 15 man company, costing 10 gp/merc
per week.
to help see her plans through and sets sail.

The Game
Apart from good old adventuring and exploring the mysteries of Arkanoth, I'm seeing a bit of colony- and/or nation-building going on.  There's also the morale and continued payment of the mercenaries to keep up.  There's a voyeuristic element in the form of the Silken Seekers trailing constructs, though they do have other interests other than spying on the characters sexual escapades; likewise, sometimes, it may be prudent to control how much they can see - the Seekers are a shady bunch, and if one takes a dislike to you, they may tip off other adventurers they have sponsored into ambushing or waylaying you.

With regards to smut, we can work with anything our O/Os can converge on, and given the untapped nature of the setting, I think there's potential to include a great many things without them seeming out of place.

If this sounds like something for you, get in touch by PM.