Signature Questions

Started by HockeyGod, May 07, 2010, 03:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HockeyGod

I guess I'm full of questions today. Sorry about that!

Since the signatures are suppressed to applicants and guests (no longer public) I had a couple of questions:

1. Are the public rules no longer in play? Meaning, can members use non-PG13 signature images?

2. Is there still a requirement that the images be uploaded to the wiki? (Related: Is there a reason for this?)

Thank you.

Vekseid

Public rules are mostly in place because a lot of members browse Elliquiy from work. It has less to do with shielding the public in general.

Similarly, the reason for images to be uploaded to the wiki is because javascript only fires when all images are loaded. So a lot of complaints about blank shoutboxes were directly due to that, amongst other things breaking.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Vekseid on May 07, 2010, 04:15:28 PM
Public rules are mostly in place because a lot of members browse Elliquiy from work. It has less to do with shielding the public in general.

Hmmm...semi-understandable. Can signature images be suppressed as avatars can?

Quote from: Vekseid on May 07, 2010, 04:15:28 PM
Similarly, the reason for images to be uploaded to the wiki is because javascript only fires when all images are loaded. So a lot of complaints about blank shoutboxes were directly due to that, amongst other things breaking.

Ok. Additional question, I just haven't really paid attention, but when we load an avatar image, is it being loaded to the wiki?

I'm learning quite a bit about some of the inner-workings today, LOL!

Vekseid

Quote from: alxnjsh on May 07, 2010, 04:40:05 PM

Yes.

Ok. Additional question, I just haven't really paid attention, but when we load an avatar image, is it being loaded to the wiki?

I'm learning quite a bit about some of the inner-workings today, LOL!

Avatars get downloaded straight to the forum,regardless of where you grab them from.

Trieste

Quote from: alxnjsh on May 07, 2010, 04:40:05 PM

I might point out that signatures are usually more functional in linking O&Os, A&As, etc, than avatars (which are now also a link, though). So yes, it can be suppressed, but if you force people to do so by putting a lot of questionable images in them, they cease to be quite so useful... and somewhat lose their point.

HockeyGod

Quote from: Trieste on May 07, 2010, 06:29:54 PM
I might point out that signatures are usually more functional in linking O&Os, A&As, etc, than avatars (which are now also a link, though). So yes, it can be suppressed, but if you force people to do so by putting a lot of questionable images in them, they cease to be quite so useful... and somewhat lose their point.

Makes sense  :-)

Caeli

Quote from: Trieste on May 07, 2010, 06:29:54 PM

This. I've had to turn off avatars and signatures when I browse Elliquiy in school, precisely because of 'questionable images' . :(
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs