IRC roleplay for dummies

Started by Celestial Goblin, July 04, 2007, 04:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial Goblin

For those who do it, questions from someone who never tried it before.

Suppose I am looking for good, fun and kinky roleplaying places on the IRC.
Where should I go?
I'm looking for places that are mature, cultured, centered on roleplaying rather than hooking up and seriously about fetishes and bondage, rather than 'vanilla' sexy.

Any hints on where to start?

Elayne

Well, I haven't really played on IRC in over a year but I find IRC tends to change pretty slowly, so I maybe I can give you some tips.

The place to start would be www.mirc.com  --  That's the IRC client that I'm most familiar with and can help you with.

Now, once you've got your client set up and ready to roll, I'd start it up.  Don't bother logging in to any of the default channels.  With IRC, (like WWW), there's a couple of main hubs that everyone knows, but there's also tons of private hubs that you'd likely not know about unless you already knew the address for them.  :) 

I'd start with /server irc.bondage.com

Once you've logged in, type /list to see a list of all the active rooms.  The list will also give you the number of people currently in the room and the topic of the room.

For the most part, if you see 52 people in something with the topic "Happy Birthday d-cot{M}", I'd assume there's no one actually roleplaying in there.  :)  Scroll on down the list till you find something that catches your eye. 

The other place I'd check out is /server irc.sorcery.net

That one is pretty much exclusively roleplay, though it tends to not be adult.  There's hidden gems in there, of course, but all of PG Star Wars and Vampires.  :)

And the very last place where you might run into something is /server irc.stratics.com

Stratics is a central hub of gaming.  Most of it's dedicated to Online gaming like Everquest and World of Warcraft, but some of the roleplayers from those games run spin off rooms on the stratics chat to keep in chat.  I'd be pretty surprised if you ran into anything game wise on the server, but you'd probably be able to run into people who could give you directions to the current stuff.
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere