Hogwarts Rebuilt (Almost ready to start)

Started by kckolbe, September 18, 2012, 09:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

I plan on hashing out years later on down the road, and will likely just do a vote once everything gets moved to an OOC thread.  As far as atmosphere, I plan on having a lot going on, mainly in terms of events.  To everyone who wants to play a character that doesn't play Quidditch or duel, or sucks in classes, feel free.   Just bear in mind that those things will happen, and I don't want you to feel left out.  So if your char would be happy watching the games instead of playing them, or instead wants to sneak around, you have my blessing.  Sheet-wise your character is approved, though I will likely PM you tomorrow with some suggestions and questions to make sure that is what you want. 

As for gender/sexuality, thus far there seem to be slightly more female chars than males, though it is too early to say.  Most of my chars are male, and I have a lot of NPCs.  I would probably wait and see how things turn out for a day or so and decide then.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Photo

P.H.O.T.O.'S .. P.O.C.K.E.T.
notes and miscellaneous trash

If you really want to read this, you can, but it's seriously just notes, you should really just ignore it.

I start with five "talent traits", and increase each of their ranks by one, leaving me with FIFTEEN available ability points.
Talent Traits:
-Cunning
-Agility
-Persuasion
-Deception
&
-Magical Studies

Now, I get to thinking about what This character is going to be extremely good at, and spend three points on it to make it a four, leaving me with TWELVE ability points to spend.
I choose Agility. The control over her own body is something that comes in high regard, and she would be trained in many ways to physically move around the world.

with the remaining twelve, I decide that six of them should be spent to make two more trained skills, and the other six used to balance out the characters stats, while sustaining the tone of the girl in my mind. Allowing the system to inspire the character a bit, I plan on forming her overall placement and personality from this process. I may end up at level four with abilities that i didn't expect. Irrellevant

I use four points on Awareness, shifting it up to four, EIGHT points remain.

same deal on WILL, down to four points in every way.
Status, Knowledge, magic expertise, and magic projection all increase to three. all of my ability points are gone. My raw ability tree is displayed in the post.

Ok, so, I worked out the ability scores and I assigned myself eight specialities. Let me know if my straight ability work looks clean. I'm saving one Destiny point for future burn usage. As far as qualities and disadvantages go, I kind of guessed at how they worked, because i couldn't find any information on how to pick them, and what not. If I have to spend a Destiny point for the favored spell, I would rather not, if I get it for free because I took a disadvantage, or something, let me know. I definitely don't completely understand this system yet.

Character sheet

Name: Vexa R. Gaudia
House: Slytherin
Appearance: She looks like a haunted porcelain doll. Vexa dresses in expensive clothing. She comes from a wealthy, well-to-do family, but she can wear these clothes without a pompous look on her face. She has long curling black hair and pale white skin that often contrasts to her dark green clothing. Proud of her Slytherin house, she flies the colours often. Long and thin, tall, and almost gangly, Vexa looks unhealthy most days, she doesn't like to sleep, and she wears heavy make-up around her eyes anyway. It's mostly genetic though, her self image is high, and she considers herself to be one of the sexier women at the school.
Brief background: Vexa's father had a family history of witchcraft that dated deep into the old days. Her mother's side of the family was more modern, but she was born a pure blood, and she's deathly proud of it. Their family hadn't been active at hog-warts for many decades, now, Vexa and her two older brother's are studying with dire intensity. (friends in high places - brothers). For years, both of her parents' families were hidden in the muggle world. So, she is only slightly removed from the every day life of people unaccustomed to the world of wizardry. She feels like this gives her an advantage over 'hog-wart kids', especially 'hogwart mud-bloods'. These are both families that have attended the school for a long time and no longer see the privilege that they have as long expected students, and fantastic childhoods. Vexa didn't always know that she would be at hog-warts, so she treats every day like the last day of her life.
Personality: Vexa is an opportunist at heart, and a thinker when it comes to every day life. She does look at every conversation like a challenge, and all of her fellow students are rivals. This nature comes out of her more often than anything else, and she treats most people rather poorly, including her instructors. However, she does respect people, and she is willing to help them if she receives something in return. Respect doesn't always equate to friendship, Vexa is cold, and doesn't truly like to spend time with other people. She is willing to make friends, but its hard to say if she's able to. Most people would likely have a difficult time trusting her, and on good merit. But, she is capable of being a good person. It just goes heavily unadvertised.

Qualities: Friends in High Places: +1B to all Persuasion tests with characters of Status 4 or greater.
Favored Spell: Choose any spell you have cast successfully.  The DC to cast that spell in the future is lowered by 3.
Disadvantages: Poor Health: Reduce Endurance tests to remove injuries or wounds by 3.

THE NUMBERS

Agility                 - FOUR-
Animal Handling - TWO-
Athletics             - TWO-
Awareness         - FOUR-
                *Empathy: Determine true intentions
Cunning             - THREE-
                *Decipher: To determine true meaning of coded messages or messages in another language
                *Memory: Recall useful information when the time is needed
Deception           -THREE-
Endurance          - TWO-
Fighting              - TWO-
Knowledge         - THREE-
                *Education: History of Magic, Astronomy, Muggle Studies
                *Research: Searching for the answers needed
Magical Expertise  - THREE-
Magical Projection - THREE-
               *(Charms)
Magical Studies      - THREE-
      *Herbology
Marksmanship        - TWO-
Persuasion             - THREE-
Reflexes                 - TWO-
Status                     - THREE-
                *Reputation: You are able to make yourself seem and appear more important then your actual position warrants
Stealth                  - TWO-
Will                        - FOUR-

STATS
Intrigue Defense= 6
Composure= 12
Combat Defense= 6
Health= 6
Passive Resistance= 8  OR 16
Damage= 1/0/3
Movement= 4
Sprint= 16

Destiny point Invested upon character creation - FRIENDS IN HIGH PLACES. I like this a lot!
WAND
Warped: Your wand has knots in it that interfere with casting, and builds up magical energy.  -1 to all casting rolls, 1 in 6 chance to add +2 to affect rolls.

I think that's everything? Let me know what you think Kckolbe, I think I told you i was going to PM this, but I got really excited, and wanted to share it.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

TheHangedOne

By the way, KC, I was thinking about familiars and such, and had an idea for Gustav's. I wanted him to have either a purebred Kneazle (with an appropriate license for owning one), or a mixed one (Half-kneazle, half-lynx), which would still be a fairly large and semi-dangerous familiar.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

AribethAmkiir

still interested but I won't be able to look at this until Friday.

kckolbe

Photo, your character is fine mechanically.  The extra destiny point you have left over is either used to buy a new quality, or just saved for an "oh shit" moment.  I'd like to point out that she has quite a bit in common with HangedMan's character, so I would like you both to see if you are okay with that.  Also, I'll PM you with some other ideas.

If you want an animal companion that is "above the norm," I'd have to require a quality for it (there's one in SoIaF I can use), and it likely has Animal Handling 3 as a prereq. 

Aribeth, glad to have you back on board.  For those who don't know, she was in the last attempt at this game, which damn near made it through the night of everyone's arrival.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Check out my poet tree!

Photo

I read over Hanged man's character, and they are very diffferent. as far as i can see, similar stat builds, but different focus' for sure. We're both dark characters, and we'll probably get along. I think it'll be nice that we have another little evil kindred spirit to cling to. Vexa does need a friend at this school.

I am taking poor health in order to have a favoured spell, and I'll be hanging on to one Destiny point for future use. I'll be looking at the spells soon, to figure out which ones I am capable of, and which one my favoured spell is. I'll place all of it at the end of this post and my character sheet.

and finally, I'm willing to move her to Ravenclaw if it helps the game, Kckolbe.
Apologies and Absences

MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA MIA

TheHangedOne

Hmmhmmhmm. This should be fun.  :-) Though I would like to note, that even though Gustav is technically a Dark Wizard and comes from a line of pure-blood Dark Wizards, he's more of an anti-villain then anything else.

Edit: Also, kckolbe, did you see my post in reference to familiars?
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

There definitely are some differences, but just wanted to make sure both players are happy.

HangedMan, here was my response to your familiar question.
Quote from: kckolbe on September 20, 2012, 04:10:07 AM
If you want an animal companion that is "above the norm," I'd have to require a quality for it (there's one in SoIaF I can use), and it likely has Animal Handling 3 as a prereq. 

Lastly, I am not really paying much attention to Houses and year for now.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Whoops. Looks like I should put another point into my reading comprehension.  :-[ Okay, hmm, I will stick with just a regular cat, then.
Check out my poet tree!

Kdyami

If you've got room for one more male I'd love to have a go at this. 

I'm very unfamilliar with system's but I read the "rules" and it all makes sense.  I can have the numbers up tonight and you can let me know what I need to fix.
Hey all I'm property of the U.S government and as such I may randomly disappear for a day or two.  I apologize in advance but I'll get back to you ASAP

kckolbe

Still plenty of room for both genders.  Looking forward to seeing the first draft.

Intro Thread

Sephiriel

Have no fear for Jane is....

oh, just in time to read on the latest posts. I am also interested in this although I am fairly new to systems...please don't throw tomatoes at me if I make a mistake or two with my character's stats (should have one up in the next couple of days)

I could make a female or a male, just let me know which do you need most.

TheHangedOne

Good to see you, Jane.  :-) If you need help, let me know.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Welcome, Jane.  Don't worry about being new to systems.  This is a fairly simple one to learn.  In fact, only two people here (including me), have ever played this system, and I will offer plenty of advice as you create your character.

If you have no preference, then I would go female.  We seem about even, perhaps slightly ahead on women, but I have a considerable number of male NPCs, so right now the overall numbers favor males.  I can not say it is a strong preference at this point.  However, I haven't asked if anyone plans on playing more than one character.  Bear in mind that second and other characters start with three fewer points than primary characters.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

I might end up playing another student.  I am curious, consequently, of what the point spread is for them, though.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

What do you mean by the point spread?  Instead of 20 points for abilities you would only have 17.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

No other changes for specialties or fate points or anything? Okay.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

I am considering 2 points less for specialties as well, but it doesn't seem to be much of an issue either way.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

So, how does this look? Pretty sure the math is right, but wanting to double check.  Also, anybody want to take a guess at what his favorite class is?  :D

Agility 3
Animal Handling 4 Ride 1B, Charm 1B
Athletics 3
Awareness - 3
Cunning - 2
Deception 2
Endurance 4 Resilience 1B
Fighting  2
Knowledge - 3
Magical Expertise 3
Magical Projection 3
Magical Studies 3
Marksmanship 2
Persuasion 2 Charm 1B
Reflexes 3 Quickness 1B
Status 2
Stealth 2
Will 3 Dedication 1B

Qualities: Night Eyes, Danger Sense
Drawbacks: None

Intrigue Defense: 4
Composure: 9
Combat Defense: 6
Health: 12
Passive Resistance: 16/12
Damage: 2/1/4
Movement: 4 yards
Sprint: 16 yards
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Wow, two characters focusing on Animal Handling.  Definitely unexpected.  Go ahead and remove 2 points of specialties.  I want there to be a little more separation.

Intro Thread

TheHangedOne

Quote from: kckolbe on September 21, 2012, 08:17:38 AM
Wow, two characters focusing on Animal Handling.  Definitely unexpected.  Go ahead and remove 2 points of specialties.  I want there to be a little more separation.
Done. Removed Herbology and Train.
Check out my poet tree!

kckolbe

Sweet.  Just so you both know, BetaBonk is working on a Animal Handling type as well, but I don't see it as a major issue since the characters are pretty different otherwise.  Also, Beta has the full points to cover other stuff with.

I do want to clarify something really quickly, since it may have been conveyed poorly.  I don't mind 5 in abilities if you want to spend the points on it.  I really don't.  The only reason I said to run it by me is that there are times when it doesn't work.  For example, no student can have a status of 5 (and even 4 requires some explanation).  Also, if someone was wanting to play a first or second year with a 5 in Magical Studies I probably wouldn't allow it.  So there are cases, but it isn't like I frown on them.  I believe I have two NPCs that have a 5 somewhere.

Also, just to make it official, I believe there is enough interest to go forward.  At this point, there are enough interested players to have two Houses with 4-5 each (if they all make characters), which is a good number.  It's tempting to shoot for all 4 Houses with 2-3 each, but I think that would make for rather awkward and more forced interaction early on.  I am still very interested in getting new players, so don't be shy. 

Intro Thread

Sephiriel

*Raises hand*

Question Mr. GM! Can you tell us please how many players are there in all the 4 Houses: Ravenclaw, Slytherin, Hufflepuff and Gryffindor?
(that is if there are other players interested who haven't shown up on the OOC yet)

kckolbe

Right now, no PCs are allocated to Houses or years.  I am waiting until most of our folks are done with at least a first draft of their char sheets before starting that.  I likely will not have PCs in all four Houses unless we get a lot more players, as I don't want a House with less than 4 PCs in it.

Intro Thread