Books, books and more books!

Started by Immortal Flame, September 08, 2012, 06:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Immortal Flame

I am and have been an avid readers for years.  There are so many great books out there from all areas of interest.  I was wondering if anyone wanted to discuss some of their favorites and talk about why they are so great.  Any genre, as I'm always looking for something new!

My favorite author is Anne Bishop.  I absolutely adore her Black Jewels series, especially the original trilogy.  I feel that there is really something special and dark captured in those books that I just haven't come across in quite the same way anywhere else.

I also truly enjoy anything by Rob Thurman.  I'm a big fan of her Cal Leandros and the spin-off Trickster series.  They are another foray in darker fantasy, though these are more modern/urban fantasy.  There are plenty of dark creatures and lots of internal and external conflict.  I also love the relationship between the two brothers in the series.  There is a very interesting dynamic between the two of them, and the concept of sacrifice is a running theme throughout the books that is at time heart-wrenching.

Has anyone else read anything that was just unbelievably good?

Mobats

I agree with you on the original trilogy for the  BJS and have to state that the books after that just seem flat and shallow.  It is almost as if she is was just writing them to appease the readers.  I loathe when authors do that.

I am really into the Kushiel books by Jacqueline Carey.  High fantasy with an epic journey, betrayal, court intrigue and BDSM to boot.  It has a little bit of everything in it.  She also has a two book series about man made werewolves.

Beyond that I have a true addiction to a lot of teen series, not Twilight in any fashion, but things like Percy Jackson, The Tapestry, Harry Potter, Poison Study Books, and a few others to boot.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Mobats on September 09, 2012, 11:11:46 AM
I agree with you on the original trilogy for the  BJS and have to state that the books after that just seem flat and shallow.  It is almost as if she is was just writing them to appease the readers.  I loathe when authors do that.

I am really into the Kushiel books by Jacqueline Carey.  High fantasy with an epic journey, betrayal, court intrigue and BDSM to boot.  It has a little bit of everything in it.  She also has a two book series about man made werewolves.

Beyond that I have a true addiction to a lot of teen series, not Twilight in any fashion, but things like Percy Jackson, The Tapestry, Harry Potter, Poison Study Books, and a few others to boot.

I feel the same about some of the later Black Jewels.  Mainly the most recent collection of short stories fell a little flat fo rme.  One story in particular, which I won't specifcy in case you haven't read that one yet.  I haven't read Kushiel, but they are on my TBR list.  One of my good friends has read them and absolutely loved the series.

I've also really been wanting to read the Percy Jackson books, and I've obtained the first couple.  Harry Potter is a must read, I think, and not just for all the hype surrounding them.  I really feel like those books are well worth their reputation, and just so well written and plotted.  Who are the Poison Study books by?  I'm not sure that I've heard of them before.

Oniya

Two authors that I continually hype are Andre Norton and Charles deLint.  Neither one is a 'new' author - Andre was the 'Grand Dame of Science Fiction/Fantasy' for years, and her CV is vast - at a shelf and a half, I have only a small fraction of her output.  DeLint is a fine voice in the genre of 'urban fantasy'  Elves on motorcycles?  The Mafia being knocked down a peg by the Fae?  He's your guy.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Mobats

I have all of Charles De Lint's books.  My favorite of his is Spirits in the Wire.  Its where a website is a living and sucks people in.  It is so good.

Pumpkin Seeds

The book I am reading is unbelievably good, well written and well researched.  Non-fiction though and kind of horrifying to read with all the interviews and conclusions the man reaches.  Though I do encourage anyone to read the book figuring the more people aware of what is going on the better.

Sex Trafficking Inside the Buisness of Modern Slavery by Siddharth Kara.

Mobats

I heard a little about tha book but hearing someone reading it and liking it is awesome and makes me want to read it now. Thank you.

Lilias

My favourite author is Marion Zimmer Bradley. Equally prolific as an author and editor, I learned perhaps 90% of what I know about writing fantasy from her anthology work. I was devastated when she died, in 1999, because I hoped to write for her.

Another perennial favourite is Jim Butcher, Mr Urban Fantasy himself. I'm trying to find time to delve into his more classical fantasy Codex Alera series, but I can hardly keep up with the way he brings out Dresden Files, and Harry Dresden can jump the queue whenever he wants. >.<
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Oniya on September 09, 2012, 08:39:30 PM
Two authors that I continually hype are Andre Norton and Charles deLint.  Neither one is a 'new' author - Andre was the 'Grand Dame of Science Fiction/Fantasy' for years, and her CV is vast - at a shelf and a half, I have only a small fraction of her output.  DeLint is a fine voice in the genre of 'urban fantasy'  Elves on motorcycles?  The Mafia being knocked down a peg by the Fae?  He's your guy.

I've actually never heard of Andre Norton, but I will definitely look that one up and browse around.  DeLint I have definitely heard of, and even own a few books (even though to my shame I haven't read any yet).  There are a couple that have been on my massive TBR list forever, but from all the positive information I keep getting, I think I need to move them up the list! That Mafia Fae thing sounds awesome to me.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Mobats on September 09, 2012, 08:50:53 PM
I have all of Charles De Lint's books.  My favorite of his is Spirits in the Wire.  Its where a website is a living and sucks people in.  It is so good.

I've heard a lot of good things about Charles DeLint, which really makes me want to move the books up my reading list.  I'll have to check out that title, as I don't think I own a copy of that one. :)

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on September 10, 2012, 09:44:32 AM
The book I am reading is unbelievably good, well written and well researched.  Non-fiction though and kind of horrifying to read with all the interviews and conclusions the man reaches.  Though I do encourage anyone to read the book figuring the more people aware of what is going on the better.

Sex Trafficking Inside the Buisness of Modern Slavery by Siddharth Kara.

There's nothing wrong with a good non-fiction now and again, especially something well documented and researched.  My educational background is in Sociology and Criminal Justice, so that kind of thing is probably what I might pick up out of the non fiction.  I'll have to take a look at that one.  I once read a book for class that was titled "I Cried, You Didn't Listen," which was an expose on the California Youth Authority written by a child who became a product of a bad system.  It was horrifying at times because it really looked at things that many people tend to shy away from because they don't want to acknowledge such problems.  There were heart-wrenching scenes, and though it was a very short book, it is one that I will always remember.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Lilias on September 10, 2012, 05:25:04 PM
My favourite author is Marion Zimmer Bradley. Equally prolific as an author and editor, I learned perhaps 90% of what I know about writing fantasy from her anthology work. I was devastated when she died, in 1999, because I hoped to write for her.

Another perennial favourite is Jim Butcher, Mr Urban Fantasy himself. I'm trying to find time to delve into his more classical fantasy Codex Alera series, but I can hardly keep up with the way he brings out Dresden Files, and Harry Dresden can jump the queue whenever he wants. >.<

Marion Zimmer Bradley was an iconic writer, known by many who had never even read a book by her.  It was such a sad event when she passed.

Jim Butcher is one of my favorites as well!  I haven't read any of his Codex Alera series, but I am in LOVE with the Dresden Files.  I've only read about the first six or seven so far, but they are absolutely fantastic.  The Rob Thurman Cal Leandros books have some elements that are reminiscent of that genre, and I love them as well.

Oniya

Quote from: Immortal Flame on September 10, 2012, 05:59:23 PM
I've actually never heard of Andre Norton, but I will definitely look that one up and browse around.  DeLint I have definitely heard of, and even own a few books (even though to my shame I haven't read any yet).  There are a couple that have been on my massive TBR list forever, but from all the positive information I keep getting, I think I need to move them up the list! That Mafia Fae thing sounds awesome to me.

That one would be Faerie Tale, unless I have my titles mixed up.  (I've read a lot of DeLint.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Oniya on September 10, 2012, 06:37:51 PM
That one would be Faerie Tale, unless I have my titles mixed up.  (I've read a lot of DeLint.)

Thanks! I'll definitely look it up :D

Mobats

If you all like WWII books (this one is fiction) I highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I love it so much have had to buy a second copy because the first one fell apart.

KieraJade

I devour books like they are candy!

One of my favorite sci-fi and fantasy authors is definitely Timothy Zahn - who first introduced me to the world of sci-fi through his Star Wars trilogy. Along those same veins is Kevin J. Anderson.

In the modern/sci-fi/erotica genre, my favorite authors have got to be Sherillyn Kenyon, Laurell K. Hamilton and J.R. Ward. I've been reading Ward's angel series lately and can't get enough of her characters. They are so real and her dialogue scenes will literally make you laugh out loud sometimes. I also love that she gives her characters real-life challenges. Like being blind or mute.
#prismbreaker
"I am not a committee!"

Question Mark

Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, specifically the massive and awesome Wheel of Time series (14th and final book, A Memory of Light, comes out in January!).  I consider it to be the pinnacle of epic high fantasy.  David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean were my favorites in this genre before I discovered WoT, and I still retread them (all ten books!) every couple of years.

Robert Nylund's contributions to the Halo expanded universe are great military sci-fi pieces, and although not the best books in this post, they'll always hold a dear place in my heart.  William C. Dietz is another notable author; he's got some fantastic original works (Runner anybody?). Keeping with the expanded universe authors, Richard Knaak's War of the Ancients trilogy (Warcraft universe) was breathtaking, even if the majority of the fan community seems to hate him; he's got great prose, but I suppose Christie Golden's (much) simpler style is easier for casual readers.

Rendesvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is my favorite book, period.  The sequels weren't that bad either. Keeping to the hard sci-fi genre, I'm also a big fan of Larry Niven, Orson Scott Card, and Heinlein (Ringworld series, Ender series, and Starship Troopers respectively).

Brian Jacques was my first favorite author.  I devoured Redwall books in my early teens.  RIP you brilliant, brilliant man :(

VicodinRhapsody

If you care for anything with suspense and a supernatural air, there's always the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. I've read SO many of his books since I was a teenager and this series is one of the best collections of stories he's ever done. Last I'd heard, a movie of 'Odd Thomas' was in the works, but no release date. I'll be interested to see that, since they're forever screwing up Koontz's books with movie versions. The movies always suck.

OR... Don't laugh. Bertrice Small... She's a romance writer with a REALLY good hold on history. A while back, she started a series of modern-day erotica books in the Pleasures series. They involve something called The Channel, which is a PPV channel meant for women to live out their fantasies (whatever they may be). I've read the first 3 but I've fallen behind because I can't afford buying them up like I used to. Not a single one disappointed me.
BUT...there's also her World of Hetar series. Her only fantasy series. Revolves around the half-faerie, Lara, and her lifelong destiny. Again, I've only read the first three, but never was disappointed. Ms Small NEVER lacks for creativity, and her detailing of EVERYTHING in her stories is incredible. Definitely worth a read!
Medicate me
Infiltrate me
Side effects appear
Can't you stop what's happening...

Ons/Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=151667.0

Immortal Flame

Quote from: KieraJade on September 12, 2012, 07:05:09 PM
I devour books like they are candy!

One of my favorite sci-fi and fantasy authors is definitely Timothy Zahn - who first introduced me to the world of sci-fi through his Star Wars trilogy. Along those same veins is Kevin J. Anderson.

In the modern/sci-fi/erotica genre, my favorite authors have got to be Sherillyn Kenyon, Laurell K. Hamilton and J.R. Ward. I've been reading Ward's angel series lately and can't get enough of her characters. They are so real and her dialogue scenes will literally make you laugh out loud sometimes. I also love that she gives her characters real-life challenges. Like being blind or mute.

Oh, I love JR Ward!  I've actually met her a couple of times and she its simply amazing to hear her read aloud from her books.  I've only read the first of the Angel series, though I enjoyed it a lot.  I absolutely adore the Brotherhood books!  Sherrilyn Kenyon is another great author.  I can never get enough of her Dark Hunters :) 

Hamilton, on the other hand, is a bitter-sweet topic.  I loved her books for a long time, but after a point, they just became sort of pointless to me.  Up through about Obsidian Butterfly, she had my full attention, but somewhere around Danse Macabre, I just had to let that series go.   It was extremely dissapointing to me that her main character changed so dramatically without enough cause for me.  As much as I had enjoyed the characters and plots, in Danse, after I had invested all those hours of reading and finally made it to the end... I could even remember who the bad guy was any more because it was bogged down with so much senseless smut that I couldn't find my way out.  I enjoy smut as much as the next girl, but there comes a point when the scales have tipped, you know?  It sort of felt to me like she was letting some factors from her personal life leak onto the page, and that never ends well.   :-( 

Immortal Flame

Quote from: VicodinRhapsody on September 14, 2012, 11:21:36 AM
If you care for anything with suspense and a supernatural air, there's always the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. I've read SO many of his books since I was a teenager and this series is one of the best collections of stories he's ever done. Last I'd heard, a movie of 'Odd Thomas' was in the works, but no release date. I'll be interested to see that, since they're forever screwing up Koontz's books with movie versions. The movies always suck.

OR... Don't laugh. Bertrice Small... She's a romance writer with a REALLY good hold on history. A while back, she started a series of modern-day erotica books in the Pleasures series. They involve something called The Channel, which is a PPV channel meant for women to live out their fantasies (whatever they may be). I've read the first 3 but I've fallen behind because I can't afford buying them up like I used to. Not a single one disappointed me.
BUT...there's also her World of Hetar series. Her only fantasy series. Revolves around the half-faerie, Lara, and her lifelong destiny. Again, I've only read the first three, but never was disappointed. Ms Small NEVER lacks for creativity, and her detailing of EVERYTHING in her stories is incredible. Definitely worth a read!

Actually, I have read a Bertrice Small some years ago!  It was definitely enjoyable, and I believe it was one of her historicals.  There's no shame in finding a great author, regardless of the cover models ;)  I actually have the first in the Odd Thomas series, but I haven't read it yet.  Its been on my (rather overwhelming) TBR pile for a while now.  It would be interesting to see it made into a movie, as I always thought the premise was interesting.  I'll have to move it up my reading list!

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Question Mark on September 12, 2012, 08:22:11 PM
Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, specifically the massive and awesome Wheel of Time series (14th and final book, A Memory of Light, comes out in January!).  I consider it to be the pinnacle of epic high fantasy.  David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean were my favorites in this genre before I discovered WoT, and I still retread them (all ten books!) every couple of years.

Robert Nylund's contributions to the Halo expanded universe are great military sci-fi pieces, and although not the best books in this post, they'll always hold a dear place in my heart.  William C. Dietz is another notable author; he's got some fantastic original works (Runner anybody?). Keeping with the expanded universe authors, Richard Knaak's War of the Ancients trilogy (Warcraft universe) was breathtaking, even if the majority of the fan community seems to hate him; he's got great prose, but I suppose Christie Golden's (much) simpler style is easier for casual readers.

Rendesvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is my favorite book, period.  The sequels weren't that bad either. Keeping to the hard sci-fi genre, I'm also a big fan of Larry Niven, Orson Scott Card, and Heinlein (Ringworld series, Ender series, and Starship Troopers respectively).

Brian Jacques was my first favorite author.  I devoured Redwall books in my early teens.  RIP you brilliant, brilliant man :(

I have always wanted to read the WoT books, as I've heard such great things about that series.  Brandon Sanderson has also been on my reading list for quite some time!  There are so many great books that I collect, usually more quickly than I can ever actually consume them! lol I have read some Orson Scott Card; those books are pretty classic from my childhood.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Mobats on September 10, 2012, 09:30:52 PM
If you all like WWII books (this one is fiction) I highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society I love it so much have had to buy a second copy because the first one fell apart.

Thanks for the recommendation! I haven't read much in the way of WWII fiction, but I have heard some great reviews from things in this genre.  I have some friends who are into alternate history fiction.  Harry Turtledove I believe is one of the authors I've heard of that writes in that genre, mostly with Sci-Fi elements thrown in. 

Thanks again for the recommendation, I'll definitely have to check those ones out!

PuckThePlayful

Wow, so many authors, and books I haven't read yet. So many to try. I'm glad I popped in here, not that I really need to add anything to my reading queue.

Since discovering his work, one of my favorites has to be H P Lovecaft. He and his contemporaries built an incredible word of dark gods and horrors man was not meant to know, and so far has been one of the only authors to give me nightmares. I've read a little Steven King, and a little of Dean Koontz work, but not as much as I'd like yet. It always seems there are too many books, and never enough time.

Lately, I've actually been reading classic science fiction. Going back to Jules Verne and HG Wells. I've also been really enjoying Asimov's work, specifically the Foundation trilogy. I haven't started reading the iRobot stories yet, but they are on the list. Heinlein is another one I'd like to get into, but haven't yet.
"If we shadows have offended,
Think but this, and all is mended,
That you have but slumbered here
While these visions did appear."

—The opening of Puck's epilogue.

finewine

If you like dragons,  Anne McCaffey's  Dragonriders of Pern series is excellent.

[tr][td]
O&O[/td]
[td]A&A[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td]
"There is always some madness in love,
 but also some reason in madness...
That which is done out of love
takes place beyond good and evil."
 -Friedrich Nietzsche
[/td][/tr][/table]

Shire Wolfe

Right, since I'm a huge bibliophile, I figure I should make my mark here...

Anything by Dan Abnett is golden. Just utterly golden. Be it his Horus Heresy work, Gaunt's Ghosts, Eisenhorn, Ravenor, or his new Bequin trilogy. Though he works mostly in Science Fiction right now, and has even written a Doctor Who novel!

The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan. Any Fantasy series that can strech for 13+ books and still captivate you is worth a look!

Dragonlance. It's one of the Fantasy classics! A must-read for anyone that likes fantasy and D&D.

The Deeds of Paksenarrion, by Elizabeth Moon. Three novels, but extremely well written, with a fantastic main character that draws you into the world of medieval mercenaries in a fantasy setting. A genuine page-turner.

The Night's Dawn Trilogy, by Peter F. Hamilton. And we're back in Sci-Fi country. This trilogy is very well written and exceedingly creative, and shows you just how weird human culture can become. But it's an adult's only series, as it shows sexual scenes between men and women, and hints at a bit of transexual as well, but nothing overt. It's also got some faintly disturbing themes at times, but it's a brilliant and quite fun series.

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. The Bible of the Fantasy lover. He created the modern Fantasy genre as we know it. He defined the Elves, Dwarves, and Halflings/Hobbits, as well as Orcs and Trolls, and told us just how wonderful the Medieval fantasy universe can be! A must-read for, well, anyone. The Fellowship of the Ring was the first novel I ever read, at the age of 12. And I've re-read the entire trilogy once a year.

Dune, by Frank Herbert. Sci-Fi's equivalent of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. THE greatest Science Fiction series ever, (in my opinion of course), and all of it without even a single alien! It's a great novel, and a wonderful series. Political intrigue, plots within plots within plots, mystery, awe, and wonders.

I'll post here again when I can remember some more and taken a look at my library.
My O/O List.              A Wolf's ideas.