What should I run for y'all?

Started by Rook Seidhr, April 03, 2015, 04:09:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook Seidhr

If I were dumb, if I were dumber than suet and a glutton for punishment and felt like putting my hand on the stove burner and/or trying to run a forum game again after all the times I've failed and disappointed myself and my players, what would you lovely lovely Elliquians like to play? Because I have the itch, I do. I want to run something on the forum.

There would be a system, or at least the outlines of one—I don't like total freeforms. There would be a plot, or at least some nudges in the direction of a plot—I don't like total sandboxes. There would not be a lot of smut, I'm afraid; those games can be fun but are not what I'm good at running.

FYI and IMO, of the options above, #1 requires the most setting knowledge, #2 the least. #5 has the most complex system, #1 the least.

I've set the poll to allow you to change your votes and to vote for any or all of the options. That way, you can ask questions in the thread and go back and revise your vote based on the answers. And of course, if you've got another option you're dying to see, feel free to mention it in the thread; I probably won't take you up on it but maybe someone else will see it and be inspired.

wander

Outside what I mentioned as a Maybe for Trav as FATE in the SB, Riv... I've placed a vote in for both GMC and V:tR 2nd edition... I do love me some nwod.

RubySlippers

Vampire 20th Anniversary Edition - Sabbat Game

Muse

I know full well with vampire options up there, there's no hope for anything else, but I love the way you've been doing Mage for me in Skype, and I'd adore some more of it. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Muse on April 03, 2015, 07:26:34 PM
  I know full well with vampire options up there, there's no hope for anything else, but I love the way you've been doing Mage for me in Skype, and I'd adore some more of it.
*blush* Thank you…

VonDoom

I'd also say Mage.

Of course, o/cWoD-wise, what I really would like a chance to try is KotE, but that's not an option.  ;D
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: VonDoom on April 04, 2015, 02:05:49 AM
Of course, o/cWoD-wise, what I really would like a chance to try is KotE, but that's not an option.  ;D
If someone else wants to run it, I'll jump on it too, but I don't feel up to the task—I have too much respect for the cultures in question to run without an assload of research that I don't have time or stamina for. I think KotE really demands an ST who's happy to just butcher things and claim it's all in fun…

VonDoom

Aye, sadly, that's a pretty wide-spread notion about it, hence why I've basically given up on ever actually getting to play, never mind finding a good group.

Also, I am a huge fan of Fate (though I still haven't played it in actual practice), but I don't know the Traveller universe.

O&O

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: VonDoom on April 04, 2015, 04:26:33 AM
Also, I am a huge fan of Fate (though I still haven't played it in actual practice), but I don't know the Traveller universe.
There are ways around that—start on a planet with very little offworld contact, for instance, and have your character work passage to get offworld—but it is a learning curve.

Caehlim

Never got into GMC, vampire's not really my game and I don't know FATE so I put a vote down with Mage: Ascension.

Though it's going to twist my brain a little to go back to that old cosmology after learning Awakening.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Caehlim on April 04, 2015, 04:44:09 AM
Though it's going to twist my brain a little to go back to that old cosmology after learning Awakening.
If I thought Awakening 2.0 were going to come out before 2018 I'd put it up there too, but it's been "in open development" forever and I've lost hope.

Anyway have you read the Mage Conversion Guide? Really puts the difference in cosmologies into perspective.

Caehlim

Quote from: Riveda on April 04, 2015, 04:46:52 AMIf I thought Awakening 2.0 were going to come out before 2018 I'd put it up there too, but it's been "in open development" forever and I've lost hope.

Yeah, I've got no real expectations to see that any time soon. Lately I've been working on my own house-rules to fix up some of the problems with the nWoD mage system, although that's a task and a half.

QuoteAnyway have you read the Mage Conversion Guide? Really puts the difference in cosmologies into perspective.

Nope, it's the only Mage book I haven't read. By the time we started playing Awakening we didn't have any existing Chronicles so it started as a brand new one. Unfortunately nWoD has a bad habit of deleting my oWoD setting-lore from my brain so I don't remember Ascension's setting as well anymore. From a broad-strokes they're quite similar but getting down into the nitty-gritty and philosophy (as mage somewhat invites) they're actually very different in the fine details in my opinion.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Caehlim on April 04, 2015, 05:05:44 AM
getting down into the nitty-gritty and philosophy (as mage somewhat invites)
Yeah, if you're not trying to unscrew the inscrutable you're not playing Mage…

Quote from: Caehlim on April 04, 2015, 05:05:44 AM
they're actually very different in the fine details in my opinion.
Agreed 100%.

wander

I'm not an old world of darkness player (though I will be looking into Wraith 20 when it comes out), though I thought I'd let you know that Mage 20 should be coming out pretty soon (along with Vampire 20: Dark Ages).

As far as Mage 2nd edition is concerned, it's not reached a second draft with the devs (Promethean 2nd edition has, is in development and in all likelihood will be out before Mage 2nd edition.)

Rook Seidhr

@wander, I know—I follow the weekly status updates from Onyx Path.

I backed Wr20 at some obscene level to get the deluxe edition. I'm a massive Wraith fan from way back—I have every single Wraith book in hard copy format, some more than one copy. It is, in the words of the great bard, the shizzle.

VonDoom

I backed M20 and Wraith 20 deluxe, greatly anticipating both of them. The only one so far I didn't back was Werewolf W20.

Honestly, part of why I like KotE so much is that it has all the things I love about Mage, Wraith and Vampire in one bundle. ;D The otherworldliness, spirit-dealing and 'advancement through insight' of Mage (and Werewolf, I suppose, but my go-to is Mage), the Shadowlands and ShadowP'o of Wraith and the ancient hierarchies, intrigue-spinning and predatory cast of Vampire. All neatly spun into a Kuei-jin package, provided one can overlook the blatant orientalism and historical/cultural inaccuracies.

O&O

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: VonDoom on April 04, 2015, 06:29:57 AM
All neatly spun into a Kuei-jin package, provided one can overlook the blatant orientalism and historical/cultural inaccuracies.
That's like avoiding any Imperial entanglements: it is the trick, isn't it?

wander

Quote from: Riveda on April 04, 2015, 06:18:48 AM
@wander, I know—I follow the weekly status updates from Onyx Path.

I backed Wr20 at some obscene level to get the deluxe edition. I'm a massive Wraith fan from way back—I have every single Wraith book in hard copy format, some more than one copy. It is, in the words of the great bard, the shizzle.

When Wr20 does arrive and if I have the cash by then to get it, I'd be up for playing, very much so.

Rook Seidhr

That is one game that might not adapt well to forum play—I'm thinking of Shadowguiding in particular. What happens if the Psyche player posts much more or much less frequently than the Shadow player?

wander

I'm thinking whilst it may be more work, that the GM could play as the Shadows?

Also, I see how it would work better as a solo game... Each player plays their Psyche as normal, then their partner plays the Shadow, so in a solo game, each of the two players has two characters.

Muse

Probably off topic, but since people are following the release of the 20th anniversary editions, any news on Changeling? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rook Seidhr

C20 doesn't seem to be on this year's schedule.

wander

I'm honestly more eager for Changeling:the Lost 2nd edition, which I expect may see release, if the others aren't delayed, next year some time. :)

Rook Seidhr

C:tL 2e is in redlines. I'd bet on it being out by the end of 2015, because unlike M:tAw 2e, they aren't doing Open Dev.

Open Dev is an excuse for yammerheads on the forums to fuck everything up for the rest of us.

Kythia

Nobilis!

I recognise that's not an option, this is what you call a "write in" vote.  I also recognise you've explicitly stated in as many words that you're not going to run Nobilis for me, this is what you call a "direct order"