Welcome Aboard the Moaning Molly! (Last Call for Crew! IC Starting Next Week!)

Started by Capone, August 30, 2015, 10:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eightxinfinity

Ons/Offs and my poorly maintained idea thread

Rel Mayer

Chulanowa

I know what I want, I just can't find a picture for it! It's impossible to find "soft"-looking fantasy males that aren't bishi anime crap. -flails-

Capone

Quote from: eightxinfinity on September 09, 2015, 11:36:01 AM
Males needed eh? How about a surly half-orc ship's cook?

I'll have to think on the orc half of that since they aren't like standard D&D orcs in this setting. However, I hadn't even considered having a cook on board. Technically I'm not sure you would have a cook, but I love the idea of a typically tough character type being something so different. I'll PM you when I'm done work to bounce some ideas around.
Quote from: Chulanowa on September 09, 2015, 12:44:22 PM
I know what I want, I just can't find a picture for it! It's impossible to find "soft"-looking fantasy males that aren't bishi anime crap. -flails-

I know this feel. If need be, feel free to use a non-fantasy face claim. This goes for everyone. We can always describe outfits or link images to clothing.

TheScarletBlade

So just to clear up a personal confusion of mine, Gnomes are the primary experts in technology, not the dwarves?
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Capone

Yes. They are on the cutting edge. However, Dwarves still excel at things like architecture, and are likely crafting more "commercial" items used day to day. Think of gnomes as a larger contractor such as Lockheed Martin, or the company that makes all the equipment all the other companies use. Unless it's being sold onto the black market, your average person is likely not touching anything crafted by gnomes in their day to day activities.

TheScarletBlade

Well I was curious about maybe filling the role of the person who like tinkers on the ship. Thought a mad dwarven engineer and blacksmith would fit the role but maybe a gnome would be better, though never really liked gnomes.
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Capone

Dwarf would be fine. Remember, there are always exceptions to rules. Also, gnomes are not a playable race for reasons that shall remain seeeeeecret.

EDIT: Let this tonally suitable music fuel your character creation processes*!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU4rXB1I2PY

*Let's completely ignore the fact that the song's actual meaning doesn't fit the game at all!

TheScarletBlade

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Alias

took  a while to find the right picture. I think I got it though. :)
*considers switching to a face-claim for more options when posting, decides to go with what she found, it took two days*

edit: Does Roderick's Captain duty include piloting? or does the moaning molly not need a real "pilot" because it's sentient. And! If there is no pilot... What kind of role on the ship would replace that role...?

Rel Mayer

I'm claiming the linguistics/old language girl!!!

Now that I actually have an idea of my character. I'm just setting that down now and refusing to drop it... even if it's hot!

mia h

Quote from: Alias on September 10, 2015, 10:50:41 AM
took  a while to find the right picture. I think I got it though. :)
*considers switching to a face-claim for more options when posting, decides to go with what she found, it took two days*

edit: Does Roderick's Captain duty include piloting? or does the moaning molly not need a real "pilot" because it's sentient. And! If there is no pilot... What kind of role on the ship would replace that role...?

There is definitely a pilot\helmsman\navigator onboard; even if they are there partly for show. If people knew Molly was sentient than she'd never get any business, so paying someone to do the job might seem unnecessary but it does mean Molly and the crew get paid. For the most part Molly would leave a competent pilot\helmsman to get on with things but still keep an eye out and step in if necessary, or occasionally the pilot might find flying a little bit easier than it should be as Molly is helping out.

Quote from: Alias on September 10, 2015, 10:50:41 AM
does the moaning molly not need a real "pilot" because it's sentient.
Calling Molly an "it" is a quick way to find yourself overboard  :P
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Capone

Currently EtherealGirl is covering role of Navigation, which would be done on an old fashioned wheel with additional levers for y-axis manueverability.

She and Roderick would likely swap places on occasion.

If EtherealGirl chooses another role to take, then Navigator would open up.

Etherealgirl

Alias

Quote from: mia h on September 10, 2015, 11:51:45 AM
There is definitely a pilot\helmsman\navigator onboard; even if they are there partly for show. If people knew Molly was sentient than she'd never get any business, so paying someone to do the job might seem unnecessary but it does mean Molly and the crew get paid. For the most part Molly would leave a competent pilot\helmsman to get on with things but still keep an eye out and step in if necessary, or occasionally the pilot might find flying a little bit easier than it should be as Molly is helping out.
Calling Molly an "it" is a quick way to find yourself overboard  :P
good call. Still adjusting to the idea of a living ship. :)
Quote from: Capone on September 10, 2015, 01:35:50 PM
Currently EtherealGirl is covering role of Navigation, which would be done on an old fashioned wheel with additional levers for y-axis manueverability.

She and Roderick would likely swap places on occasion.

If EtherealGirl chooses another role to take, then Navigator would open up.
Quote from: Etherealgirl on September 10, 2015, 01:36:36 PM
Pachooooow! Levers and knobs and wheels! WHOOO!
Navigator is taken, got it. I have back up plans.

xx
loves, Alias

Capone

Crash

Quote from: CarnivalOfTheGoat on September 05, 2015, 02:01:14 AM

EDIT: It is all but impossible to find images of non-nasty harpies, much less ones with Victorian/Georgian/Edwardian/steampunkish couture.

I think this one is pretty good.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Alias

I'm having trouble thinking of a role on the ship. My back-up plans weren't as good as I thought they were. Just noting, taking some time to put together a CS that I'm happy with.

Chreestafer

I am still holding interest in this, just haven't had the time to write something up.  I'm going to do some mercenary for hire / muscle at the moment.  Deciding either human or dragonborn though.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

eightxinfinity

Quote from: Capone on September 09, 2015, 01:16:29 PM
I'll have to think on the orc half of that since they aren't like standard D&D orcs in this setting. However, I hadn't even considered having a cook on board. Technically I'm not sure you would have a cook, but I love the idea of a typically tough character type being something so different. I'll PM you when I'm done work to bounce some ideas around.

So sounds like maybe not a half orc? I'm fine with changing to a human or something different as need be, but I'd still love the opportunity to be the ship's cook if possible.
Ons/Offs and my poorly maintained idea thread

mia h

If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Capone

Alias, feel free to PM your ideas to me and Mia H. We could always help you brainstorm.

Chreestafer, you may need to PM me to specify dragonborn and see if we can come up with something fitting.

Eightxinfinity, shoot, I meant to PM you. Ship's cook will be fine. I'm planning on putting together a layout of the airship this weekend and will be including a kitchen. No idea how a kitchen on a boat works but then again a sentient airship h is a bit out of my logic zone as well. Gnomes did it. Problem solved.

I'll provide much better answers tonight when I'm at my keyboard proper.

Etherealgirl

*wants to play!* If anyone wants to brain storm connections, or RP ideas with my character, let me know! :D