Ok...so here is the thing...

Started by shii, November 06, 2011, 10:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shii

I noticed it is hard as heck to start a RP around here. What is the deal? I feel like it is almost forbiden to start a RP or something. Look I am new and all but come on it is not this hard. I just want to RP and have a good time. I can't even find any RPs that I like. And there are not very many new RPs. I don't get it. Is there a hand shake, a password? Did I miss something?

Caeli

Is there something specific that you're looking for, or rather, a specific problem that you're having?

The lack of responses to your group roleplay might well be because it is the weekend; weekends tend to be slow.

However, irregardless of your specific ideas, sometimes there are lulls on the forum itself, or in the people who show interest in / pick up roleplay requests. One idea will have no responses during one week, but posted five weeks later, there will be dozens of inquiries about a roleplay.

Also, your mentors might be able to offer some advice more specific to your problem if you ask them. :)

If you're okay with mentioning what kind of trouble or what kind of frustrations you have here, you can alternately note them in this thread, and other members will bring you their thoughts, insights, and suggestions.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Saerrael

It is also November, the month when a lot of writers participate in NaNo.

I looked at when you posted your group game by the way, shii and I'm wondering if you meant that, because it hasn't been up for all too long. I saw it was posted today.

shii

Thank you Caeli. It is good to know about the weekend thing. And I will try re posting some ideas. It is a bit like fishing isn't it. Lol! Well I just can't seem to find what I like, mostly NC dom/sub stuff.

NaNo? What is that? And no I have posted other things in the past but it just did not take off. So I took it down. Maybe I am just not useto the slow pace.

Caeli

NaNo is National Novel Writing Month. Quite a number of active members on Elliquiy participate in it; you can find the discussion here, though the site for the activity is here. If you want a quick summary of what it is...

Click me!
NaNo in a Nutshell

What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month’s time.

Who: You! We can’t do this unless we have some other people trying it as well. Let’s write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together.

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era’s most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: You can sign up anytime to add your name to the roster and browse the forums. Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight. Once your novel has been verified by our web-based team of robotic word counters, the partying begins.

Where: You write wherever you’d like. On your computer, on your iPad, on a typewriter—anywhere is fine, just as long as you’re writing! For a more in-depth NaNoWriMo overview, visit the devilishly handsome “What is NaNoWriMo?“and “How NaNoWriMo Works” pages.

As far as finding takers for your ideas... it's a combination of timing, luck, patience, and doing some legwork yourself. Timing, because of what I've already mentioned (simply the ebbs and flows of people looking for new roleplays at any given moment); luck, because sometimes it's just a matter of your thread having the right title and right content, finding someone who was looking for that kind of content; patience, because Elliquiy itself has a slower pace than some other sites that I've roleplayed on in the past (like GaiaOnline); and legwork, because there are times when you really need to just go out and find partners yourself.

I highly recommend browsing the Ons and Offs of Lords, Ladies, and Lieges (try going to those forums, and then making a search using the term of a specific fetish; alternately, simply browse through the most recently created and updated threads) to see if there's anyone who catches your interest. Make friends by socializing - often, this is how I would find partners. :) Link to your request thread(s) in your signature; that way, when you socialize in the forums, interested individuals can easily find your request thread.

Also, never delete your request threads! You never know when someone might stumble on it, no matter how old it is. Also, you can bump it (within reason) if there are no takers after a given amount of time.

There will be slow times, though, and this might well be one of them. I hope you won't be too frustrated with the fruitless search so far, though - sometimes, it really is just a matter of timing and luck.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Beguile's Mistress

One thing I would like to add is to keep a library of your current stories and past stories, too, in a post in your O/O thread.  It gives anyone checking an easy way to see samples of your writing.

Flower

I wholeheartedly agree with the suggestions here to find partners. I know that I started stories with a few people I met through the Adult Socializing forum after something sparked between another person and I which lead to discussion of a possible plots through pms. It's a good place to met new people, and there is a possibility that perhaps you might start something lovely with one of the members you meet there.

I hope things speed up for you :)

Story Tale

Also, click the players tab at the top of the page. It is a quick link to active members looking for roleplay. Look over their offs and ons to see if you are compatible, then send them a message suggesting your story ideas and an invitation to plot on of those, or maybe to discuss a story idea they have. Good luck. :)

Elina

One thing I said to people when I was a mentor is that you should always put your best foot forward.  Whether you're in a social thread, a RP thread or a request thread, still spellcheck and use proper capitalization.  Also make sure you spell out any words instead of using chatspeak, as it is frowned upon on Elliquiy.  Many people on E will look at recent posts and consider those things when choosing a partner.  (I don't mean this as a commentary on your posts, shii, as I haven't read them.  I mean this only generally to help anyone having the same issue as you.)

Haibane

One of the first things I did when I joined was look through the group games requests thread and asked to join a game. Even though it wasn't 100% what I would have freely chosen, it interested me enough to turn into one of the longest running RPs I have ever done here and put me in touch with some great people and through them, other people. Once the branches of your network begin to sprout, you will gather a circle of friends and you're off.

The first group game I proposed was a total failure but I tried again later and I have since had several quite successful ones.

I was also contacted by a number of people in response to my O/O thread so I would definitely suggest creating one of those. Take a look at other people's threads in that forum to be inspired by some layouts and content.

JackWhite

The doormat at Introductions is an other good way to get to know other newcomers and become friends.

shii

Thanks everyone! I will try some of the things you guys suggested. it's just that I am kind of extreme sometimes and it can be hard to find anyone who is as well. I think it might be a generation gap thing. *sadness*

Oreo

Ahhhh, in that case, Shii you might want to focus on the Extreme Solo forum and see who is playing there. It would narrow your search.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin