News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

[GURPS 4e] Prisoners of the Storm (LAUNCHED)

Started by Wintercat, February 21, 2012, 01:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Are there any serious heavyweights in play?  I might just yank concepts out of the Dungeon Fantasy books and make a half-ogre bruiser type or similar.  GURPS magic is cool but I don't have the patience for it just now.

PeacethatPowerbrings

My character is meant to fit into that category, yeah.
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Jefepato

Are there any real niches that still exist here that don't involve magic?  I'm sure we could differentiate our characters somehow, PeacethatPowerbrings, but I don't really know where you're going with this.

ExisD

I made a pretty heavyweight character, though she doesn't look it. Heavy armor and a pole-arm for a weapon. The plod forward soaking hits and smacking back harder type.

I don't think we have any long ranged types right now.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Hey, I'm not saying you can't do something in the same category. Just answering the question. I went for a kind of Orc variant, but of the heavyweight barbarian bruiser giant variety.

PeacethatPowerbrings

Valdar Orkkag

Valdar Orkkag

A member of an Orc race of semi-nomadic warriors. Having lost his tribe in the warfare with another Orc tribe, Valdar became a mercenary. Being mostly typical of his race, he is physically powerful, but unintelligent by human standards. He enjoys combat, warfare, and lives of the spoils of combat.

Character Sheet

Muse

The illustration and character sheet aren't showing, Peace. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

PeacethatPowerbrings

Ia!

Here's my character, an oracle on a mission of vengeance.

Background
Nessra Abden's father lost the use of his hand to a moment of carelessness in his silversmith's shop when the girl was only six years old.  The hand was healed and its full use and strength restored by members of the Sisterhood of the Seven Stars.  A year later, in payment, Nessra was given to the Sisterhood.

The Sisterhood of the Seven Stars is a reclusive order of oracles and enchantresses, all female.  They tend to form communities in out-of-the-way places: secluded valleys, desert plateaus, and mist-shrouded islands.  It was to just such an island, named Aesci, that the young Nessra was taken to begin her service to the Sisterhood as a novice. 

The Sisterhood protects and utilizes a series of arcane mysteries and ancient wisdom.  They make alliance with none, and while they will share their powers and knowledge with others, it is always for a price.  Sisterhood communities are often served by males of various ages who have been enslaved (by magic, it is said) in order to pay their debts to the Sisterhood.  While Sisters are not openly persecuted, it is said they are enchantresses who will steal a man's heart if he's not careful, and tend to be shrewd bargainers.  For this reason, those who bear the silver-blue mark of seven stars upon their brow are rarely trusted. 

Nessra proved quite skilled at dance and meditation, and was soon inducted into the Revelations of the Neophyte and then the Lesser Mysteries.  She was taken under the wing of a skilled oracle named Morvana who was herself the protege of the island's matriarch.

Unfortunately, just as Nessra was to be initiated through the Lore of Shadows, a band of thieves broke into the community's sanctuary and stole the Eye of Fire, an opal the size of a man's fist that was used for various auguries and divinations.  The Council of Seers deposed the Matriarch for allowing such a thing to happen, and she and Morvana were banished from the island as their rivals used the disaster to claim positions of power. 

Only one of the thieves managed to escape the island.  Nessra vowed to track him down and slay him.  The new Matriarch was happy to enforce that vow, as she did not trust Nessra and knew the thief was fleeing to the Great Isles.  Surely Nessra would never return from those cursed waters, even if she did succeed in her mission...

Character Sheet
Nessra Abden, Initiate of the Sisterhood of the Seven Stars

Human Female
Height: 5'8”
Weight: 130
Size: +0
Hair: black, with a hint of a wave to it, past her shoulders.
Eyes: blue
Identifying marks: the seven small, silver stars of the Sisterhood magically tattooed on her brow.
Hand: right

ATTRIBUTES (130 pts)
ST: 9
DX: 12
IQ: 14
HT: 12

Will: 14
Fright Check: 14

Basic Speed: 6
Basic Move: 6

Perception 14

thr: 1-2
sw: 1d-1

Fatigue: 9
HP: 12

ADVANTAGES (42 pts)
Damage Resistance: 2
- magical enchantments of the Sisterhood
Magery 1
Night Vision 2
Oracle

DISADVANTAGES (-40 pts)
Sense of Duty
Sisterhood of the Seven Stars: -10
Social Stigma
Sisterhood of the Seven Stars (-2 reaction): -5
Vow
- to slay the last remaining thief of the Eye of Fire: -15
Wealth
Struggling (starting wealth is 0.5 of average): -10

SKILLS (52)
Astronomy: 12
Mathematics (Applied): 12
Body Language: 14
Crossbow: 12
Dancing: 12
Herb Lore: 14
Hypnotism: 15
Literature: 12
Meditation: 12
Naturalist (Earthlike): 12
Navigation (land): 13
Navigation (sea) 13
Occultism: 13
Psychology: 12
Stealth: 12
Survival (Woodlands):13
Survival (Salt-water Sea): 13
Swimming: 12
Spear: 12
Spear Thrower: 11
Knife: 12
Pharmacy 14
Esoteric Medicine: 13
Diagnosis: 13

SPELLS (16 pts.)
Daze: 13
Foolishness: 13
Lend Energy: 13
Lend Vitality: 13
Mass Daze: 15
Minor Healing: 15
Sleep: 15

EQUIPMENT
long knife
spear
crossbow
- 12 bolts

backpack, small
personal basics
2 torches
first aid kit
whetstone

hip quiver

chemise, white linen
robe, blue wool
leather sandals
broad leather belt
belt pouch

$605

Still the world is wondrous large,—seven seas from marge to marge—
And it holds a vast of various kinds of man;
And the wildest dreams of Kew are the facts of Khatmandhu
And the crimes of Clapham chaste in Martaban.

Ia On!  Ia Off!

ExisD

Muse

*chuckles*  Awesome, Ia!.  Perhaps we'll have a bit of a polite rivalry.  I can see Mandy seeing your order as elitists who let the world suffer to preserve their profits. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ia!

Muse, absolutely.  She'd hardly be the first to think that.  And for her part, Nessra's might think your Mandy is all torch-the-village-and-ask-questions-later.  ;)

Ia On!  Ia Off!

Jefepato

Oh, I know how I'll find a proper niche...unarmed combat.

Excuse me, I need a moment with the Martial Arts book.

Wintercat

No real worries, I'm looking forward to giving this a shot but there's no real established time table to things, so don't worry about it too much. I'm looking forward to this and the tale that can be shared.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Jefepato

I've got most of my character set up but I still need to buy most of my skills and figure out what I'm doing DR-wise.

It's expensive to do the unarmed combat thing well, but it should be amusing at least.  (If anyone else has the Martial Arts book, can you tell me what the point of the Style Familiarity perk is?  It hardly seems relevant for characters who already have Trained By A Master.)

ExisD

Style Familiarity is basically a less powerful version of Trained by Master. The relevance of it is mainly to potentially reduce penalties if you do have both.

Jefepato

Quote from: ExisD on March 05, 2012, 04:00:39 AM
Style Familiarity is basically a less powerful version of Trained by Master. The relevance of it is mainly to potentially reduce penalties if you do have both.

That doesn't seem terribly impressive, but then, it's only 1 point.  I might go with Krav Maga here.

(Not literally Krav Maga, because presumably my fantasy half-ogre dude is not in the Israeli military, but something basically equivalent.  It seems the sort of style an adventurer would use.)

ExisD

Depending on the training going with the Ultimate Style might also fit. It's on page 144 of the martial arts books.

Wintercat

Alright, looks like things are about ready, I will get a starting post on-line this weekend, planned to do it earlier but had some real life business to take care of. On that note, I'll be posting a the link here when the game starts. Do people think a separate OOC thread would be good to have ? Its usefulness seems to have been varied in past games.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

ExisD

I think it would be a good idea for questions and clarifications if nothing else. I've found that it's kind of crazy to use all of the rules that are available for GURPS, especially all of advanced combat. An OOC thread would be a good place for questions rather than group PMs.

Ia!

I agree with ExisD.  Having a spot to clear up rules-clarifications and setting info that's easily searchable by folks entering the game later is probably a good thing.

Ia On!  Ia Off!

Jefepato

Quote from: ExisD on March 05, 2012, 10:40:24 PM
Depending on the training going with the Ultimate Style might also fit. It's on page 144 of the martial arts books.

You're probably right -- if nobody else is doing the unarmed combat thing, there's really no reason not to go full-tilt on the Ultimate Style business.  It doesn't really cost much to buy in, although Judo, Sumo Wrestling, and Wrestling have some redundant bits.

Wintercat

Game Thread has been posted, OOC is coming up and link will be here shortly. I considered a few options for a start but settled for this one. The descriptions of the surroundings are brief so feel free to ask for more of those if you like, or if you prefer me not being too wordly on all of it, let me know that as well.

Nonetheless, game is a Go.

OOC thread is now also available.
A&A