News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dashenka

Belgium is disappointing so far.... Really, really disappointing.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Deamonbane

More people will be watching a Brazil game at 4 o'clock, I guess....

And yes... they haven't been doing too well, have they?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

I have to say that Brooks' reaction to his game-winning header last night was second only to the Colombian victory dance:

Remiel

Group H: Belgium vs. Algeria

Once again, the first team to score was the team that ended up losing the game.  I think that if I was a coach, I would tell my team "don't score in the first half unless the other team scores first."

The Better Team Was... Belgium.  They took a long time to warm up, but then they took off, keeping possession 66% of the time and taking 17 shots to Algeria's 3.  The substitutions made all the difference here.

Man of the Match: Marouane Fellaini (BEL)

Dashenka

Feghouli is Algerian not Belgium my dear Watson...

Remiel

Quote from: Dashenka on June 17, 2014, 01:38:55 PM
Feghouli is Algerian not Belgium my dear Watson...

You're right.  I got my names mixed up.  :-[

Dashenka

I thought you meant Fellaini :D

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Holy crap, this is a scrappy, physical game.  You can tell that both Brasil and Mexico each want to win very badly.

Deamonbane

Ochoa saved their skins a couple of times there...

Trafalgar

Fifty quid on Mexico to score first, I really regret it right now.
Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!

pleaseteaseme

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 17, 2014, 03:00:37 PM

Similar to the Brazil v Croatia game in many ways, just today Brazil have found a keeper in form against them, rather than one having a bad game.

Phobetor

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 17, 2014, 03:00:37 PM

A couple times? Lol thank god for Ochoa cause if not, things could would have turned out waaaaay differently. :)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Dashenka

Rossiya!!!

:-[

Finally it's our turn :D

Remiel

Group A: Brazil vs. Mexico

The Better Team Was...  Dare I say it?  A draw.  On paper, Brazil should have mopped the floor with Mexico.  In practice, Mexico proved to be a scrappy opponent which made Neymar & co. work for every opportunity.  This is definitely not the same Mexico that struggled so much in CONCACAF qualifying.  Could Herrera have made that much of a difference?

Man of the Match: Guillermo Ochoa (MEX) with some truly world-class goalkeeping. 

Finally, we get to see Russia play.  I have to say I'm looking forward to watching them in action.

Dashenka

Bit worried that Capello didn't select Dzagoev and Kherzhakov in the first 11...

Deamonbane

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 17, 2014, 04:12:29 PM
A couple times? Lol thank god for Ochoa cause if not, things could would have turned out waaaaay differently. :)
I really hate that guy...

Dashenka

Well I hate to say it but.... I told you Kerzhakov and Dzagoev would be better.

Think a draw was a likely outcome. Very evenly matches teams and a pretty horrendous mistake by Igor :D

Remiel

Group F: Russia vs. South Korea

The Better Team Was...  Neither team really impressed me.  Both had some shots on goal, and shared possession equally.  I did think Russia came out better in the second half, partly due to their substitutes.   

Man of the Match: Aleksandr Kerzhakov (RUS) for the tying goal which saved goalkeeper Igor Akinfeev the indignity of handing the South Koreans the win.

After seeing all 32 teams play, I have to say that if things continue in this fashion, we're likely to see a Netherlands-Germany final.   I was impressed by the CONCACAF teams, particularly Mexico and Costa Rica, and decidedly unimpressed by Uruguay and Spain.  Italy and France seem to have completely forgotten their 2010 disasters, while Argentina and Brazil seem competent but worrying.   

I don't think the United States will win any more games, but you never know.  Fingers crossed!

kylie

Been on the road and missed a lot...  But finally caught at least the US-Ghana match.

Neither side impressed me all that much with their overall setups for offense.  Both wasted some corners pretty well, too...  The Chinese commentary even kept saying it was a slow-moving game.  ::) 

The burst attacks were fairly good.  I did like how the US at least used the wings -- both sides were actually pretty good at switching the ball around.  Ghana would have been dangerous if they could have brought the shots to the moon a bit lower.  Howard did very well in goal, especially with charging out at difficult moments in the first half.  And Boye, for some reason, just had a horrible day. He looked just misplaced (though maybe just unfortunate) in so many important moments.

I thought Ghana deserved a couple obstruction calls against it, though that is how they play...  Happy more people didn't get hugely injured than apparent, thinking of the last times I've seen them at World Cup.  Dempsey was just fuming a couple times at how much arm and body he was playing against.

Technically I doubt the US team will do that well if it gets to the big Euro competitors, but their defense did pretty well at least for the day and it was all fun to watch.

Remiel

That's true.  Our back 4 did play admirably, even if our midfield was nonexistent.

pleaseteaseme

Quote from: Remiel on June 18, 2014, 07:36:48 AM
That's true.  Our back 4 did play admirably, even if our midfield was nonexistent.

Jones was excellent for you I thought.

Phobetor

Taking a break from E.

Dashenka

They need a striker but they don't have any :)

Everybody knows this is how they will play because they can't do anything else...

Mind you Netherlands wasn't all that sparkling as it was to Spain...

Phobetor

Yeah Netherlands worried me for a minute there but at least they're not getting slaughtered like Spain >.<
Taking a break from E.