Non-canon Star Trek game - interest check

Started by RedEve, May 27, 2012, 05:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

I think it needs to be stressed that this was supposed to be a non-canon game. i realize a lot of people really get into the star trek info but if the game goes down that road Im going to get really turned off from it.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kate

B -

Dont fear, as far as i know it is a non-cannon game (my summary was not for the thread just a one page recall of all things star trek that I recall) , that summary stuff was for terminology only.

Its interesting enough for any fraction to be relevant.

Brandon

Alright, its just that Ive seen fans start to snipe eachother because of lack of knowledge in something entirely vague and meaningless like Andorian dinner ettiquette. It just made the game completely unfun and I want to avoid that at all costs
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Kate

Your cool B,

Your wants and hopes is more inline with what i think is what the original poster had in mind anyway.
(I think i was wrong on about 30 percent of what I wrote anyway ...)

I don;t think any here want to fight over such things at the loss of the actual thread context of fun / exploring as a group / being a team.

CAO

I agree with Kate here. All things said, the best reason to have a Non-Cannon Star Trek Thread is so we can write a good story and flex our muscles.

Kate

agreed :)

B - we are one with you, and I do hope you feel your one of us :)

Brandon

Im still here, I just felt like I needed to express my concerns. No big deal

Muse

It's a great capsule, Kate, easy to read and insightful.  The big thing you missed: 

Cross species kids actually do happen.  Mr. Spock from the original series was half human, half vulcan. 
In The Next Generation, Mr. Worf: a klingon raised by humans, had a love interest who was half kingon, half human, and they had a basically Klingon child, Alexander. 
Another Half Human, Half Klingon shows up in Voyager: Be'elana Tores. 
A Klingon planet occupied by Romulans was cut off from the Romulan empire for a generation or two, and a whole generation of hybrids resulted.  There's also at least one Cardasian/Bajoran hybrid resulting of from the Cardasian occupation of Bajor. 

That's probably a bit much information for a capsule introduction.  It does seem relatively easy to for hybrid children to happen, and be fertile themselves. 

That said, contraception in Star Trek is a monthly shot.  It's 100% effective if both parties have it, less so if only one. 

Genevieve, welcome to Elliquiy.  New games are cropping up all the time, a lot of them free form and based on a fandom.  If you'd like to apply to this one, Red Eve hasn't cut off the applications yet.  : )  She does have a big list of those she's received (accepted?) back a page or so. 

Aribeth, the only medical character we have is Brandon's genius.  I don't know how someone who was a doctor at 16 managed to join the fleet as a medical technician instead of a doctor, but we don't have a chief medical officer. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TyKing

Personally it doesn't matter to me if people don't know how to write a Star Trek character, I'd rather see people write a character in a Star Trek setting and have fun than knowing all the minutiae of the series. Having said that one would expect people to have some general knowledge of Star Trek and be open to learning more if participating in a Star Trek RP.

And if one's intent is to use an idea or object that is already established, then out of respect for the creators, one should at least spell the invention/idea correctly and be familiar with its general purpose. This has nothing to do with it being canon or non-canon, however it has everything to do with becomg a better writer.

CAO

Agreed on the last point entirely. The things we do take from the series should be role played for their intended purposes. Even as a Non-Canon thread, it'll provide continuity to the subject matter. Has anyone been working on any kind of a plot?

Kate

If its set after any series for even a few years
- a LOT can change in a few years ..

RedEve

Okay folks, does anyone have a suggestion for the ship we might use? :)
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Kate

can i pick / post a few that just look cool ? and you choose red ?

what may be sensbile is

a) Battleship less efficent but it has redundancy, ie if you loose your engines, you have another set and dont have to wait yrs for help if others cant get there). Ie good choose for space that is resource rich.
b) explorer class may be sensible as it has everything to be set to be super efficent (in case your in places resources for repairs are few and far between). Ie good choice for space that is resource poor.

But Im not a treky enough to know specific ship models, also you could make one up if its set in the future of any series.

CAO

I've been thinking about this for a while, and one of the things that occurred to me is that in the series they never used any "air craft carrier" type space ships in the fleet. In Voyager one of the characters created something called the Delta Flyer which was akin to modern fighter jets, what if we a ship, that was for Startleet experimental in design, but going back to the idea of Aire Craft carriers and had a crew of fighter pilots on board.

AribethAmkiir

Would that blur the lines too much with Battlestar, though?

Also, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a picture of a female Trill that wasn't Jadzia or Ezrie.  I was told there was a sight, once upon a time, where you could add the spots to pictures.  Anyone know of that?

CAO

I personally don't think it would, the idea is that they would just be re developing or reusing an old idea and fitting it for space. At it's core, it's still inherently Star Trek.

RedEve

Quote from: CAO on June 10, 2012, 10:26:06 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while, and one of the things that occurred to me is that in the series they never used any "air craft carrier" type space ships in the fleet. In Voyager one of the characters created something called the Delta Flyer which was akin to modern fighter jets, what if we a ship, that was for Startleet experimental in design, but going back to the idea of Aire Craft carriers and had a crew of fighter pilots on board.

That wouldn't really fit into the theme of exploration, imho. A ship like that would fit more naturally into a story set during a war.
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

Angel Fire

Hi there!  I just found this yesterday and i was wondering if there was a spot for a Counselor?  I have a Counselor character that I tried to play out here on E (once again...reasons behind that I will explain later) but unfortunately the story died for many reasons.

Anyhew, as far as a ship suggestion, I would say that it depends on how far out after DS9 everyone wishes for this to be set.  If it is around the "ST: Nemesis" era, than I would say a Sovereign class would be perfect... if you are looking way out in the future (say 25th Century), than an Odyssey class (depicted in "Star Trek Online") would work.
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.
May we spread our wings and soar the heavens together for all time - Angel
My Theme Song - Can I be your Heart's Desire?

Muse

Angel Fire, look at reply 69 for the latest information on received applications. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Angel Fire

*In LT Frank Drebin voice from "Police Squad* Nothing to see here.  Kindly walk away! *Airplanes crash and explode in the background as I speak*
Can you capture this fiery Angel and make her yours?!  Try before she slips away into the night... If you wish.

CAO

Quote from: RedEve on June 10, 2012, 04:35:24 PM
That wouldn't really fit into the theme of exploration, imho. A ship like that would fit more naturally into a story set during a war.

Well that's kind of the irony of  Star Trek, it's a blend of both military and exploration. I don't see why It can't be both. But at this point I would say we need to start shaping consensus on an actual direction. The best way is probably to decide our mission first, then choose a ship, then whatever else needs to be decided to start the thread.

AndyZ

As a suggestion, perhaps we were a military vessel originally with orders to explore if we end up too far away from Federation space, and we got knocked into a wormhole by some sort of experimental new weapon on the other side?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Angel Fire

Starfleet ships ARE military vessels no matter what.... which is why all of the crew has military ranks.  Think of Starfleet ships as the Navy but in Outer Space.

I am thinking that Exploration is their primary mission anyways but if a battle comes, than they are under orders to help out in the fight.  The Borg battles and the Dominion War are very good prime examples of what I am talking about.

Kate

Ok,

The problem is that ships are romantic and facinating so many have strong views.

Red - you can't go wrong, any ship is fine.

I think choose one that looks cool, the captain was assigned it by star fleet
(only one they thought suitable for the task, high brass was tight lipped on why saying
"Only you will find out later when the time comes, well we hope you will", leaving an air of mystery if you want it.)

I think guys the BEST way we can help Red get us all going, please the trekies and those just wanting to role play anything vaguely like this... is you post a few links to pics she chooses what "feels right" looks right "right feel" by shape alone ... call the ship a new type of class (even though it has some simularities to previous designs), say its experimental, and something about the ship being assigned to the task was secret, even above what the captain knows (which annoys the captain no end, as she feel all may be used for something that doesnt feel right, ie not all is rosy as we leave, the departing celebrations hushed / non-existant, the selection process stranger than other ships.).

Well thats my view. But red just choose one many of the trekies can link you pics, they all look amazing.

Here are some ... but there are many many many more.

http://www.startrekonlineships.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/SIG_Ship.jpg-720x540.jpg

http://www.startrekonlineships.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/prometheus.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LQtZsmCAqAs/S79JWOIJmuI/AAAAAAAAC5M/JVpywvri-3g/s1600/hephaestus.jpg

http://www.suricatafx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/enterprisej31.jpg

http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2006/05/20/star_trek.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FndvYw_nC8c/TbsiaoQBaOI/AAAAAAAAAKo/rRPZxbH-jpY/s1600/enterprise.jpg

TyKing

CAO, the Akira Class ship has a whole deck dedicated as a flight deck with fighters and the whole shebang. It's the closest thing Star Trek has to an aircraft carrier.

I'm happy with any class of ship as long as it's not the Prometheus Class or its variant, the Haphaestus Class. Those ships have MVAM which split them into three sections. It's such a pain to write and keep everyone on the same page during Multi-Vector Assault Mode.

Angel Fire, RedEve requested that people PM her their character's bio. :)