Books you'd like to see made into movies..

Started by Callie Del Noire, June 23, 2012, 12:24:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

I just finished reading Feed by Mira Grant.. and aside from wanting to throw my ebook reader across the room about ONE thing.. I came away with a thought. THIS would be a good zombie movie

Anyone else read a book recently they KNOW could be a good book?

(FYI.. I'm waiting out for one of the 'prequels'.. a small Novella set in ComicCon 2014.. called. 'Last Stand of the California Browncoats')

jake one

I would love to see anyone of the dark hunter novles turned into a movie or maybe a tv seiries. Luckily i think they are making a tv seiries out of it.

Starlequin

Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash would be awesome on-screen. If for no other reason than to see Hiro ripping up the 'burbs in the Deliverator, or The Street in full, over the top CGI glory, lol.

I love Grant's Rising Trilogy, Callie. What had you so aggravated about Book 1?
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Heaven Sent Blossom

I want Hawkmoon made into a movie, or a tv series I guess. I know it probably wouldn't be great, but I don't care, still want to see it happen.

Silverfyre

"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.  It's begging to be made into a movie.

Izzie Aditi

The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I think it would be ridiculously difficult with the story in story concept, but when executed with care and with regards to the general atmosphere of the book...it would be an amazing movie.
“Redheads are said to be children of the moon, thwarted by the sun, and addicted to sex and sugar.”

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Starlequin on June 23, 2012, 01:06:52 PM
Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash would be awesome on-screen. If for no other reason than to see Hiro ripping up the 'burbs in the Deliverator, or The Street in full, over the top CGI glory, lol.

I love Grant's Rising Trilogy, Callie. What had you so aggravated about Book 1?

I think the movie rights have been optioned for Snow Crash like six times.. it's gone into development hell more times than spiderman before Sony got it right. .

As for what got me pissed about book 1?

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
George died.. I hate falling in love with a well spoken/written characters who die.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on June 23, 2012, 03:42:31 PM
I want Hawkmoon made into a movie, or a tv series I guess. I know it probably wouldn't be great, but I don't care, still want to see it happen.

Weren't there some Hawkmoon movies done in the 80s"?

Starlequin

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 23, 2012, 04:53:43 PM
I think the movie rights have been optioned for Snow Crash like six times.. it's gone into development hell more times than spiderman before Sony got it right. .

As for what got me pissed about book 1?

George died.. I hate falling in love with a well spoken/written characters who die.

*sigh* Yeah, I know. SC will probably never actually make it to the big screen. And honestly, that's probably a good thing. It'd probably end up in the hands of Michael Bay or something.

I'm guessing you haven't picked up Book 2 yet?
I thought the ending of Feed was heartbreaking, but wait until you finish Deadline...I was so happy I literally jumped out of my chair and fist-pumped like a maniac for a solid minute, lol.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 23, 2012, 04:54:50 PM
Weren't there some Hawkmoon movies done in the 80s"?

I can't recall any and a cursory search of imdb comes up negative, however I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right. And if you are then I would wrestle an angry wolverine in order to get to see them.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Starlequin on June 23, 2012, 05:10:57 PM
*sigh* Yeah, I know. SC will probably never actually make it to the big screen. And honestly, that's probably a good thing. It'd probably end up in the hands of Michael Bay or something.

I'm guessing you haven't picked up Book 2 yet?
I thought the ending of Feed was heartbreaking, but wait until you finish Deadline...I was so happy I literally jumped out of my chair and fist-pumped like a maniac for a solid minute, lol.

Star.. I read something upwards of 300 words a minute when I get cranked.. or I did last time I was tested on things not written in Cisco Engineer.. I finished the 2nd book about 2 hours after I posted the thread an I'm currenlty 56% done with the third.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Heaven Sent Blossom on June 23, 2012, 05:24:25 PM
I can't recall any and a cursory search of imdb comes up negative, however I wouldn't be at all surprised if you were right. And if you are then I would wrestle an angry wolverine in order to get to see them.

I wouldn't.. if I recall what I saw of them they were BAD.. as in 'first direct to video' bad... and only tangentially tied to the books.

Starlequin

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 23, 2012, 05:24:41 PM
Star.. I read something upwards of 300 words a minute when I get cranked.. or I did last time I was tested on things not written in Cisco Engineer.. I finished the 2nd book about 2 hours after I posted the thread an I'm currenlty 56% done with the third.

Haha, then you know what I'm talking about. I haven't been able to pick up Blackout yet though; I was actually going to buy it today, and the bookshop sold its last copy last week.  ::)

Okay, /hijack.

Saerrael

Robin Hobb
The Realm of the Elderlings series.
Though... I think even 16 movies would not go deep enough into the material. Perhaps a series would be nifty.

The Farseer Trilogy

The Farseer Trilogy follows the life of FitzChivalry Farseer (Fitz), a trained assassin, in a kingdom called The Six Duchies while his uncle, Prince Verity, attempts to wage war on the Red-Ship Raiders from The OutIslands who are attacking the shores of the kingdom by turning the people of the Six Duchies into Forged ones; still alive, but without any emotion or soul. Meanwhile Prince Regal's jealousy and the indulgence of his own selfish whims threatens to destroy Six Duchies.

Assassin's Apprentice (1995)
    Royal Assassin (1996)
    Assassin's Quest (1997)

Liveship Traders Trilogy

The Liveship Traders Trilogy mainly takes place southwest of The Six Duchies in Bingtown (a colony of Jamaillia) and focuses on Liveships (sentient ships). The trilogy is unusually nautical – an area seldom covered in fantasy – with the germ of it being apparently the idea of portraying ships whose figureheads are literally alive and sentient. While this trilogy does not follow FitzChivalry Farseer's life, it is linked to both the Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies.

Ship of Magic (1998)
    The Mad Ship (1999)
    Ship of Destiny (2000)

The Tawny Man Trilogy

The Tawny Man continues the life of FitzChivalry Farseer from The Farseer Trilogy. It commences 15 years after the events in Assassin's Quest, a period covered in part by The Liveship Traders Trilogy. It focuses on The Fool's attempts to guide others to fulfill his prophecies.

Fool's Errand (2002)
    Golden Fool (2003)
    Fool's Fate (2003)

The Rain Wilds Chronicles

Takes place in the years after the Liveship Traders trilogy, and runs concurrently with and following the events of the Tawny Man Trilogy.

Dragon Keeper (2009)
    Dragon Haven (2010)
    City of Dragons (February 2012)
    Blood of Dragons (February 2013)

Soldier Son Trilogy
Main article: Soldier Son Trilogy

Set in a new world unrelated to her previous trilogies, the Soldier Son Trilogy follows the life of Nevare Burvelle, the second son of a newly elevated Lord of the Kingdom of Gernia, and his preparation for and education at the King's Cavalla Academy. Unlike her other series, this work draws strongly in myths of the American Frontier.

Shaman's Crossing (2005)
    Forest Mage (2006)
    Renegade's Magic (2008)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Starlequin on June 23, 2012, 05:35:22 PM
Haha, then you know what I'm talking about. I haven't been able to pick up Blackout yet though; I was actually going to buy it today, and the bookshop sold its last copy last week.  ::)

Okay, /hijack.

No worries.. I hijack a lot of threads. "D

Shjade

Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Morrowclaw

I know it would be impossible due to the sheer length of each book but, the Wheel of time series would be awesome. They could even put in on HBO like Game of Thrones.
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: jcsimpson on June 23, 2012, 06:37:19 PM
I know it would be impossible due to the sheer length of each book but, the Wheel of time series would be awesome. They could even put in on HBO like Game of Thrones.

Been optioned FOREVER.. Jordan mentioned something about a miniseries in 2000.. but the folks involved left NBC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheel_of_Time#Television_and_film

Sasquatch421

Eon and Eona by Allison Goodman would make good movies. I would also love to see the Anita Blake series on the big screen as well or at least a tv series....

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on June 23, 2012, 06:44:28 PM
Eon and Eona by Allison Goodman would make good movies. I would also love to see the Anita Blake series on the big screen as well or at least a tv series....

Well at least the first few books.. the stuff after Narcissus Unchained isn't as good in some areas as I like.. haven't even read the last two books.

Aidonsious

The Belgariad by David Eddings.

As well, I remember when I was in middle school reading Amelia Atwater Rhodes's short stories. Loved them as well.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 23, 2012, 06:46:53 PM
Well at least the first few books.. the stuff after Narcissus Unchained isn't as good in some areas as I like.. haven't even read the last two books.

Hit List is actually quite good if you like ther older novels where it was all about solving cases and she didn't spend 10 chapters flat on her back. There was like 1 sex scene and that was it, plus Edward actually opens up some.

Kiss the Dead is pretty good as well... I usually don't buy hard covers, but this time I made an exeption.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on June 23, 2012, 07:45:07 PM
Hit List is actually quite good if you like ther older novels where it was all about solving cases and she didn't spend 10 chapters flat on her back. There was like 1 sex scene and that was it, plus Edward actually opens up some.

Kiss the Dead is pretty good as well... I usually don't buy hard covers, but this time I made an exeption.

I'm used to buy the Hard Covers.. I think after Flirt.. I stopped reading completely.

Sasquatch421

It did get to the point where it was like there was sex scenes everywhere. I think it did end up to be where Anita would trip and an erection just happened to be in the way as she put it... These last few books have started to balance it out more though.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on June 23, 2012, 08:14:02 PM
It did get to the point where it was like there was sex scenes everywhere. I think it did end up to be where Anita would trip and an erection just happened to be in the way as she put it... These last few books have started to balance it out more though.

she nearly spent 1/2 a book in bed in one of them. Flirt was a short story.. I read fast.. really really fast.. when I can read a hard cover from cover to cover in under  1 hour  45 minutes it's too light on content and too heavy on fluff.

Will

Quote from: jcsimpson on June 23, 2012, 06:37:19 PM

Fantasy settings make me really anxious.  Every movie or TV adaptation has to jump the hurdle of casting, making sure that they get it right and don't piss off the fanbase, but in fantasy worlds, everything is a potential minefield.  I imagine everyone has a different mental picture of Tar Valon, you know?  Or of how weaves might look, or the Ogier, or the Seafolk.  As much as I would LOVE to see it done, I know the chances of it lining up with how I imagine the setting are pretty much zero.

That said, if they do make an Eye of the World movie, I'll still be lining up to see it.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Wistful Dream

Quote from: Will on June 23, 2012, 09:12:29 PM
Fantasy settings make me really anxious.  Every movie or TV adaptation has to jump the hurdle of casting, making sure that they get it right and don't piss off the fanbase, but in fantasy worlds, everything is a potential minefield.  I imagine everyone has a different mental picture of Tar Valon, you know?  Or of how weaves might look, or the Ogier, or the Seafolk.  As much as I would LOVE to see it done, I know the chances of it lining up with how I imagine the setting are pretty much zero.

That said, if they do make an Eye of the World movie, I'll still be lining up to see it.

This, so much.

I'd love to see it as a mini series in the style of HBO's Game of Thrones because that is all just brilliant but its twelve books long and I'm not sure you could even fit one book into one season. And there would be the need to sort of... be selective the longer the books go on because even reading it a lot of the sub plots would eventually loose me.

On the same 'epic' scale is the Kushiel's Legacy series for me, I think it could be so very gorgeous and intricate and the cultures are amazing but to pull it off right there would need to be a massive budget so its highly unlikely.

Oh lesser known note, the Provost's Dog series, or the Beka Books by Tamora Pierce could make a kick ass, low fantasy gritty crime show I think. There's only three books, so maybe three movies [I don't think it would work well as a series] and all layered which such detail and twists... yeah. I would love to see that. However unlikely.

Apparently Pern might have its own TV series or films coming up.

Sasquatch421

I would love to see The Legend of Drizzit made into either a movie or tv series. R.A. Salvatore has such great characters, but again comes the chances that they get messed up.

Some of the older Star Wars novels might make good movies as well like the Darth Bane series. Just make sure Lucas doesn't write the script or storyline....

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 23, 2012, 08:26:53 PM
she nearly spent 1/2 a book in bed in one of them. Flirt was a short story.. I read fast.. really really fast.. when I can read a hard cover from cover to cover in under  1 hour  45 minutes it's too light on content and too heavy on fluff.

Flirt was supposed to be like that... Other then introducing Nicky to the fold it really had no impact to the overall story. Then again in mine it had alittle thing after the story ended with Laurell telling how she came up with the idea. It was actually funny to find out that the resturant scene where they were flirting with the waiter actually happened to Laurell and her friends.

What has disappointed me was they way Asher ended up. I liked the character, but she turned him into an ass in these last few novels.

Inkidu

The Leviathan series by Scott Westerfield would make a good PG, PG-13 kiddie romp. Some good young adult fiction from that guy.

Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series. Especially the Settling Accounts cycle. Though it might be too adult for even an R-rating. He throws around the big-bad N-word a lot. However, know that I'm from the South, so that should be a pretty good endorsement. Even if it does make the South in the book into the Germany analog.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

sexymomma

I think Jemima J would have made a good movie. I forget the author but it was about this lady who was really over weight, and no one paid any attention to her until she lost all the weight. I won't ruin the plot in case someone decided to read it, but it was good enough for a movie I believe.

Mordred

Pretty much anything by Isaac Asimov.. but in particular, The Foundation Trilogy, The Robot Series, or his short story Nightfall. After that, apart from many others that pop into mind.. Replay by Ken Grimwood. To me, this has film written all over it.

I've always loved it when I hear of books I read and loved being turned into films or series. Game Of Thrones, of course.. that was awesome to hear although my impatience on that was crazy. Years ago, Jurassic Park.. heh, I totally tripped when I heard that would be a film. I'm sure there's more but.. those always pop into mind.

Ohhhh, one more. 3001 by Arthur C Clarke. That would simply be an absolute trip. And yes, The Wheel of Time.. although I gave up on that series in the 6th or 7th book. I still love it. Might continue them some day.
*See Pillory*

Melusine

Kraken, by China Mieville. Even though the imagery is so surreal it'd be easy to botch it, I think with a good director and a good cast, it would make an amazing movie.

Frelance

Quote from: Inkidu on June 24, 2012, 10:31:40 AM
The Leviathan series by Scott Westerfield would make a good PG, PG-13 kiddie romp. Some good young adult fiction from that guy.

Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series. Especially the Settling Accounts cycle. Though it might be too adult for even an R-rating. He throws around the big-bad N-word a lot. However, know that I'm from the South, so that should be a pretty good endorsement. Even if it does make the South in the book into the Germany analog.

I agree will both those book series. I think the only series I read faster than Leviathan was the Uglies series by him. I would love to see the Uglies series made into movies as well as Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Also Into the black: Odessy One by Evan Curry would make a fantastic movie I think but then again I am addicted to Sci-fi so I could list 90% of the Sci-fi books I read/listen to as good books to make into movies.
Evolution is an arms race

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Frelance on June 26, 2012, 09:51:11 PM
I agree will both those book series. I think the only series I read faster than Leviathan was the Uglies series by him. I would love to see the Uglies series made into movies as well as Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Also Into the black: Odessy One by Evan Curry would make a fantastic movie I think but then again I am addicted to Sci-fi so I could list 90% of the Sci-fi books I read/listen to as good books to make into movies.

Isn't Ender's Game in development for a movie?

Frelance

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on June 26, 2012, 10:01:55 PM
Isn't Ender's Game in development for a movie?
It might be, I have heard for the past twelve years now that it is but then I find stuff saying that it isn't so I do not know what to believe.

SinXAzgard21

Redwall series by Brian Jacques or Shannara series by Terry Brooks.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Frelance on June 26, 2012, 10:06:14 PM
It might be, I have heard for the past twelve years now that it is but then I find stuff saying that it isn't so I do not know what to believe.

http://endersgameblog.tumblr.com/

Frelance

Lavinia

Gavlois

The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini. Not to be confused with Lavinia's post.
O/O

theoakenchilde

The Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony. I think those would make an amazing series of movies.

ONs & OFFs; a little insight!
Current role-plays; enjoy the read!
What the Great Oak seeks; PM me, if interested!
Apologies & Absences; Great Oak, where have you gone?

Do not currently expect more than one post per day!

Galactic Druid

Hopefully this will actually happen, I'd kill to see a movie based on James Dashner's The Maze Runner trilogy. (Soon to have a prequel, just one month, Yay!!)

There's a finished script and a deal in talk with Fox, that has yet to be green-lit. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The series spiked in popularity after The Hunger Games got made into a movie, thanks to Amazon's "if you like X, try Y" setup.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Shjade

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on June 24, 2012, 08:09:17 AM
What has disappointed me was they way Asher ended up. I liked the character, but she turned him into an ass in these last few novels.

Most of the best characters in that series either a) got horribly derailed (ex: Anita), b) got marginalized (Larry, Ronnie, etc.), or c) turned into total assholes (Richard, Asher...)
◕/◕'s

The Golden Touch

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on June 23, 2012, 06:44:28 PM
I would also love to see the Anita Blake series on the big screen as well or at least a tv series....

This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Since Anita's main power is the ardeur you're sort of asking for it to become porn. Since it includes her sex with weres in beast form, and mass orgy type sex. Please no... As much as I love the books.

Ender's game though, or Redwall- good ideas and not outside of the realm of movie magic.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Shjade

And even in the earlier books they'd have to deal with a lot of metaphysical shit that probably wouldn't film well. All her aura stuff, the way she senses weres and vampires and all that. A lot of it just wouldn't translate to visuals in a compelling way.
◕/◕'s

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on July 11, 2012, 03:20:21 AM
And even in the earlier books they'd have to deal with a lot of metaphysical shit that probably wouldn't film well. All her aura stuff, the way she senses weres and vampires and all that. A lot of it just wouldn't translate to visuals in a compelling way.

I think you could pull off anything before Narcissus in Chains.. after that.. it's all porn. I haven't even bought/read/sampled the last two books. I got the earlier books for my kindle but stopped buying the newer stuff LKH puts out. It was.. just not as good. She's shooting for the romance/porn novel crowd not the 'supernatural is normal' world. And sadly most of the stuff out there is following her trends. 

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 11, 2012, 11:30:51 AM
I think you could pull off anything before Narcissus in Chains.. after that.. it's all porn.

Well, I mean, think about Burnt Offerings. There are a few instances of physical conflict, yes, but about 75% of the struggle between the "good guys" and the Council is just metaphysical pushing back and forth: Padma's power running rampant across the shifters, Anita channeling power through the marks to calm things down, the Traveler and his all-over-the-place whatever, etc.

The movie would basically just be people talking to each other about how intense everything feels. Exciting!
◕/◕'s

Ridcully

Quote from: Silverfyre on June 23, 2012, 03:55:20 PM
"The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss.  It's begging to be made into a movie.

Very much agreed on, though I wonder: Will it work? The magic of the book lies, in my eyes, also (perhaps mainly?) in the exceptional writing Patrick Rothfuss pulls off.

There's rumours about a movie though. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw a movie coming up in 2014, because at the end of 2013 everyone will be into Fantasy again after going to see the second part of The Hobbit.

But who'll portray Kvothe? ^^

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Shjade on July 11, 2012, 11:34:16 AM
Well, I mean, think about Burnt Offerings. There are a few instances of physical conflict, yes, but about 75% of the struggle between the "good guys" and the Council is just metaphysical pushing back and forth: Padma's power running rampant across the shifters, Anita channeling power through the marks to calm things down, the Traveler and his all-over-the-place whatever, etc.

The movie would basically just be people talking to each other about how intense everything feels. Exciting!

True.. but I think there are things you can do to fix that problem. (given the proper setting, writing and effects). though I agree that Burnt Offerings would be one of the harder ones of the first books.

The Golden Touch

Weirdly enough, Kiss the Dead, the newest Anite Blake book had the sex but was strangely less about it. It definitely took almost a complete 180 from where they were before. I appreciated the sex scenes but it was very much away from that this time.

Another series to be movie-fied: Kushiel series (Although there is a fair bit of sex but most of the time its just flashback type business or glossed over).

Wistful Dream

Quote from: The Golden Touch on July 11, 2012, 02:34:35 PM
Another series to be movie-fied: Kushiel series (Although there is a fair bit of sex but most of the time its just flashback type business or glossed over).

I would hate to see it turned into a movie honestly. A mini series, like the Game of Thrones, would be amazing but I just don't think a movie could do the books justice. Not to mention the many 'climax points', Carey seems to have plots within plots within plots in some ways. If they tried to do it as a movie then I think it would just end up being like... two to three movies just to cover the first book in full. And that just increases from there with all of the traveling, twists and such.

The Golden Touch

If they can do the plot justice in either form, I wouldn't mind seeing it. But I also am wary to have any of my favorite series turned into anything cinematic. >>;;

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: The Golden Touch on July 11, 2012, 02:34:35 PM
Weirdly enough, Kiss the Dead, the newest Anite Blake book had the sex but was strangely less about it. It definitely took almost a complete 180 from where they were before. I appreciated the sex scenes but it was very much away from that this time.

Strangely enough I'm not too worried.. I got the lastest Laundry book on my ebook reader (as well as an Econ and CCNA text book) to read.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Wistful Dream on July 11, 2012, 02:36:59 PM
I would hate to see it turned into a movie honestly. A mini series, like the Game of Thrones, would be amazing but I just don't think a movie could do the books justice. Not to mention the many 'climax points', Carey seems to have plots within plots within plots in some ways. If they tried to do it as a movie then I think it would just end up being like... two to three movies just to cover the first book in full. And that just increases from there with all of the traveling, twists and such.

So it be like the LotR movies...  Three movies of dudes walking, except with the characters for this book.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Wistful Dream

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on July 12, 2012, 12:31:25 AM
So it be like the LotR movies...  Three movies of dudes walking, except with the characters for this book.

I would respectfully disagree to an extent. I mean, there is a lot of travel but even during that there's a ton of plot building normally. For instance her trip to Alba in the first book, the stuff that goes on with the T'siango, and then the sea crossing, when they land and meet the Twins, the march against the Usurper, and just... the traveling if often just as heavy with story as the 'stationary' bits. And that's just in the first book. 

Remy

The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Please don't confuse this as ''another'' twilight.  It's anything but and is a few years old now. It's an amazing story. Some reviews were generous, some not so, but as someone that loves an occasional Vampire story + a mystery + a wonderful back story, this ticked all the boxes of a brilliant read.  It's a Vampire story of the really old kind with the Count himself as the main character, and yet he's not in the book in person but for a possible glimpse of him in the end ( or was it him? winks), but it's all about him. 

The movie rights to it were bought instantly within a short time of publishing, but seem to have stalled which I'm very disappointed in. It would make a truly fabulous story as the setting it's created in spreads two generations, through out Europe in the oldest of cities, all places the Count ''might'' have been as the hunt/investigation/mystery surrounding his existence moves from one place to the next. 

It's a book I would absolutely without thought recommend to anyone and I would dare them not to like it and if it every does make it to the big screen I will be the first in line to watch it.

Sasquatch421

The Space Wolf series by William King (at least I think that's the authors name....)

I loved those books and honestly I don't think any of the other books I've read about the Space Marines have come close. Although the Soul Drinkers books did threaten for a little bit...

Saria

Quote from: Mordred on June 24, 2012, 01:28:19 PM
Pretty much anything by Isaac Asimov.. but in particular, The Foundation Trilogy, The Robot Series, or his short story Nightfall.

They actually did make a Nightfall movie, but it was horrawfibul. I agree with you in theory, but Asimov has just never had any luck being adapted. Bicentennial Man? And, of course, I, Robot (which wasn't even a pretence at an adaptation)? >.< And even more shocking, last I heard Sony was planning an adaptation of the Foundation series... with director... Roland Emmerich (Independence Day, The Day After Tomorrow, 2012, 10,000 BC). I swear that's not a joke. As nasty as I am, I am not cruel enough to make a joke like that.

Despite that, I do still have high hopes for a good Asimov adaptation. I'd love to see Harlan Ellison's script for I, Robot made (it uses a framing device where they're talking about Susan Calvin, and the I, Robot stories are flashbacks). Or a really awesome production of Caves of Steel would be sweet. Although, with Asimov's luck, if they ever made a Caves of Steel movie things would probably turn out the same way they did for the I, Robot movie, and it would just be a remake of Lethal Weapon 4 with Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw instead of Riggs and Murtaugh. ::)

If I had to pick books for adaptation... I think I would choose:

Neuromancer by William Gibson - The cyberspace scenes, and Molly in action, would be awesome. I know they did Johnny Mnemonic, but ugh. They could do so much better.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons - This would be the most visually awesome movie... ever... if they really capture some of the descriptions in the book. Hell, they could make six movies, one for each of the pilgrim's stories, and each one by itself would be awesome.

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke - Though there's next to no action, if it were properly made, the visuals of Rama would be... mind blowing. It would be a perfect suspense movie. ~nods~
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Callie Del Noire

I would LOVE to see me some Molly 'Million' rocking around slicking and dicing. I reread that trilogy about once a year.

Mobius

One that jumps to mind is the Broken Sky series by Chris Wooding. I really enjoyed reading that series back when it first came out. There was originally going to be animated series based on it that died out, unfortunately, but it would be perfect for another shot at a good adaption. (animated or live action)

“In your life, you meet people. Some you never think about again. Some, you wonder what happened to them. There are some that you wonder if they ever think about you. And then there are some you wish you never had to think about again. But you do.” - Unknown

On's and Off's!

Currently NOT taking on new roleplays!

Damnedangel

I wanna see the Newsflesh Trilogy turned into movies, but if it was done they'd have to do it without completely wrecking the idea! I loved it Feed, Deadline and Countdown oh my god three of the best zombie books I have had the pleasure of reading!

Another one which for me is a zombie book is the Return Man by V.M. Zito. This book had romance, thrills, horror, ninjas (hehe), zombies, a cure and the saddest ending of a book that I have read.

Also Callie, have you read Deadline and Countdown yet?
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum - If You Seek Peace Prepare For War.
We all have multiple personalities. The Average is three, but some people have more.
There's the face you wear for your friends and family, the one you let the outside world see.
Then there's the face you see everytime you look in the mirror.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on July 12, 2012, 09:19:02 PM
The Space Wolf series by William King (at least I think that's the authors name....)

I loved those books and honestly I don't think any of the other books I've read about the Space Marines have come close. Although the Soul Drinkers books did threaten for a little bit...

If you were going to turn any 40k series into visual media, I'd go with some of Dan Abnetts stuff instead. The Ravenor series maybe.

Though if I were to see anything on the big screen, I'd want it to be the Horus Heresy. I've no idea how many films you'd need to do justice to that though. A trilogy at the very least, so a mini series might work better.

But at least Forgeworld have announced they're doing Horus Heresy campaign books now.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cold Heritage

I'd like to see Starship Troopers get made into a movie. I sort of want to see Old Man's War on the big screen, but I suspect that it would be more satisfying if it played out as a series so they could have more room to breathe with things.

Quote from: The Golden Touch on July 11, 2012, 03:07:08 AM
This sounds like a recipe for disaster. Since Anita's main power is the ardeur you're sort of asking for it to become porn. Since it includes her sex with weres in beast form, and mass orgy type sex. Please no... As much as I love the books.

Wait whoa which book has Anita having the sex with weres in animal form?
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Casimir

You guys have already mentioned both of my favorites:

I'd so love a proper, massive 40k film... Probably the Tyrranid Wars or yeah the Horus Heresy even (I wouldn't even mind a single, shallow but very well made movie) and the Wheel of Time of course is what I have no doubt would be the most visually captivating film adaptation ever made. Battles are big and magic is bigger, and there's a plethora of colorful sets and characters.

On another note, I've always pictured Demian as a movie.
Hush Child, the darkness will rise from the deep... and carry you down into sleep.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Damnedangel on July 29, 2012, 06:08:58 PM
I wanna see the Newsflesh Trilogy turned into movies, but if it was done they'd have to do it without completely wrecking the idea! I loved it Feed, Deadline and Countdown oh my god three of the best zombie books I have had the pleasure of reading!

Another one which for me is a zombie book is the Return Man by V.M. Zito. This book had romance, thrills, horror, ninjas (hehe), zombies, a cure and the saddest ending of a book that I have read.

Also Callie, have you read Deadline and Countdown yet?

Yes.. yes I have. They went in day. Both of them.

I'd like to see a series don't out of Charlie Stross' Laundry series.

gaggedLouise

I'd love to see a modern remake of Sienkewicz's Quo Vadis, with the emperor Nero & his band of debauching henchmen, glam concubines, palace guards, gladiators and sly generals and courtiers vs the early Christians (and other more genteel Romans). The old 1951 film is very good, with superb oneliners and stunning sets and images, it's also a feast of kitschy decadence - a very gay film - but what would not be possible to achieve now, in the age of CGI and with less decorous standards for Hollywood movies? By the way, the makers of Gladiator probably borrowed some ideas from the 1950s epic.

Also curious what the Maccabees Rebellion movie would look like, though it was not a great idea to have Mel Gibson as director (or was it producer?)  and star actor for this strongly Jewish-related project.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Saria

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 12, 2012, 10:46:52 PM
I would LOVE to see me some Molly 'Million' rocking around slicking and dicing. I reread that trilogy about once a year.
I know, right? :-) It's so sad they flubbed her so badly in that movie with Keanu Reeves.

Quote from: Cold Heritage on July 30, 2012, 03:02:33 PM
I'd like to see Starship Troopers get made into a movie. I sort of want to see Old Man's War on the big screen, but I suspect that it would be more satisfying if it played out as a series so they could have more room to breathe with things.
You mean Starship Troopers made into a movie that actually had something to do with the book, right? :P Or at least made by someone who was actually able to finish the book.

But Old Man's War would make a wicked miniseries, especially because there are so many diverse alien species they end up fighting, each episode could be radically different. I'm actually doing a game here on Elliquiy loosely based on it.

But if you're going that road, it would also be wicked to see a movie made from Dorsai!. And I heard a rumour a while ago that there was going to be a movie made of The Forever War... by Ridley Scott... oh, I feel funny in my pants just thinking about it again. >,<
Saria is no longer on Elliquiy, and no longer available for games

Chelemar

I have a few series I think would be fun movies...

1.  The Honor Herrington Series by David Weber
     first: TREE CATS!!!  come on, who doesn't want a pairing like that? 
     second:  Kick ass female lead character
     third:  lots of interesting political drama

I could go on and on, but really if you haven't read this series, and you like military sci-fi, this one is really fun.

Next, for some super fun fantasy, The Owl Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.  While targeted for a younger audience, older readers of the books will be not be disappointed in the story.  Lackey's stories have gay characters, one of the few series that I have read that do so, and even touch on it, a bet lightly.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Chelemar on July 31, 2012, 09:40:35 AM
I have a few series I think would be fun movies...

1.  The Honor Herrington Series by David Weber
     first: TREE CATS!!!  come on, who doesn't want a pairing like that? 
     second:  Kick ass female lead character
     third:  lots of interesting political drama

I could go on and on, but really if you haven't read this series, and you like military sci-fi, this one is really fun.

Next, for some super fun fantasy, The Owl Mage Trilogy by Mercedes Lackey.  While targeted for a younger audience, older readers of the books will be not be disappointed in the story.  Lackey's stories have gay characters, one of the few series that I have read that do so, and even touch on it, a bet lightly.

I have to admit the Owl Mage would go over better than the Last Herald Mage (much darker) but I'd like to see a Vanyel story with a dark 'Game of Thrones' vibe to it.

As for HH Series.. I would LOVE to see some of them go to media.. (still screaming at the end of the last book.. we got half a BOOK DAMNIT!)

gaggedLouise

Joyce Carol Oates' Blonde was about to be filmed, with Naomi Watts in the lead as Marilyn Monroe, but the project seems to be on hold. That's one I would very much like to see. Naomi was simply created for the part of Monroe, she'd be a perfect fit both in her physique and her acting sensibility, matching what Oates is on to in her book. If made, the film could get her her first Oscar - unless she happens to get one for the upcoming Diana movie (and I don't think she will, it will probably be a worldwide hit at the box office though)

By the way it's a surprise there haven't been more films from Oates's books, she writes fabulous dialogue and often very dramatic stories. Literary critics used to slag at her for being too spectacular in the subject matter she chooses, and too prolific, but the movie and tv people really should have bneen thronging for permission to film some of her work, or even asked her to write directly for tv. Maybe she has been approached and just turned it down, but it looks unlikely: she's a writer who really wants to reach a wide audience without dumbing down. I can see why the "family-friendly" norm would have made it hard to adapt some of her books though.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

DeamonAndae19

I have to admit that I'd like to see Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels turned into a series of films, admittedly, it would take quite a long time, since there are over 21 books in the entire series.

But, it'd be worth the effort, just to see Rincewind the Wizard, Twoflower, Cohen the Barbarian, and above all Death come to life from the books to the Screen, and the hilarity would keep those that have read the books interested, I personally just love the series and have been hooked since the third page of 'The Colour of Magic' and have steadily worked my way from cover to cover of each novel.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DeamonAndae19 on July 31, 2012, 11:18:21 AM
I have to admit that I'd like to see Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels turned into a series of films, admittedly, it would take quite a long time, since there are over 21 books in the entire series.

But, it'd be worth the effort, just to see Rincewind the Wizard, Twoflower, Cohen the Barbarian, and above all Death come to life from the books to the Screen, and the hilarity would keep those that have read the books interested, I personally just love the series and have been hooked since the third page of 'The Colour of Magic' and have steadily worked my way from cover to cover of each novel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Film_and_television

There are several out there already. Various levels of goodness. I definitely suggest Going Postal.

And a fan film too..
Run Rincewind Run!

DeamonAndae19

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 31, 2012, 11:30:37 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld#Film_and_television

There are several out there already. Various levels of goodness. I definitely suggest Going Postal.

And a fan film too..
Run Rincewind Run!

Oh-no, I mean, all made by the same person/company, and EXACTLY like the books, and in order, I've seen the current films, and they let me down in all opinion, especially Hogfather... The book was amazing, the film put me to sleep...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DeamonAndae19 on July 31, 2012, 12:42:29 PM
Oh-no, I mean, all made by the same person/company, and EXACTLY like the books, and in order, I've seen the current films, and they let me down in all opinion, especially Hogfather... The book was amazing, the film put me to sleep...

I don't see it happening. Odds are it will be something his estate will have to do after his death in the next few years. I get sad everytime I think about that too. Baring a cure for Alzheimer's he won't live through the next decade.

DeamonAndae19

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on July 31, 2012, 03:07:30 PM

I don't see it happening. Odds are it will be something his estate will have to do after his death in the next few years. I get sad everytime I think about that too. Baring a cure for Alzheimer's he won't live through the next decade.

No, he won't, and he's my favourite author of all time, one of the few that can write for children and adults... In the same book.

It'll be a sad day when he dies, and I can sense the Yorkshire weather doing for Sir Pratchett what it did for Michael Jackson... And rain for a whole week...

But yeah... I have a TV and Film qual.

I can do better than the films already out there, and my qual's only a LVL 1

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: DeamonAndae19 on July 31, 2012, 05:44:43 PM
No, he won't, and he's my favourite author of all time, one of the few that can write for children and adults... In the same book.

It'll be a sad day when he dies, and I can sense the Yorkshire weather doing for Sir Pratchett what it did for Michael Jackson... And rain for a whole week...

His situation has me conflicted. Having had TWO family members with Alzheimer in the past, I know what his wife and daughter are going through. I respect his decision to commit suicide before his mental faculties have diminished to the point my great-aunt suffered with. She was a strong vibrant woman who in the end nearly killed my great-uncle in depression. She didn't recognize anyone except rarely and wasn't even aware that she had hurt herself several times. My grandmother's heart attack a few months into her twilight was actually a blessing.

In other news.. the Honor Harrington comment earlier had me look around. There ARE movie rights optioned out. Thing is as far as I can tell, aside from a few business filings sites, there is no web presence for the company..though they have crushed a few Honor Harrington fan games with the movie option.

Callie Del Noire

Here is a series of books that I think would make a good BBC series. (ie.. 3 to 9 eps a year).

The Laundry Series by Charles Stross. British IT Humor, Spies, Bureaucracy and the Cthulhu Mythos all mixed together.

Rereading the Atrocity Archives this week.

WindVoyager

Stephen Kings' the Cell and his Dark Tower Series. Though the Dark Tower would be better off a mini series given how long the books are and all the marital they cover

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: WindVoyager on August 10, 2012, 12:09:28 PM
Stephen Kings' the Cell and his Dark Tower Series. Though the Dark Tower would be better off a mini series given how long the books are and all the marital they cover

Word is .. The Cell was optioned.. Not sure if it's a TV movie or motion picture.. The Dark Tower series is back in development hell from what I heard.. arguments over budget and writing control is the issue I heard.

I stand corrected..

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/dark-tower-movie-russell-crowe-ron-howard-stephen-king_n_1737199.html

Sasquatch421

Lately I have been rereading the Gor series by John Norman. I think they would make a decent movie series depending on how they handle some of the stuff in it.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: jake one on June 23, 2012, 12:41:09 PM
I would love to see anyone of the dark hunter novles turned into a movie or maybe a tv seiries. Luckily i think they are making a tv seiries out of it.

I've been to several Sherrilyn Kenyon signings, and I've actually heard that movie and TV series rights have been purchased!  I'm pretty sure the Chronicles of Nick are supposed to become feature films and that the Dark Hunters are supposed to be a TV series, though I have no idea when.  The Dark Hunters are pretty vast, so I feel like a TV show would be awesome to explore that universe.  I'd also love to see a show/movie made with JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood.

ForAlbion

Quote from: DeamonAndae19 on July 31, 2012, 05:44:43 PM

Ugh, yes. Both to his impending and unfortunate passing, and to the general shitty quality of the current film adaptations of his books. I just want to see a Sam Vimes played by Hugh Laurie. Is that so much to ask?

I will grant that Going Postal--although I feel it missed the general feel of the series by a pretty wide margin--did have a perfect, and I do mean perfect Vetinari.

consortium11

I think virtually any of David Gemmell's works could be adapted as a movie fairly successfully.

The reason for this is that despite being my favourite author his plots are essentially simple... and with his later works to the point of derision. Almost without exception there is a small group of heroes consisting of a grizzled, veteran warrior (who may or may not also be one of the world's greatest swordsman), a young, inexperienced, adventurer, a big, blunt warrior who is rough around the edges but has a heart of gold (and uses a big axe), a naive, moral centre of the group (who may turn into a warrior priest), a love interest (who either provides the moral centre or the target of the quest) and a more swashbuckling ladies man/charmer (who often turns into the archer). This group are on a quest that requires them to travel through a hostile/enemy controlled area while possibly being pursued and normally ends in something resembling a siege.

Along with the plots the themes are fairly consistent and simple. The grizzled warrior finds some form of redemption, the young adventurer has a great realisation but is never jaded, the rought around the edges man with the axe commits a great act of heroism (possibly unexpected) and in general it's about loyalty, sacrifice, honour, human will and friendship.

And in perhaps the biggest nod to a Hollywood adaptation there's virtually always a big set piece. Often this corresponds with a siege but for others it's even more strange/evocative... a novel built around a post-apocalyptic Western theme ends with the Titanic sailing through the sky before sinking or a nuclear bomb being sent through time or King Arthur marching the lost Ninth Legion through the mists of time...

Some fantasy novels simply work far better as TV adaptation than a movie... Song of Ice and Fire is the clear example as the 90-120 minute time limit of a movie simply isn't enough time to develop the varied plot points. Gemmell novels are the opposite. They're the summer blockbuster of fantasy, the popcorn film of novels. You can normally see what's going to happen before it actually happens, you know the themes, you know the characters... but you read along anyway because it's so damn enjoyable.

Stella

One of my favourite book series ever is Gemmell's Troy Trilogy. His interpretation of the war, the history, the characters is now my canon for the Trojan war. He breathed such realism into it and did I ever fall in love with Kalliades!

I would love for this to be made into a three season tv series more than one or three movies. There's so many rich characters to explore!

Sasquatch421

I started reading Tom Clancy's Dead or Alive and it got me thinking since they moved Clark and Ding from Rainbow to The Campus. I figure Rainbow Six could make a good movie or it would make a great TV series as well.

Arohk

I have always wanted an amazing, honest-to-God live action DragonLance movie. I think it could be the stuff of legends and be as good, if not better, than Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. DragonLance is my all-time favorite book series and I've always wanted to see a well casted and fully fleshed out Silver Screen version. I know a lot of people disagree just because of the level of immersion that is needed, but if they took their time and divided the series similarly to what they did with Lord of the Rings, I think they would have a serious blockbuster.

I would freak.

consortium11

Quote from: Stella on November 02, 2012, 08:19:21 AM
One of my favourite book series ever is Gemmell's Troy Trilogy. His interpretation of the war, the history, the characters is now my canon for the Trojan war. He breathed such realism into it and did I ever fall in love with Kalliades!

I would love for this to be made into a three season tv series more than one or three movies. There's so many rich characters to explore!

I loved the Troy series mainly because it was a real return to form. He'd clearly been treading water up to that point with many of his more recent novels being almost entirely derivative of his earlier work; I think it was the second Skilgannon book where it really kicked home; as I read it I felt well... ambivalent, as I'd read it all before. When you compare the inventiveness he's shown in the Sipstrassi novels (and his way of interpreting legends which bled into the Troy series) and compare it to some of his Drenai and stand-alone work where he played it very safe the difference is dramatic.

With regards to TV series, I think a couple of his works could be done. The actual plot of the Jon Shannow series may be a little ambitious for a TV series but the basic theme is made for episodic TV (Vigilante "white hat" rides into a town and slays brigands, collecting an array of characters around him) and the Rigante novels could work well (especially considering the understated endings of the first and third novels, which screamed "sequel!") but on the whole I think TV would struggle with the widescreen nature of much of his work. Game of Thrones is an excellent series and Blackwater is an excellent episode... but because of the nature of episodic TV (and the budgets) it was never quite as epic as I imagined/hoped it would be. Trying to do say the end of Legend, Waylander, King Beyond the Gate or The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend without that scale would simply be a bit underwhelming I fear.

Naiah

Way of Kings and Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson!

Funguy81

Quote from: Arohk on November 02, 2012, 07:14:21 PM
I have always wanted an amazing, honest-to-God live action DragonLance movie. I think it could be the stuff of legends and be as good, if not better, than Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings. DragonLance is my all-time favorite book series and I've always wanted to see a well casted and fully fleshed out Silver Screen version. I know a lot of people disagree just because of the level of immersion that is needed, but if they took their time and divided the series similarly to what they did with Lord of the Rings, I think they would have a serious blockbuster.

I would freak.

You are the love of my life! lol.

I always wanted to see a life action movie as well. the animated cartoon they made truly sucked. If they went with a live action movie, I would be the first in line to see it.

Arohk

Funguy- :D Awesome to see another person who wants to see this happen! Whenever I have brought it up elsewhere, people have been like
'Nope, too hard and they would ruin it and blah blah blah.'

So I am happy that someone else sees the light. XD

You'd be second in line if I have anything to say about it! :P

stormwyrm

Neuromancer. It seems William Gibson hasn't had much luck getting his work on film. New Rose Hotel was much too subtle to have had more than cult appeal, and Johnny Mnemonic was so badly done that the best thing about it was Gibson's script. Count Zero (I've always imagined Bruce Willis in the role of Turner, ever since I first read it years ago) and Mona Lisa Overdrive couldn't hurt either.

Neal Stephenson's books could also use a film version. Reamde, Snow Crash, or the Diamond Age. Cryptonomicon, while my favourite of his books so far, probably will not translate well to the big screen, to say nothing of the Baroque Cycle.

I still have not seen a feature film adaptation of the Vicomte of Bragelonne (the Man in the Iron Mask) that was even remotely faithful to the book.

I see someone has already mentioned Dragonlance... That was my second fantasy trilogy after Tolkien, and I would love to see it.

And speaking of Tolkien, The Children of Húrin looks like it might work on screen, but it's a tragedy on a Wagnerian scale.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: stormwyrm on November 04, 2012, 11:12:16 AM
Neuromancer. It seems William Gibson hasn't had much luck getting his work on film. New Rose Hotel was much too subtle to have had more than cult appeal, and Johnny Mnemonic was so badly done that the best thing about it was Gibson's script. Count Zero (I've always imagined Bruce Willis in the role of Turner, ever since I first read it years ago) and Mona Lisa Overdrive couldn't hurt either.

Neal Stephenson's books could also use a film version. Reamde, Snow Crash, or the Diamond Age. Cryptonomicon, while my favourite of his books so far, probably will not translate well to the big screen, to say nothing of the Baroque Cycle.

I still have not seen a feature film adaptation of the Vicomte of Bragelonne (the Man in the Iron Mask) that was even remotely faithful to the book.

I see someone has already mentioned Dragonlance... That was my second fantasy trilogy after Tolkien, and I would love to see it.

And speaking of Tolkien, The Children of Húrin looks like it might work on screen, but it's a tragedy on a Wagnerian scale.

Yeah.. you're more likely to see his new stuff over the old. I know that Neruromancer has been and out of development hell since .. like the 80s. Add in things like New Rose Hotel .. which was a firmly 'okay' movie.. (it's in my dvd colleciton.) and I doubt we'll see any decent Gibson movies with the current studio temptation to 'make things relevant'.