[Pathfinder] 2 High Fantasy Game Ideas

Started by Wintercat, June 17, 2013, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inash

Ill go ahead and build a healer of some sort

Question Mark

Oh, that reminds me.

@Wintercat: What's the policy concerning traits?

Wintercat

I've accepted traits from the APG quite fine, I've got a fair share of other Pathfinder books but don't recall most traits elsewhere, I try and avoid campaign-specific ones though, given as its a homebrew they tend to be a bit hard to justify. The standard '2 traits' option stands, and the feat to acquire additional traits is there at 1st level.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

Callie Del Noire

Muse

Guess I'll bring in an Aasimar paladin then.  :)  (More muscle with backup healing.) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Ershin

Mind if I ask if characters are going to be chosen on a first-posted-first-serve basis, or is there a set deadline? I'm going to be away from my computer for a few days, so I may not be the fastest person in getting something up.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm.. maybe a fighter (archer)/Bard-Wizard/Arcane Archer type? For ranged effects.

Muse

The teifling rogue sounded like s/he filled an important niche, callie-kun.  We've already got a sorcerer dabling in archery.  *shrugs* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Muse on June 25, 2013, 07:34:25 PM
The teifling rogue sounded like s/he filled an important niche, callie-kun.  We've already got a sorcerer dabling in archery.  *shrugs*

Pout.. shame.. I had her 90% built. :(

Here is a quick modify of her..

Unnamed Hero
Female Tiefling Fighter (Archer) 1 Rogue 4
CG Medium Outsider (native)
Init +4; Senses Perception +9
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+3 armor, +1 shield, +4 Dex)
hp 35 (1d10+4d8+5)
Fort +4, Ref +8 (+1 bonus vs. traps), Will +2
Defensive Abilities evasion, trap sense, uncanny dodge; Resist cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee Claw x2 (Maw or Claw (Claws)) -2 x2 (1d4/x2) and
. . Masterwork Rapier +4 (1d6+1/18-20/x2)
Ranged +1 Composite longbow (Str +0) +7/+7 (2d6+1/x3)
Special Attacks rogue talents (deadly range, deadly range), sneak attack +2d6
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 12
Base Atk +4; CMB +3; CMD 19
Feats Focused Shot +4, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Rapid Shot
Skills Acrobatics +12, Bluff +3, Climb +8, Craft (alchemy) +9, Craft (bows) +9, Disable Device +14, Disguise +6, Escape Artist +9, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +8, Knowledge (engineering) +8, Knowledge (history) +5, Knowledge (local) +8, Knowledge (nature) +5, Knowledge (planes) +6, Knowledge (religion) +6, Linguistics +9, Perception +9 (+11 to locate traps), Sense Motive +6, Sleight of Hand +9, Spellcraft +7, Stealth +14, Use Magic Device +9; Racial Modifiers +2 Bluff, +2 Stealth
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Goblin, Infernal, Orc
SQ trapfinding +2
Combat Gear Alchemist's fire (5), Alchemist's kindness (5), Alkali flask (5), Ghast retch flask (5), Holy water (5), Shard gel (5), Tangleburn bag (2), Tanglefoot bag (5), Thistle arrows (10); Other Gear +1 Darkleaf Cloth Leather armor, Mithral Buckler, +1 Composite longbow (Str +0), Arrow, durable (20), Arrows (20), Cold Iron Arrow, durable (5), Masterwork Rapier, Silver Arrow, durable (5), Thistle arrows (10), Efficient quiver (61 @ 11 lbs), Handy haversack (48 @ 127.5 lbs), Alchemist's lab, Bandolier (empty), Bandolier (empty), Bedroll, Belt pouch (1 @ 0 lbs), Belt pouch (empty), Blanket, winter, Blue book (????), Flint and steel, Glass cutter, Glue paper (5), Grappling arrow, Hammer, Ink, black (2), Mug/tankard, Piton (10), Second-story harness, Silk rope, Skeleton key (2), Tent, small, 1225 GP, 3 SP, 8 CP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Deadly Range +20' (Ex) A ninja with this ninja trick increases the range at which she can deal sneak attack damage by 10 feet. A ninja can take this trick more than once. Its effects stack.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Focused Shot +4 Make a single bow or crossbow attack, adding your INT modifier to the damage roll as precision damage.
Point Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Precise Shot You don't get -4 to hit when shooting or throwing into melee.
Rapid Shot You get an extra attack with ranged weapons. Each attack is at -2.
Skeleton key Use a +10 Disable Device for one try to open a lock.
Sneak Attack +2d6 +2d6 damage if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
Trap Sense +1 (Ex) +1 bonus on reflex saves and AC against traps.
Trapfinding +2 Gain a bonus to find or disable traps, including magical ones.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex) Retain Dex bonus to AC when flat-footed.

Hero Lab® and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.

Question Mark

Quote from: Muse on June 25, 2013, 07:34:25 PM

More like an archer dabbling in sorcery! 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Question Mark on June 25, 2013, 08:16:13 PM
More like an archer dabbling in sorcery!  Speaking of which, here he is...

PROFILE SOON TO BE EDITED IN

I was aiming for an Arcane Archer.. but looking for a willy sneak bow attacking shadow dancer. :D

Muse

And here is my mostly finished paladin. 

I've got a lot more of her history in my head than written out as of this posting. 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=598027

Quick run down: 
--Analise's mother, an Anis Hag, dropped her off with a bachelor horse rancher as a babe.  Her gamble was that Analise would feel the lack of a mother and be easily called back. 

Since her adoptive father loved her very much, and was able to hire her a wet nurse, that lack was minimal.  (Though she's very much a tomboy.)  More, when he discovered that she could see in the dark, he decided there was more to her than met the eye and apprenticed her at the academy that is implied in this story.  The masters at the academy had some vague idea of what she was, and managed to hold her back from seeking her mother 'til she was strong enough to deal with her. 

Analise is a brave and spiritual paladin, but also loves magic and horses.  Shes' generally curious.  Recently, her (goddess?) has rewarded her service with a companion from the celestial realms, a paladin's mount all her own. 

Callie Del Noire

Question Mark

The second one, definitely.  The cleavage in the first picture is simply unacceptable.  Also, the tiefling in #2 is smoking a pipe, so she would have won by default anyway.

Here's my character....  He's very much a work in progress.  I've been adapting him from a previous game (which never got off the ground) where he was level 1, so a lot of his stats, feats, and equipment are a bit out of date.

Ada Stonewrought, the Banner of Mount Alister
Level 5 Human Sorcerer, Draconic Bloodline
Charismatic Stranger, Experienced Explorer, Talented Archer, Clever Illusionist, Support Caster

Ability Score Rationale
STR (10): Average person, not especially strong nor weak.  His constant travel and use of the bow keeps him lean and wiry, more dextrous than strong.
DEX (16): He is naturally dextrous due to his lanky frame and a steady hand.  The +2 racial bonus is due to his years of practice via archery.
CON (8): His initial foray into magic resulted in a minor heart attack.  Although he recovered, the experience left him with a heart condition, making him physically vulnerable to trauma and injury.
INT (16): He has a sharp mind, above average, and can learn most anything if he focuses on it long enough.  This is further enhanced by the Headband of Mental Prowess he wears, giving him an additional +2 bonus.
WIS (14): Ada is very perceptive and aware of his surroundings, and years of travel have expanded his once narrow world view.  On the rare occasion he speaks, Ada enjoys philosophical discussions.  That said, he is still prone to developing tunnel vision and ignoring what he deems to be "unnecessary" parcels of information.
CHA (21): Although quiet and naturally introverted, Ada's striking appearance, straightforward honesty, and unflagging determination give him a charismatic gravitas.  The rigorous development of his inborn magical talent has further increased his appeal, resulting in a +1 attribute bonus.  In addition, his Headband of Mental Prowess grants a +2 bonus.

Summary and Ancillary Notes
  • Summary: Ada was a grief-stricken farmer who, upon learning of his latent magical potential, abandoned his farm and struck out into the world to become a traveler.  In the past five years, he has evolved from a backwards country bumpkin to a worldly explorer who's well on his way to seeing it all.
  • Brief Bio:
  • Appearance: Tall with handsome, albeit sharp, features.  His lanky build, angular face, and olive skin indicate a mixed heritage.  His clothing is fine and well made to the common eye, but surprisingly durable and travel-proof underneath its rich appearance.  Ada proudly wears the colors of his dynastic heritage -- jet black and vibrant orange -- either unaware or unconcerned of the attention such eye-catching colors will attract.  His sharp features, colorful and fine clothing, and the distinctive Bow of Alister ensure that Ada's face is not one to be easily forgotten.
  • Combat: Quiet and kind, Ada prefers to avoid combat when he can, preferring to talk his way out of tense situations.  If that fails or is unfeasable, he'll make use of his growing skill with illusions to evade or hide from enemies until he can sneak past.  When he must fight, Ada prefers to use his magical abilities to keep his opponents distracted and at a distance while he peppers them with arrows.  If they close with him, he can use his draconic claws for a short time until he manages to get some distance.  If he's losing, Ada has no compunction against using illusions or trickery to flee or hide.
  • Personality: Ada is a man of dualities.  He is kind and compassionate, but can be callous when impatient and suffers from a short temper.  He possesses great charisma, and yet he's reluctant to befriend others, and prefers to keep people at a distance.  Despite his intelligence and discerning instinct, he is prone to tunnel vision, and can even be ignorantly defiant when confronted with unpleasant or conflicting information.  Although intelligent and thoughtful, he believes he is not long for this world, and so is prone to taking risks or making snap decisions "just because."
  • Alignment: Being Neutral Good, Ada acknowledges the usefulness of law and order in creating a prosperous society, but also realizes that Lawful Good can occasionally become Lawful Stupid.  As such, he has no compunction against disregarding laws or customs he finds unwise, pointless, or obstructive.  Being a man who is convicted and sincere in his beliefs, Ada will even take pride in breaking these unnecessary social mores, and may conflict with authorities on the matter.  He treats oaths a similar way: he prefers to keep to his word, but he won't be losing any sleep over a broken promise.

Sample
TBD

Stats

Ada Stonewrought
Level 5 Human Sorcerer
Status unknown.
HP: 29/29
Subdual: 29/29
Hit Dice: 5d6
Init: +5

Saves
Fort: +1
Reflex: +4
Will: +6

Defense
AC: 14
Touch: 13
Flat: 11
CMB: +2

Offense
Melee: +2
Ranged: +5
Bow of Alister: 1d8+1 (x3), 100 ft.  Magical.  Point-Blank Shot, Arcane Strike, Gravity Bow (2d6+1)
Claws (x2): 1d4 (x2).  Magical.  Uses left: 8/8 rounds

Spell Slots
Cantrips- ∞
1st - 8/8
2nd - 5/5

EroticFantasyAuthor

What about Ultimate Combat for classes?

Also, could we have the option of taking average HP rather than rolling?

As for characters: I do not have a specific idea, often filling a needed party role helps me to decide on a concept.

spooky

Mark Macy
Level 5 Spellblade Magus

Personality: Mark is a man that hungers for knowledge and strength above all else. He lives to find new books, new magics and new lore, as well as to master the art of the sword. He is a very easygoing person from a social standpoint, not much of a stickler for how things look as much as for how things work. He is a curious person, and this is what makes him seem much more sociable, even though he isn't as smooth as some. He doesn't back down from challenges, as every struggle is a chance to learn something. All and all, Mark is a very excitable and adventurous person.

Background: Mark was raised in small fishing village, having a poor and happy family. He did his chores and spent his free time playing around with stick swords with local boys. He didn't have much in terms of schooling, but when he could find a new book he read it until he had it nearly memorized. His family was always proud of how smart there son was, and he was always curious. Whether he was searching the creeks for frogs or poking at bugs in a state of wonder, Mark had a never ending curiosity.

One day, still early in his childhood, a band of bandits stormed his village and claimed rights to there income as a tax of some-sort. For months the bandit gang used his village as a hub for there highway ambushing and such. The village sent out a call for help to a nearby city, and the Academy was long in sending aid. After a few weeks of dwindling hope a man rode into the village, leaping into the midst of bandits sword in hand, glowing with a magical flame. Mark watched in awe as the man dispatched the gang of rowdy ruffians with sword and arcane forces that the youth had never seen. It was all Mark could manage to fight off the urge to sneak closer and watch the majestic mage strike down the criminals.

When all was said and done, the mage climbed on his horse and made to leave, his job done. Mark, unable to resist, ran out from his hiding placed and begged to be taken along. His parents came out and aided his plea, wanting him to make the best of his future and hoping that maybe their son could become a greater man than was fated as a fish merchant. After a few delicate words to his mother and father, and the acceptance of the charge... Mark Macy was pulled up onto the horse and rode off with the man that had inspired his first adventure.

Years passed, and Mark replaced stick swords with wood, and those later became steel. The books of his youth, stories of hero's and magic, became history and sorcery and more. He grew skilled in blade and the arcane, testing his strength as much and his mind, until he was proved himself capable of his first minor missions. Mark never lost his desire to gain knowledge, and has gained a greater fervor in honing his blade. Though, he remains thankful to his parents for there loving sacrifice, of giving their oldest son to the Academy, and sends them coins as he can while he continues to learn and develop.
I have taken The Oath of Drake.

Wintercat

There is no first-come, first-served basis in choosing the characters.

What I am looking for is a team capable of tackling the challenges together and people who I can trust to remain and post in the tale. I would rather try and make sure this game would have a good chance of lasting a fair while, after all. The first 6 ready characters wont necessarily be the 6 characters chosen for this if we end up with more than 6 players with ready characters waiting for the game.

I expect to get started on 8th of July, so I would appreciate people having their characters ready by 5th of July.

This should give me the chance to go through the characters during the weekend, although I would certainly appreciate the input of the people here about how they would like to play. I will aim to listen to people here where its possible.

On Hit Points: I would prefer rolls on 4th and later levels, not averages.

The first 3 levels the player characters get maximum hit points per level, giving the characters a good chance to survive what the world may throw at them. However, beyond that I would appreciate the element of randomness being present, so please roll, dont simply take the average.

On Ultimate Combat: I don't have it

Because I am not in possession of Ultimate Combat I cannot really check anything from it, so unfortunately that book isn't available. I believe I have used some material from the book before, thanks to the use of a Pathfinder wiki, but I do not trust in the wiki material anymore.
I've taken the Oath of The Drake. Remind me of it if you think I act against it.
A&A

EroticFantasyAuthor

spooky

there's also the PFRPG RD app on the droid market...

Wintercat

As said, I don't trust the wikis and I am not entirely sure on the SRD. I prefer to have a book in hand to check the facts when possible.

Its partially because I've seen some sources list -3rd party material- as -core material- and after that, I've preferred the actual book when running a game.

Ultimate Combat isn't available for this.
A&A

spooky

Understood, I'll stick to the listed books, I hope I make the cut.

Callie Del Noire

I tell folks to use the PRD at Paizo as it restricts itself to the books and organizes by the books.  But even then, they need to have the sources for Pathfinder Society play. 

Inash

I'm afraid all I have right now is the PRD.  I've tried to make sure I only use the feats, etc. listed as core though.  Here is what I have so far.  Just a basic, straight up cleric since I'd rather not make it too complicated for my first time trying pathfinder. 

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=598287

I do have a small complication though, the deities are not in the PRD.  Could someone please send me the information on a NG diety?

*Edited because I linked the wrong sheet  :-[

EroticFantasyAuthor

Still not entirely sure what I would play. What party roles have been spoken for already?

As for deity list, you could try googling "Pathfinder Deities"

Question Mark

Quote from: EroticFantasyAuthor on June 26, 2013, 09:00:50 PM
Still not entirely sure what I would play. What party roles have been spoken for already?

As for deity list, you could try googling "Pathfinder Deities"

Well, we have a sneaky archer, a paladin, a direct damage magus, and an illusionist.

Also, I was under the impression we'd have custom deities?  Or am I mistaken?