Legend of the Five Rings Interest thread.

Started by BraveEarth, February 26, 2013, 02:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katina Tarask

We can subtly suggest that someone may or may not remember a certain Daidoji organization's methods.

Pumpkin Seeds

Katina Tarask

Inquisition?  Nonsense, we're not allying ourselves with the Kuni or anything.  Though the possibility that there may be some Harriers left is quite scary.

kckolbe

Thanks Katina.  I will go with that path.  Unfortunately, that means my char can't say whatever he wants and get away with it, but commerce could come in handy.  With that AND Daikoku's Blessing, he would have a commerce roll of 7k5. 
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Pumpkin Seeds

Very nice.  You can make sure to get me the finest kimono at the best price.

kckolbe

Maybe if he gets to watch her try it on.  ~grins~

By the way, thanks to everyone who weighed in and helped me figure out which way to go with him.  I was worried that he would be useless, and am glad he will have at least one function.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Katina Tarask

*Thwacks the Unicorn with a fan.*

"Manners, Ide-san."

Pumpkin Seeds

Come now Kakita-san.  He is only a barbarian and knows little better.

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Katina Tarask

Indeed, Pumpkin-san.  A barbarian to be taught, in much the same way his kind teaches those dogs they are so fond of.

Pumpkin Seeds

A fan snaps out suddenly with a beautiful display of a simple tree whose branches reach outward to the setting sun.  Beneath the tree a lone crane stands basking in the glory of the sun's majesty while awaiting the cool breeze of the moon's arrival.  Though painted in the soft colors of white and blue, the glory of the sun is given over toward the colors of a passionate end.  Eyes painted and demure peer at the Unicorn over the edge of the fan.  A slight gesture is given as if cooling herself from the warm weather.

"So harsh my friend.  Do be mindful that some dogs are best brought to heel with other methods.  Come along now we will miss the night's festivities."

Pumpkin Seeds

Katina Tarask

The walk begins as the artist admires her handiwork in the magnificent fan before unfolding her own sister fan in a slower, more deliberate action.  Made immediately after the one her companion bears, this one is of the rising sun gathers its light at the edges, shining down on a slumbering crane about to stir.  This folded piece of paper forms an impenetrable barrier of manners behind which comes the conspiratorial tone of the gossip.

"It pleases me that you favor my gift, though I must insist on my methods.  At worst, I break the beast, but he is still useful.  The softer approach may end with our poor hound full of himself.  Or perhaps my dear Doji-san full of himself.  Night's festivities indeed."

BraveEarth

Quote from: Fiver214 on March 11, 2013, 08:36:36 PM
Made the roll using E's dicebot. 1 and 10 [total of 11].

Also, my character's a Water Affinity. It's shown in the Spells area of his sheet.

While researching powerful new magics, your ancestor disappeared in a l ash of light, taking his notes with him. The Kitsu
have determined his soul never made it to Meido. No one has been able to duplicate his work or determine where he has gone.
Your family is obsessed with hunting for him; you gain the Consumed by Knowledge Disadvantage

Quote from: Katina Tarask on March 11, 2013, 09:22:50 PM
That seems less simple. ^^U

Anyways, 10, 7.  +1 Investigation, Contrary.

Is that applied at the beginning or at the end?
Unicorn Right?

Your ancestor was a highly successful merchant in foreign lands. You inherited a strange artifact from him, but no one has
any idea what it does.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 11, 2013, 11:41:27 PM
How are we handing Heritage rolls?

If you have the Heritage Tables in The Great Clans book you can do them yourself I'm merely helping those that do not have access.

BraveEarth

Quote from: Katina Tarask on March 11, 2013, 04:54:18 PM
You can't take void spells unless you take Ishiken-do and you don't have a listed affinity.  You can take second-level spells of your affinity.

Anyways, for Kakita Artisan, would you be willing to either rule that Perform: Storytelling covers story writing as well, or allow Artisan: Writing to be added to the Kakita Artisan list of options?  I'd like to live the rockstar double life of a celebrity pillowbook artist/secret agent. :P

Also, for a Servant, would you allow Calligraphy as the Artisan skill for an Artisan?  I need someone to write pretty to spread my pillowbooks.This game is shaping up to be positively Cranetastic, to the point it's shorter to list the Crane schools we don't have.

Asahina Shugenja, Daidoji Scout (though this one, we should probably keep that way), Doji Magistrate.

If you want a writer I would suggest a combination of Artisan Poetry, Perform: Oratory and Perform: Storytelling. But I would allow Poetry to include writing.  As for Servants as long as you aren't trying to get them to be breaking ciphers I see no problem with that.

I will say we are lacking Bushi and I kind of wanted to see (not expecting just wanted) a Mantis, or Crab.

kckolbe

I got a weird heritage result.  "7, 10 Your ancestor met a jinn while wandering the Burning Sands. They had a long and fruitful affair. You occasionally have
strange urges and odd dreams…"

I am also willing to modify him slightly to allow him to take up more of a bushi role as we progress.  He is very moldable.

Intro Thread

ofDelusions

Do we have to roll Heritage? I hate to be this blunt, but it is the second worst character creation system I have ever seen. The worst was of course FATAL and even that one didn't have random rolls affect characters personality IIRC.

Katina Tarask

Quote from: BraveEarth on March 12, 2013, 03:09:22 AMUnicorn Right?

Your ancestor was a highly successful merchant in foreign lands. You inherited a strange artifact from him, but no one has
any idea what it does.
No.  Crane.  And I told you what it does; +1 Investigation, Contrary.  Does that +1 apply at the beginning or the end?

kckolbe

By the way, as I was considering my character's weaknesses, I thought of a disadvantage that I am not sure how to handle mechanically.  I would like him to be easier to read, as his facial expressions give him away.  I was thinking of a disadvantage called Easy Read, and gives opponents +1k1 to determine desires and such.  Would that sound good for a 2 point disadvantage?

Intro Thread

BraveEarth

Quote from: Katina Tarask on March 12, 2013, 10:23:52 AM
No.  Crane.  And I told you what it does; +1 Investigation, Contrary.  Does that +1 apply at the beginning or the end?
End for the Contray Disadvantage beginning for the Rank

BraveEarth

Quote from: ofDelusions on March 12, 2013, 08:30:16 AM
Do we have to roll Heritage? I hate to be this blunt, but it is the second worst character creation system I have ever seen. The worst was of course FATAL and even that one didn't have random rolls affect characters personality IIRC.

You do have to in this game. I don't understand what you mean by a bad character gen. The Heritage Tables are a gamble yes. If you are really displeased then you can re roll once. Throwing a bit of random into a very unrandom character creation won't kill everything.

ofDelusions

Quote from: BraveEarth on March 12, 2013, 03:55:25 PM
You do have to in this game. I don't understand what you mean by a bad character gen. The Heritage Tables are a gamble yes. If you are really displeased then you can re roll once. Throwing a bit of random into a very unrandom character creation won't kill everything.

Well bit of randomness isn't bad. What I dislike is when character personality can be determinated randomly. Besides some of those (most actually) have really flimsy logic.

Anyway I rolled 6 and 5 which allows me to buy precise memory for 2 less points, which I won't take anyway so it doesn't matter really.

kckolbe

Well, you dodged a bullet there.  Good job. 

Intro Thread

ofDelusions

Pumpkin Seeds

Are there any GM advised purchases for Allies and/or Darling of the Court?

Such as any particular groups you would recommend or advise us to be familiar with dealing with in your game?