Aetherpunk (Steampunk, Freeform, LGBT Friendly)

Started by Crash, July 13, 2014, 12:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I agree, and I would have jumped on it, but my current life situation has not been kind to my muse.

Vill

Quote from: Karma on August 18, 2014, 11:12:25 PM
I agree, and I would have jumped on it, but my current life situation has not been kind to my muse.

That's too bad. Hopefully your muse catches a break.

I'm going to be applying to join the plot. Hopefully some others join, too.

Madame Professor

Quote from: Saric on August 18, 2014, 05:36:09 PM
Lighting cannons, inferno pistols, and fun with super-magnets was more what I was thinking in terms of 'Mad Science!'. I've got a couple of ideas bubbling away but this one would be the kind of guy who invents a ray gun and simply has to test it out on a real target... only to stop and start tinkering with it in the middle of a firefight. XD

Alchemy can go several different ways depending on what you'd allow; potions and elixirs that strengthen you temporarily at the cost of a prolonged weakness; extracts and 'essences' that allow you to make salves that heal or temporarily animate objects with the 'essence' of life, or a glass ball that glows continuously because it contains the 'essence' of light; or the more extreme type that gets into the creation of homunculi, elemental conversion (the whole lead to gold thing), or the philosopher's stone. Obviously the last sort is unlikely but the potions and extracts have effects close enough to what could be accomplished by more ordinary 'science' for there to be doubt about the legitimacy of his work. After all, how do you tell the difference between a glass ball containing the 'essence of light', a lightbulb containing a noble gas, or a sphere containing some slow chemical reaction? Or the difference between a potion that triples your strength or speed for fifteen minutes only to leave you weak or slowed for an hour or two and some mixture of drugs like opium and caffeine? It would have more obvious effects, but the very nature of those effects would raise doubt as to the true method being used to achieve them. A character working the Alchemy angle would likely be an artillerist, whose always coming up with new shells or warheads, but whom can be counted on for a vial of smokescreen or sleeping gas when things get up close and personal.

Thoughts?

I love the alchemy idea. That is a lot in line of what I was thinking and hoping you were, too. I would say things like the homunculi and the philosopher's stone would be too much, naturally. But definitely potions and elixirs are acceptable! There are Aether infused drugs that ave terrible side effects, but I would see an alchemist being able to more refine it, and other elements, for a specific purpose rather than a high for mass market.

That said... as far as the scientist is concerned, I think a ray gun is a bit too much, a bit out of scope for the game. You could work something with a similar effect with a high velocity rifle and venom or acid like substance.. but lasers are a bit to high tech. Electricity is rare in the setting, almost non existent. Most things are run on steam from coals or aether, or a combination of the two and most of your lighting is done by oil lamps or candles.
The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Madame Professor

Quote from: Kuroneko on August 18, 2014, 06:16:17 PM
Okay, so I finally read everything, including the one mystic bio, since that's the needed/wanted character that jumped out at me, and I understand the kind of flavor that you're looking for with Taoism, Voodun and Victorian spirituality. I guess my only real question is, that character sheet was very specific on what that character could do, so are you looking for that kind of specificity or is there room for a little mystery and reputation to get a person hired?

Basically, what Karma said. So long as it is made clear what you are intending on your character to be able to do, you don't have to have a detailed list of abilities. You are more tan welcome to add it in, if it helps you at all, of course!
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Madame Professor

Quote from: Vill on August 18, 2014, 10:47:59 PM
Madam professor has posted the perfect plot for two mystics in the plot thread!

Quote from: Karma on August 18, 2014, 11:12:25 PM

It's a shame, too, as I had characters like Karlotta in mind when I created it!

But I'll be making an announcement in the OOC soon, to see if there are any more takers... I think Artemis might have just the new character for this type of thing, too.

Saric

Quote from: Madame Professor on August 19, 2014, 12:09:49 AM
I love the alchemy idea. That is a lot in line of what I was thinking and hoping you were, too. I would say things like the homunculi and the philosopher's stone would be too much, naturally. But definitely potions and elixirs are acceptable! There are Aether infused drugs that ave terrible side effects, but I would see an alchemist being able to more refine it, and other elements, for a specific purpose rather than a high for mass market.

That said... as far as the scientist is concerned, I think a ray gun is a bit too much, a bit out of scope for the game. You could work something with a similar effect with a high velocity rifle and venom or acid like substance.. but lasers are a bit to high tech. Electricity is rare in the setting, almost non existent. Most things are run on steam from coals or aether, or a combination of the two and most of your lighting is done by oil lamps or candles.

If the Alchemy works I'll start working up a character sheet and we'll see how that looks. At least it seems there will be plenty of interest in the concoctions that he cooks up! ;D

I wasn't thinking of lasers at all, not unless a series of giant, Aether infused, lenses is involved. Lighting cannons or 'ray' guns would be large bulky devices, powered by a dedicated steam engine, and involve long recharge times and many blown fuses. Also an abundance of Tesla coils... because Tesla. :P I can produce steampunk pseudo-science as needed. But really that was more a oversimplification for the flavor of character; I can avoid ray guns in favor of super-magnet grapples, rotary pneumatic cannons, and hydraulic boots.

Yes, you read that right. Hydraulic boots. Don't test me, I can and will come up with a legitimate reason to invent these if needed. I have the insanity! ;D

P.S. I think I'm running the Alchemist first. I can hash out my Madboy later, once I have a personality established in my head and if it looks like I can run two characters without loosing quality.

Edit: Anyone have any good pictures to recommend? As both an Alchemist and an Artillerist anything with lots of flasks/vials/bottles or explosives would be appropriate. I'd prefer a relatively young male but at this point I'm losing hope of finding anything that close to my goal.
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Vill

It's with all the other links on the first page of this thread. I'm walking to the store real quick, but if you don't find it by the time I'm back I'll link it to you. I'm on my smarter than me phone, so I can't post it just yet.

Kuroneko

Hazy Sky

Saric, it's multiple gas cells so that a single leak can't cause the entire envelope of gas to be lost and for the Comet the gas is centralised within the hull as is normal for a rigid airship. The unusual part of the Comet is the propulsion system which are high pressure super saturated steam turbines.
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB

Vill

Madame Professor

Sounds good, Saric.

And I might have a few to suggest... If you haven't found anything by this evening, I'll send you a few. ;D

Kuroneko

As interesting as this game sounds, I think with my semester starting in two weeks and teaching an extra class that it's just going to be too much for me. Have fun everyone.

Madame Professor

Quote from: Kuroneko on August 19, 2014, 08:48:05 PM
As interesting as this game sounds, I think with my semester starting in two weeks and teaching an extra class that it's just going to be too much for me. Have fun everyone.

I completely understand, no worries! And if you think you have the time, you are always welcome to submit a character, sweetie. :-)

Vill

Quote from: Kuroneko on August 19, 2014, 08:48:05 PM

Sorry to lose you Kuroneko.

I, on the other hand, have dropped out of school, and left my wife, kids and job so that I can commit full time.

Dedicated, baby.

;)

Saric

Quote from: Madame Professor on August 19, 2014, 08:33:41 AM
Sounds good, Saric.

And I might have a few to suggest... If you haven't found anything by this evening, I'll send you a few. ;D

That would be fantastic! Also I've got the rest of a character sheet, less the description, filled out. Should I post that here or do I send it to someone for review?
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Vill

Quote from: Saric on August 19, 2014, 10:15:09 PM
That would be fantastic! Also I've got the rest of a character sheet, less the description, filled out. Should I post that here or do I send it to someone for review?

Shoot that bad boy over to Madam Professor, if I'm not mistaken.

Madame Professor

Saric- Here are just a few I found in a quick search I had saved I thought might fit an Alchemist as you have described. but other searches on tumblr and pinterest might yield you more results.

Faces

And once you are finish, you can send it to myself, Karma, and Consortium11 for final approval. :-)

Saric

Preliminary character submission away!

Now I just have to wait to find out what I did wrong...
>.>
<.<

Madame Professor

We are still recruiting for a second ship!

Want to run a crew of scalawags? Want to sail the high skies, robbing cruise liners, living the life of a pirate?
Not interested in robbing folks blind or aerial combat? That's okay! Aetherpunk is more than pirates! All of 1869, San Francisco is at your fingertips! We have a great group of writers and the possibilities are endless!

Rel Mayer

I'm possibly interested!

(It's always a bit intimidating to enter a game that has already been established and going for a bit, but the game looks like a lot of fun!)

I'm going to read through a bit of the character threads and some of the IC threads before I fully commit though. :)

Madame Professor

I can certainly understand that! That's one of the great things about this game, it's very sandbox! There are plenty of chances to join in the fun, with lots of options!

There are a few plots that haven't even started up yet, and I have one in mind I need to flush out the details for as well.

Please let me know if you have any questions. For the most part, the characters in the OP are the active ones. We are about to revamp the Character sheet thread to clean it up, so if you have an idea, fill free to throw it out there. :-)

la dame en noir

Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Madame Professor

Hazy Sky

Hey Rel and Nubian.
I'm running the Captain of the airship that is currently in game. We do have several vacancies in the crew if you're looking for a character role and a bunch of friendly and interesting characters to interact with.
If I can help you or you want to ask any questions please do so here or drop me a PM.
Skyre
Looking for and accepting new stories.

Current earworms
Kallax
The Midnight
WOLFCLUB