The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

I recently restarted completely (cleared all old save files to start back at 001) because of Morthal. The Thane helping-people quest screwed up and, in trying to fix that, I apparently broke something else because a courier showed up to give me a note from a friend about some phial getting repaired. I had no idea who the guy sending the note was, nor who he was referring to in his message, much less what the white phial is. :|

*sigh* Dammit, Bethesda.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Braioch

Quote from: Shjade on December 02, 2011, 12:19:25 AM
I recently restarted completely (cleared all old save files to start back at 001) because of Morthal. The Thane helping-people quest screwed up and, in trying to fix that, I apparently broke something else because a courier showed up to give me a note from a friend about some phial getting repaired. I had no idea who the guy sending the note was, nor who he was referring to in his message, much less what the white phial is. :|

*sigh* Dammit, Bethesda.

To answer that question, you were looking for the Assistant at the Apothecary shop in Windhelm >.>
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Shjade

Oh, the note and quest said where to find him. They just didn't explain why he was sending me a courier with a letter that seemed to suggest I'd already done a job for him and he wanted me to help him with what came next when I'd never spoken to the man before.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Welcome to the wild wonderful world of Bethesda games!

Now if Giants would stop beelining to me and sending my ebony plated ass into LTO. (Low Tamriel Orbit)
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

consortium11

Personal frustration.

One of the reasons given for removing spell creation was that it broke by the game by making it too easy (and you didn't need to be 100% chameleon cheap to exploit it).

But then Skyrim has the likes of smithing and alchemy, which can make the game ludicrously easy...

Slywyn

Quote from: consortium11 on December 05, 2011, 06:31:44 PM
Personal frustration.

One of the reasons given for removing spell creation was that it broke by the game by making it too easy (and you didn't need to be 100% chameleon cheap to exploit it).

But then Skyrim has the likes of smithing and alchemy, which can make the game ludicrously easy...

At least you have to actually level those for them to be any good?
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on December 05, 2011, 06:26:25 PM
Welcome to the wild wonderful world of Bethesda games!

Now if Giants would stop beelining to me and sending my ebony plated ass into LTO. (Low Tamriel Orbit)

Improve that ebony more. I can go toe-to-toe with two giants at a time in my ebony plate and shrug off the thumping.

Consortium: playing on Master helps. Mages in particular get nasty on Master unless you stack 50+% resistance to everything, which takes at least three enchants dedicated to magic resistance to do.
◕/◕'s

Braioch

Quote from: Shjade on December 05, 2011, 08:36:21 PM
Improve that ebony more. I can go toe-to-toe with two giants at a time in my ebony plate and shrug off the thumping.

Consortium: playing on Master helps. Mages in particular get nasty on Master unless you stack 50+% resistance to everything, which takes at least three enchants dedicated to magic resistance to do.

Mages are already nasty on Adept >.>
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Shjade

So it turns out you can't give Aela an improved version of her Ancient Nord armor to wear; she just won't wear another version of the same kind of armor, no matter how much better than her default armor it is. Dis make me sad. :|
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

Can't, I've got it maxed at Legendary, and I have 100 Smithing.  I should, I suppose, put points into Heavy Armour, ne?

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Tsenta

First heavy armor perk taken 5 times = 100% more armor.  Then you can actually make fortify smithing gear, fortify smithing potions. Stack the two, THEN upgrade.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Chris Brady

There's higher than Legendary???

Tsenta

Naw but the higher your smithing, the higher bonuses given. So you'd still make legendary but with higher bonuses.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Shjade

Yeah, there are elixirs and such that simply make your improvements x% better. Unfortunately if you made improvements at 100 skill already you'd have to use such potions on new armor - it won't let you re-improve them at 100 skill.
◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Saw a dragon get pwned by a giant. ;3 Dragon flew down attacking Giant's little pet animal things and Giant ended up slaughtering, said, dragon.

Anywho, how do you raise your speechcraft!? T_T

I been enchanting things/selling things/buying things and it hardly goes up. Right now speech is only at 33.(Ironically the same as my character level on game) ;/ Only times I seen it raise was with choices when talking to NPCs.

It feels like the hardest skill to level when you take into account how easy smithing/enhanting is, got them both at 71. (Since I just spam making leather bracers/iron daggers and enchanting them/selling them) Azure's Star helps too with enchanting, nom-nom-nom black souls. ;3 *Will never have to buy soul gems again*

I do have one problem with Skyrim, I wished they brought back the shurikens(Morrowind) had. ;(

And there is also no Unarmed combat skill(well techinally there is, but not one you can level.) :( I guess they couldn't create special kicks or other martial arts unarmed combos.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Shjade

Morrowind had shuriken? Hunh.

Speechcraft goes up when the following happens:
You sell an item
You buy an item
You successfully persuade someone
You successfully intimidate someone

Basically if you want to powerlevel speech (without exploits) you buy and sell a lot. Not sure if the value of the item being bought/sold matters.

If you don't mind using exploits, go to Riften in the evening and hop into the Black-Briar Meadery. Look for the wood elf bartender there (I forget his name) and ask him about Maven Black-Briar. Bribe him the first time the option comes up; after that use the Persuade option. These options never go away even after you use them, so just keep spamming that Persuade conversation option for as much speech skill as you want for as long as you can stand clicking text.
◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Morrowind had shurikens. But I think they were called throwing knives.. Shuriken/throwing knife, same difference. xD Linkie Throwing Weapons

Hmmm.. Odd.. It must take a long time then, because I been buying/selling a lot. Too lazy to farm for ore so I buy it from shop keepers, the same with the soul gems. I also sell clothes I enchanted/weapons/armor/whatever and through all that to get to 71 on enchant/smithing my speechcraft is just 33. >.<`

Speech was easier in Oblivion with the circle dialogue thing, I wonder why they took that feature out. ;/

Drake to exploit away!

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Slywyn

Quote from: Shjade on December 06, 2011, 11:25:56 AM
Yeah, there are elixirs and such that simply make your improvements x% better. Unfortunately if you made improvements at 100 skill already you'd have to use such potions on new armor - it won't let you re-improve them at 100 skill.

Actually yes it will. You just actually have to have the potions active at the time. I've improved my glass armor multiple times, and I'm at 100 smithing. Varying degrees of potions.

Quote from: Drake Valentine on December 06, 2011, 01:09:52 PM
Morrowind had shurikens. But I think they were called throwing knives.. Shuriken/throwing knife, same difference. xD Linkie Throwing Weapons

Hmmm.. Odd.. It must take a long time then, because I been buying/selling a lot. Too lazy to farm for ore so I buy it from shop keepers, the same with the soul gems. I also sell clothes I enchanted/weapons/armor/whatever and through all that to get to 71 on enchant/smithing my speechcraft is just 33. >.<`

Speech was easier in Oblivion with the circle dialogue thing, I wonder why they took that feature out. ;/

Drake to exploit away!

The value of your sold item matters. So if you're selling stuff at 3g it'll only go up a little. Also selling things in bulk only gives you experience for the cost of a single item. It's better to sell each one separately.
What Makes A Shark Tick ( o/o's )

"True friendship is when you walk into their house and your WiFi automatically connects." - The Internet, Probably

I'm just the silliest, friendliest little shark that ever did. Sure, I have all these teeth but I don't bite... much.

consortium11

Quote from: Spectfade on December 05, 2011, 08:26:33 PM
At least you have to actually level those for them to be any good?

You also had to level the relevant magic skills to be able to create the uber-powered spells of Oblivion though... especially if you wanted something like the chameleon suit (which has seen the entire power removed) or the most overpowered spells early on.

Both spell creation in Oblivion and alchemy/smithing in Skyrim make the game almost redundantly easy if exploited even a little... my frustration is in removing one for that reason but actually powering up the other. As things stand in a power-playing sense someone using weapons has a big edge over a magic user.

It also brings up another problem that seems to have afflicted a lot of modern RPGs (and I'm looking at Dragon Age 2 as the most obvious culprit). "Named" or special items can quickly find themselves completely underpowered compared to a modified generic item... which seems to me to be pretty unsatisfying and can wreck havoc with lore.

Or you could just use a couple of potions...

Master only remains a challenge early in the game... by around level 30, even non-exploiting, the poor balance and sometimes horrible AI and attack animations make it pretty easy. Even on Master it's not like it's impossible to two or three shot most creatures if you're using enchanting and smithing to their full effect.

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Shjade on December 06, 2011, 03:51:47 AM
So it turns out you can't give Aela an improved version of her Ancient Nord armor to wear; she just won't wear another version of the same kind of armor, no matter how much better than her default armor it is. Dis make me sad. :|

If you're not against console sheenanigans, you could try removing the suit she wears from her inventory and then giving her an improved one.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Shjade

Quote from: Cold Heritage on December 06, 2011, 05:53:49 PM
If you're not against console sheenanigans, you could try removing the suit she wears from her inventory and then giving her an improved one.
Tried that. Her suit is invisible in her inventory, so I can make her remove it, but can't make her actually DROP it, so she just puts it back on when I give her my armor. :|

Spect: sure, you can kill things in two or three hits. On the other hand, they can kill you in two or three hits, too. Or one hit. With this magic resistance bug I'm getting regularly one-shot by boss mages, and even run of the mill master mages hurt quite a bit. I killed a Volkihar Master Vampire by the skin of my teeth through all his draining and lightning blasts after attempting it five or six times in miserable failure, and I'm at level...39, 40, something like that.

Most of the game's enemies will eventually become fodder if you invest heavily in combat perks, yes. But then, that's the point of investing heavily in combat perks, so...I can't say I see the problem. If the game's too easy for you, specialize in lockpicking/pickpocketing/speech?
◕/◕'s

Cold Heritage

Hmm. Too bad. I thought removeallitems (or something along those lines) would do the trick, but it seems like some of the companions respawn their default outfits.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Ironwolf85

there are the occasional bugs, but overall tthe game is fantastic I have to keep away from it sometimes because I'll loose track of time and play till 3:00 in the morning, I'm trying out diffrent styles now. ti seems they incorprated somthing for everyone and every playstyle, my two main guys are blast to play.
There's just so much to do and explore, so mucn to have fun doing, sure I find the occasional glitch sich as items that don't remove from my inventory, or I couldn't complete the repair quest for the white phile because I already had a briar heart in my inventory but that's okay, it's why I started a second game and why I'm still having a blast.
Rajjal the kajit is a whirling dervish of death, but has to play it tactically, sneaky, especally against the heavies, but I find out a lot of details, and do sidequests with him that Dramic just smashed through ot missed completely.
while Dramic Silverscale my argonian can go toe to toe with a giant or dragon and tear their lungs out with is armored fist, has nothing to fear from almost anything in skyrim.
with the exception of the occasional underground bug, Master mage (gawd why do they always have robes... get some damn steel or at least leather, then you might survive my first swing, it's getting in there that is a hassle) or dwemer trap, those things are nasty.
I LOVE THIS GAME!
/fangushing
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

Chris Brady

I have a question.

What's a Waifu?

Shjade

Faux-accented way of saying "wife."

For details, see here. Note, Encyclopedia Dramatica is not for everyone. View with caution.
◕/◕'s