The Hunt for Damien Nightstrider(DnD 3.5 High to Epic Level)[Currently Full]

Started by Mystic Dragon, February 18, 2009, 06:16:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myrleena

Wonderful book, the Magic Item Compendium.  What with all the new spells, I've only found a Sorcerer worthwhile if you pick up a Runestaff.  I absolutely love them.  On the other hand, I'm waiting to get my cohort until I have Epic Leadership, since I can just summon them in...

Sonja

Arrrgh so many choices...  Does anyone know if there's like a random chargen table that includes the whole span of possibilities?

Myrleena

Uhh, not that I know of, but they have a ton of tables to help you build a PC quickly in the back of the Players Handbook 2.  I'd look at that if I were you.  They have suggested spells, equipment, and a bunch of other things.

Mnemaxa

Jessamyn Wyrm-Blooded
Click Picture for Myth-Weaver's Character Sheet

Jessamyn is a monster.

While most people would state that being evil is often monstrous, or that the practitioners of unnatural psychic powers are monsters, in Jessamyn's case the appellation of 'monster' is quite literal.  When she was human, she exemplified the traits of humanity that makes them interesting to other races: a verve for life, inquisitiveness, an endless willingness to risk life and limb for the sake of personal growth and knowledge, with the ideals of treasure and power being secondary to enjoyment of life.  her activities caught the attention of a secretive race of psychic humanoids who were once human as well, and she was brought into the fold of the Elan. 

Through a powerful series of rituals and potent infusions of psychic energy, Jessamyn was transformed from a human into an Elan; unaging, psychically empowered humans who share the same zest for life and desire for adventure she herself did.  It did not matter that she was amoral and unethical, only that she sought to learn and grow and explore.  Since all her previous experiences were wiped clean from her new mind and body - though she retained her identity and sense of self - she sought out other, older masters of the Elan, and learned from them the basics of power and self defense.  With as much intensity and will as she applied herself to all her previous endeavors, so did Jessamyn apply herself to her new existence. 

Now, Jesaamyn is old.  She has watched a generation of elves pass, and the growth of another, and the birth of a new generation, a claim only the most ancient elves could make.  She has traveled back and forth across the continent, made friends with family lineages of dwarfs, learned secrets for the gnomes, and spoken to great dragons.  She has explored- and continues to explore - every aspect of her psyche, no matter how deviant or depraved it might be to others, as well as every aspect of her noble soul.  While Wyrm-Blooded Jessamyn could have attained even greater power than she already has, her efforts to refine and perfect herself have taken the expenditure of massive amounts of psychic and spiritual energy; so much that has she not expended it she would have attained some form of demigoddess stature.

When she attained the power of Psychic Reformation, she altered her own mind and past experiences, remaking herself into variations on a theme and exploring avenues of potential that are forever bared to most humans.  When she achieved even greater power, she added to herself powers that could be made permanent, sacrificing her spiritual energies and psychic power to imprint and weld many psychic senses and protections to her own body and mind.  When she had finished she cast the powers away, changing her abilities and capabilities to others for further exploration.

Currently Jessamyn has been associating with a powerful guild of thieves and assassins, offering her unique services to their causes and amusing herself in the meantime.  Her unusual powers make her an asset to be handled carefully, and while the offer of a vast sum of gold was useful in requesting her help to capture the elusive Damien Nightstrider, it is clear that her objectives - as they have always been - are her own, and have a great deal less to do with money than they do with utilizing her powers and intellect to outwit someone who has escaped the attentions of an entire continent's worth of thieves' guilds....

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

PhantomPistoleer

Question:

Can you use a Ring of Three wishes to acquire feats?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Josietta

I'm sure you could, but as with most wish items you have to word it correctly to get the outcome you desire or the GM can use it against you.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Mnemaxa

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on February 25, 2009, 12:40:48 AM
Question:

Can you use a Ring of Three wishes to acquire feats?

As a general rule, yes, however you must also qualify for the feat or you will not be able to use it.  If your int is 10, and you have a magic item that gives you +6 to int, and you wish for Combat Expertise, you will gain the feat and be able to use it - unless you no longer have the item, and thus no longer qualify for the feat.  You still have the feat, you are just unable to use it until such time as you meet the prerequisite. 

That of course, is standard Rules Compendium stuff, and has no bearing on Mystic Dragon's take on it.

(Edited as per rules. :P  )

The Well of my Dreams is Poisoned; I draw off the Poison, which becomes the Ink of my Authorship, the Paint upon my Brush.

Zaer Darkwail

Note; Combat Expertise asks base 13 Int. Also magic items do not help qualify for feats so far as I know. But wish allows get additional feats but with a cost I think. Either XP, statical loss (-1 to Str example).

Mnemaxa

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 25, 2009, 12:53:55 AM
Note; Combat Expertise asks base 13 Int. Also magic items do not help qualify for feats so far as I know. But wish allows get additional feats but with a cost I think. Either XP, statical loss (-1 to Str example).

A magic item can't allow you to qualify for a feat, but they will allow you to use a feat you already have (through wish or class gain) if you otherwise do not meet the prerequisites. It's a rare situation but it can occur, usually in reverse as stat-damaging effects lower your stats below what is necessary to use the feat.

PhantomPistoleer

All right;  I decided to instead to multiclass, I was just going to go straight rogue (he'll still be an assassin).

Nemo the Assassin [Rogue 16]: CR 16; Medium-size Human; HD 16d6+80; HP 176; Init +11; Spd 30 ft.; DR 15/Adamantine; Defense 40, touch 24, flat-footed 35  (Armor 10 + Shield 6 + Dex 5 + Deflection 5 + Natural 5); BAB +12/+7/+2; Grap +21; +27/+22/+17 Katana (1d10+19 1d6 fire damage, 18-20/x2 critical +1d10 fire damage), +22/+17/+12 Composite Shortbow (1d6+7, x3 crit., 140 ft.); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; AL Chaotic Evil; SV Fort +15, Ref +20, Will +15; Str 28, Dex 20, Con 20, Int 20, Wis 20, Cha 20.
  Skills:  Balance 40, Bluff 15; Climb 43; Disable Device 20; Disguise 9; Escape Artist 21; Gather Information 9; Hide 39; Intimidate 9; Jump 38; Listen 30; Move Silently 39; Open Lock 20 (24 w/ lock tools); Search 25; Sense Motive 10; Sleight of Hand 10; Spot 25; Swim 18; Tumble 40;  Use Rope 10;
  Languages: Draconic, Elven, Infernal, Goblin.
  Feats:  Combat Expertise, Combat Reflexes, Diehard, Dodge, Endurance, Improved Initiative, Mobility, Quickdraw, Spring Attack, Weapon Focus (Katana), Whirlwind Attack;
  Weapon Proficiencies: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Katana), Simple Weapon Proficiency, Rapier, Sap, Shortbow;
  Special Abilities:  Defensive Roll, Improved Evasion, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Opportunist, Sneak Attack +8d6, Trapfinding, Trapsense;
  Item Abilities:  Darkvision (60 ft.), Haste 3/day, Leap of the Heavens
  Flaws:  Shaky (-2 to ranged combat), Flaw:  Slow (15 ft.)
  Traits:  Dishonest:  (+1 to Bluff, -2 to Diplomacy), Aggressive:  (+2 to Initiative, -1 to AC)

Possessions:

Weapons
Eye of Fate Intelligent Enchanted Bastard Sword; Traits: Keen, Mighty Cleaving, Ghost Touch, Flaming Burst; AL Chaotic Evil; INT 16, WIS 16, CHA 10; Speech, Telepathy; SP AB Deathwatch, Spot +10, Listen +10.
Composite Shortbow (STR +2) +5; Traits Brilliant Energy, Distance, Seeking

Armor
Enchanted Heavily Fortified Mithral Breastplate +5 with Greater Silent Moves and Hide
Magical Darkwood Buckler +5

Equipment
Boots of Swiftness
Belt of Giant's Strength +6
Cloak of Resistance +5
Helm of Wisdom +6
Ring of Protection +5
Ring of Iron Skin: 15/adamatine
Amulet of Natural Armor +5
Gloves of Swimming and Climbing
Bracers of Greater Archery
Vest of Escape
Goggles of Night

Potions
Cure Serious Wounds +10

Items
Bag of Holding (1000 lbs.)

Rod
Rod of Lordly Might
Rod of Alertness
Rod of Security
Rod of Immovability x4

Purse
3000 GP

Used Items
Manual of Bodily Health +4
Manual of Quickness of Action +5
Tome of Understanding +2
Manual of Charisma +4
Ring of Three Wishes

Oi.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mystic Dragon

Regarding wishes for feats, please direct me to the proper resources that state you can do that and the consequences. If they are basically just the cost of the wish, I'm going to have to say no or bump the cost up in some way.

If you are having troubles getting all the feats you want, Pistoleer, recall that you can trade your sneak attacks for fighter feats.
"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici"
"In our world, all the Redheads have chainsaws"
"Nightmares never last. One day you wake up and they're gone"

PhantomPistoleer

Work it out, peoples! :D

What if the cost of a feat was TWO wishes?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mystic Dragon

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on February 25, 2009, 12:37:00 PM
Work it out, peoples! :D

What if the cost of a feat was TWO wishes?

No, no no...the problem is that if I give you the option of gold for feats, we'll quickly be in the realm of uncoolness. On the other hand, if I give you the option to burn 2 wishes of your own Exp, even though that will kill you in progression, it could still give you too many advantages.

What are you willing to give up for your feats? If it doesn't hurt you significantly(Feats being worth more than anything), then the answer is no.

Sunday

working on my character.... recycling an old one and I'm starting to think I may need to rename him. I named him Nero after a roman emperor. But I think it'll get confusing with a Nemo about xD. But there are plenty of other dead rulers to steal names from ^^

PhantomPistoleer

Hmm.  Per wish for feat, I could lose 10 HP?  So for the three, I would pay 30 HP?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mystic Dragon

When you bought a tome that gave you 4 per level? Just lose 3 sneak attack dice- simple.

PhantomPistoleer

It's not a situation where I NEED those feats, Mystic, it's just that I have 100K leftover and have nothing to do with it creatively except purchasing a Ring of Three Wishes.  Now if I were to use the Ring of Three wishes to earn the feat, and lose sneak attack damage dies, I am losing 100K because I know that I can use the Unearthed Arcana rules to modify the Rogue Class.

But, if I were to just use the Unearthed Arcana without using the Ring of Three Wishes, I would still have the Ring of Three Wishes.  See?

What if, instead of saying that the feats belong to me, I just wished them upon the sword?  That way, I would have to be holding unto the sword for the feats to be active?
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Mystic Dragon

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on February 25, 2009, 04:25:10 PM
It's not a situation where I NEED those feats, Mystic, it's just that I have 100K leftover and have nothing to do with it creatively except purchasing a Ring of Three Wishes.  Now if I were to use the Ring of Three wishes to earn the feat, and lose sneak attack damage dies, I am losing 100K because I know that I can use the Unearthed Arcana rules to modify the Rogue Class.

But, if I were to just use the Unearthed Arcana without using the Ring of Three Wishes, I would still have the Ring of Three Wishes.  See?

What if, instead of saying that the feats belong to me, I just wished them upon the sword?  That way, I would have to be holding unto the sword for the feats to be active?

Ok, let's take a step back here- you have money to spend, and can't find ANYTHING to spend it on?

Well, what feats do you want and maybe we can find a cash equivalently item. Absolutely not to simply casting wish and getting a feat- I'd have to allow that for NPCs too to keep the balance point, and you wouldn't want to see some of those people in you adventuring life.

PhantomPistoleer

I only have access to the D20 SRD right now, so yeah, the stuff I can buy is pretty limited.

As for what I had chosen as the feats earned through wishes were Diehard, Improved Initiative and Quick Draw.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Delta Echo

I have all the Completes except Mage and Champion, and made a list of body-slot items by slot, including several other books as well - I can PM the list to anybody who wants it.
O&O - A&A
Southern Gentleman of the Arcadia Clan.

"When the world is against you, find the passion of love to survive"

MzNurse

*jumping up and down and waving hands in air* Oh! OH! OH!  ME! ME! ME!

ahem...I mean... *sits demurely* would you mind to please send me a copy please, Mr. Delta, Sir?
Mz's O.O   Mz's Downtimes   Story Ideas  Open for a few new rps. PM me.

stellaru

Oh darn I just realized that I haven't put up my character yet for anyone else to see. I'll fix that right now.

My character is Daken Sato, a male 27 year old human. He is a 12th level Ninja/ 4th level Master Thrower with a True Neutral alignment.

Below is Daken’s background told from his perspective:

I am an artist.

It is my duty to truthfully represent this world, to the best of my ability, through my art. The world, however, the entire world is far too broad of a focus for a single artist to handle. So, I have narrowed my personal focus to that of “the human (or dwarf or elf or teifling, etc…) experience” and all of its facets. To fully understand the entire significance of that last statement, I think I should tell you a little something of my past.

My parents were members of the Sato ninjas, which makes me a Sato ninja by blood. I lived with my parents in the small Sato clan village for the first 18 years of my life. Like all the children of the village, I was trained in the ninja arts, meditation, and the use of my ki so that one day I could join the adults in the missions that the village is contracted to perform.

The life of a ninja is a fascinating dichotomy: violence, subterfuge, and brutal assassinations vs. calm, focused meditation and inner peace. My notice and intense interest in this relationship was what sparked my fascination with the full extent of “the human experience”. The fact that these two conflicting aspects can coexist in someone’s life made me wonder what other aspects can coexist in life. I began to think on this a lot.

But I was frustrated.  I wanted to do more than just ponder these conflicting aspects of life; I wanted to illustrate them and it would be art that would provide me that opportunity. One of the elderly men of the village had a few books on art and some supplies which he was willing to let me use. I took to art with fervor and was soon turning out work after work. I drew peace and calm of mediation, the violent training exercises, the tranquil nature of village life, and the brutal nature of the assassination. No part of the village life, both the good and the bad, was left uncovered and I was content for awhile just doing this.

However when I started going on missions and saw the outside world, I realized that I had only covered a miniscule fraction of what life encompasses. This was unacceptable.  I felt that it was my obligation to myself, and in someway the rest of the world, to explore and draw everything feeling and situation that encompasses living.  Not long after I exercised my write as an adult in the village to leave the clan forever and seek out my own path in the outside world.

In my 9 years of travels since then I’ve seen, experienced, and ultimately drawn countless experiences and feelings. Love, hope, comfort, loyalty, purity. Hate, despair, pain, tertiary, depravity. Indifference, skepticism, boredom, practicality. There is a lot more, but it would be a fairly long list I don’t want to list out right now.

I’ve mainly been a passive observer over the years, just drawing what I observe. But I’ve come to realize that I can’t get the full picture just by observing. My participation is sometimes required to me to full grasp the situation. So I’ve socialized and accompanied many groups over my recent life. I’ve worked with the virtuous, the neutral, and the vile on many occasions. Having experience some of each side, I hold no preference. Good, Evil, Neutral, Law, and Chaos are just aspects of life that I must observer, participate in, and chiefly illustrate because I am an artist that draws the truth no matter what it is. For Art and Truth’s sake I’ve opened myself to everything that can be experienced in life.

My name is Daken Sato, and I am an artist.

As for Daken’s current situation: He has been with the guild for a little over a year and a half and has been content filling up his portfolio of art with the unsavory passions and actions of life.

Here is his stats
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=111588

UPDATE: I changed around some of my stat stuff and put it on a myth-weaver character sheet.

Zaer Darkwail

Stellaru, I recall there is special magical bracer in MIC which allows summon unlimited amount of +3 (or was it +4?) throwing knives. Just thinked you may be interested on modified version of that :).

Cuffs

Delta, I'd love a PM with those lists you were talking about, or better yet, email it to jburns@ccsg3.navy.mil.

Also, for anyone who'd like to view it, here's the rough draft of my char, Half-Dragon Minotaur Fighter. *lick*

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=110682
Zombie Bunnies:  Terrible...Hideous...Fluffy...

FYI: I've been gone for a while...so please, don't be surprised if I don't remember something...

Ons/Offs (New and Improved)

A/A(Temporary)

stellaru

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 26, 2009, 09:06:33 AM
Stellaru, I recall there is special magical bracer in MIC which allows summon unlimited amount of +3 (or was it +4?) throwing knives. Just thinked you may be interested on modified version of that :).

Really! :o I should look into that. Thanks for telling me.