Interest Check - Mage: The Ascension

Started by CharlieSariel, August 20, 2010, 05:56:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieSariel

I’m looking for two or three additional players to join two existing characters.

The basic setting is like this:
-   The game will be starting in the pre-Ascension modern world
-   There will be cross-over from other venues, but player characters must be Magi
-   There will be time travel in the game, so characters based entirely on modern technological paradigms will find themselves at a severe disadvantage
-   The game will be initially set in modern day London, England, although characters can be from anywhere, and can even start anywhere, as I will be gathering the characters together via plot.
-   This will not be a die-hard canon game, but it will not be supremely divergent either.
-   Themes to be explored during the game:  Reality vs. Perception, Good vs. Evil, Reality vs. Myth.  Yes, they’re all somewhat adversarial, but the main idea is treading the lines between the pairs.
-   The intention is for all of the characters to be allies, although friends is not required.
-   The game will be done on the Forum. And through PMs.

It should be mentioned that, at this point, this is a check for level of interest only.  My time and availability are still in flux with a new job, so I’m hoping to get an idea of who might be interested and how active people are.

Some other notes about character creation:
-   Characters will be Starting Magi, created as per the revised rules
-   I will be expecting detailed paradigms with foci included
-   Characters will not be first-come first-served.  I will be picking and choosing from the concepts and/or sheets submitted to pick the best cabal for the game

Lastly, I am going to be both running the game and a character within it.  As with all STs who run characters (I would hope), my character will not be dominating the plot nor being the focal point of the game.  I will use her as needed to provide clues that the rest of the cabal miss, but she is not intended to be a crutch for the plot either.

If anyone is interested, please post here.  I will also accept PMs, although expect them to make an appearance here as a quote as well.

Current Posting Rate - Approximately 1 to 2 posts per week

Sabriel

Yay  ;D

Obviously I am interested  :-)

Ill bring the Vixen ^.^

Name: Vixen Starshine

Hair Colour:
Red with white streaks.

Eye Colour:
Pale green.

Weight: Not telling !

Height:
5'6

Description:
Vixen Starshine is an attractive young and vibrant girl, she has a warm and infectious personality that inspires protection. There is an innocence about Vixen that is hard to find in the world these days. Vixen stands at around 5'6 feet tall she has long wavy red hair with a few white streaks, Her wavy hair flows and dances about her face complementing her startling otherworldly pale green eyes and adorable face. Vixen is usually always happy about something and always seams slightly distracted as if she where trying to take in the whole world and her surroundings at once. Vixen has a slightly odd fashion sense and tends to wear a mixture of clothing that most people would not think to wear, despite this it works for her adding to her charm and cute ways. Vixen's typical outfit includes, a black and white striped top worn underneath a pyjama t-shirt with a picture of a comic like cookie and the words "I'm one tough Cookie !". On top of this she will usually wear a jacket of some kind unless it is warm. On her lower half she would wear a pair of Doc Martians each one a different colour, two odd socks and a pair of skin tight riding trousers with a short mini skirt worn over the top.   

CharlieSariel

I rather expected you Sabriel.  :)

Vixen was one of the two existing characters that I mentioned at the beginning of the thread :D

Chaos

I'm interested! how much detail do you want on characters here and now - just a bio, or a developed character sheet?

Name: Lucy Morgenstern

Hair Colour: Black

Eye Colour: Blue

Height: 5' 4"

Description: Lucy is not her real name, of course; she would never tell anyone something so important to her. She is proud, conceited about her intelligence (with some right), and constantly, quietly angry. She is pretty, though she snarls at most who say so, and her attitude can be off-putting. Her hair is black, and short, and poorly cut, her eyes are brightest blue, and she is usually wearing black - she would never be without her leather jacket if she can help it. She doesn't own much, and keeps a backpack close with her treasured possessions inside. Mostly, those are the books she's studying.

Underneath her attitude, though, Lucy needs friends; she has been alone for years and she is bright enough to realise that it's not good for her, no matter how much magic she can learn. The question is, with her attitude, can she make friends at all?

WyzardWhately

I'm very interested.  My longest-running game ever was playing in a 2-year Mage chronicle, and I've always had a special affection for the game.

I'd love a chance to come at the game from a different direction than the character I played in that game.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Sabriel

QuoteI'm interested! how much detail do you want on characters here and now - just a bio, or a developed character sheet?

I am sure Charlie will answer this but I thought I should comment as I felt my original post might cause some confusion, what I posted is just my character description she does have both a background and a sheet  :P

Chaos

Quote from: Sabriel on August 21, 2010, 06:38:03 PM
I am sure Charlie will answer this but I thought I should comment as I felt my original post might cause some confusion, what I posted is just my character description she does have both a background and a sheet  :P

:) I figured, what with yours being a continuing character - I was just wondering what was expected here and now from us newbies... :P

WyzardWhately

Quote from: Chaos on August 21, 2010, 03:03:12 PM
I'm interested! how much detail do you want on characters here and now - just a bio, or a developed character sheet?

That's a good question.  I'd like to try my hand at playing a relatively new-school hermetic, one with a roguishly innovative streak.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Latooni Subota

What types of Mages are the two recurring characters, if that's okay to ask?
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

XanChaosDB

Definitely interested. I've been looking for a oWoD game for a while now...

Elohim

Count me in, though,  I'll need to develop a character.

Sabriel

I can't speak for Charlie's character ill let her explain that one  :P

My character is a bit hard to explain but basically she started of her Mage life as an apprentice or rather more like a servant, she was never actually expected to accomplish anything magical.  She did however but she begun life with a rather twisted view on magic and has had to figure out a lot of things for herself, it has been a journey of discovery for her where she has learned about herself and her place within her order.

She is an Order of Hermes Mage and part of House Bonisagus, the most notable thing about her is her affinity for the Umbra and the fact she grew up in a shard realm. Thus she is a bit out of touch with the modern world and has had to learn quite a bit about it since leaving her view of existence, she met Angelica soon after being dumped in the real world and quickly accepted her offer to be a part of Cloud City Chantry. She now serves as an assistant to Angelica in her search for others and just generally trying to organise and give the place a bit of structure, as well as continuing her own learning and study of magic of course. She perceives herself as having a place in the world now and is trying to become more serious and responsible. 

She sometimes turns into a mouse which is part of a blessing (curse?) which was laid upon her by the master of the realm in which she used to reside. ::)

I hope that helps a bit, If you have any questions about her let me know. 

CharlieSariel

Wow… yesterday, one PM from Chaos about an interest level, and today.. boom.  Everyone’s on board!

Okay, to touch on the points that have been asked, let’s go this was:

First, for Angelica, the character I’ll be ‘playing’ as a semi-npc.

She’s a cross between a Hollower and an Orphan.  She was an outsider in her life, quiet and withdrawn like most people of her nature are.  She was always interested in the occult, and the whole idea of magic working and so forth, so naturally, she started trying her own.  In short order, she was painting her nails black, wearing black lipstick, and carving inverted pentagrams in the hardwood of her apartment.  It was one of those such weekend nights that triggered everything.  She had been reading up on demon summoning and all the typical new age crap that went with it, and she finally gathered enough things to do one for herself.  So she did.  Naturally, it didn’t actually work, but the swell of fear and belief and all the other teenaged emotions that went with it spiked her inside of the girl, and her Avatar woke up.  From that day forward, Angelica was firmly convinced that she had summoned and been possessed by a great evil demon, and had done everything she could think of and find to rid herself of it.  It didn’t help that her Avatar took the form of the Primeval Darkness of Shadow, and was constantly trying to encourage her to believe in it, and so on.  After some time, Angelica encountered Vixen, and has started to actually learn what’s really going on. 

Naturally, there’s a bunch more there, but it’s an idea on her character.

Now to address the other questions in the thread to date:

Chaos>  I’m really only looking for a bio and a bit of information to let me know what your character is like at this point.  Enough to let me decide amongst the “applicants” for the game for the ones that will best fit the plot.

WyzardWhately>  You’re more than welcome to post a character concept here as well!  Some more detail than what you’ve got so far would be good  ^_^

Latooni Subota, XanChaosDB, and Elohim>  Please feel free to chip in and add in a character concept

Feel free to keep asking though folks.  I’ll answer as best I can.

Chaos

Okay, that's cool - I wasn't sure what you'd be looking for, so I held off filling in too much. Might be just as well, in fact, as there's a bit of cross-over between what I had in mind for Lucy and what you've posted.

See, Lucy was going to be a Satanist, in that her primordial Avatar appears as the Devil. As far as she's concerned, she made a pact for the magic she needed to get out of a bad situation, and is now dealing with the consequences of that action. With a dose of teen rebel thrown in. magic would be Mind and Entropy, likely, or possibly Life instead of one of those. She's self-taught (Orphan) and needs to learn about how mages work...

Which might be a tad too similar to Angelica, or they might work really well together. :-)

Marie Reynolds

Hmm  interesting I might beinterested in throwing up a character. but whould you be  willing to alllow Technocrats

Latooni Subota

I'm thinking. . . . An eccentric, but oddly lovable Caregiver-type. Comes off as a Loner (Demeanor), but can't help just getting involved to help people and make them feel better. Sort of a . . . miracle-healer sorta person that likes to rely on discrete Life and Mind magic (using medicines and such as foci) to speed up natural healing rather than outright HEAL YOUR DAMAGE spells . . except when necessary, at which point she takes her Paradox on the chin and runs off to go explode somewhere safe and secluded. ;3

Not afraid to throw herself into combat with a little bit of that hand to hand the Akashic Brotherhood is known for. Yes, I realize her NEED to help people goes against the old teachings of her Order, that's why she's a wandering magi type. ;3

Also, abbreviated backstory. Family goes to Japan for business, girl's magic wakes up and she wanders out of the city, runs into the standard old sensei and learns the basics, two years later she's walking across Europe at that point trying to learn, help, and train.

High Arete and Avatar, Mind 3 and Life 3, and NOTHING else. She figures she needs to get a better hold of that mixing body and mind thing, before trying to branch out. Obligatory image of terribly heretical German girl in her version of 'asian' clothes.

Her paradigm is the whole "OOOH! Asian Mysticism! So I gotta do this and this and this right?!" "No, you may . ." "Cool, I'll roll with it!" thing. She wears the odd clothes, and carries the staff (primary foci other than mixing up herbs and such for medicine), because that's how she understands asian magic. Ignore the giant in the backround of the image . . unless she learns how to make a zombie bodyguard or something equally silly/fun. :)

Sidenote: Don't think that I'm going to be stepping on your toes or anything, in terms of Mind and Life magic. Her primary role (the way I see it) is to try and act as Big Sister and keep everyone safe, by enhancing her physical attributes to be able to protect them, or emergency healing. Mind magic will come into play . . in ways I haven't worked out yet. Trying to think of better ways to use it for her concept.

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

Sabriel

Vixen Starshine was born and raised in a rather quaint and bizarre Horizon realm, Vixen was raised and grew up in a small land that was very different from the world most know. To her dragons and knights, castles and towers where normal, magic was a fantastic truth and daily topic in her small world, although most like Vixen did not truly comprehend it at least not in the same way.

The small umbral realm which Vixen resided in was cared for and some say created by the Wizards of the bleak grey tower that stood defiant in the realm seen from all around. Vixen was destined to enter this tower at an early age, picked at birth to serve the towers wizards as a servant girl and perhaps one day make apprentice.  As a young girl Vixen would often play around the tower and imagine being a powerful Sorcerer or Witch herself, although she could not really comprehend magic and was always trying to figure out why it worked and how to make it happen. When Vixen was twelve she was sent to the tower to begin her service to the Mages that resided within.

Vixen although quite likable and very pleasant had a tendency to annoy some of the masters of the tower; she failed one of the first tests a wisely old hermetic set upon her. Given the task of performing her chores and tasks without speaking, this was a lesson in discipline although perhaps also a way to stop her distracting the other Mages as well. Vixen failed this task on the first day, when a visitor arrived at the tower and it being her duty to show them in and to there room proceeded to talk to them figuring it polite rather than go about her task silently.

Vixen had a tendency to fail the tasks set for her and the Mages of the tower began to refer to her as the Inept Apprentice, deciding that if she ever did do any magic it would surely be by accident and not through understanding. When Vixen was 13 however she experienced her awakening although she considered it part and parcel of her puberty and that she had somehow done something to upset the flow of magic, she decided it best not to inform the Mages of the tower of it for fear of reprisal. What exactly happened is a secret between her and a few animals. Whilst she was spending some of her own time away from her chores down at the farm which was kept for the tower and which she sometimes worked at, a favourite place of hers the farm which was rather unusual even for farms in her quaint realm consisted of a set of stables and a vast number of animals.

What was unusual about this farm was its inhabitants the animals themselves, the animals where all either smaller than usual or larger depending on what they where going to be used for. There where cows the size of house cats, chickens the size of elephants or mice and pigs the size of guinea pigs.  Vixen loved to visit these animals because they where a display of the weird uses of magic even in her world. The Mages would shrink the animals so they where easy to transport and keep and so they eat less and when required they could be blown up to full size. Vixen was not quite sure what the purpose of the giant chickens was but she figured maybe they were to save having to kill more than one to feed the tower. On the day Vixen awakened she was petting some of the miniature sheep that where kept in one of the pens when it exploded into a full size sheep in a puff of bright sparks and fluffy fur. Vixen felt a tingling all throughout her body and looked at the world with a slightly different view she saw the sparkle of magic lacing the animals and could feel them all about her, she shrieked and ran back to the tower fearing she had accidentally broken one of the miniature sheep. 

She never spoke of the event but since that day took to her apprenticeship with a new vigour although she did not truly comprehend what she was being taught and she came to believe that the Mages of the tower seamed to make magic do what they wanted by doing various different things, she was not quite sure why they did these things but she came to believe that by annoying the magic forces enough you could get them to do what you wanted if you did it in the right way, of course if you did it wrong or annoyed them to much they might just make you explode. 

Although Vixen was starting to show a bit more potential in magic and some understanding the Mages of the tower still found her presence slightly distracting and her mood a little too cheerful at times, she was still the fumbling inept apprentice.   When she was 15 Vixen was assigned to High Mage of the Bleak Tower of High Wizardry and Arcane Exploits, the other members of the tower knew him as High Mage Jim Jam a somewhat ancient and wise old wizard with a rather eccentric personality and forgetful nature. High Mage Jim Jam could never remember Vixen's name he also forgot some of the tasks that he gave Vixen which was quite lucky for her since she would have most likely died if she had tried to accomplish them, among them where “Fetch me an egg of the great purple dragon Fixatriza” a task which Vixen knew she was not capable and “Travel to the realm of darkest night I believe I left my book on Arcane habits of the Mystic Circle there last week.” This was another task that Vixen did not attempt although she nearly did and if I was not for another Mage in the tower telling her exactly what the realm of darkest night was she probably would still be there till this day.

Some good did come out of her Master's forgetful and bizarre nature to go on the task to find his book the High Mage did give her a key and a blank sheet of paper which she was told was a map. Vixen by now had become to expect strange behaviour from the High Mage and believed them to be just an ordinary key and piece of paper, she was wrong however as she soon on closer inspection found out. They hummed with magic and she after some study and reading of books and asking about rumours of such things discovered they where magic trinkets, a magical key and magical map.

Obviously Vixen thought her master would want these things back although when she returned to tell him that she had been to the realm of darkest night and not been able to find his book, he looked at her as if she was mad and upon trying to return the key and map he erupted into angry fit at her calling her a liar and a silly inept apprentice. He sent her away and had her locked in her room for the night until she decided to not make things up. 

Vixen tried a few more times to give the High Mage his things back but every time she tried to raise the subject he shot her a scornful glance, she even tried to put them back in the mages chest although she could not open it so she just left them in his room, only to be told of once more and given them back. She gave up after that and decided to keep them if he did not remember owning them in the first place she would treat them as a gift. Vixen continued her service for the High Mage for another year without much incident although she still had a way of seaming to get in the way of her masters, In the end the High Mage had set her the task of taking care of a lesser Mages experiment when he was away, It was her task to watch over a group of mice and look for noticeable changes and write down anything of interest. Vixen thought it was a bit of an odd task but she did not question and she took to looking after the mice with a joyful spirit, she actually enjoyed it quite a lot and begun to think of the mice as her personal pets she even let them out on occasion and took them about the tower with her.

This was a mistake on her part and was destined to get her into more trouble, one night she forgot close the cage correctly and the mice escaped and went scurrying all over the tower. No one had seamed to notice when Vixen discovered her mistake so she scurried about the tower madly trying to collect the mice, a few of the Mages seamed to notice this but none of them made much complaint other than a scornful glance, It was only when she could not find three of the mice that she became very worried, having searched everywhere but High Mage Jim Jam’s quarters. She rushed up stairs hoping to catch them before he found them or noticed, knocking before she entered she received an angry shout to enter from the High Mage.

When she entered she was horrified to see two of the mice nibbling on a plate of cheese on the High Mages workbench and another scurrying across a bookshelf, she screamed and bowed gasping a little she recovered herself and frantically tried to apologize.  The High Mage frowned and looked at the fumbling apprentice and screeched at the top of his voice in a arcane mixture of bizarre syllables before booming out a bizarre statement, “You silly girl, are you a mouse or a mage !”.

Vixen felt a slight tingle through her spine and a violent shiver and shaking overcame her for a moment before she let out a ear pricing shriek which became a squeak as she shrunk and transformed into mouse. Watching everything get much bigger Vixen was terrified and she scurried of squeaking for fear of more reprisal from the Mage. Vixen's fear only heightened when she heard the hissing of his familiar a black cat which Vixen as one of her chores used to have to pamper knowing the cats rather nasty temperament only hastened her flight, as it did those of the other mice in the room of jumped and scurried to flee with her. 

Vixen and the other mice scampered out of the room and shot down the stairs with the big black cat chasing after them yowling at them and hissing. They speed past a few mages on the way and eventually became cornered by the cat and a Mage who had decided to collect the mice, thankfully the Mage got the mice first he levitated them up into the air and lead them back to there cage. 

Vixen woke up in the cage with the other mice still as a mouse herself and she chattered and shivered a little wondering if she would be like this forever.  She wondered if the High Mage would even remember the mice in his room or changing her into a mouse. Vixen's answer came quite soon although not the one she was quite looking for the Mage who owned the mice, had returned and he was staring rather baffled over his cage of mice wondering where the new one had come from he shrugged slightly and packed up the rest of his belongings and headed of out of the tower taking the cage of mice with him on his journey to new horizons, to a new existence for him and his mice he was heading out of the umbra to make his life there.

Vixen soon found herself in a strange a bizarre place and she grew back to her normal self breaking the cage in the process and letting free the other umbral mice. She was perplexed by this new world but decided to go it alone at least for now, she did not fancy explaining why she had broken the mages cage and let his mice free when he returned. She did not fancy being turned into anything more unnatural or worse exploded, she ran before he came back into the new strange world to explore and find a place for herself.

Vixen's familar "Xaphan Nibbler"

Paradigm:
(Liberal): The essence of the world is a great web of Chaos, Magic as we know it is apart of that essence. Unwoven, ever changing energy patterns. These patterns have a resonance of their own, and that resonance can be altered. By finding the things which counter that resonance most perfectly, the Mage can force the Magic into a new pattern, simply by finding the correct method to do so, with the right elements the ingredients of creation can be mixed to cause any effect. Vixen, more often than not, finds these counter-resonances by purest chance. It's no skill on her part., perhaps even just purest luck, but she quickly starting to learn more about her Tradition and there long standing use of magic and the ways of old, or recipes of magic if you prefer.

Basic Foci:
Entropy: Sigils or numbers set into rigidly ordered patterns or deliberate chaos. Forces: Athame (double sided ritual knife, dagger, or sword). Life: Ankh. Mind: Unbroken circles. Prime: Tetragrammaton. Spirit: Enochian glyphs. Matter: Metallic rod (wand). 

Birth Name: Vixen Sophia Starshine
Craft Name: Netikerty Salmacis Veela, bani Bonisagus
Shadow Name:  Netikerty Vixen Sophia Salmacis Veela, bani Bonisagus, Talisman of the Citadel, Serene Silver Child holding the Sword of Wizardry garbed in Garments of Sorcery, Herald of the Second Realm and Warder of the Celestial City
True Name: Netikerty Vixen Sophia Salmacis Veela, bani Bonisagus, Talisman of the Citadel, Serene Silver Child holding the Sword of Wizardry garbed in Garments of Sorcery, Herald of the Second Realm and Warder of the Celestial City, In Caligine Abditus, Dina,Elijah,Kakabel,Vohu Manah.   

CharlieSariel

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on August 22, 2010, 02:23:23 PM
Hmm  interesting I might beinterested in throwing up a character. but whould you be  willing to alllow Technocrats

Sorry I took so long getting back to you on this one Marie.  While I won't flat out deny anyone an attempt at a character they would enjoy, the point of the game is going to be team survival in an alternate time period (along with many additional plot-related issues).  Given that the bulk of the party/cabal is going to be Traditionalists, that may cause some concerns for a Techie.  Also, the time period I was thinking of ending in was the Victorian.  Not the greatest place for a Technomage or for the Order of Reason in general.

That all said... if you think you can make a Technocrat who will be playable under those sorts of conditions, then by all means, let's see him or her  ^_^

CharlieSariel

Quote from: Latooni Subota on August 23, 2010, 07:35:50 PM
I'm thinking. . . . An eccentric, but oddly lovable Caregiver-type. Comes off as a Loner (Demeanor), but can't help just getting involved to help people and make them feel better. Sort of a . . . miracle-healer sorta person that likes to rely on discrete Life and Mind magic (using medicines and such as foci) to speed up natural healing rather than outright HEAL YOUR DAMAGE spells . . except when necessary, at which point she takes her Paradox on the chin and runs off to go explode somewhere safe and secluded. ;3

Not afraid to throw herself into combat with a little bit of that hand to hand the Akashic Brotherhood is known for. Yes, I realize her NEED to help people goes against the old teachings of her Order, that's why she's a wandering magi type. ;3

Also, abbreviated backstory. Family goes to Japan for business, girl's magic wakes up and she wanders out of the city, runs into the standard old sensei and learns the basics, two years later she's walking across Europe at that point trying to learn, help, and train.

High Arete and Avatar, Mind 3 and Life 3, and NOTHING else. She figures she needs to get a better hold of that mixing body and mind thing, before trying to branch out. Obligatory image of terribly heretical German girl in her version of 'asian' clothes.

Her paradigm is the whole "OOOH! Asian Mysticism! So I gotta do this and this and this right?!" "No, you may . ." "Cool, I'll roll with it!" thing. She wears the odd clothes, and carries the staff (primary foci other than mixing up herbs and such for medicine), because that's how she understands asian magic. Ignore the giant in the backround of the image . . unless she learns how to make a zombie bodyguard or something equally silly/fun. :)

Sidenote: Don't think that I'm going to be stepping on your toes or anything, in terms of Mind and Life magic. Her primary role (the way I see it) is to try and act as Big Sister and keep everyone safe, by enhancing her physical attributes to be able to protect them, or emergency healing. Mind magic will come into play . . in ways I haven't worked out yet. Trying to think of better ways to use it for her concept.

Great work, Latooni.  I think she'd fit in quite well.

Marie Reynolds

No problem on that and ill see what i can do I was thinking about playing a Technocrat infiltrator anyway so ill see if i can make anything happen with it.

CharlieSariel

Hm.  I'm not sure an Infiltrator is appropriate, to be honest.

The game will be needing pretty steady cooperation between the cabal members.  The worry is that if your character is working for different reasons or at cross purposes, the unity that will keep the cabal alive might be compromised.

I also worry about the whole technocratic paradigm in an obviously magically active situation.

Sabriel

Yeah that is a bit worrying, it would be nice if we did not all have cross purposes that would make things complicated. I mean nothing wrong with a bit of conflict now and then but groups work better when that conflict is not something that makes you actual mortal enemies normally :P

Latooni Subota

Sorry about the delay in getting my character all finalized and such. busy weekend what with dealing with refunds, signing up for some classes, new computer, etc. I'll try to finish my girl asap.

CharlieSariel

Cool beans, Latooni.  Take your time.  Real Life always comes before games  :)

Sophina

Well goodness me, I do wonder what would upset the neighbors more, a tattoo or a piercing? I suppose I had better just do both.

Madelina Darby's parents thought she should be a famous singer and classical musician one day. Their assumption irritated her, and so one day she decided to think differently. Madelina likes to think that she rocks to her own beat. In her own mind she is a rebel, a rocker, an anarchist and a rake. When her upper-crust parents refused to be phased by her early experiments in acting out she went to the library and checked out every book they had on controversial countercultures of the past 20 years. Through careful research and exhaustive comparison she arrived upon an algorithm certain to elicit maximal protest: haphazard clothing in extreme violation of common fashion sense, unnecessary accessories that made a potentially demure outfit chaotic and schizophrenic, a carefully-managed personality that alternated between sullen despondence and rash, extroverted tomfoolery at intervals timed to be most inconvenient for her relatives.

Classical piano and violin lay at the wayside as she bought herself an axe and drums and took to loudly busking in the street, the underground, at clubs, and really anywhere she was guaranteed to be seen. Her guitar techniques never expanded beyond "Play some power chords loudly and scream," but they never needed to.

The drums, on the other hand, were a theoretical and often literal blast (of noise) to play. She found them to be satisfyingly predictable in their logic, and a few years of experimentation and harassed instruction saw her become an awesome punk drummer. She looked the part, and she finally sounded the part, so who was to know if behind the scenes, her knowledge of the emotion, spontaneity, and oft-professed anarchy of her self-selected "scene" was all a matter of carefully-contemplated logic, cold and clean?

And then one day it clicked. Madelina would have had a difficult time telling you exactly when, but one day in the middle of a secret concert thrown together in an abandoned parking garage, she was 38 measures into her third song when it hit her: numbers blurred into colors, colors blurred and bled until everything was reduced to a beat, and between one drumbeat and the next the numbers and calculations of her world became The Music, and by understanding The Music she knew she could understand the rest.

Madelina is well-educated and highly analytical, but when she Awoke she found the world reorganized and reintegrated in terms of The Beat- drumming came to define her logic, and her logic defined her world. She still occasionally tries to reduce her world to numbers, but ultimately her newly-discovered beat is what makes the numbers make sense. Her drumming, be it on drums, cars, walls, or slow pedestrians, is the central form her magic takes. Her drumsticks would be the physical focus she is most comfortable with, and probably the most effective with.

Her essence is pretty apparently Pattern, her Demeanor would be Bon Vivant, and her Nature would definitely be as a Perfectionist.

Her paradigm lies in finding and creating patterns in the world around her in a very particular way: since her Awakening caused her to associate music with her highly logical and mathematical view of the world, she has convinced herself that beats and rhythms permeate all things: everything has its own beat, and by introducing sound or silence into its rhythm you can change the world's music.

Basically she's intended to be a kind of study in contradiction: in spite of the way she views the world her own self tends toward the logical and is almost coldly objective, while the patterns through which her avatar approaches Enlightenment are hedonistic and deeply spontaneous in a way her mortal self could never easily comprehend. She probably isn't even consciously aware of her Avatar, and she believes it to be a simple manifestation of her sense and knowledge of the kinds of conduct and behavior appropriate in her vision of the punk/indie scene.

I'm intending her to be a fairly narrowly focused Time specialist, but if that would be unfairly powerful in the campaign I would be happy to nudge her story and Paradigm to focus on something else. ^^

Sabriel

Now that is what I like to call a very neat and interesting character :)

Sophina

Who, mine? Heehee, thankie- it's been a while since I played a WW game and I was always more comfortable with Wraith and Vampire, so I'm glad one of my first attempts at doing a mage character came out well. I liked yours as well! I thought that the drummer might get along with her well, either that or they would drive each other crazy, being Order of Hermes and Cult of Ecstasy :)

Sabriel

Hehe yeah I am much more familiar with Vampire and Werewolf, Vixen is sort of my only real Mage character and my exploration into that world. I would think Vixen will try to get along with everyone but I am sure her quirks might cause some interesting friction or such at times.

Sophina

I'm not sure how Darby would end up getting along with the party-she's a fairly nice girl when you aren't trying to force her to do something, but she also isn't aware of how big a disparity is between her image of herself (bawdy, rowdy rocker) and most everyone else's (oddly dressed girl who talks like she's being quizzed and is utterly hopeless at empathizing with other people's points of view). That might create friction with some characters. ^^

Sabriel

You don't think Vixen is oddly dressed ?  :P

I think they have somthing in common there at least and I have a feeling there personalities might be quite similar in part althougth for very different reasons I suspect ^.^

Angelica sums up Vixen best with words I think.

CharlieSariel

We've got a bunch of pretty solid characters, so I thought I should sort of recap and see what was happening with the folks who had expressed interest but nothing more yet.

For the characters we have so far:

Charlie - Angelica, the Demon-obsessed Orphan
Sabriel - Vixen, the Amazing Mouse Mage! ( :P )
Chaos - Lucy, a lonely and misunderstood.. umm.. hermetic?
Sophina - Darby, the wacky and contrary Esctatic
Latooni - The as-of-yet-unnamed Akashic

Wyzard Whatley, XanChaosDB, Elohim, and Marie?  Still any interest?

Chaos

I'd call Lucy an Orphan - though her magic has a very hermetic feel to it, she's self-taught from books and the like, and would not make a good Order of Hermes apprentice ;)

Latooni Subota

Actually, I think I'm going to back out. It's being way too hard for me to get into oWoD for some reason lately. All my inspiration when I'm NOT busy, is going to other things like nWoD Vampire. Sorry :(

CharlieSariel

Totally understandable, Latooni! 

Don't feel bad  ^_^  All told, it's better that it happened before the game started, yeah?  Feel free to keep an eye on the game though if you're interested, and if it turns out to be something that inspires you, let me know  :)

And thanks for the clarification Chaos!  :)

Scya

If there is still a place open I would like to throw my hat into the ring.
Either as a Member inside the Heavenly Choir a  goody two shoes that does not judge those arround him  as the token male or a professional gambler that uses Entropy and is either an orphan or a member of House Fortunae t complete theFemale ensemble .
A&A https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=78650.0

A bit braindead at the moment so please excuse longer wait times then usual.