Legalize it NOW!

Started by Kane Gunlock, February 23, 2010, 05:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kane Gunlock

this is thread is to discuss the full legalization are Marijuana and hemp made materials with in the united states (or other places if some of you like) so what are your thoughts ?

Inkidu

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Kane Gunlock

ummm because abolition  laws are utter bullshit

Oniya

So, just because it's impossible for a law abolishing it to be effective (a la Prohibition), it should therefore be legal? 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kane Gunlock

I suppose I mean what good did prohibition do ? all it did was make a bunch of crooks rich
but no I will totally and honestly admit that I enjoy the occasional use of Cannabis and I would like to see it legalized because plain and simply I don't want to be labeled as a criminal because I smoke

Oniya

Hm.  I suppose I was hoping you'd have a more convincing argument.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kane Gunlock

I don't know...sorry  ???  um it has many medical uses and you can make pretty much any thing out of hemp is that good Enough ?

Scribbles

Rescinding a law because you don’t like it really isn’t the best of arguments; instead you should try going into the benefits of your proposal and explain how the current law is detrimental. You could even think outside the box and perhaps argue on substituting alcohol, a much more debilitating substance, with marijuana, or outline how the government and public may have over exaggerated and demonized a mostly harmless drug. You’ll find few will want to engage in a debate that starts with a basic statement of preference and little substance. If you want this to get off the ground you’ll have to create an argument that critics can analyze and counter or concur with. Trust me, the information is out there and these days you can argue for or against practically anything.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Kane Gunlock

I hate to under mind what you said and I totally agree with it buuuuut I'm tired soooo cant really put two and one together right now ...sorry

Scribbles

No worries, I know the feeling.  ;)
AA and OO

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Kane Gunlock on February 23, 2010, 09:36:17 PM
I don't know...sorry  ???  um it has many medical uses and you can make pretty much any thing out of hemp is that good Enough ?

So does cocaine, does that entail we open it for public distribution?

Doomsday

Let's make arguments for legalization and be literate about it.

1.) In 2001 (old numbers but good numbers) 723,627 people were arrested in the United States just for possessing marijuana. This is a huge burden on our prison system, costing billions just to protect us from our own choices.
2.) Marijuana has many practical uses besides the obvious use. It is medicinal, practical (hemp, anyone?). Not to mention, the government would have an excuse to tax it and make money off of it if it were legal.
3.) It is arguably less dangerous than alcohol, which is not only legal in the United States, it is celebrated.
4.) One of the platforms used by anti-Marijuana activists in the early 20th century was blatant racism.
5.) Why should the government tell us what to do and what not to do in our own time and on our own property?

Saerrael

Actually, legalizing drugs would make it easier to get them out of the criminal scene and keep tabs on quality.

Quote from: Doomsday on February 23, 2010, 09:50:13 PM
Not to mention, the government would have an excuse to tax it and make money off of it if it were legal.

And there is that, of course.

Trieste

Even decriminalization has gone a long way toward easing the burden on MA authorities. I occasionally catch a whiff of the stuff on the street, but you don't have people going around smoking huge blunts on the street, either. The potheads are still potheads, the straightedges are still straightedges, it's just that fewer of the former are in jail needlessly now.

What they really need to do is legalize it and tax it like they do cigs. Might wanna stock up on veggies and fruit and dips right next to the Mary Jane, though, otherwise we might have to worry a lot more about that obesity thing.

Scribbles

Taxing it is a lot more difficult than alcohol as practically anyone can grow it, right in their own homes. Makes it a lot less profitable for the government, especially if you consider that it may steal profits from the already taxed alcoholic side.
AA and OO

Trieste

Well, yes, anyone can grow it... but anyone can make moonshine, too, and that doesn't happen. *shrug* Just because you can doesn't mean you will... and just because you can't make money off of it doesn't mean you should continue to criminalize something.

Brandon

The reason why I am against the legalization of Cannibas is because of the hallucogenic properties in Tetrahydrocannibinol (THC) which is the most active chemical found in it. THC amounts vary widely based on soil richness, climate minerals, lighting and more so its unlikely that the amounts can be controlled and reduce the hallucinogen's in the plant while maintaining the effect of being high.

Hallucinogen's can be dangerous to the user and those around them. Unlike inebriation you loose cognitive function because the setting around you changes to something its not. With inebriation you still retain cognitive functions no matter how drunk you are but they are limited by the amount of alcohol in your bloodstream.

To complicate matters there are at least 421 chemicals in a non-lit blunt and over 2000 chemicals once it has been lit. I did a quick google search but I could not find any references that list all of these chemicals which makes me suspect that we don't know exactly what a persons putting into their body when they use it. I also find it hard to find any references that show effects over life long exposure to marijuana so on that basis alone I think its best to be kept illegal till we know the full medical implications over a human's lifespan.

To the drugs credit, you would have to smoke over a pound a minute to die from exposure to marijuana and thats just not possible so death isnt a likely outcome for anyone. Unlike other drugs

So there's three reasons not to legalize it. 1) THC levels and thus hallucenogenic properties are at best unpredictable 2) We have not yet fully analyzed the chemicals in marijuana and 3) we dont yet know the life long effects of a marijuana user

For the record, I do not consider Marijuana users as criminals. I just think natural highs such as orgasms are healthier
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Scribbles

Quote from: Trieste on February 23, 2010, 10:03:10 PM
Well, yes, anyone can grow it... but anyone can make moonshine, too, and that doesn't happen. *shrug* Just because you can doesn't mean you will... and just because you can't make money off of it doesn't mean you should continue to criminalize something.

It's a lot more of a pain to make moonshine than grow a weed and you misinterpreted me; I was suggesting that a few entrepreneurial politicians might not enjoy seeing such a hefty source of income being cut, even if slightly. :P
AA and OO

Trieste

Scribbles

It's okay, I really did come off as a government lemming in that one.  :-)
AA and OO

Trieste

>.>

And I forgot to say also: It's easy to make moonshine. It's harder to make moonshine without the methanol content, but that's just being picky.

<.<

Scribbles

I still believe that it's a lot easier to grow marijuana as well as easier to teach on how to; plant a seed and from then on the difference only comes in with the sort of care it is given. No need for a still or complicated process (relatively speaking) and you have a better idea of what might come out. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised by some homemade beverages.

Just wanted to add that I hardly drink or smoke. :P
AA and OO

Tachi

I think it's a bit crazy that people want to use a plants natural defense mechanism to deliberately alter the neurotoxins in their brain. Those who need it for medical purposes should have access to it and be able to use it as much as their disability/illness demands, but those who just want to get high should not be allowed near it.

Trieste

Quote from: Scribbles on February 23, 2010, 10:57:25 PM
I still believe that it's a lot easier to grow marijuana as well as easier to teach on how to; plant a seed and from then on the difference only comes in with the sort of care it is given. No need for a still or complicated process (relatively speaking) and you have a better idea of what might come out. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised by some homemade beverages.

Just wanted to add that I hardly drink or smoke. :P

You've clearly never seen the likes of me try to grow a plant! *has a black thumb*

Quote from: Tachi on February 23, 2010, 11:12:23 PM
I think it's a bit crazy that people want to use a plants natural defense mechanism to deliberately alter the neurotoxins in their brain. Those who need it for medical purposes should have access to it and be able to use it as much as their disability/illness demands, but those who just want to get high should not be allowed near it.

Just because you don't see the merit in it doesn't mean it should not be allowed.

Jude

Quote from: Tachi on February 23, 2010, 11:12:23 PMthose who just want to get high should not be allowed near it.
But why?  What gives you the right to tell other people what they can and cannot do as long as it only affects them?

If you want to debate the residual effects that occur in directly, there are a lot of behaviors in our country that have indirect bad consequences on your friends and family but we allow those.  Gambling is a far more dangerous activity to engage in than smoking marijuana for sure.