DnD 3.5 Unlimited: Legendary Monsters Recruitment part2!

Started by Zaer Darkwail, January 07, 2016, 09:02:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefepato

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 01, 2016, 11:59:42 PM
What I can tell from build it's entirely valid (nothing against it rulewise). I did not find 'half-air elemental' template but found air elemental creature template (which is +2 CR if past 8 HD).
The half-elemental template is on pages 188-189 of Manual of the Planes (a few pages before the air element creature template), and is +3 LA according to the 3.5 update document.  Efreet are 10 HD, so it should fit.

In this case, the character is meant to be half-efreet and half-djinn.  I'll go into more detail when I write up a proper background, but needless to say, his family reunions aren't pretty!

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on February 01, 2016, 11:59:42 PM
Yes, you can swap stats and change benefits what template otherwise gives. But I am certain there in some monster manual or dragon magazine there is actual full list for 'deity touched' templates which includes Gruumsh, Nerull, Corellon, Kord etc. I am not just certain where the list is (Kunoichi knows as she gave suggestion to me while playing in her demon prince campaign for my own demon prince build which was ogre magi + that deity touched individual).
The "god-blooded" template is in Monster Manual V.  The Lolth-touched template is in MM4 and is pretty different.

(It's also kinda weird -- the benefits it grants are pretty generic and don't seem particularly associated with Lolth, drow, or spiders.)

Zaer Darkwail

Immunity to poison and +6 Con helps save DC increase for spiders. But the template overall negates drow's weakness and increase brutal physical prowess and them being fearless and sneaky. But it's indeed odd template. Anycase thanks mentioning where god-bloods area (but it seems they are unrelated to Lolth-Touched template even if they got same LA and also god-bloods got that divine endurance where as Lolth-Touched has not).

Lockepick

When it comes to Epic Prestige Classes -- are we still limited by only having 1/level (or on one side of our gestalt?) I assume they also require you to finish them once you start, like non-epic prestige classes?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

TheGlyphstone

I don't think we've discussed it yet, because no one has reached Epic levels. But the Epic PrCs don't have an end, they scale out infinitely, so I'd imagine the 'finish what you started' might be replaced with a  '10+ levels before switching'.

Lockepick

Ah, that's fair. I guess more curious if you can take an Epic PrC on each side -- so I can plan the pre-reqs out.

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Zaer Darkwail

My father died now hour and half ago in the house just now. It was sudden and unexpected (we knew he had issues in lungs shrinking over time but it appears a sudden heart failure).

Now mom calmed down bit but it will be very long mourning period for her and also grandmother....considering all other shit I will be neck deep trouble as well as any debts what my father had will come crashing down on me asap (plus inheritance, police investigations, funerals etc all other hassle).

If ask my emotional state I am shocked but calm otherwise. I knew father was going to die by lung based complications in near future (a slow agonizing death). So was mentally prepared that he dies.

But this....it came like ligthing from clear sky as he suffered either something in heart or in head as he told before he died his chest stung and he took his medicine and 5 secs later....just collapsed and was unconcius. The ambulance staff told his heart had that point stopped and it took like 8 mins for them arrive to scene and both I and mother tried keep father alive.

Then 20 minutes constant PRC the ambulance staff declared father dead then as his heart did not start up at all. This was shock for everyone, even mother who was also prepared and now she is wreck and so is grandmother. So even if I am not wreck I have to focus next days with my family around this sudden unexpected loss.

I myself I am fine but I feel hurt for seeing mother hurt and suffering :(. So only what I can do is comfort her until worst of mourning passes over. She already said 'this cannot be real' so she is in denial phase of sorrow stage. I will return on the checking questions and such somepoint but now things will be delayed bit. I hope my players can help answer questions when they can.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: lockepick on February 02, 2016, 11:04:36 AM
Ah, that's fair. I guess more curious if you can take an Epic PrC on each side -- so I can plan the pre-reqs out.

You'd still be limited to one PrC at a time. But I don't see why you couldn't take one on each of your class tracks, if you qualified for them.

Snake

Lockepick

@Zaer: I'm sorry to hear, man. Take all the time you need, take care of you and your family first...

@Glyphstone: I thought the restriction was that only one 'side' (magic or martial) could have a prestige class. Can I take a prestige class on both sides, as long as I finish them once I start?

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: lockepick on February 02, 2016, 05:29:14 PM
@Zaer: I'm sorry to hear, man. Take all the time you need, take care of you and your family first...

@Glyphstone: I thought the restriction was that only one 'side' (magic or martial) could have a prestige class. Can I take a prestige class on both sides, as long as I finish them once I start?

It's gestalt, remember? Your tracks are all fused together to begin with. But from the recruiting post:

5) Any PrC's entered must be finished before taking new one and between all paths you can take only one PrC at the time in progression.

Lockepick

I can't tell if we're saying the same thing or not...

"...you can take only one PrC at the time in progression." tells me that if I gain a new level: I could take one level of Paladin (Spell-less variant), and one level of Mystic Theurge -- but I couldn't take Kensai and Mystic Theurge when I gain a level. Is that what we're both saying.

TheGlyphstone

Correct, yeah. You could take Wizard//Kensai for 10 levels, then...Mystic Theurge//Paladin. But not Kensai//Mystic Theurge, and you couldn't go Wizard//Kensai 7 then switch to Mystic Theurge//Paladin because Kensai wasn't finished yet.

Lockepick

Ah, gotcha. I re-read what you wrote before, and where I misread it. My confusion, thanks for the clarification.

PhantomPistoleer

I am throwing in the towel.

I just can't come up with anything that I really like, and I can't waste more time thinking about it.  I really enjoyed trying to come up with something, though.  It was a fun puzzle to work on.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Zaer Darkwail

Sad to hear it PhantomPistoleer, this thread remains open in case you change your mind (or rather get inspiration for specific concept).

Jefepato

Sorry to hear about your dad, Zaer.

When you get a chance, I had a quick question about the house-ruled mystic theurge and the Spell Secret feature.  Since the character I'm working on is a double spontaneous caster (sorcerer/mystic), do I understand correctly that each instance of Spell Secret is essentially a bonus spell known for whichever class I add it to?  (Also, do the arcane and divine spells being added have to come from the list of a class you already have?  Or can a wizard/cleric mystic theurge add a druid spell to his wizard list?)

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Jefepato on February 04, 2016, 10:17:06 PM
When you get a chance, I had a quick question about the house-ruled mystic theurge and the Spell Secret feature.  Since the character I'm working on is a double spontaneous caster (sorcerer/mystic), do I understand correctly that each instance of Spell Secret is essentially a bonus spell known for whichever class I add it to?  (Also, do the arcane and divine spells being added have to come from the list of a class you already have?  Or can a wizard/cleric mystic theurge add a druid spell to his wizard list?)

Spell Secret is basically a means to add arcane spells to divine side or divine spells to arcane side. Also limited to 1/2 of your PrC level. But besides this limits there is no limit which arcane or divine class you take the spell known (example arcane side you can take from wizard, bard or wu jen lists to add spell what you know as mystic example). If want add divine spell to your arcane side, it can come from cleric, druid or other divine class list.

ReijiTabibito

Zaer, I've been talking over with Kunoichi about building my character, and I wanted to pose a question to you.  One of the feats I'm taking is Sexy Kung Fu, which lets you change your Wis-based abilities over to CHA.  (I've been told you have allowed this custom feat.)

One of my character classes is Swordsage (on the martial side), and one of the schools I'm choosing to focus on is Desert Wind, which offers a number of different fire-based attack moves.  I was wondering if there could be some sort of custom feat similar to Energy Substitution or Admixture, which either lets me deal two different types of damage with the same move, or lets me change the element of the damage.

Zaer Darkwail

No feat to do two mixtures of elemental dmg but with appropriate fluff reason I can allow change maneuvers fire dmg to other elemental (cold, acid, electricity) dmg.

Jefepato

I forgot to ask earlier, but since our characters were recently prisoners of Ao, does that mean the game takes place in Faerun?

I'm making pretty good progress on a character sheet, but it's slow going with all these different traits and class features to combine.  (Also I'm trying to settle on a choice of mystic domains.  I was going to go with Travel due to the character's wandering habits, but I don't actually want most of its spells aside from teleport which I can't use yet, so...maybe not the best pick.)

ReijiTabibito

Desert Wind I can think of three alternatives.

Cold damage because while deserts are climatically the hottest places on earth...they are only so during the day.  At night, deserts can become almost inhospitably cold.  Especially when the wind blows across them at night.

Electricity damage - the idea of the school is to focus on speed and mobility.  Now, sure, fire can spread pretty quickly...but is fire faster than lightning?  If you had to pick the five standard elements of D&D (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sound), Electricity is probably the fastest out of all of them.

Sonic: probably the weakest of my arguments here, but the name of the school is Desert Wind.  And you can't see the wind, but boy you can hear it - invisible, but perceptible.  Doesn't that seem like sound?  In addition (I admit, I write this in less than ideal frame of mind), the wind picks up little pieces of sand out in the desert, which is why all those desert nomads have to wear the full-body clothing: so they're not cut to pieces by flying grains of sand.  With the exception of a pure force effect, the thing that would come closest to simulating that would be sound energy.  Especially since we now that sound is just a vibration, energy moving through the air.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Jefepato on February 06, 2016, 01:50:56 AM
I forgot to ask earlier, but since our characters were recently prisoners of Ao, does that mean the game takes place in Faerun?

I'm making pretty good progress on a character sheet, but it's slow going with all these different traits and class features to combine.  (Also I'm trying to settle on a choice of mystic domains.  I was going to go with Travel due to the character's wandering habits, but I don't actually want most of its spells aside from teleport which I can't use yet, so...maybe not the best pick.)

It's more that Ao is the overgod of all realities, rather than Faerun exclusive. You can be from Faerun, or visit it, but we can pretty much hop dimensions/realities/settings at will.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on February 06, 2016, 02:06:38 AM
It's more that Ao is the overgod of all realities, rather than Faerun exclusive. You can be from Faerun, or visit it, but we can pretty much hop dimensions/realities/settings at will.

That's correct, Ao is known in Faerun in making expection in regards making a actual appearance. Ofc all gods know Ao as without Ao's approval they cannot become gods (in any reality anyways). Approval is not personal but Ao overseers all gods and sees who gets become one (and thus he is responsible for excistence of all good, neutral and bad aligned gods). Travel domain may not be ideal if you just want single spell from it (you could get it via extra spell known feat). Or get teleport by other means (and is rather easy to make magic item out of it and many creatures can get teleport at-will, example take succubus monster features via absording it).

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on February 06, 2016, 01:53:32 AM
Desert Wind I can think of three alternatives.

Cold damage because while deserts are climatically the hottest places on earth...they are only so during the day.  At night, deserts can become almost inhospitably cold.  Especially when the wind blows across them at night.

Electricity damage - the idea of the school is to focus on speed and mobility.  Now, sure, fire can spread pretty quickly...but is fire faster than lightning?  If you had to pick the five standard elements of D&D (Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, Sound), Electricity is probably the fastest out of all of them.

Sonic: probably the weakest of my arguments here, but the name of the school is Desert Wind.  And you can't see the wind, but boy you can hear it - invisible, but perceptible.  Doesn't that seem like sound?  In addition (I admit, I write this in less than ideal frame of mind), the wind picks up little pieces of sand out in the desert, which is why all those desert nomads have to wear the full-body clothing: so they're not cut to pieces by flying grains of sand.  With the exception of a pure force effect, the thing that would come closest to simulating that would be sound energy.  Especially since we now that sound is just a vibration, energy moving through the air.

I am okay with all but I say no for sonic because sonic is very uncommon to find resistance for, desert wind is balanced because fire is common element which creatures could have resistance for it (so can with cold, electricity and acid). You can rename the style based on different nomads or bit different principles (but key factor is mobility).