Mortal Kombat Interest Check [EX]

Started by thebobmaster, June 03, 2015, 01:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebobmaster

Raiden was never satisfied with the resolution of the tenth Mortal Kombat tournament. Time after time, he went back to the beginning, trying to fix it. Unfortunately, things got worse for him. After several times of doing so, he got overconfident, trying to fix more than he was capable of. For this, his position as Earthrealm's protector was stripped by the Elder Gods for his temerity. Without having an official role in the tournament, Raiden could only watch as Outworld won, merging Earthrealm under Shao Kahn's rule.

However, some past events that he had changed did have an impact. Centuries ago, Shang Tsung had been eliminated from his role as Shao Kahn's sorcerer, due to Raiden's influence. Without Shang Tsung having an impact in the court, Shao Kahn's rule was much more pragmatic. Species that had previously been nearly eradicated for defying him were now allowed to act as enforcers for Shao Kahn's rule, albeit with penalties for defying him. When Earthrealm merged with Outworld, the Elder Gods did not interfere. The rules of Mortal Kombat were upheld, with no ill play from Shao Kahn.

It has been ten years since that fateful tournament. With Earthrealm slowly growing used to Shao Kahn's dictatorship, albeit with resistance factions, a new Mortal Kombat tournament has begun. However, rather than a realm at stake, the offer is for a position in the royalty that now rules over the vast majority of the realms, as well as a chance for the kombatants to prove their strength.

Well, as the blurb says, this RP is quite inspired from the Mortal Kombat 9 story, albeit with a twist. There are some things to clear up, and now is the best time.

Point 1: Due to shifting around story elements, this game will have plenty of room for creative interpretation. If you choose to play a canon character, do not feel afraid to rework them to fit your playstyle.

Point the Second: The timeline does cause some issues with characters that significantly changed between timelines. For example, take Sub-Zero. Human in the original games, made into a cyborg in MK9. How does this RP address that? Quite simply, both versions exist, with their own unique personalities. For the sake of avoiding confusion, of course, they should be given different names.

Point 3: This RP will be run by myself and Inerrant Lust as co-GMs. If you have questions, concerns, comments, rants, raves, or insults, please direct them to both of us, so we can both weigh in on the appropriate response.

Alright, the fun part of any RP (at least, in my opinion): the character sheets. I will be stealing the format from Inerrant Lust's past RP, as that format worked quite well.

If you have a picture of your character, put it there
Or there
Put the kombatant name here
Real Name: If your character's kombatant name differs from their real name, put their real name here
Profession: What do they do when they aren't kicking ass?
Origin: Which realm do they come from?
Resides: Where do they live?
Species: Due to the converging timelines, pretty much any species is available. Other than Shokan. Shokan are too hard to balance, what with the extra arms and ridiculous strength.
Weapons: What weapons, if any, do they use?
Fighting Style: How do they fight?
Alignment: Are they good? Bad? A bit of both?

Biography: This is how you let us know about your character. What happened in the past, why they are fighting, their personality, and so on. Make it at least 2 paragraphs, and the more detail, the better

OOC Notes Anything you wish to request out of character
Permissions What do you feel comfortable happening with and to your character?

If you don't have a picture, put a decently detailed description in their biography.

And now the less fun part, also known as rules. I'm fairly easy-going when it comes to rules. Generally, I encourage freedom in posting. My main rule is to respect the other RPers. That means no god-moding, no insulting players...basically, don't treat any of the players how you wouldn't like to be treated.

Well, if I haven't bored you, and you feel interested in the RP, let us know by posting in this thread. If we get enough response, I'll open up an OOC and characters thread, which is where sheets will be posted. I repeat, that is where sheets will be posted. If you want to make a sheet and send it to Inerrant Lust and me, feel free, but this is JUST an interest check thread, not for character sheets.

OOC/Characters
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

NubianLegend

In interested, I was hoping for something like this.

Neysha

Is it just Mortal Kombat characters that are the canon characters that are allowed in this RP?
My Request Thread
Ons & Offs/Role-Plays Current and Past
FemDex: Index of Fictional Women
F-List Profiles: Constance Carrington, Damashi, SCP6969
Prepare For The Next Eight Years
Find me on Discord at: mnblend6567
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

NubianLegend

Quote from: Neysha on June 03, 2015, 09:03:42 PM
Is it just Mortal Kombat characters that are the canon characters that are allowed in this RP?

Good question, I'm dying to know.

thebobmaster

Quote from: Neysha on June 03, 2015, 09:03:42 PM

No. If you have an idea for a character that isn't canon, go for it.

Oh! On that note, while I'll discuss a final figure with my fellow co-GM (and will update this post when I have one), you are not limited to only one character at a time.

eternaldarkness

Oh man, I want in. Calling dibs on Jason Voorhees.

thebobmaster

Well, he is canon. Might be difficult to interact with the other players, though. What with the whole "no talking" thing.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: thebobmaster on June 04, 2015, 04:13:56 PM
Well, he is canon. Might be difficult to interact with the other players, though. What with the whole "no talking" thing.

I've got that covered already. He'll be possessing a normal person who becomes Jason under certain conditions and can sort of direct his actions intelligently.

thebobmaster

OK, after conferring with my fellow co-GM, we have decided that anyone interested in this RP can make/claim as many characters as they feel comfortable playing. That said, be sure to leave some kombatants for others who may want to play a potentially important role.

eternaldarkness

Sweet. Soon as the character thread is up I'll post Jason and his handlers shared character sheet.

thebobmaster

OOC and Character Sheets topic is up!

This does not mean we aren't still accepting interest, of course. Merely that there is now a place for character sheets.

Inerrant Lust

I never thought those guests characters were very thematically... appropriate, even if they might be canon. :p

I mean, then you'd have to include Predator, Kratos, and even Batman or Superman... Does anyone want to see Captain Marvel fight Scorpion? :P That's just my two cents, but I will take a back seat to whatever bobmaster decides. :P

There's a few canon characters I don't mind playing, but I also have ideas for new ones as well. Quite possibly Vēśyā, an Indian warrior from the 16th century, defeated and raped by Goro and then left for dead. She was offered to Shao Kahn and he did some magic shit to her and now she has some of his power and personality in her. Even so, she's an outworld slave... forced to serve the sexual desires of their kombatants and also to fight earthrealm's champions.

Think about that for a second, a genderswapped Shao Kahn being made a sex slave. She's pissed. :p

I might take futa!Jade as well. Though I have to take in consideration how all these alternate timelines could have had an impact on the canon characters' mentalities... Heh... Mentality!

Neysha

Quote from: thebobmaster on June 04, 2015, 12:13:58 AM
No. If you have an idea for a character that isn't canon, go for it.

Oh! On that note, while I'll discuss a final figure with my fellow co-GM (and will update this post when I have one), you are not limited to only one character at a time.

Cool, I was thinking of maybe using a canon character that isn't from Mortal Kombat. :)
My Request Thread
Credit for Avatar goes to "LoveandSqualor" on Deviant Art. (and Hayley Williams)

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on June 04, 2015, 07:29:55 PM
I never thought those guests characters were very thematically... appropriate, even if they might be canon. :p

I mean, then you'd have to include Predator, Kratos, and even Batman or Superman... Does anyone want to see Captain Marvel fight Scorpion? :P That's just my two cents, but I will take a back seat to whatever bobmaster decides. :P

There's a few canon characters I don't mind playing, but I also have ideas for new ones as well. Quite possibly Vēśyā, an Indian warrior from the 16th century, defeated and raped by Goro and then left for dead. She was offered to Shao Kahn and he did some magic shit to her and now she has some of his power and personality in her. Even so, she's an outworld slave... forced to serve the sexual desires of their kombatants and also to fight earthrealm's champions.

Think about that for a second, a genderswapped Shao Kahn being made a sex slave. She's pissed. :p

I might take futa!Jade as well. Though I have to take in consideration how all these alternate timelines could have had an impact on the canon characters' mentalities... Heh... Mentality!

Damn :(

I just finished Jason's sheet, but I guess I'll pass then since one GM isn't digging it and writing another sheet on a smartphone is not an idea I relish. Thanks for the consideration anyway though.

Inerrant Lust

I am making a policy of deferring to bobmaster's judgement on this one. :P

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on June 04, 2015, 08:42:07 PM
I am making a policy of deferring to bobmaster's judgement on this one. :P

Well if it makes you feel any better MK already has cyborg ninjas, a soul-stealing shapeshifter sorcerer, a fire-spewing hell skeleton and a god as characters. In light of that, Jason is kind of tame and no less believable.

Inerrant Lust

Well, Metal Gar has cyborg ninjas, giant robots, immortal vampires, ghosts, and mind-controlling arms (or just Nanomachines!)... But would Solid Snake belong in the MK universe? Sure, Jason isn't necessarily out of place in a game like Mortal Kombat, but what if he was in the story mode? Fun for a cross-over or a guest appearance in a fighting game, but I find that this could hurt the atmosphere of the RP.. making it less 'Mortal Kombat' and more along the lines of a cross-over RP in its own right.

To me, that sort of thing is better off kept to a setting/game/story dedicated to that purpose...  ::)

eternaldarkness

I see your point, even if your point is still splitting some very fine hairs, but I'm out regardless so it doesn't matter. Even if I played him, it wouldn't be a fun experience with a GM that doesn't like the character. I will say though that allowing OC's is the same thing. What if they're in story mode?

Neysha

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 04, 2015, 09:42:22 PM
I see your point, even if your point is still splitting some very fine hairs, but I'm out regardless so it doesn't matter. Even if I played him, it wouldn't be a fun experience with a GM that doesn't like the character. I will say though that allowing OC's is the same thing. What if they're in story mode?

Bah first Black Lagoon and now this... you leave every Group RP I want to join! :p

I was going to join as Veronica from Fallout: New Vegas... just to completely and harmlessly irk Inerrant Lust. ;)
My Request Thread

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Neysha on June 04, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
Bah first Black Lagoon and now this... you leave every Group RP I want to join! :p

I was going to join as Veronica from Fallout: New Vegas... just to completely and harmlessly irk Inerrant Lust. ;)

Sorry Neysha :D I swear it isn't you. I just tend to rub people the wrong way in group RP's. I know you'll kick much ass for me though.

thebobmaster

Just to be clear, this is for original characters and Mortal Kombat characters only! Sorry if I seemed a little unclear on that, but that's the case. If we bring in characters from other franchises...That's an entirely different RP. Literally, there's another RP with that exact scenario.

When I said OC's, I didn't mean characters from other franchises being brought into the Mortal Kombat universe. Being inspired by someone, that's fine. Actually bringing that exact character into the RP? That's not what this RP is all about.

If you want an RP with that concept, Inerrant Lust put up a nice link to it. I wish you the best of luck if you choose to go that way, and there are truly no hard feelings. Again, however, this RP is for canon MK kombatants only (and I'm feeling really iffy on guest fighters, for the same reason as Lust. I can be persuaded, but be sure to run your idea for that past me. And by guest fighters, I mean guest fighters that have already been in Mortal Kombat.), or completely original characters.

Neysha

I'll try and think of an original Earthrealm character that hopefully will add to the atmosphere of Mortal Kombat. Having not played a Mortal Kombat game since one or two, only Youtube videos and wikis and word of mouth are my sources on the canon so I'm kind of up a poopee creek without a paddle in regards to actual canon, but I think I have enough brains to not ruin the settings atmosphere if I make an original character. ;)

Thanks for the clarification by the way. Kinda bummed, but it is your RP and I do respect that. I'm just a big crossover slut and well, that RP Inerrant Lust linked to isn't exactly receptive to me anymore (haha) so I figure I can still stick around and brighten the day of y'all with my (not so) delightfully quirky demeanor and habits! ;)
My Request Thread

Inerrant Lust

If you have the time or the desire, the entirety of MK9's story mode is on youtube, and that one is a continuity reboot of the first three games in the series. Even so, it is as eternaldarkness said- this is a setting full of cyborg ninjas, shapeshifters, and gods. :P It seems to have an all myths are true vibe to it.

thebobmaster

OK, after some discussion with my co-GM, partially due to some confusion on both the concept as well as how it will work, we've decided to rework the concept. Check the first post shortly to see the change in plot.

eternaldarkness

So did this idea die out before it even started?

Diesel Heart

I'll put my interest into this.

I'll be bringing in an Original Character.  If I were to choose a canon character, it would be Stryker but that's just a comment more than a reservation.

thebobmaster

@eternaldarkness: If I get enough renewed interest now that I've made the plot a bit clearer, I'll start it up.

@WardenIce: Welcome aboard!

Neysha

Quote from: eternaldarkness on June 26, 2015, 09:12:39 AM
So did this idea die out before it even started?

No Jason Voorhees to hold it together. ;)  So of course it did!  :p j/k

Thinking of making another character?

I may if you may. ;)
My Request Thread

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Neysha on June 26, 2015, 10:50:46 PM
No Jason Voorhees to hold it together. ;)  So of course it did!  :p j/k

Thinking of making another character?

I may if you may. ;)

Yep, I am. And I owe you posts :P

Foxy DeVille

Hmmm... I kinda recall the earlier game. Perhaps I could whip something up to help feed my extreme urges.

thebobmaster

OK, few things. Firstly, OOC is here. If you have a character sheet, send it in to me via PM. If I approve it, I will post it.

Due to a previously stated time constraint issue on my co-GM's part, I've decided to take over as sole GM. However, any previously stated rules will remain in place.

eternaldarkness

Showtime is approved and posted! I can't wait to get going.

thebobmaster

I think I'll start before much longer, but I'm contemplating whether to make another character first. As a reminder, you are allowed multiple characters, if you want to create another kombatant, or claim a canon one.  As of now, the only canon kombatant claimed is Khameleon. Hop over to OOC to see the characters, as well as see the kombatant's alignment breakdowns.

EdwardShane

Hmmm...this is an interesting concept.  However there is one thing in particular I am curious about.  Is this supposed to be rather PvP heavy, or is it something a bit different?

thebobmaster

It's something a little different. There will definitely be a PvP element, but I also want to give people the chance to develop their characters. Think of this as something similar to the story mode in the new Mortal Kombat games.

EdwardShane

All righty.  I may work on refining sort of a mental rough draft for something I have in mind for an OC that won't go away then lol.