Upcoming games YOU are excited about.

Started by Sel Nar, July 17, 2012, 08:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sel Nar

While lollygagging in the OT subforum, I keep noticing threads made for individual games that people are excited about; so, I figured 'why not make a thread for everyone to talk about the upcoming games that they're Most exited about?

So, with little fanfare and no further ado, I may as well list off my current wishlist/preorder list.

Guild Wars 2. If anyone's been lurking in the IRC, or read the other threads about 'which MMO are you looking forwards to' you'll have seen that I have a Massive Gamer-Boner going for GW2, and I'm practically salivating at the opportunity to play it for more than 48-hour stretches during the beta weekends. (releases August 28)

Guild Wars 2 Gamescom 2011 Trailer [HD] (Gamescom 2011 trailer)

The Last of Us. From the minds of the madmen that made the Uncharted series, little has been shown, but the dynamic of the two main characters and the world being more like 'I am Legend' instead of Fallout gives it a pass; the fact that it's more about evading enemies than blasting hordes of mooks also makes it notably impressive. (Release 2013)

The Last of Us E3 2012 Gameplay [HD] (E3 2012 Gameplay)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown. The Original X-COM (Enemy Unknown in Europe) was one of my first PC games and formed a solid opinion of the series; It's dark, it's creepy, the music is slow and understated, and defending the world from an alien invasion os harder than it sounds. the upcoming reimagining from Firaxis, which includes well over half of the original game's developers seeks to retain the original atmosphere and bowel-clenching horror the first time you enter a terror site and see Chrysalids converging on your Skyranger, only with modern concessions to make the game more accessible such as the removal of the oft-maligned Time Unit system for a simpler move/action system. (release October 9)

XCOM: Enemy Unknown "Last Stand" E3 2012 Trailer (E3 2012 'Last Stand' Trailer)

Aliens: Colonial Marines. Remember in Aliens, when Hicks says that they'll be declared 'overdue' after 16 days, before any reinforcements would be sent? Well, reinforcements were sent. 2 Battalions. Things go horribly, horribly wrong, as you'd expect from a first encounter with a hostile 8-foot tall aggressive intelligent parasitoid lifeform that bleeds concentrated acid that likes to eat faces and hide in dark corners. (release Slated for Early 2013)

Aliens: Colonial Marines Suspense Trailer (E3 2012 'Suspense' trailer)

I have two more on my List, but they'll be in the next post...

Sel Nar

And, part 2 of my 'wishlist'/ 'preorder' list is as follows.

Tomb Raider. This series has been on my radar in one way or another since 1998's Tomb Raider 2 (Which I got with my original Playstation. Shut up, I'm old), and, after Crystal Dynamics' run via TR: Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld, I'm glad that the tenth in the series is a full reboot, showcasing the start of Miss Croft's survivalist and adventurer lifestyle, combined with a more realistic, darker storyline looks interesting. There are a few concernes about subject matter, but games have been around long enough that they should start to push towards darker stories without being overly sensationalistic. (release Slated for March 5 2013)

Exclusive Tomb Raider Trailer: Crossroads - E3 2012

Metro: Last Light. Sequel to the rough diamond Metro 2033, Last Light has been refined, polished and trimmed to become a sparkling Jewel of what Post-apocalypse can become, instead of the faux-1950's optimism of the Fallout universe's 'I live in a desert but I have a raygun' ethos. Like its older sibling, Last Light follows the story of Artyom as the nuclear winter that had gripped the world begins to thaw, twenty years after armageddon. If you want a post-apoacalypse that Feels Post-apocalyptical, Metro might just be what you're looking for.

Metro: Last Light - E3 2012 Gameplay Demo - "Welcome to Moscow" (Official U.S. Version) (E3 2012 Unedited Gameplay)

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 17, 2012, 09:00:31 PM
Tomb Raider. This series has been on my radar in one way or another since 1998's Tomb Raider 2 (Which I got with my original Playstation. Shut up, I'm old)

I still have an Intellivision so what does that make me? Ancient?

I'll agree with you on the new Tomb Raider... I really want to play it and a big part of it for me is the fact that Lara looks more realistic now. I know big breasts made part of her fans, but still I like the more streamlined Lara and the fact we get to see her before she's a badass tomb raider.

I only have a couple other games I'm really looking forward to at the moment...

Darksiders 2

I loved the first and now you get to play as Death. I'm also interested in seeing what they come up with for a story....

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

I'm a huge Transformers fan... Own all the original series on dvd plus the animated movie and yes I even believe I shed a tear when they killed off Optimus. Hell I even watched when it debuted on tv...(OK I'm ancient) When the first game came out it was in my hands in a heartbeat. I liked and had a blast....

Now we get a new one coming and what do they add? The chance to play as a ticked off Grimlock and the Dinobots are my favorites of the bunch. Add in the chance to play a section of the game as the mighty Bruticus and I had an instant joygasam....

avorae

The new tomb raider and the last of us are both on my list of games I'd love to get. Unfortunately I will not be able to afford any new games in the forth coming year due to having to pay off hospital bills and the credit card.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Chris Brady

Dishonored

Dishonored -- Debut Trailer

Steampunk and assassins, and magic?  Sign me up!

I'm also wanting GW2, and Darksiders 2.  Last of Us is another Survival Horror with Zombies, which I never liked in the first place.  I'm sure the game will be awesome (Naughty Dog is making it, and they're pretty good), but I can't take zombies seriously, it's too stupid a topic for me to care about.  Tomb Raider...  Maybe?  I mean, I'm not sure I like the idea of having an almost rape be the defining moment of Lara Croft, not to mention that this looks more like yet another Survival Horror game, only this time, nothing supernatural (which is odd, because the original TR game had a bloody T-Rex in it, not to mention magic a la Raiders of The Lost Ark.)

Oh!  Before I forget Sleeping Dogs, where True Crime: Hong Kong went:

Sleeping Dogs E3 Trailer

But I won't have the money for that...

Likely a couple more, but gaming overload!
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Callie Del Noire

Definitely looking forward to Dishonored and Assasins Creed.

Chris Brady

RIGHT!  AC3!  Another I forgot.

And I'm right there with War for Cybertron!  I wants it!  NAO!

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Ehh...I don't really do "excited" for games I haven't been able to try firsthand yet (as in a demo) as there's always far too much hype for the content.

That said, things I'm keeping an eye on:

Watch Dogs
[E3 2012] Watch Dogs - E3 Gameplay Demo

Torchlight II

Borderlands 2
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

TyKing

Watchdogs looks really nice and you can tell it's Ubisoft because the technology reminds me of the animus links from AC. Dishonored is the game I'm most looking forward to playing though.

Nazz

The 'Dog' titles are my two new things to keep watch on.

Some people I know don't really not share this with me, but Resident Evil 6 is one I have some high hopes for.

Resident Evil 6 - E3 Official Trailer (US)

I'm dissapointed at the lack of Claire so far, but there's too much epic to not be had. Chris and Leon finally in the same game? Fuck yeah. Sherry finally coming back? Fuck yeah. Moving while shooting? Fuck. Yeah.
- - - - - - -
- - - - - - Ons 'n Offs - - - - - -
- - - Nazz's Storyboard (Requests) - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(( Currently back in college. Stuff's gonna be a lot slower from me! ))

Hemingway

The Last of Us. It was a huge reason I even got a PS3 in the first place. Of course, since getting it, I've discovered how awesome some of the games are, and the game I'm most looking forward to is ...

Metal Gear Solid 5! Which I'll probably have to wait a few years for. But it's been announced! Apparently Solid Snake will once again be in the game, which is slightly disappointing to me - I would've liked another game playing as Big Boss, or even better, playing as The Boss. They were at one time talking about making a game set during World War 2, concerning The Boss and the Cobra Unit, which I would've loved to play. But then again, aside from Portable Ops, not one of these games has disappointed me. I have confidence they'll manage to put out something great once more.

I'm also really looking forward to Beyond: Two Souls. Heavy Rain is one of the best games I've ever played in terms of character and story - and those are, to me, the most important parts.

Sasquatch421

I don't know I really don't try demo's. I prefer to be surprised and usually rent before I buy. There are exceptions like the remake of Splatterhouse, I bought that in spite of lackluster reviews and I still enjoy playing it. Though I did have to do a double take when the Terror mask started calling me names like did Tigger just call me that?

I did forget about Sleeping Dogs though it does look interesting. As for Watchdogs I don't know enough about it yet. I am looking forward to Bioshock Infinite though and Halo 4. With Halo I'm just interested to see what the new 343 can do since Bungie is doing their own thing.

I did forget another one...Metal Gear Rising. I think I might be the only fan of Raiden in the world, but I do want to see what they are cooking up for him. Of course I wouldn't mind another Metal Gear playing as Big Boss either....

I'm not sure about Resident Evil 6 though... I feel like the series started dropping off after Code Veronica. 4 did have some good things about it, but the story began to bore me after saving Ashley how many times. I did like that they put in Ada with her own playable scenarios though and showing what she was doing while Leon was wandering about.

Hemingway

Metal Gear Rising might be fun - I don't mind Raiden, at least not as he appears in MGS4. I'm just not convinced the game will have the right gameplay style, and that it won't have the same depth as the MGS series.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on July 18, 2012, 07:40:20 AMI'm also really looking forward to Beyond: Two Souls. Heavy Rain is one of the best games I've ever played in terms of character and story - and those are, to me, the most important parts.
So you didn't care that the entire game was nothing more than a giant quick time event?  That's what turned me off of the demo.  And I have nothing against quick times, in fact I like them, I do love the God of War Series after all.  But HR was QTE after QTE after QTE.  And it was getting repetitive.  Sadly according to a couple of people who tried the E3 presentation says the new game isn't any different.

Then again, David Cage has gone of record saying he hates gaming, he'd rather be making movies.  And given the fact that he's trying to get Hollywood voice talent for Two Souls doesn't surprise me, nor fill me with any hope that this will actually be a game.

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 18, 2012, 03:06:19 PM
So you didn't care that the entire game was nothing more than a giant quick time event?  That's what turned me off of the demo.  And I have nothing against quick times, in fact I like them, I do love the God of War Series after all.  But HR was QTE after QTE after QTE.  And it was getting repetitive.  Sadly according to a couple of people who tried the E3 presentation says the new game isn't any different.

Then again, David Cage has gone of record saying he hates gaming, he'd rather be making movies.  And given the fact that he's trying to get Hollywood voice talent for Two Souls doesn't surprise me, nor fill me with any hope that this will actually be a game.

Nope! It had great characters and a fantastic story. Given how cinematic it is, I don't see how it could've been made any different. The technology for that just doesn't exist yet. And if the game was less cinematic, it simply wouldn't have been as good at telling the story.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Nazz on July 18, 2012, 02:34:36 AM
The 'Dog' titles are my two new things to keep watch on.

Some people I know don't really not share this with me, but Resident Evil 6 is one I have some high hopes for.

I'm dissapointed at the lack of Claire so far, but there's too much epic to not be had. Chris and Leon finally in the same game? Fuck yeah. Sherry finally coming back? Fuck yeah. Moving while shooting? Fuck. Yeah.

I'm not buying RE 6 as it has been said that we where to have zombies again and I'm sorry I'm not buying the zombies packing uzi's.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Sel Nar

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on July 18, 2012, 05:39:07 PM
I'm not buying RE 6 as it has been said that we where to have zombies again and I'm sorry I'm not buying the zombies packing uzi's.

Personally, I'm fairly certain that the zombies will be armed in much the same way the classic zombies are as per the GCN's REmake. (Slow shamblers, if you don't cook 'em or pop their heads, they eventually turn into crimson heads, which are fucking brutal, which eventually turn into Lickers)

Capcom may be insane and have a reputation of beating otherwise good franchises to death (Megaman), but they're not totally stupid; If any zombies have weapons, they'd likely either be infected with Las Plagas (as per RE4 and 5), or they're unable to operate the weapons and basically act as ammo pinatas.

Darkcide

They have different enemy types in RE6. The ones who have weapons? They aren't zombies. They also said the zombies in the game will move faster and be a little more cunning in comparison to the original games, but at the same time they won't have the intellect or capabilities of the enemies of the last few games.

As far as what I'm looking forward to? The new Rome Total War and the new Tomb Raider looks pretty badass.

Inkidu

XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Need I say more? Did you see the trailer? Not only is it a TBS for consoles, it's a cool as hell TBS for consoles.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on July 18, 2012, 05:21:08 PM
Nope! It had great characters and a fantastic story. Given how cinematic it is, I don't see how it could've been made any different. The technology for that just doesn't exist yet. And if the game was less cinematic, it simply wouldn't have been as good at telling the story.

Given Mr. Cages attitude, the tech COULD be there, but he won't be using it...  But hey, if you liked it, more power to you!  Hope this game rocks your world too!  Gaming is for everyone, I say!

Ridcully

Fifa 13 of course - to waste more hours of my life playing with underdog teams online against the Christiano Ronaldo- and Messi-fanboys.

But this year, watchout fanboys. Balotelli is really, really angry. >.>

Sasquatch421

I have looked more into Watchdogs and I must say, I really want to try it out. Now of course I found more games that I'm excited for....

Splinter Cell: Blacklist~ Sam is back and from what I have read they added more to the game. The only downside on my mind is that Micheal Ironside won't be voicing Sam anymore... It's like playing a Batman game that doesn't have Mark Hamil voicing the Joker. I do know that Mark won't voice him anymore but still....

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2~ I'm usually a sucker for Castlevania even if I have always loved the 2d versions better. Well then of course every try at a more advanced Castlevania failed until the first Lords of Shadow which was awesome! Now? You get to play as the big D himself....

Borderlands 2~ I did love the first one and it was a blast to play with friends, even with the endless fetch quests. Now with the sequel boasting 58 hours of gameplay this could be a deffinite weekend with friends game...

Far Cry 3~ Still love the Far Cry series even if the second wasn't as great in my book. Now with a step back into of a more story driven game, I'll be interested in seeing what the main character goes through.

Injustice: Gods Among Us~ I'm not the biggest DC fan, but from the first shot of Solomon Grundy going toe to toe with Wonder Woman I was interested. A DC fighting game being done by NetherRealm Studios makes you wonder how many extras they will shove onto the disc and how many characters will be in the finished version. Then again I just might be wanting to play as Harley...

South Park: The Stick of Truth~ Good South Park games really haven't been around lately since the N64 FPS. Which truth be told wasn't that great, but I had a blast anyways. Now they are stepping into RPG territory and I'm eager to see what kinds of troubles the boy's stir up....

Hemingway

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on July 20, 2012, 08:11:31 AM
Splinter Cell: Blacklist~ Sam is back and from what I have read they added more to the game. The only downside on my mind is that Micheal Ironside won't be voicing Sam anymore... It's like playing a Batman game that doesn't have Mark Hamil voicing the Joker. I do know that Mark won't voice him anymore but still...

Michael Ironside not voicing Sam ( but instead some guy with an utterly forgettable voice ) is not the only problem with that game. It's also problematic that, according to the trailer they've released, Sam is the head of the newly formed 4th Echelon. What exactly 4th Echelon is, I don't know, but I think Jack Bauer would be right at home. Conviction wasn't very subtle, but Blacklist takes it to a whole new level, with Sam calling in airstrikes and whatnot. Seriously, these games used to be about sneaking, about not killing people unnecessarily ( at least if you wanted a good score ), about remaining undetected, patiently working your way forward, and so on.

Splinter Cell is dead to me.

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on July 20, 2012, 08:11:31 AMCastlevania Lords of Shadow 2~ I'm usually a sucker for Castlevania even if I have always loved the 2d versions better. Well then of course every try at a more advanced Castlevania failed until the first Lords of Shadow which was awesome! Now? You get to play as the big D himself....

Reminds me, I should play that game. I mean, I have it, I just ... can't seem to get into it properly. It's fun, and it seems to have a pretty good story, but it has some serious problems. Mainly having the worst camera angles in the history of modern gaming. They should've stuck with the regular over-the-shoulder camera for everything except the platforming parts. Having the camera fixed and so far away that you can barely see the enemies in combat is ... not a good idea.

Chris Brady

Right, X-Com: Enemy Unknown is also on my list of wanted games.

HairyHeretic

I'm another one waiting for XCOM.

My big one at the moment is Planetside 2 though

PlanetSide 2 Cinematic Teaser

PlanetSide 2 Empires at War E3 2012 Trailer

Unity. Loyalty. Victory.

As well as that, Mechwarrior Online

MechWarrior reboot trailer [HD]

where I shall be pledging my loyalty to the Coordinator of the Draconis Combine

and last, but by no means least, Age of Wulin

Age of Wulin GamesCom 2011 Trailer

I'm hoping for beta access to any or all of them.

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Norwegian One

Oh god, there's so many games I'm looking forward to.

Gears of War Judgment, Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, Warfighter, Rome II, Dishonored, and Injustice: Gods Among Us, just to mention a few :)
Ons and Offs - Picture plots - Cravings - Activity and general chat - Bookmark for activity log and updates on my posting speed
Currently not available for new RPs, random PMs still encouraged! Also, feel free to check out my threads. Feedback is always welcome! - Current response time:  Within 1 week.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 18, 2012, 06:20:08 PM
Personally, I'm fairly certain that the zombies will be armed in much the same way the classic zombies are as per the GCN's REmake. (Slow shamblers, if you don't cook 'em or pop their heads, they eventually turn into crimson heads, which are fucking brutal, which eventually turn into Lickers)

Capcom may be insane and have a reputation of beating otherwise good franchises to death (Megaman), but they're not totally stupid; If any zombies have weapons, they'd likely either be infected with Las Plagas (as per RE4 and 5), or they're unable to operate the weapons and basically act as ammo pinatas.

Nope, they are zombies with guns and it isn't the Las Plagas as they were not zombies they where humans that where being controlled by a parasite not a virus. 

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/04/in-resident-evil-6-even-the-zombies-have-guns/

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/resident-evil-6/1222665p1.html

The zombies that wield guns have contracted the C virus.

Wolfy

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance.

...and also The Secret World.

Shjade

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on July 22, 2012, 09:28:02 PM
The zombies that wield guns have contracted the C virus.

The C standing for "Come on, really?"
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on July 22, 2012, 09:50:49 PM
The C standing for "Come on, really?"

Yup, it is the main reason of why I am not buying it.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Also Weskers kid

Auron

Sex Bobomb

Bioshock Infinite. My entire gaming life is about that game at the moment. Shook hands with Ken Levine himself and got him, and the VA for Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth to sign a couple of posters.

Other than that? Guild Wars 2 I suppose. I heard Day Z is getting a standalone, that could be awesome.

Shjade

Quote from: Sex Bobomb on July 24, 2012, 08:19:00 AM
I heard Day Z is getting a standalone, that could be awesome.

Not the same people making it.
◕/◕'s

SecretG07

I do believe that WatchDogs is going to be really good!
I'm also looking forward to getting into some Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 with my boys.
Assassin's Creed 3 is going to be good hopefully.
Gamer by day. Gamer by night.

Chris Brady

Apparently, Ubisoft wants to make Watchdogs a signature titles for themselves.   Not sure what this means, but I'm assuming they want it all 'in house' rather then get an outside team to work on it?

Dunno...

PennyNarrows

Guild Wars 2, The Last Guardian and Dragon Age 3 (which I know is not coming out for donkey's years but I am so excited!)

Shjade

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 24, 2012, 02:15:09 PM
Apparently, Ubisoft wants to make Watchdogs a signature titles for themselves.   Not sure what this means, but I'm assuming they want it all 'in house' rather then get an outside team to work on it?

Dunno...

Maybe, or they want it to be something they're known for and turn it into a franchise, a la Assassin's Creed. I can't think of what else "signature title" would mean.
◕/◕'s

Sasquatch421

Quote from: PennyNarrows on July 24, 2012, 05:15:21 PM
Guild Wars 2, The Last Guardian and Dragon Age 3 (which I know is not coming out for donkey's years but I am so excited!)

It will still probably be out before FF Versus XIII.... The way that game is going it's going to be the new Duke Nukem Forever....

PennyNarrows

Unfortunately, I think you might be right. :(

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on July 25, 2012, 02:11:00 PM
It will still probably be out before FF Versus XIII.... The way that game is going it's going to be the new Duke Nukem Forever....

Considering that new video of Versus has come out I say it will be out soon, but the news about a highly likely XIII-3 worries me.

Heaven Sent Blossom

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 24, 2012, 02:15:09 PM

Dunno...

It means they want to turn it into a yearly franchise the way they're trying to go with Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft; trying to become the new Activision since 2011.

Personally I'm looking forward to Bayonetta 2. Oh wait, no I'm not because it got canned due to a heady combination of Sega being dicks and the majority of the gaming populous having bad opinions about action games.
I'm not bitter. Not bitter at all.

Darksiders 2 will probably be good. I hope they refine the combat system since it already has a decent amount of depth and finesse and also hope they don't go overboard with the new bells and whistles. Darksiders was the best Zelda game in many, many years and they don't really need to tool around with that formula too much for the sequel in my opinion.

Fire Emblem 3DS is probably my most anticipated thing in the history of anything ever, I'm actually going to buy a 3DS for this game despite my previous "No region free? No sale!" stance. I'm a capricious bitch, don't judge me.
The lack of region free on a handheld is still utterly unacceptable though.

And that's a pretty depressingly small list of games to be excited about all things considered.

Oh and I guess I'm very tentatively excited for the new War for Cybertron game. However that depends entirely on if there is any truth to the rumours I've heard about the game having no co-op. If that's the case then it goes from day one to "buy it when it's £10, preferably preowned to ensure my money never reaches the hands of people who signed off on a decision that bad.". Which would be a shame but I never loved Transformers enough to be enslaved to them so I won't shed many tears about it.

Moraline

I was very disappointed in the direction that Funcom took with The Secret World.. but I'm still craving a modern day setting MMORPG.

So now I'll just sit back and wait for World of Darkness Online.  PM me if you know of any other modern day styled MMORPG's coming out and aren't first person shooters in mmo format. *blargh*

Swashbuckler

Quote from: Moraline on July 27, 2012, 08:56:24 PM
I was very disappointed in the direction that Funcom took with The Secret World.. but I'm still craving a modern day setting MMORPG.

So now I'll just sit back and wait for World of Darkness Online.  PM me if you know of any other modern day styled MMORPG's coming out and aren't first person shooters in mmo format. *blargh*

The only hope I have for MMO's is if Elder Scrolls Online actually happens.

Might give Planetside 2 a shot, but only because after 8 years, I am totally SOE's bitch...:P

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on July 27, 2012, 08:56:24 PM

The WoD MMO is not happening.  Or if it is, it'll be a disaster.  It's been in development hell for almost 7 years now, with nothing to show for it.

Casimir

I've seen amazing demos of the graphics technology for the WoD MMO over the past 3 years, but not a single hint that they're doing anything with it.

Now, I'm excited about the Deadpool game... I know it's probably gonna suck, but come on. Deadpool. Pew pew pew!
Hush Child, the darkness will rise from the deep... and carry you down into sleep.

Moraline

Quote from: Chris Brady on July 28, 2012, 05:23:10 AM
The WoD MMO is not happening.  Or if it is, it'll be a disaster.  It's been in development hell for almost 7 years now, with nothing to show for it.

That's a common misconception. While it was still in early development phase a couple of years ago they released artist renders - common thing for MMO's to do when a game is several years out from release. Prior to that they had only been in the initial concept phase and negotiations for CCP (Eve Online - game dev) to buy out Whitewolf (owner's of WoD.)  Now that they have combined houses they had to still internally negotiate the project direction.  This is about the time we got our initial artist renders for the game.  -- Again this is all fairly typical, especially when talking about 2 different companies merging and working together.

At roughly this time CCP had to take a step back to work on 'fixing' Eve Online after they made a couple of 'mistakes.'  They were already well underway in development with another project called DUST514 for the Xbox360.  Because of economic issues in the gaming industry (and the world) over the last couple of years CCP redeployed resources to the DUST514 game because it was further along in the development cycle. CCP cut some staff - normal after a merger with another company and a few more because of the tough economic times (you've probably noticed a lot of companies in the last couple of years scale back to protect themselves.)

So here we are at the present and just this past winter at EveFest they made all their big announcements about DUST514 release pending and the development of WoD Online.

World of Darkness - EVE Fanfest 2012 presentation (40+ Min Panel)

World of Darkness - EVE Fanfest 2012 presentation

Extract from the Video (Actual In-Game City Setting)
World of Darkness - Official ingame material (Empty city)

The game is fully in development.  It will happen in one form or another.  Eve is a great game (very unique) and I expect this game to be as well.

Cold Heritage

I'm looking forward to Transformers: Fall of Cybertron, even though I didn't really super enjoy War for Cyberton. That might be because I got WfC on console, and I found it awkward as heck to do the whole third person shooter thing with a controller.

Also super-stoked for Borderlands 2.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Moraline on July 28, 2012, 08:16:33 AM
The game is fully in development.  It will happen in one form or another.  Eve is a great game (very unique) and I expect this game to be as well.

All that you've shown me after five years of 'development' is a basic fly through of mostly static art assets for the 'game'.  No animations, no skill system, no character models, just a about two blocks of a cityscape, that may or may not end up in the final game.  No Alpha game play, not even pre-Alpha, nothing to show for all their 'work' on it, other than some basic stuff to tide the fans over.

And being made by a company who have not made any real game or gameplay other than flying space craft, which is completely different than animating a human figure.  That's not say Eve is not impressive.  It is.  Mostly because it's almost entirely player driven.  Their second project is an FPS which most game makers in the industry know is the easiest to pull off (Which apparently is why the entire market is flooded with them.  God, I'm tired of them...)

I stand by my statement.  It's dead.  Right now it's Duke Nukem level vapourware.  They claim to have started it in 2005?  2007?  And nothing.  We got nothing.  WoW, even with Blizzard's original 'It's done when it's done' philosophy, had something in the five years they worked on their game.

Pity, really.  Because the only other modern setting MMO is made by Funcom and frankly, they're not that good at making games.

Revelation

Right now....

Darksiders 2: First was good fun, second looks a solid improvement

Guild wars 2: Soooooooooooo stoked for this, really. Looks like a great MMO thats deviating in ways but remianing somewhat close to the formula.

Dark souls PC: Does this count if i've already played it, but its coming out on PC?

Mists of pandaria: Another MMO I play.

Borderlands 2: See dark siders

....Most of these are sequels *cough*

Hemingway

I need to add a game or two to my list.

First, Remember Me. Because apparently I can only enjoy games with pretentious titles these days. I just hope it's not another one of those games where unrealistic action gets in the way of the rest of the game.

And the second one, which I'm not really certain about, Far Cry 3. I couldn't bring myself to caring about the game initially, for various reasons. But watching some of the trailers and reading about the game, it seems like there might be more to it than over-the-top action. At least judging by the trailers, there are some psychological themes present, too. And I read earlier this month that they intend to, ah, justify the violence within the story. Apparently the people working on the game are as fed up as I am with casual mass murder in games, which I think is harmful. Harmful to the story, that is. I find it difficult to suspend my disbelief when a character with no formal training is able to survive extreme situations and kill entire squads of highly trained soldiers.

Chris Brady

And for those of you who want to know what Remember Me is here's a couple of videos:

The release:

Remember Me - Announcement_Trailer

Gameplay:

Remember Me - Memory Remix Gameplay

All I have to say is:

I LOVE ME SOME CYBERPUNK!

Driskoll

I've seen it mentioned here a few times already, but I'd say the one I'm waiting for most is Dishonored. I really want to try and go through the entire game without killing anyone like the devs keep talking about, though I get the feeling that will probably be frustrating at times. I'm kinda disappointed to hear that it won't be completely sandbox, but it'll still be good (I hope).

Even though I won't be able to play it, I'm pretty excited for War of the Roses too. I think there will be at least a few commentators uploading their gameplay, and who doesn't want to see 15th century PvP action?

War of the Roses Gameplay Trailer [HD]

Shjade

<-- this guy. PvP not usually my thing.

Looking at the trailer, I take it War of the Roses is either a new game from the same folks who made the Mount & Blade series, or it's an obvious ripoff of same?
◕/◕'s

Galactic Druid

'Remember Me' is now totally on my watch list. Not even kidding.

You guys can laugh at me all you want for this, but there is nothing, NOTHING I am more excited about at all than the Ratchet and Clank HD Collection coming out next week. I love that series more than anyone should love anything, and replaying the old ones in a format that won't look like crap on my TV will be awesome. Up Your Arsenol was one of the best games of all time, in my humble opinion. (Going Commando was amazing too.)
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

DarkSideofThinking

there are three games I'm really looking forward too. First is the sequel to Starcraft 2 - Wings of Liberty named Heart of the swarm. Also I'm curious about AC 3 playing in the US besides Washington etc.
And the 3rd game is Two Souls (I think that is the name) which is made by the same people who did Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain. Both were exceptionally good. Heavy Rain was just like a detective movie or maybe even thriller-like but you could play it instead of just watching and I think this game will be as good...or so I hope :)

Hemingway

Also, Halo 4. From what I read about it, it has real potential.

gaggedLouise

I've been intrigued about Nuclear Dawn ever since I first heard about it on demo stage in a gaming magazine five years ago. It's taken an eternity to become a finished title but now it has finally arrived. I'm not really much of a hardcore video gamer, so I'll have some training to do before getting started on ND, but I'd be very intersted in taking it on in time. It sounds both stylish, raw, atmospheric and unique. Anyone here played it?

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Lady Quixote

So got back from GenCon recently and would have to say Relic by Fantasy Flight games looks pretty good.  If you've ever played the game Talisman (which is awesome) it's pretty much Talisman in the Warhammer 40K universe.

Also looking forward to Borderlands 2.

Finally in the Cautiously optimistic catagory, DnD Next might be a boon for RP games, the base rules take us back to 2nd edition combat (no battle mat, no AOO's) with some things from Pathfinder and 4e thrown in (Cantrips and Oresans are there for Wizards and Clerics but are on par with 4e's At-Will powers in strength).

Matt

Hemingway

New Metal Gear Solid unveiled. Apparently has Big Boss.

Hnghhhhhhhhhngnnghhhhh. Gimme! NOW!

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on August 30, 2012, 05:04:00 PM

Snake Eater had Big Boss too, didn't it?

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 30, 2012, 09:10:15 PM
Snake Eater had Big Boss too, didn't it?

Yeah. And also in Portable Ops and Peace Walker.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on August 31, 2012, 07:39:37 AM
Yeah. And also in Portable Ops and Peace Walker.
OK then.  And honestly, after the way Solid went out (or so I was told, I stopped playing after 2) in the last game he was in, it would cheapen his exit if they brought him back.  Unless they clone him...

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on August 31, 2012, 02:01:50 PM
OK then.  And honestly, after the way Solid went out (or so I was told, I stopped playing after 2) in the last game he was in, it would cheapen his exit if they brought him back.  Unless they clone him...

My thoughts exactly. A game with Solid Snake would have to be a prequel or an interquel. The same is, strictly speaking, true of a game with Big Boss, in the sense that the story has ended and all. But a continuation to the Big Boss storyline of Big Boss after Peace Walker, well, that's more than welcome. The only game that could beat that would be a game wherein you played as The Boss during WW2.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on August 31, 2012, 05:58:39 PM
My thoughts exactly. A game with Solid Snake would have to be a prequel or an interquel. The same is, strictly speaking, true of a game with Big Boss, in the sense that the story has ended and all. But a continuation to the Big Boss storyline of Big Boss after Peace Walker, well, that's more than welcome. The only game that could beat that would be a game wherein you played as The Boss during WW2.

Again, showing ignorance, but unlike Solid's story, BB's was never fully told, right?

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 01, 2012, 12:58:58 AM
Again, showing ignorance, but unlike Solid's story, BB's was never fully told, right?

It depends on what you mean by fully. Snake Eater is basically his origin story, and there really isn't a lot that isn't known through conversations and such. Or through the games. There's still a lot that could bear to be depicted in an actual game, though. The internet is full of speculation as to what exactly, but ... I just spent about two hours searching for clues and information, so ... I think I might stop before I get completely carried away. XD

SinXAzgard21

Fifteen days and I get to pick up this and it is one of five in my area.

Stannous

Mists of Pandaria (WoW is a fine game; there's a reason it has over ten million players)
PlanetSide 2 (most anticipated game for me, ever, and I'm in the beta right now!)

RecklessRapscallion

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

CalypsoNymph

I gotta say, I'm looking forward to Persona 4: The Golden, Mugen Souls, and The Witch and the Hundred Knights.  I... tend to like games from Japan.  ^^;

I'm into transformations (mental and physical), gender bending (preferably male to female), mind control, forced impulses, love, wants/desires, etc. etc. etc., and being the sub... though I am learning to be a cruel Dom.  ;D  If you're interested in any of this, either PM me or take a look through my ons and offs or my cravings, and then PM me!  ;D

Chris Brady

The Witch and Hundred Knights!  Another game I want!  Right!  I forgot about it.  Thanks, CalypsoNymph.

SinXAzgard21

I'm a huge fan of Nippon Ichi so I will probably be picking up The Witch and Hundred Knights.

Chris Brady

Me too, I have all the Disgaea games except the last one, and I'm working on getting it.  I also have a PS2 game I should be playing, Soul Nomad and The World Eaters, I'll finish it, cuz it's just awesome.  And amazingly dark.

Raen234

My current list is quite large for games im looking forward to, ah so many interesting stories, so little time.

Bioshock Infinite
Halo4
Assassins Creed 3
Dishonored
Watch Dogs
Remember Me
XCOM Enemy Unknown

To name a few
Wheaton's Law - Dont be a dick My O/Os

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 05, 2012, 03:06:15 AM
Me too, I have all the Disgaea games except the last one, and I'm working on getting it.  I also have a PS2 game I should be playing, Soul Nomad and The World Eaters, I'll finish it, cuz it's just awesome.  And amazingly dark.

I just read up on Soul Nomad... think I'll go download it.

Chris Brady

It's got multiple endings, and for me?  I love that in games.

Immortal Flame

Oh, definitely the new Tomb Raider game!  I've been excited about that reboot since it was a whisper in the wind.  I, too, had all the originals on my PS1.  Funny, though, that one of my favorite Tomb Raiders was the completely unsuccessful "Angel of Darkness."  I was so disappointed not to have the originally intended sequels to that one, even if the control system was as terrible as the originals.

I'm also really looking forward to the new Assassins Creed.  I was a huge fan of Ezio, but I'm ready to move on to another storyline and another timeline. This one is looking like its going to be a wonderful addition to the franchise.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Hemingway on August 30, 2012, 05:04:00 PM

YES! When I saw the confirmation for this I couldn't help that little fangirl "squee" that escaped.  If the new game is as amazing as the last Big Boss edition, it will be a force to be reckoned with in this series.  I'm still curious to see what might be in store for Solid Snake in the future, as I've also heard tales that Kojima isn't quite done with him yet.

Chris Brady

Having seen the 'demo', which was 8 minutes of cutscene and 2 minutes of game play, I have to say, I was severely underwhelmed.  The animation during the game play was not very special, there were sliding feet when he changed position, the walking animation felt a little stiff, although the transition from walk to run was nicely done.  It was, however, very, very, very pretty.  Especially the patch rotation (of which there were too many, in my opinion), the rain effects, the facial animations, all very nice during the cut scene.

But the actual game play was...  Uninspired.

I was hoping for something more impressive after 5 years of work on the engine.

Hemingway

Quote from: Immortal Flame on September 08, 2012, 07:00:07 PM
YES! When I saw the confirmation for this I couldn't help that little fangirl "squee" that escaped.  If the new game is as amazing as the last Big Boss edition, it will be a force to be reckoned with in this series.  I'm still curious to see what might be in store for Solid Snake in the future, as I've also heard tales that Kojima isn't quite done with him yet.

I don't think the "isn't done with him" line should be taken as meaning there's a sequel to MGS4 coming. My money is on an HD version or a complete remake of MGS. If the quote I saw from Kojima that Ground Zeroes is a prequel to the actual MGS5, then for that I would guess something taking place before MGS. The old games ( before Solid ) are begging for a remake, too.

... and before I know it I've spent another hour searching the internet for clues as to what it might be. I'll ... I'll just leave it at that for now.

OT: Crysis 3, surprisingly. I loved Crysis when it first came out, but I really didn't like Crysis 2. I thought it was a lot of wasted potential. Then I played it again later, knowing what to expect, and I liked it a lot more.

Immortal Flame

Quote from: Hemingway on September 09, 2012, 07:27:26 AM
I don't think the "isn't done with him" line should be taken as meaning there's a sequel to MGS4 coming. My money is on an HD version or a complete remake of MGS. If the quote I saw from Kojima that Ground Zeroes is a prequel to the actual MGS5, then for that I would guess something taking place before MGS. The old games ( before Solid ) are begging for a remake, too.

... and before I know it I've spent another hour searching the internet for clues as to what it might be. I'll ... I'll just leave it at that for now.

OT: Crysis 3, surprisingly. I loved Crysis when it first came out, but I really didn't like Crysis 2. I thought it was a lot of wasted potential. Then I played it again later, knowing what to expect, and I liked it a lot more.

I'm not so sure I'd even want a direct sequel featured Solid, as I think it might just be a little bit too much considering how the last game ended.  I felt like there was some closure there.  But I would Love Love Love to see a remake of the original titles, or even just MGS.  It was exciting to be able to play it on the gamecube, but I'd really like to have access to that bad boy on a real HD console.  MGS was the first real videogame that I ever played, and its what got me into gaming in the first place.  I think I might suffer from your internet searching problem now.... ;) 

I've never actually played Crysis, though I've heard some really good things about it.  I love games that have a high replay value, though.  Even if the plot is more or less linear, if the storyline is enjoyable I love to replay them.  I'd like to see another Uncharted sequel, as I am completely in love with the first three, especially the last one.

Hemingway

Whatever Obsidian's new Project Eternity is. I love Obsidian to death.

Chris Brady

I used to like Obsidian.  But their last few attempts have been hit or miss.  I'm hopeful, but I'm hesitant on this.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Hemingway on September 17, 2012, 05:44:42 PM
Whatever Obsidian's new Project Eternity is. I love Obsidian to death.

FUNDED... in less than a day!

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 17, 2012, 06:32:10 PM
I used to like Obsidian.  But their last few attempts have been hit or miss.  I'm hopeful, but I'm hesitant on this.

New Vegas was far superior to FO3. A brilliant game.

Alpha Protocol? Brilliant but flawed. I liked the game, overall.

Dungeon Siege 3 I haven't played that much. It was too much of a console game.

I'm very hopeful about this Project Eternity. Obsidian have always written very compelling stories and brilliant characters, and then gameplay suffers because of publishers and deadlines. With Kickstarter, that's not a problem - or at least not as much of a problem. Given that this project is probably going to rake in millions more than their initial goal, I'm really excited to see what comes of it in the end.

Not to mention it's going to be M-rated, according to their Kickstarter video. That opens up some interesting options, too.

Chris Brady

Oh don't get me wrong, Obsidian are master, master story tellers!  But actual gameplay and mechanics are sometimes sloppy and just 'off'.  I love their stories, but I wish they would outsource the coding.

The Kinkster

PlanetSide 2
Assassin's Creed 3

And although not a game, Battlefield 3: Armored Kill; it's what Battlefield 3 should of been like in the first place. I just have yet to buy it.

On this whole Obsidian thing, I've been sold since Fallout New Vegas. Fallout 3 had a better world than NV, as well as a better (debatable) story line.

New Vegas felt kind of empty, even for such a wasteland.
I personally think Fallout 3's environments were a lot more appealing, I'd take Megaton over Freeside any day.

New Vegas' gameplay though was better than Fallout 3's, as well as the RPG elements.

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 17, 2012, 07:10:55 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, Obsidian are master, master story tellers!  But actual gameplay and mechanics are sometimes sloppy and just 'off'.  I love their stories, but I wish they would outsource the coding.

That, I think, is all the more reason to be excited about this Project Eternity. If the rumors are true, it's going to have that old school pre-rendered background graphical style, and tactical combat like the really great cRPGs. So in that case it's not like when Bioware tried to modernize the genre with Dragon Age. They have experience with that sort of thing.

I just hope they don't use a Baldur's Gate knock off ruleset. One thing I hate about those games is how frustrating combat can be. I don't mind difficulty, but that's different from having fights against enemy mages who shield themselves and then cast Death on your guys, or a system so unrealistic that more attacks miss than hit. I'm not saying that'd be a dealbreaker in any way, but those are my hopes, anyway. Aside from that, I'm just hoping for the deepest, most complex companions, stories and romances in video gaming. I'm keeping my expectations low, in other words.

( One thing I don't expect, which I don't think anyone should expect, is something as philosophical as Planescape: Torment. )

Chris Brady

Quote from: Hemingway on September 17, 2012, 07:41:31 PM
That, I think, is all the more reason to be excited about this Project Eternity. If the rumors are true, it's going to have that old school pre-rendered background graphical style, and tactical combat like the really great cRPGs. So in that case it's not like when Bioware tried to modernize the genre with Dragon Age. They have experience with that sort of thing.

Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't all that modern, and it's considered to be very 'blah'.  Again, they can tell great stories, game play...  I've got some trepidation here.

Hemingway

Quote from: Chris Brady on September 17, 2012, 08:14:10 PM
Dungeon Siege 3 wasn't all that modern, and it's considered to be very 'blah'.  Again, they can tell great stories, game play...  I've got some trepidation here.

The main problems I had with DS3 were that it was blatantly made for consoles, the lack of character customization, and the fairly shallow interactions you had with your companions and the game world. I don't think any of that's going to be a problem with this next thing. The point I was trying to make is that if they follow the formula of the Infinity Engine games, it's very difficult to go wrong. They're ... quite simple, I guess you could say.

SinXAzgard21

In a few hours Borderlands 2, leaving here in an hour to go wait for the midnight releasing.

Chris Brady

I wish I had the money for Borderlands 2.  Oh well, have fun Sin!

Arohk

I am looking forward to The Elder Scrolls Online.

I have been playing World of Warcraft for nearly 8 years now and was in the Vanilla Beta. I hate what it has become. Absolutely hate. I could go on for hours explaining every little detail. So if you want a heated debate, PM me or something. XD

But that's not what I'm here for. I'm here for TES!

I think it will be amazing. I've been following the series since it's origin point. If you have the time, go and take a look. There is not much of a trailer or anything at this point, as the game will come to fruition in 2013, but it's worth watching if you've been a recent fan, or an old fan. :)

I will leave Warcraft so fast for it.