What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 04, 2012, 12:16:25 PM
Why would I care enough about that enough to be angry? o.O I don't like MMO's and I'm not exactly familiar with Elder Scrolls lore, so nothing I'd actually like is being messed with.

....<_<>_>...

Well I'd hope you get angry enough to pull me behind the barn, but whatever, good sir.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Wolfy on May 03, 2012, 06:52:05 AM
And yet every male age 12-40 will pick it up regardless, simply because it's CoD.

They do it because they think it is cool to play games involving the military and combat situations. 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Inkidu

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on May 04, 2012, 03:40:08 PM
They do it because they think it is cool to play games involving the military and combat situations.
That's because it is and always has been to play it to most people.

Kids don't play pacifist. They play soldier. Ever play with a G.I. Joe? Doesn't matter if it's the playground or Xbox.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Bayushi

Quote from: Wolfy on May 04, 2012, 12:12:51 PMSo, they've just recently announced that Bethesda is working on an Elder Scroll MMO set 1000 years before Skyrim.
Bethesda isn't working on it.

Zenimax Media is developing the game. Granted, Bethesda and Zenimax are sister subsidiaries of whichever big video game conglomerate owns them (can't remember which), but that's where it is.

Brandon

Quote from: Wolfy on May 04, 2012, 12:12:51 PM
So, they've just recently announced that Bethesda is working on an Elder Scroll MMO set 1000 years before Skyrim.

You here that?

That's the sound of Sabby's Damnation. :D

I highly doubt that an MMO would come out for the elder scrolls. The games are best played as single person RPGs and having a ton of people who are also "heros of the land" would ruin a core aspect of the ES feel
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Inkidu

Quote from: Brandon on May 04, 2012, 05:24:06 PM
I highly doubt that an MMO would come out for the elder scrolls. The games are best played as single person RPGs and having a ton of people who are also "heros of the land" would ruin a core aspect of the ES feel
I agree.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on May 04, 2012, 05:24:06 PM

Oh ye of little faith.

The Elder Scrolls Online Teaser Trailer [HD]

There.

Commence your weeping. :D

Inkidu

It's going to play just like any other MMO sadly. Hotbars, third person, all that jazz. The saving grace is that it's being done by the parent company Zennimax, so it probably won't touch Bethesda proper. Still, they could save themselves a lot of time and money if they'd forwent it.

Hemingway

I wonder why they do it. Make MMOs that are, in one way or another, copies of WoW, I mean. WoW launched 8 years ago, it's still going strong. It isn't as attractive as it used to be to me personally, but it's got a heck of a lot of loyal players. They're not going to quit WoW for something that's like WoW, because, for all of WoW's flaws, nobody else can do it better. If, as information so far seems to suggest, this Elder Scrolls Online uses the same combat and control scheme as all those other MMOs, then the only selling point will be the setting.

While I don't agree that the Elder Scrolls doesn't lend itself to an MMO ( I think it would be perfect, actually ), the people who play the Elder Scrolls probably do so for the open-ended world, the aimless adventuring and the story. Take away those, as you more or less have to if the game's enough like WoW, and what's left? Nothing but an empty shell of a setting.

I'll probably end up getting it, because ... Daggerfall was my childhood. But then again, maybe I won't. And that's probably the worst sign ever. If it can't even get me excited, then, well ...

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on May 04, 2012, 08:56:49 PM
I wonder why they do it. Make MMOs that are, in one way or another, copies of WoW, I mean. WoW launched 8 years ago, it's still going strong. It isn't as attractive as it used to be to me personally, but it's got a heck of a lot of loyal players. They're not going to quit WoW for something that's like WoW, because, for all of WoW's flaws, nobody else can do it better. If, as information so far seems to suggest, this Elder Scrolls Online uses the same combat and control scheme as all those other MMOs, then the only selling point will be the setting.

While I don't agree that the Elder Scrolls doesn't lend itself to an MMO ( I think it would be perfect, actually ), the people who play the Elder Scrolls probably do so for the open-ended world, the aimless adventuring and the story. Take away those, as you more or less have to if the game's enough like WoW, and what's left? Nothing but an empty shell of a setting.

I'll probably end up getting it, because ... Daggerfall was my childhood. But then again, maybe I won't. And that's probably the worst sign ever. If it can't even get me excited, then, well ...
Not to mention they're huge investments that tie up oodles of resources, and take years to get their money back. However, I think you can skip this one. Like I said, I don't think the actual Elder Scrolls guys or Todd Howard (the Daggerfall man himself) are really going to touch this. It was started back in 2007 and the actual Bethesda team was working on Skyrim and Fallout 3 at that point.

I'll have to get my hands on the G.I. article to confirm that though. I don't mind that it has hotbars, that kind of comes with the territory, but why third person. Wouldn't first person be just as viable?

Sabby

IGDaily - The Elder Scrolls Online Details, Screens - 5/4/12

I just love how they're forcing it into the WoW mold xD taking the races and stuffing them into arbitrary groups. Wanna be a Khajiit? Your Altmeri Dominion.

Sabby

Wow. My PC can run Max Payne 3 on ultra highest omega settings, but Sniper Elite V2... not even minimum. I just tried to install it anyway and after manually installing the missing DLL files, it won't even turn on.

So I guess being absolutely devoid of any fun whatsoever beyond the X-ray shots wasn't enough, it has to be technically incompetent as well.

Hemingway

Black Ops 2 is supposed to offer a "new generation of warfare".

Because it's robots and shit, see! Technology! Yeah...!

I somehow don't think this will be the plausible, nihilistic approach that Metal Gear Solid 4 took.

Oniya

*flails* 

Trying and failing to improve my TD results.  I've got most of the important skills maxed out, and the little buggers are still getting through!  Only 19 more levels to go before I can call this game 'finished'.

(And then move on to the sequel!)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I gave Orcs Must Die a try, absolutely loved it until I hit a learning curve in name only. See, with a curve, there's a progression. This was a right angle. Most of the levels were pretty easy, and started to get kind of challenging as you ended up with more enemies, more variants of them, more complex levels... yeah, half the scenarios could be solved by covering the ground in tar and then putting archers on everything elevated above the ground, but the other half did force you to be strategic.

And then suddenly the games says FU, and gives me this. Two doors, both with a long and straight path to your portal, meaning plenty of room, and you can barely afford enough traps to even slow down one channel, let alone manage them long enough for you to handle the second channel without any assistance. Oh yes, both channels open at once, and not only is the Orc count gigantic and most unhindered by whatever you could afford to build, but if you survive a few waves they toss in these fast fuckers whose only job is to sprint right up to you wherever you are in the level and skullfuck you, so whatever you were doing (which would be desperately trying to hold back the wall of green surging a few meters from your Portal) will be cut off.

And they send more then one at once. What the fuck guys?

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 05, 2012, 03:25:43 PM
I gave Orcs Must Die a try, absolutely loved it until I hit a learning curve in name only. See, with a curve, there's a progression. This was a right angle. Most of the levels were pretty easy, and started to get kind of challenging as you ended up with more enemies, more variants of them, more complex levels... yeah, half the scenarios could be solved by covering the ground in tar and then putting archers on everything elevated above the ground, but the other half did force you to be strategic.

And then suddenly the games says FU, and gives me this. Two doors, both with a long and straight path to your portal, meaning plenty of room, and you can barely afford enough traps to even slow down one channel, let alone manage them long enough for you to handle the second channel without any assistance. Oh yes, both channels open at once, and not only is the Orc count gigantic and most unhindered by whatever you could afford to build, but if you survive a few waves they toss in these fast fuckers whose only job is to sprint right up to you wherever you are in the level and skullfuck you, so whatever you were doing (which would be desperately trying to hold back the wall of green surging a few meters from your Portal) will be cut off.

And they send more then one at once. What the fuck guys?

Yes Sabby....feed the dark side.....*shakes rump*

Bayushi

Haven't been able to play much of anything these past few days.

Though I did finish up the second half of LFR Dragon Soul this evening. Got enough Valor points for my Valor cloak, and picked up [Wrath of Unchaining] inside the LFR Dragon Soul. So I've happily upgraded both trinkets now!

Hemingway

I love that LFR doesn't let you do the lower raids - the ones I need to gear up in order to do the higher ones.

Bayushi

Quote from: Hemingway on May 06, 2012, 07:23:55 AMI love that LFR doesn't let you do the lower raids - the ones I need to gear up in order to do the higher ones.
It's a new thing, Heming. They're adding all new raids from this point on to the LFR "circuit". Most, if not all, of their attention is on Mists of Pandaria. Dragon Soul's LFR was present so we would have a taste of LFR before MoP, and so we would all get to see Dragon Soul (even if it was a big letdown).

Also, you have Troll Heroics and then Hour of Twilight Heroics to gear up for LFR.

Hemingway

I'd much rather do BWD than HoT heroics.

Oniya

Quote from: Oniya on May 05, 2012, 03:06:51 PM
*flails* 

Trying and failing to improve my TD results.  I've got most of the important skills maxed out, and the little buggers are still getting through!  Only 19 more levels to go before I can call this game 'finished'.

(And then move on to the sequel!)

Okay - flailing must work.  16 levels to go!
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Bayushi

Quote from: Hemingway on May 06, 2012, 07:28:54 PMI'd much rather do BWD than HoT heroics.
I'd much prefer HoT heroics to doing Bastion of Trash.

Besides, you get better gear from HoT Heroics than you get from Normal or Heroic BWD. So LFR BWD would be, what? 353 epics? Where HoT heroics drop 378 epics?

Hemingway

I want to do it because Blizzard made these raids, then made them obsolete before I actually had time to do them. I don't know, but there used to be a time when raiding was fun, regardless of the level of the drops.

There's another gripe I have with the game. Everyone's obsessing over ilevel these days, regardless of the quality of the actual items. I had to "upgrade" my trinkets to some that were undeniably worse than what I had, because I needed to boost my ilevel.

Sabby

Finally got around to playing The Watchmen. Was put off for a while by bad reviews, but even if it is a little basic, it's a decent beat 'em up. Most third person fighting games that come out now are trying to be Devil May Cry or God of War, which really doesn't appeal to me, since it always boils down to groups of people flinching as giant weapons phase through them. I prefer to see each attack have a more personal reaction, and this game really does go for that ^^ punch someone in the face, the head snaps back, kick out at the guy trying to blind side you, he staggers back holding his gut. It's not exactly an in depth system, but it works.

What I wouldn't give for another game like The Warriors, but with Euphoria physics and DMM. Give me that and I will gladly declare fighting games over.

Edit: Hmmm, could someone explain to me what The Watchmen is supposed to represent? Because if the message is supposed to be anything other then 'Rorschac is a hipocritical totaltarian' then the thing has some of the most ass backwards morals I've ever seen... is it supposed to be some sort of message on meeting violence with violence? I really friggen hope so, because if they're serious about some of this I'm actually kind of appalled :/

I mean, I know Batman is essentially the same thing at a core level, stopping crime by hospitalizing everyone committing it, but at least the writers try at points to have him recognize the double standard and try to circumvent it by attacking the sources of a problem, usually a villain leading the small fry masses of thugs. It's not exactly a huge improvement on the moral, but it's an attempt. Here, all I'm seeing is someone saying "Strip clubs are evil. People who go to strip clubs are evil. Kill all the evil now"

Inkidu

The point behind the Watchmen is that real-life superheros aren't really a good idea.

Anywho, playing the Witcher 2, finished Space Marine.

Gosh I hope Space Marine gets a sequel. I don't think I'll play the tabletop game, seems too expensive and too big picture. I don't know if any of the RTS games are worth picking up, again too big-picture. However, I would kill for another Warhammer 40K action game. The lore is cool and absurdist. I think it's a lore that's generally aware of what it is, and so it works. It never takes itself too seriously, and it never quite makes the jump to total humor. I mean the Boss Ork was laughable with his evil Cockney accent, but then again it's a huge ork strapped to it's absurdly pointy teeth with extremely lethal hardware.

The Witcher 2 rambles on just as much as the first one. There are conversations that go everywhere and nowhere at the same time. Kind of expected that. I like the fact that there are no good guys. I mean the only good guy I ever saw in the first was probably that Knight of the Order of the Flaming Rose. I like how it's all grim-dark without having to rely so much on art direction or art tone to deliver it. Everything looks normal and medieval. The story just kind of seems to barrel forward like the first one not caring whether you get it, understand it, or care.

What a weird world.

EDIT: Still don't like the pause to drink potions. Such a freaking step backward. If anything should be pasue-to-apply it should be blade oils. That's a much longer process in real life, plus from a game point of view they always provide bonuses with no drawback whereas potions usually carry a negative effect and your consumption of them is limited by the toxicity meter. Backward guys, it's a relatively small gripe I guess, but when potions are so damned important, you don't need to hamstring them like that.

I don't like the design philosophy anyway. It's one based on knowing what comes ahead, and sometimes the game is pretty obvious and that's fine, but more than half it's an "Crap! Reload!" kind of thing. Bad design, immersion breaking.  >:(

EDIT, EDIT: I. Hate. Golems! Golems are so freaking cheap in the Witcher 2. AOE attacks and if you get bull-rushed you might as well reload. Seriously, the golems are tough, they hit hard, unblockable, and due to the AOE ground slam you can't roll out their way. Sheesh.