Considerations for a Psychonauts-esque game...

Started by Ajoxer, March 13, 2006, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

I've recently played and finished the game, and frankly, I find the whole thing utterly enchanting. My main consideration for what the setting would be is perhaps the 18+ version of Whispering Rock, possibly a small college out in the mountains, preparing for final Psychonauts duties... With the occasional telepathic menace and the omnipresent psychokinetic rats that come with all colleges.

My next consideration is what system? Possibly Mage: The Awakening, with a few work-arounds. BESM and GURPS also hold some possiblities. Of course, the system that would work best, if I make sure to tone down powers a tad, is Mutants and Masterminds. Any of these systems would be great fun...

I'm not sure if I could run these games myself, or perhaps play in another person's game, like so- I'd be very interested, though, in  either. Here are some quotes for those who haven't played- Discuss some of this with me if you have. The game is the sort to ride between the ludicrously cheery and cartoony, and the dark things that can lurk in people's minds...

" Boy, this reminds me of back when I was in High School... Which is odd, since I'm fairly sure I'm ten." Razputin, inside Mister Teglee's mind.

From an ancient tree slice in the Psychic Summer Camp, showing what happened over the 500 years it lived...

" Man, this thing was old when they chopped it down. Let's see...
500 years ago: Enormous, psitanium-bearing meteorite strikes the Earth, leaving a massive creater.
200 years ago: Native inhabitants begin making arrowheads out of the psitanium, which they called by the name ' Whispering Rock.' This is a rough English translation.
100 years ago: Prospectors and settlers take over the area, naming their boom town ' Shaky Claim'
99 years ago: First case of 'paranormal hysteria' diagnosed in Shaky Claim.
75 years ago: Houston Thorney builds his Home for the Demented to deal with the insanity epidemic.
60 years ago: More residents in asylum than in town. Houston Thorny commits suicide by jumping from tower.
55 years ago: Asylum closes. Last valley residents are paid to leave the valley, and the federal government floods it to prevent further inhabitation. Lake Oblongota is formed.
5 years ago: Whispering Rock Psychic Summer Camp founded to nurture and train future Psychonauts.
Last Summer: I got to first base with Elka Doom, signed Nils Lutefisk."

Fossil.
Bringing day old chicken pot pie from the cafeteria doesn't count! I've been fooled twice already, but from now on, you kids better have the real McCoy!
Turkey Sandwhich
Possibly the most famous of all poultry-based sandwiches, second only to it's more glamorous sister, the Chicken Salad Sandwich. The Turkey Sandwich holds a special place in the hearts of food lovers everywhere who crave something that's like Chicken, but not.
Fertility Idol.
Wasps love fertility idols. Everybody knows it. No one knows why. But it must work because look at how many of them there are!
Gold Watch, the final scavenger hunt item you're likely to find...
Time. The enemy of us all. Hold a watch to your ear and listen. Tick tock, tick tock... Those are the hoof beats of the Reaper's pale horse. " Half past eight, he's at your gate. Quarter to four, a knock on the door." Unwinding is the mortal coil that drives the gears to tick and toil, until at last, it rests, unwound, and we lay silent in the ground.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Moondazed

I LOVE that game!  It's one of the few I played all the way through, I usually leave that for my teenager and husband.  Trouble is, I have no experience with rule systems, having only played freeform.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Ajoxer

Gut un himmel! Someone else interested! Huzzah! ^_^ Well, depends... I usually feel more comfortable with rules systems for games where combat is more likely to need consequences. >_> Just a man for order that way...
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Moondazed

I'm happy to try a game with rules, just wanted to give you fair warning that I'm inexperienced, in case you don't fancy dealing with a newbie.
~*~ Sexual Orientation: bi ~*~ BDSM Orientation: switch ~*~ Ons and Offs ~*~ Active Stories ~*~

Elvi

Ajoxer, I have moved this here, (players wanted), as I feel you are likely to get more interest here than in 'on topic'.
If you prefer I move it back, or would rather it was in another place, let me know and I'll move it again.
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Ajoxer

Well, depends if I think I can put together a decent game. I'm so damn mercurial... But, what the hell, the only way you can change is by working at it, and spending a few Exp points, and that Math skill can wait for a bit. ^_^ Gratzi for the proactive behavior, though, Elvi. Well, as I mentioned, BESM, GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, or Mage: The Ascension all work well... Disregard my mention of The Awakening, I avoid nWoD. >_> Crazy like dat.

And if anyone wants for rulebooks, and doesn't mind bein a crook, I can send them via AIM- IM me at HomerinNYC for them.

Moondazed

My husband uses the GURPS system (amongst others, such as Savage Worlds), so I'm sure I could get some coaching from him if you used that.

Ajoxer

Well, just to letcha know, I only play 3e.

I'm perfectly happy in my nice, comfy rut.

Moondazed

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know what 3e means.  If anyone is going to flog me for not knowing, let me thank you ahead of time *wicked grin*

Ajoxer

Four editions of GURPS so far, 4e came out just last year, so depends how often your husband buys them. >_>

Moondazed

Oh!  I'm a bad wife, not knowing that!  I'll go home tonight and confess immediately :)

Ajoxer

Moondazed

Ajoxer

Meant mainly about no other people apparently being interested in it. Aaaah, well...

Moondazed

Ajoxer

MadPanda

Actually, this sounds...very interesting.  Not too sure about GURPS, but I think I have a copy of 3e about, someplace.

"Hey, new kid!  You seen large hairless bear lurking in woods?  In Russia, bears not so large.  Also more hair.  Less lurking.  Always eager to wrestle..."

Got it for XMas but haven't finished it yet (not enough time to do everything, alas). 

"Cannot hide forever, bear..."

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

LadyFox

Unfortunately, I have no idea what you're talking about... but it's interesting enough to make me inquire more...I've never played GURPS, though I've shipped tons of it, nor any of the others you've mentioned, except Masquerade.  I prefer the previous edition of WoD to the current run... what fun is it without the Childer of Malkav?  Honestly...
She is my broken doll
She lost all her pieces in a big fall
She can't discover
That I will never let her recover

Ajoxer

Well, Psychonauts was a rather unusual Psychonauts game, with Tim Burton-esque grapphics. Rather dark when it wants to be, might be an interesting experience- I'd recommend trying to get a copy, it's good. Anyway, GURPS or M&M can work well, and I can send a copy of the M&M core rulebook to any who need it via AIM.

Moondazed

There's a thorough description at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychonauts , although it has spoilers for the game in it.

MadPanda

Quote from: Ajoxer on April 02, 2006, 07:39:45 AM
Well, Psychonauts was a rather unusual Psychonauts game, with Tim Burton-esque grapphics. Rather dark when it wants to be, might be an interesting experience- I'd recommend trying to get a copy, it's good. Anyway, GURPS or M&M can work well, and I can send a copy of the M&M core rulebook to any who need it via AIM.

If I had AIM, that would be a most worthy option.  Alas, I don't.  My copy of GURPS, however, does appear to be 3e Rev.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook