Last Jedi! **SPOILERS**

Started by TwilightJester, December 15, 2017, 08:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shekinah

Hope that the Solo movie is as good as Rogue One, helps ease the wait. After all it has been two years since The Force Awakens came out and that also seemed a long time but yeah Rogue one certainly helped with the wait for me ^_^

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

Aiden

One year waits, two really, between movies is cool with me. We still have marvel movies in between all that.

Shekinah

indeed, tons of other great movies to come. Marvel and others.
Just star wars is still love

Why don’t we drink to me and my reflection in your lovely eyes?

My O/O's
Have you taken care of yourself today?

AmberStarfire

That's true, there are a lot of other great movies coming out.

Rogue One turned out pretty well IMO, so hopefully the Han Solo one will too. It could go either way, but I think they'll do a good job with it.

SithLordOfSnark

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 16, 2017, 04:06:24 PM
2019, a Han movie will be out in 2018.  ;D

I thought The Last Jedi was the last Star Wars movie other then the Han Solo movie..
Always looking for roleplays, just keep in mind that I' m not a fast poster.

On's & Off's | Request Thread | A & A

Buffy the Vampire Slayer CYOA |
Eternal Nights (VtM) Interest Check  | Buffy: After the End Interest Check

wander

I heard as dated last week that both the Boba Fett and Obi-Wan movies are still in development. The Obi-Wan movie has a working title and is heavily hinted to show the character on Tattoine between eps 3 and 4.

And yep, after this trilogy, we're getting Rian Johnson heading Eps 10-12 for a new trilogy with, I expect, all new characters, given the ending of The Last Jedi and also how Daisy Ridley has said herself she's done with Star Wars after doing Episode 9. Clearly she's getting offers for other projects and wants to do other things.

TwilightJester

They are really going all out with this star wars shit XD don't get me wrong im excited. i am a huge Marvel fan as well >_> kinda more excited for the newest avenger movie then anything else right now, and last Jedi since i don't know when ill be able to see that one still.
READ o/o
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=272188.msg13391326#msg13391326

HannibalBarca

Most of the Han Solo movie was already shot, but the Disney brass didn't like the direction it was being taken by the tandem directors (in a comedy direction), so they fired them, and hired Ron Howard to recut, reshoot, whatever it took.

I don't know, I think Luke went out like a boss, saving the galaxy and then becoming one with the Force on his own terms, just like Obi-Wan did.  Snoke's death, though, surprised me--he got punked by Kylo...I expected more from him.  Then again, we've seen villains come back, so you never know.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

wander

It does make me think that Rian Johnson took some of Abrams pre-planned stuff and went his own way with it. The way certain plot threads were handled seems very much... 'Rocks fall, clean slate' sort of thing. The most obvious being Snoke and his backstory (too much stuff hinted in other media, even the visual dictionary for The Last Jedi hinted at Snoke being possibly the First of the Jedi Order), though also Rey's parentage.

Daisy mentioned after TFA got released she felt Rey's parentage was super obvious and was surprised when her friends had no idea who they might be. To me, that hints (given the original script) at a Skywalker parentage given certain elements, though this seems to have been shunted aside. However one theory I really disliked that I'm glad they didn't go with was her being essentially a rebirth of Anakin, that she was The Chosen One born from the Force as someone destined to bring balance to it when it veers away from it. Whilst it worked somewhat for Anakin as a one-off deal (and in a deleted element from Revenge of the Sith, Palpatine flat out tells Anakin he was born due to Plagueis' ability to create life), let's be honest and admit there are elements to Rey at least in TFA of Mary-Sueism and her being a golden child space jesus wouldn't have helped that.

That said, Abrams is back for Episode 9 and it was stated Snoke manipulated Kylo and Rey's connection to the Force. He can still come by and retcon back whatever plot arcs and elements he wanted to cover and end for the final film of Rey's story to close the book on the chapter as he planned to.

Arkaniel

I loved the movie.

I detected a bit of Poe x Rey vibe when they met. I think that could be great. I don’t think crazy REN should be redeemed... because, hey, even if he is, he’s still a patricidal war criminal who should go to jail for life, so I don’t know how that would even realistically work anymore, haha. Besides him being utterly crazy.

I thought they purposefully made it appear Luke could be Rey’s Father in TFA, but I’m glad for the fact they didn’t. Luke didn’t/doesn’t deserve to become the father who left his daughter on a trash world. Still, her parentage is in question. I’m actually thinking the new Force avatar born like Anakin will be a good possibility if they decide Kylo was lying about her parents.

Hux is fun. And Finn became even more likeable than he already was, while Poe was awesome.

I had expected to go a little bit different, though with nearly the same end result, so I’m still happy. I thought: hey, Luke is here! Oh, wow! Jedi! Entire resistance fleet from all over the galaxy jumps in fro hyperspace. They didn’t go that angle, sadly.

HannibalBarca

I'm disappointed I didn't realize Luke was just projecting an illusion of himself.  After all, they clearly showed he was using Anakin's lightsaber--after we all saw it get ripped in two by Rey and Kylo.  But still, even knowing that, seeing Luke still standing there after that barrage of firepower was awesome...and then Kylo's look of utter fear after was even better.  Then, to top it all, even as the villain, he swallowed his fear and faced him one-on-one.  Sweet!
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

wander

If you watch it again, he doesn't leave red marks on the salt layer of Crait either.  ;)

Andronica

Just got back early this morning from a very late showing, and I loved it!

My only criticism is that I wish there was more time spent on Rey-Ben-Luke than on drawing out Holdo's last stand and Rose/Finn's plan. There wasn't any chemistry there.

Anyone else notice Rey started calling him Ben after Luke told her the truth of what happened that night? I loved their communication through the Force and their interactions always carry a nice weight to them. Plus they had awesome synergy fighting together in Snoke's throne room.

I also liked the dark/light side mosaic in the cave of both sides coming together, and how the water was rippling toward the center while Luke was projecting himself on Crait. I'd love to see Ben redeemed by Rey in the next movie or so, find a happy medium between light and dark, and the two go off to train a new generation of younglings on the island. c:

(I have a huge soft spot for redemption stories and cliche sad, angry villains - Ben needs a good slap followed by a hug from Rey)

mia h

Quote from: wander on December 16, 2017, 05:19:43 PM
The Obi-Wan movie has a working title and is heavily hinted to show the character on Tattoine between eps 3 and 4.
I wouldn't be 100% certain about that, Star Wars: Rebels had Obi-Wan turn up on more than one occasion even having him and Darth Maul face off on Tattoine for the final time. As that's all supposed to be cannon it doesn't leave them much to do with Obi-Wan.

Quote from: HannibalBarca on December 17, 2017, 10:42:23 AM
I'm disappointed I didn't realize Luke was just projecting an illusion of himself.
It was one of those things I half noticed, as Luke had a haircut and dyed his beard between the island and "not Hoth"

Anyway just came back from seeing it and I loved it. As I was leaving I couldn't help but smile as I overheard a couple of guys saying "I'm not really sure what happened there." There was a lot going on and it never really slowed down, even the slow moments were intense.

I admit it hardly scores major observational skill points but I did love Yoda yanking Luke's chain by blowing up the tree as both he and I knew Rey had already stolen the books. Not having a rebel fleet come in and save the day was a nice touch, people are scared and not willing to risk limited assets in a futile gesture leaving the new leaders of the Resistance a lot of work to do between the movies.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

TwilightJester

I still have yet to see it, but i talked to my coworker about the scene where Luke died??? but it sounded kind of vague did he really die??
I could be just interpreting what he said completely wrong just curious what other people thought who watched it. Going to see it Tuesday officially so im excited.
READ o/o

HannibalBarca

He went out on his own terms, alone, and joined the Force.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

wander

Disappeared like Obi-Wan and Yoda both did. My thoughts given rumours he is signed for Ep.9 is he'll turn up as a Force Ghost like they could do.

Arkaniel

Quote from: wander on December 18, 2017, 10:46:08 AM
Disappeared like Obi-Wan and Yoda both did. My thoughts given rumours he is signed for Ep.9 is he'll turn up as a Force Ghost like they could do.

Considering how powerful he is supposed to be and hat Yoda could do as a force ghost, he could still be Rey’s trainer. That was some mean powerful force projection ;)

Deamonbane

Disappointments?

Rey's Parentage: I had some theories on that, but in the end, it seems like such a large part of Rey's character and they just... tossed it aside. Even if what Kylo said is true, it felt glossed over, like a director didn't want to deal with that. I get it, the film is packed to bursting as is, but it could have been addressed a bit better.

Snoke's Passing: The dude is seriously powerful. He's old, he's got scars, he knows his way around the manipulation game. Not only was his death anticlimactic and took me out of the scene entirely (Honestly, a Rey-Kylo team-up against him would have fulfilled the point of the scene a bit better than the duel with the guards) but again, it seems like something that won't be resolved. Who the fuck is/was Snoke? How did he come to be the Supreme Leader, one that is respected and feared on par with Darth Sidious? If he was meant to be duped and wiped away like that, why did they bring him in in the first place? So much unresolved potential that it made me a bit angry.

High Points

Luke's Passing: On his own terms, feeling and acting like a Jedi Master (that shoulder wipe, though). Watching him say goodbye to Leia was particularly touching for me. Dunno if it was filmed before or after Carrie's passing, but it did feel like Mark saying goodbye to her.

Rey: Still something of a Mary Sue, but we're seeing some darkness in her. Character progression.

BB-8, Finn, Poe and Rose: The true heroes of the film. Humans and robots, making mistakes, running around, trying to make a difference without any big 'the Force' to help them out. Lots of character progression. Setbacks, overcoming the obstacles, and surviving against impossible odds. I could do with more of the films centered around them and less about Light vs. Dark side.

Overall, a fun sci-fi flick. A lot of people are saying that it's a remake of the Empire Strikes Back, but it certainly lacks the emotional weight, for me at least. It managed to be creative, but the film and plot got bogged down with the whole.... light-dark thing. Wish they could just settle on a Grey side, and get going already.

It's a flawed film, and it could have been a lot better. It also could have been a lot worse. Still holding out hope for Obi-Wan to make an appearance in the next installation. I miss Ewan's sass.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Deamonbane on December 18, 2017, 01:49:54 PM
Rey's Parentage: I had some theories on that, but in the end, it seems like such a large part of Rey's character and they just... tossed it aside. Even if what Kylo said is true, it felt glossed over, like a director didn't want to deal with that. I get it, the film is packed to bursting as is, but it could have been addressed a bit better.

If Kylo is telling the truth, then I kind of like that. It's neat to have the Force just manifest in this random person instead of being tied to who your parents were (like how in the EU they made big deal about the Skywalker bloodline).
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

CaptainNexus616

I am all for Rey just being a nobody. This franchise has always been about how the Skywalkers were super important. Anakin, Luke, and Ben which by all accounts was fine. However the idea that you DON'T have to have their heritage to make a difference in the galaxy is a great angle.

And it could work wonders for Rey's character. She wants to know who her parents are. To me, she was hoping they were something important on some level thus making her own existence relevant. To find out they were nothing special hits hard.

It makes you ask the more difficult question.

"If they were worth nothing, then what am I worth?"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

HannibalBarca

Most adventure/quest stories are best when the protagonist is an everyman (or woman): Harry Potter, Wizard of Oz, Luke Skywalker.  Throw in the orphan archetype, and you have no familial obligations to hold them down from heading off into the big blue and making something of themselves.

Sure, Rey is overpowered, but again, what do you call Harry being able to fly a broom from day one like a boss?  Or Luke, with a handful of hours trained by Obi-Wan, sending two proton torpedoes at a 90 degree angle into a six foot hole?  Or a completely untrained Anakin winning a pod race and blowing up a droid command ship?  Shit, Indiana Jones is one giant Marty Stu, not to mention Captain Kirk.  it works for the genre.  Sometimes it works in reverse: see Big Trouble In Little China and Jack Burton.

Someday, I want to see a droid in Star Wars be force sensitive or a force user.  I read two science fiction novels by Isaac Asimov (Robots of Dawn and Robots and Empire) where one robot character, by random chance during his construction, was given mental powers.  Asimov really hit the concept hard (it was one of his favorites) about artificial intelligence, once self-aware, being granted human rights.  I can imagine a future Star Wars movie revealing that R2-D2 is a force user, and has been helping the good guys win here and there, silently, in his own humble way.
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

wander

On Rey and the elephant in the room on Mary Sueisms... I was thinking on that line of thought earlier and what made people take so much exception to her over other escapist characters built to be badass. And I came up with the conclusion that she had no character flaws/complications.

I'm not a HP fan so I can't talk much about him, though Luke was pretty whiney, somewhat naive, was pretty much stuck where he was and had to do what his Uncle told him til he was killed and sure, he did a one in a million shot, though that was at the end of the film when before he got jumped by sand-people and was not gifted with the Force much at all, slowly being directed by Obi-Wan. Honestly, Han was more the Mary Sue though even he had flaws (money hungry, clearly a wanted con, sketchy reputation, abrasive, so on and so on).

Indy: Phobia of Snakes off the top of my head, probably more. Kirk: Womanizer, Impulsive, probably more. Just something that makes the character more believable they're a person rather than a force.

Point being, I couldn't really think of a character flaw/complication for Rey. Something that defined her that happened to impede her perfection in any real way.

HannibalBarca

Well, I can agree with there being little to no character flaws with Rey.  Unless you count being a cypher that was unloved and abandoned by her family as a flaw.  The obvious loneliness she lived with on Jakku, that was pointed out by Kylo when he read her mind, made me sympathetic to her...but she has very little else to point out as flaws, true.  Not to toot my own horn, but I absolutely crave writing deeply flawed characters.  J.J. should have contacted me as far as character development for his TFA script :P
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

TwilightJester

Quote from: HannibalBarca on December 18, 2017, 10:40:19 PM
Well, I can agree with there being little to no character flaws with Rey.  Unless you count being a cypher that was unloved and abandoned by her family as a flaw.  The obvious loneliness she lived with on Jakku, that was pointed out by Kylo when he read her mind, made me sympathetic to her...but she has very little else to point out as flaws, true.  Not to toot my own horn, but I absolutely crave writing deeply flawed characters.  J.J. should have contacted me as far as character development for his TFA script :P

I feel ya. Odd enough i still love Rey. Shes a lovable Mary sue unlike most. Characters like Bella swan i cant stand. 
READ o/o