Do you want to be a dragon?

Started by Kizara, November 17, 2010, 07:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kizara

So, like so many others, I desire to fill some time and do some roleplaying while I await the chance to join this site properly.

To that end, I threw around a few ideas and came up with something I'm pretty happy with.

I'm hoping its interesting and unique enough that someone will want to do it with me, otherwise I suppose I'll think of something else.

PREMISE:
You are a member of the ancient race of dragonkind. For eons, your race has lived amoungst the stars, between the trees, and under the waves, but things are changing.
From beyond the stars you knew, a terrible force has come, seeking to do nothing but consume all creation before it.

(we can start the RP here, and roleplay you helping combat the great menace. It will be nearly entirely combat-oriented, and will be an interesting vehicle for some cool descriptions)

Your people drove back the invaders, but at great cost. Their numbers have been reduced to a few, and the great clans are splintered. Before, lesser creatures would not dare trifle with the Draoconic Nation, but now lone dragons find themselves hunted and harried, and even small groups are threatened by coordinated efforts. You are part of a small pod that has come to a distant world, one lush and green and full of life, seeking refuge from the conflict amoungst the stars. The people here have a great combined power, and it is thought that the best way to ensure a peaceful cooexistance in your new refuge would be to send an ambassador to secure a lasting friendship.

(we can start the campaign here, with you playing a dragon that takes humanoid form, goes to one of their cities, explores the culture there, and tries to create ties with your kin)

Your people ally with the humans of the Hollowed Mountains, and in time learn to fight and live together in peace in the spacious lands thereabouts. You are a young dragon, and as such are elidgable to bind with a Dragon Rider. While such is expected of you, the rider must first prove their worth.

(This is the third starting point I have in mind, roleplaying the process of getting building the relationship with the rider, once chosen, and then perhaps a few combat scenes).

This is meant as a short campaign, light on mechanics and as a chance to do some writing and tell a short but interesting story. I am taking it pretty seriously though, so I'd hope those interested would do also.
This is sort of designed as a solo RP, but I probably could work it with a small number of people if interest is high.

My concept of dragonkind:
-western, or "DnD" dragons. I can provide pictures if need be.
-colors available depend on starting point, but I'd like 'good' colors for either of the second two, custom colors are probably fine
-while your mindset will obviously be different from your unique perspective (most of the fun here), you are a being of strong personality, wisdom and a rich history and culture. Very far from the idea of a mindless animal of destruction and violence.

So, any interest?
Darkness is only enjoyable when derived from light.

lorcan

Hmm I would be interested in this, Especially if your Okay with Amethyst Dragons.

Kizara

I'd have to look them up to remember what they do again, but that's probably fine.

lorcan

Well their Nuetral Aligned Dragons and have Psionic abilities just as a quick overview.

Kizara

Which scenario would you be interested in?

Oh, and appologies about being late in responding, my normal GURPS group needed a lot of hand holding the last few days and I was much busier then normal, but the wrost of such is over now.

Despite being Approved now, I still like this idea and would be willing to do it if you (or anyone else) is still interested.

Please post your character idea (beyond just color), and the scenario would you be interested in. Don't worry if the character fits perfectly or not, as I'll tweak it/give you suggestions if need be. Generally use common sense and you should be fine.

I don't need any stats (and I have my MMs if I need them ;) ), but things like general concept, age, size, personality, maybe a bit of backstory, would be excellent.

CaringGuy

I would be very much interested in the second scenario.  The idea of a wise and sagely entity coming down and studying an alien culture is fascinating to me, and I'd love to take up that particular challenge.  It isn't a role I do often, so it'd help to polish up my skills a bit.

As far as characters are concerned, I've slapped together this quick character profile.

Name: Talo

Dragon Appearance:  Blood red scales gracefully shield his mammoth bulking form.  Though his wings are strong, his weight and size make him a very slow flier.  His eyes are a much lighter shade of red, and are much less intimidating than many of his kind.  His expression is softer, as he's nearing the end of his life.  His talons have become weathered and chip, much like his teeth.  He's nearing the end of his lifespan, and his appearance reflects this.

Human appearance:  Almost the polar opposite of his muscular dragon form, Talo's human form is far thinner.  While still fairly built, it has very little in common with the dragon form, save for an unruly head of red hair.  His eyes are ember green, perfectly complimenting his dark green jacket.  Most importantly, his human form appears to be much younger than his dragon counterpoint.  He looks as if he's in his mid-thirties, as opposed to a more accurate age which would go well beyond the normal human lifespan.

General Details:  He was chosen for the peace mission mainly because he was the softest of the group.  Getting along in years and with centuries more experience than many others within his seed, he was ideal for a peace mission.  Softer spoken than many of them, and with a better understanding of the psychological workings of other species.
  If everything went according to plan, harmony would be achieved.  If a misfire were to happen, it could mean the end of them all.  Talo takes the responsibility in stride, even as his vision blurs and he waits for death to take him in its cold embrace.

((if you need more than this, just let me know... I sort of have my own method of making character profiles most of the time))

lorcan

Im still interested  I will get something up withing the next day or so.

Kizara

Quote from: CaringGuy on November 21, 2010, 07:30:45 AM
I would be very much interested in the second scenario.  The idea of a wise and sagely entity coming down and studying an alien culture is fascinating to me, and I'd love to take up that particular challenge.  It isn't a role I do often, so it'd help to polish up my skills a bit.

As far as characters are concerned, I've slapped together this quick character profile.

Name: Talo

Dragon Appearance:  Blood red scales gracefully shield his mammoth bulking form.  Though his wings are strong, his weight and size make him a very slow flier.  His eyes are a much lighter shade of red, and are much less intimidating than many of his kind.  His expression is softer, as he's nearing the end of his life.  His talons have become weathered and chip, much like his teeth.  He's nearing the end of his lifespan, and his appearance reflects this.

Human appearance:  Almost the polar opposite of his muscular dragon form, Talo's human form is far thinner.  While still fairly built, it has very little in common with the dragon form, save for an unruly head of red hair.  His eyes are ember green, perfectly complimenting his dark green jacket.  Most importantly, his human form appears to be much younger than his dragon counterpoint.  He looks as if he's in his mid-thirties, as opposed to a more accurate age which would go well beyond the normal human lifespan.

General Details:  He was chosen for the peace mission mainly because he was the softest of the group.  Getting along in years and with centuries more experience than many others within his seed, he was ideal for a peace mission.  Softer spoken than many of them, and with a better understanding of the psychological workings of other species.
  If everything went according to plan, harmony would be achieved.  If a misfire were to happen, it could mean the end of them all.  Talo takes the responsibility in stride, even as his vision blurs and he waits for death to take him in its cold embrace.

((if you need more than this, just let me know... I sort of have my own method of making character profiles most of the time))

Alright.

Red dragons are generally considered evil, aggresive and powerfully arrogant. Is this your view as well? Does your character simply break this sterotype?

If your character is really nearing the end of his life, he is thousands of years old, and even if his reactions are dulled he has a massive amount of magical power. This may not come up, but is worth noting.

The third scenario only assumes one possible path, there are a number of civilizations available, and it is up to Talo to decide where to begin.

1) The Tribes of the Reagarl plains are cat people that have grown in numbers and sophistication from generations of hunting the wild steppes. They now also inhabit the neighboring desert and grasslands, and the once nomadic people have begun building lasting settlements. They are renowned for their skill in taming wild beasts, their bravery and their deadication to the code of honor that governs their people.

2) The High Men of the Northen Mountains are unquestionably one of the 'power players' amoungst the civilzations of the continent. Although not large in territory, their kingdom is built upon the rich ore of the mountain and the very lush valleys between them. The resources available to them, and the strong work ethic that has allowed them to tame such harsh lands, has made their empire rich and prosperous. They have also tamed the griffins that inhabit the skies of their lands, and using them and their vast wealth have a military force to be reckoned with.

3) The Elves of the Grey Forests are an ancient, and spiritual people. They have few cities, but many temples built upon locuses of magic or spiritual power. Some of them, mainly the young, roam the woods and practice the carefree ways of old, but many seek enlightenment in temple or library. They are not concerned with wealth, or territory, but with the rewards of the mystic arts, and have magic that gives even your kin great pause.

4) The Men of the Fire Pits of Chogath inhabit a barren land that's only distinguished feature is a field of gaping holes in the ground that billow with infernal flames. Years ago cultists came here to worship and serve the magical energies that whirled about the place, and have propagated with the help of said energies. Now they are many, and oh how twisted they are! Performing perverse tortures on themselves to serve their dark lords, they seek to 'ascend' their motarl coils. Still others of them seek this ascension in bloodlust, and the demonic energies have mutated them with incredible strength and perserverance.

5) The Good Men of the Ember Fields are a society of peaceful farmers and traders, that inhabit a series of islands and costal cities to the east. They are renowned for their craftmanship, and open and friendly nature towards outsiders. They manage to have little need of a military, thanks to their long-standing friendship and alliance with the merfolk of the waves, that trade with them for trinkets and food in return for protecting their ships.

6) The White Elves of the Frozen Fields are a subrace of elf that has made their home, and kingdom, in the northern lands. Little is known of their mysterious ways, but their hauntingly beautiful crystal cities, their ability to entrance and beguile all who enter their lands, and their crystal airships are legendary.

Choose where you'd like to go, and I'll make an opening post in a new thread in the NA-RP forum.

CaringGuy

I was kind of thinking it along the lines of breaking stereotype, honestly.  And I'll keep all of that mind while continuing with the RP.

I'd like to start with The White Elves of the Frozen Fields first.  I've got a thing for elves, and the city as you described it sounds very beautiful. 

Look forward to continuing this adventure with you!  Banzai~

Kizara

Quote from: CaringGuy on November 22, 2010, 12:41:34 AM
I was kind of thinking it along the lines of breaking stereotype, honestly.  And I'll keep all of that mind while continuing with the RP.

I'd like to start with The White Elves of the Frozen Fields first.  I've got a thing for elves, and the city as you described it sounds very beautiful. 

Look forward to continuing this adventure with you!  Banzai~

Breaking stereotype is fine.

Nice choice, was one of the civilizations I was more interested in developing. I find it amusing that you picked such a cold environment to visit as a red dragon. :)

I don't have time tonight, but I will see about putting up the opening post for the RP tomarrow. How are you getting there? Just flying directly to one of their cities, flying nearby and arranging transport in human form? Note that you picked one of the most closed societies in the list, and it will be hard to get in. I look forward to what you come up with.

Note that Talo has devised a way to minimize his consumption needs through magical means, allowing him to only eat sparsely instead of the massive amount that would otherwise be needed to support his gigantic mass.

CaringGuy

I think flying somewhere nearby and arranging transport would be the most exciting of the routes.  To just fly directly in would be the easiest, but I think a being like Talo would want to keep a low profile at the beginning.  He isn't the type to cause a big rumpus in the middle of a town. 

I'll have thought out quite a few of the 'ins and outs' of the scenario by the time you've posted the RP.  Looking forward to it!