News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on July 09, 2016, 04:15:21 AM
  I just checked, there were two, the officer involved and the partner, but the partner still didn't offer medical aid to the dying man.

What's the procedure here anyway? I assume they are obligated to immediately call for an ambulance and apply first aid, but what does the actual textbook say about this?

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on July 09, 2016, 04:23:18 AM
  The police officer is distressed because he just shot someone 4 times at point blank range. Why do you think they would be distressed?

I think he means to say that we might be able to see without any doubt why. It's more than likely that's why he's distressed, but until we see, we don't know.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

TaintedAndDelish

QuoteThe police officer is distressed because he just shot someone 4 times at point blank range. Why do you think they would be distressed?
That's an assumption. It's reasonable and in my opinion, very likely, but still an assumption.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on July 09, 2016, 04:31:40 AM
That's an assumption. It's reasonable and in my opinion, very likely, but still an assumption.

Yes, that's how we work as a society for the most part. We very rarely "know" something, and so we have to make reasonable assumptions all the time, like how we can send someone to jail for a crime despite not seeing the crime take place and making a reasonable assumption based on that evidence that it was still them. Ditto on science, a major component of our society. Nothing is ever proven right, there is merely a failure to disprove it.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: LisztesFerenc on July 09, 2016, 04:39:39 AM
Yes, that's how we work as a society for the most part. We very rarely "know" something, and so we have to make reasonable assumptions all the time, like how we can send someone to jail for a crime despite not seeing the crime take place and making a reasonable assumption based on that evidence that it was still them. Ditto on science, a major component of our society. Nothing is ever proven right, there is merely a failure to disprove it.

Well yes, but again, I think Tainted means there might be more evidence to find first, so that maybe we don't know all we can yet. You are right though, there are mane things we cannot know for 100% certain.

Cassandra LeMay

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 09, 2016, 04:24:20 AM
What's the procedure here anyway? I assume they are obligated to immediately call for an ambulance and apply first aid, but what does the actual textbook say about this?
In Minnesota (that's where this happened, if I am not mistaken?) there is a "Good Samaritan Law" on the books:

Quote604A.01 GOOD SAMARITAN LAW.
Subdivision 1.Duty to assist.

A person at the scene of an emergency who knows that another person is exposed to or has suffered grave physical harm shall, to the extent that the person can do so without danger or peril to self or others, give reasonable assistance to the exposed person. Reasonable assistance may include obtaining or attempting to obtain aid from law enforcement or medical personnel. A person who violates this subdivision is guilty of a petty misdemeanor.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Cassandra LeMay on July 09, 2016, 06:00:01 AM
In Minnesota (that's where this happened, if I am not mistaken?) there is a "Good Samaritan Law" on the books:

I have no idea if we have a version of that law over here. I'm going to assume so, but that's something I might look up when I have the time.

AmberStarfire

Renegade Vile

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 09, 2016, 06:18:31 AM
Oooh, that might be interesting for you, right?

I'm not in the US and haven't had enough sales to qualify, but it may be relevant for some other people. It suggests that it may be the direction things are heading with books in the larger scheme of things, which is interesting.

Renegade Vile

Quote from: AmberStarfire on July 09, 2016, 06:26:38 AM
I'm not in the US and haven't had enough sales to qualify, but it may be relevant for some other people. It suggests that it may be the direction things are heading with books in the larger scheme of things, which is interesting.

Oh right, I forgot that; still, maybe other companies will get the same idea so you could benefit from something like this once you reach that sales benchmark.

AmberStarfire

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 09, 2016, 06:44:11 AM
Oh right, I forgot that; still, maybe other companies will get the same idea so you could benefit from something like this once you reach that sales benchmark.

Maybe. It would be really good to see.

Iniquitous

Quote from: Renegade Vile on July 09, 2016, 03:01:48 AM
That's true, but that flight reflex that you speak of, in all of its variations, is something extremely difficult to resist. It takes a lot of willpower in that moment to immediately act. And even then, he was more frozen in place and less trying to cover his ass (though excuses were flowing from him, definitely). Like I said, he should be tried for manslaughter and the fact that he did not act as an officer should even after the incident should be held against him as well, but to me, this is still an accident, with all the panic and desperation that follows one of this magnitude. I know accident is a word that almost seems to imply: meh, it was just an accident; but that is most certainly not what it means in this context. If that made any sense?

I would like to point something out here.  My father and brother are both former police officers, my uncle and two of my cousins deputy sheriffs.  When a cop is in a situation such as a traffic stop, they only have a handful of seconds to make a decision on whether to use deadly force.  It is not a decision they make lightly.  This is not to say that there are never cops who are not corrupt and deliberately target those they should not and please, no one think I am trying to excuse all cops' behavior. I am not.

I am trying to say that a cop only has those few seconds to decide whether to fire their weapon or not.  If the person they have stopped does not respond to their command to stop what they are doing, the cop has just those few seconds to choose whether to fire their weapon or risk the other person attacking them.

In this case of Mr. Castile - my understanding is that the cop told Mr. Castile to stop reaching a couple of times and that Mr. Castile kept reaching for his wallet.  Seeing as this was not in the video and was something that was reported, I can only speculate from that report that Mr. Castile was most likely anxious to do what was right and show that he was licensed to have a concealed weapon (it is required that if you are licensed to carry a weapon - concealed or otherwise - that you tell any officer of the law that detains you immediately as well as where the weapon is) so that he would not be shot. The police officer, upon hearing that Mr. Castile had a weapon, could have likely panicked at the sight of him reaching and issued the order to keep his hands where they could be seen - an order that Mr. Castile failed to obey ... and then the disaster happened.

I think it was an accident brought about by two people anxious to avoid being shot.  I could be very wrong - but that scenario makes sense once you stop to consider it.  As to why the video shows the cop distressed?  Would any of you NOT be distressed if you had just shot someone four times that had failed to obey your command to stop? I know I would be distressed.  I am not so sure I would be as dead calm as his fiancee/girlfriend - I can honestly say I would not have had the presence of mind to turn on facebook live on my phone and start recording.  I would have been a screaming, crying mess frantically trying to stem the blood flow from my significant other.

Here is something I think everyone who is not a police officer should watch.  It gives you a whole new perspective of what those handful of seconds a cop has to make a decision is like.

https://www.facebook.com/DailyPolicePhoto/videos/454037404743508/
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Beguile's Mistress

From several things I read I got the impression that Mr. Castile mentioned his carry permit as he was reaching for his wallet which I believe was in his back pocket.  In a highly charged situation with a civilian who is confused and appears to not be listening to the officer indication you might be armed and moving your hand in a direction where many carry a concealed weapon might just add to the stress factor.

I have a carry permit and keep a hand gun in my car when I am out at night.  My trainer instructed my class that if we are stopped by police for any reason we should secure the weapon in its lock box if convenient or in the glove compartment and not keep it on our person.  We can mention the weapon and its location and then tell the officer we have a permit.  We should also try to have license and registration ready before the officer gets to our door or talk through the motions we are making if we need to go to a pocket, purse or other area to retrieve our documents.  If you are like some people and carry insurance and registration in your glove compartment remove them when you put you weapon in there.

It can be difficult if not impossible for some people to think clearly, though, and do what is sensible in a traffic stop situation.

Lustful Bride

I think at this point..its all just madness, we are all running around in the dark screaming at eachother :(

*ignites a tiny little light*

Greatest and truest speech in history

I should like to help everyone - if possible - Jew, Gentile - black man - white. We all want to help one another. Human beings are like that. We want to live by each other's happiness - not by each other's misery. We don't want to hate and despise one another. In this world there is room for everyone. And the good earth is rich and can provide for everyone. The way of life can be free and beautiful, but we have lost the way.

Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate, has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed. We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in. Machinery that gives abundance has left us in want. Our knowledge has made us cynical. Our cleverness, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery we need humanity. More than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost....

The aeroplane and the radio have brought us closer together. The very nature of these inventions cries out for the goodness in men - cries out for universal brotherhood - for the unity of us all. Even now my voice is reaching millions throughout the world - millions of despairing men, women, and little children - victims of a system that makes men torture and imprison innocent people.

To those who can hear me, I say - do not despair. The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of greed - the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish. .....

Soldiers! don't give yourselves to brutes - men who despise you - enslave you - who regiment your lives - tell you what to do - what to think and what to feel! Who drill you - diet you - treat you like cattle, use you as cannon fodder. Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men - machine men with machine minds and machine hearts! You are not machines! You are not cattle! You are men! You have the love of humanity in your hearts! You don't hate! Only the unloved hate - the unloved and the unnatural! Soldiers! Don't fight for slavery! Fight for liberty!

In the 17th Chapter of St Luke it is written: The Kingdom of God is within Man - not one man nor a group of men, but in all men! In you! You, the people have the power - the power to create machines. The power to create happiness! You, the people, have the power to make this life free and beautiful, to make this life a wonderful adventure.

Then - in the name of democracy - let us use that power - let us all unite. Let us fight for a new world - a decent world that will give men a chance to work - that will give youth a future and old age a security. By the promise of these things, brutes have risen to power. But they lie! They do not fulfil that promise. They never will!

Dictators free themselves but they enslave the people! Now let us fight to fulfil that promise! Let us fight to free the world - to do away with national barriers - to do away with greed, with hate and intolerance. Let us fight for a world of reason, a world where science and progress will lead to all men's happiness. Soldiers! in the name of democracy, let us all unite!]

In other Positive news. It seems IS is finally losing the propaganda war. Their internet traffic and propaganda has dropped by about 45% now.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/obama-administration-isis-losing-ground-on-twitter/ar-BBu8let?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=HPCOMMDHP15

*flexes arm* Together We can Do it! Coalition Unite! :P

Aethereal

The cop also asked him to retrieve his ID/licence right before the shots were fired (at least according to what has been reported), which, if true, also means he was minimally giving conflicting information. I interpreted it as Castile being told to get out his ID/licence (*car* licence, not gun licence, as they had been stopped for busted light), remembering that he is, by law, required to inform the officer of his gun at an inopportune moment, and the officer interpreting it as a threat rather than him following the law, and opting to pull the trigger immediately as the victim was currently in the middle of reaching for something (which he must have thought might be the gun).
        Any subsequent order to stop must be very concise, and not possible to interpret in multiple ways. So if the officer (nervous as he was) was rambling at him rather than just yelling "Stop!" or something suitably single-syllable, the warning might have not even been passed properly.
        In any case, as there is no footage from before, we here can only speculate. And leaving *why* the shooting happened aside, it's still mostly the aftermath that bothers me - that *neither* officer tried to stop the bleeding for so long, and so on and so forth...

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Shienvien on July 10, 2016, 12:42:15 AM
        The cop also asked him to retrieve his ID/licence right before the shots were fired (at least according to what has been reported), which, if true, also means he was minimally giving conflicting information. I interpreted it as Castile being told to get out his ID/licence (*car* licence, not gun licence, as they had been stopped for busted light), remembering that he is, by law, required to inform the officer of his gun at an inopportune moment, and the officer interpreting it as a threat rather than him following the law, and opting to pull the trigger immediately as the victim was currently in the middle of reaching for something (which he must have thought might be the gun).
        Any subsequent order to stop must be very concise, and not possible to interpret in multiple ways. So if the officer (nervous as he was) was rambling at him rather than just yelling "Stop!" or something suitably single-syllable, the warning might have not even been passed properly.
        In any case, as there is no footage from before, we here can only speculate. And leaving *why* the shooting happened aside, it's still mostly the aftermath that bothers me - that *neither* officer tried to stop the bleeding for so long, and so on and so forth...

Some other things we can know from the video:
Castle was seated and strapped in. Also since he was apparently shot 4 times in the arm/shoulder, he was almost certainly looking forwards rather than facing the officer, so that was a pretty non-threatening position to be in.

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

gaggedLouise

Theresa May is set to walk into 10 Downing Street around mid-week, the other candidates having withdrawn. Here's an interesting look at what her cabinet might look like. Osborne and Hammond might get to switch their places, but the most intriguing (most striking?) tip is Boris Johnson as...*drumroll* Secretary of Culture, Media and Sports.  >:)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Beorning

Over here, the news are all about the NATO Summit that took place last week. The Summit's results seem positive for Poland and the Baltic states, so everyone is happy about it... At the same time, something very depressing happened:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/09/obamas-tough-remark-about-polish-democracy-gets-twisted-on-polish-tv.html

Basically, a meeting between Barack Obama and our President Duda took place. After their talks, the two leaders went to a press conference - and Obama openly commented on the state of Polish democracy under the PiS rule. Aaaaaaaaand what happened next?

Our public TV, now headed by a PiS politician, practically *censored* Obama. It blatantly lied to the viewers, claiming that Obama didn't have any concerns about our democracy and considered it exemplary. The public TV has become very biased ever since PiS took control of it, true... but this? This is something right out of a dictatorship.  >:(

Also, when the Summit started, the NATO leaders were presented with a exhibit that presented the history behind Poland's joining of NATO. Aaaand... the exhibit turned out to be some sort of sick attempt at revisionism. Poland's road to NATO was a joint effort by a few successive Polish governments - governments the PiS politicians have not been involved in. But the exhibit completely ignored the role of these other governments, as if erasing them from history. According to the exhibit, the person behind Poland joining NATO was... PiS's leader, Jarosław Kaczyński...  >:(

And guess what? The public TV has been saying exactly the same things in these last few days...  >:(

Insane. It's all insane...  :-(

gaggedLouise

That's simply bizarre, Beorning. And very high-handed...but what can you expect from those guys?  :P

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Zakharra

Quote from: Beorning on July 11, 2016, 05:33:29 PM
Over here, the news are all about the NATO Summit that took place last week. The Summit's results seem positive for Poland and the Baltic states, so everyone is happy about it... At the same time, something very depressing happened:

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2016/07/09/obamas-tough-remark-about-polish-democracy-gets-twisted-on-polish-tv.html

Basically, a meeting between Barack Obama and our President Duda took place. After their talks, the two leaders went to a press conference - and Obama openly commented on the state of Polish democracy under the PiS rule. Aaaaaaaaand what happened next?

Our public TV, now headed by a PiS politician, practically *censored* Obama. It blatantly lied to the viewers, claiming that Obama didn't have any concerns about our democracy and considered it exemplary. The public TV has become very biased ever since PiS took control of it, true... but this? This is something right out of a dictatorship.  >:(

Also, when the Summit started, the NATO leaders were presented with a exhibit that presented the history behind Poland's joining of NATO. Aaaand... the exhibit turned out to be some sort of sick attempt at revisionism. Poland's road to NATO was a joint effort by a few successive Polish governments - governments the PiS politicians have not been involved in. But the exhibit completely ignored the role of these other governments, as if erasing them from history. According to the exhibit, the person behind Poland joining NATO was... PiS's leader, Jarosław Kaczyński...  >:(

And guess what? The public TV has been saying exactly the same things in these last few days...  >:(

Insane. It's all insane...  :-(

>_<  It's stuff like that, that makes many of us compare PiS to the Nazis. It's turning into a dictatorship at the least.