News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rad

Right, when I say "Dark Elves" I specifically meant he Fantasy elves. The 40K ones I'll call Dark Eldar or Drukhari.

And yeah, they definitely had a reason for their dickishness, as you say.

And as for Age of Sigmar... yeah. There's books, and I got some of the epubs in that bundle, which I might read. But it still frustrates me that all the well-written, well-developed story from Fantasy is just... gone.

You may tell, I was heavily invested in some of those narrative threads.

Quote from: CopperLily on April 11, 2018, 02:26:06 AM
One of the reasons I really like playing my Corsairs is exactly this - they get to exist in the same narrative space of being utter assholes when they want to be, switching sides, etc. without the outright "Yeah, you're definitely the baddies".

Heh, Corsairs, hadn't really thought about playing them. Didn't really get a sense of "faction", like with the Ynnari. Maybe I just haven't read eno- hey, why's everyone distracted?

looks up "Marauder Destroyer" Sweet mother of all gods! drools savagely

TheLaughingOne

Gotcha! got confused as my group usually just call them dark elves.

And yeah, i dont know many people happy with the whole age of sigmar thing...

And corsairs are pretty limited just fast attack and troop choices, so only really useful with the ynnari or such, and most their options are just upgrade packs from forgeworld..

I think would be cool to have your own little Corsair faction flying around causing mischief and mayhem in the universe..

and yeah! Fucking BEAST isnt it? Lord or war choice... AND COSTS ABOUT 550 POINTS!!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Idej

This is why I like the Ynnari they are a force that is trying to get all Eldar forces United.  Heck even in the rules you can use like 90 percent of the entire Eldar line of units.

BTW Yvraine was a Corsair too among other things.  Really CopperLily and Rad, you should read about the Ynnari you won't be disappointed.

Idej

And the Ynnari is really the reason why I use Drukhari more on the tabletop.  I like their playstyle but their ways of doing things really did grate me.  The Drukhari that do join the Ynnari still are mostly dicks, but now have a greater purpose than just being divks.

greenknight

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on April 11, 2018, 02:35:45 AM
Plus Exodites. forgot about those guys... would really like to see some exodite models.
You've already got multiple lines of them. They're called high elves and wood elves and dark elves  ;)
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

Idej

I think TLO also meant stats too. Lol

As that would be amazing to see tbh.

Rad

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on April 11, 2018, 04:00:31 AM
I think would be cool to have your own little Corsair faction flying around causing mischief and mayhem in the universe..

and yeah! Fucking BEAST isnt it? Lord or war choice... AND COSTS ABOUT 550 POINTS!!

I've got something of an idea brewing for my own Eldar faction. Cause I had an idea for a paint scheme that just doesn't fit any of the craftworlds.

You know, you can have aerial battles with some expanded rules from the rulebook. That would be pretty cool, wouldn't it?

Quote from: Idej on April 11, 2018, 05:21:14 AM
This is why I like the Ynnari they are a force that is trying to get all Eldar forces United.  Heck even in the rules you can use like 90 percent of the entire Eldar line of units.

BTW Yvraine was a Corsair too among other things.  Really CopperLily and Rad, you should read about the Ynnari you won't be disappointed.

Yeah, I'll be looking into them, for sure. Something about it just... makes me really suspicious. Maybe it almost sounds too "good" to be all that they claim to be. I'll see if I can get my hands on that book, or at least read the wiki, I guess.

And Exodites... that sounds like a gimmick to get people to use their Warhamer Fantasy models in 40K :P

Idej

Trust me I am skeptical too.  Heck it's why the Ynnari is not a big faction to begin with.  Lore wise, most factions of the Eldar minus the Harlequins have not thrown their hat in with the Ynnari for many of the same reasons you say.  That and Yvraine is pretty brazen by Eldar standards.

There are three stories of the of the Ynnari available to read on Black Library in ebook form

Ghost Warrior, Fireheart, and Shadow of Heaven.

Only read Ghost Warrior so I can say it is slick.

If you can snag a copy of the now out of print and 7th Edition book, Fracture of Biel-Tan that is the biggest lore book you can get for Ynnari so far.

Idej

As a side note the Ynnari already attracted the attention of three of the big Chaos Legions

Emperor's Children:  Obvious reasons there

Thousand Sons:  Yvraine contains the power to bring back Rubricae to living flesh.  Doesn't help Yvraine crossed with Ahriman

Death Guard:  Ynnari crossed into Nurgle's Garden to get a powerful artifact there.  Nevermind the fact that they still don't know Papa Nurgle has their goddess of life, Isha locked in a cage in his realm.

Nothing about Khorne yet.

azzmeister89

How did I not see this topic all this time?

Space Wolves all the way. So can't wait for the codex and the return of Russ

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Rad on April 11, 2018, 08:26:37 AM
I've got something of an idea brewing for my own Eldar faction. Cause I had an idea for a paint scheme that just doesn't fit any of the craftworlds.

You know, you can have aerial battles with some expanded rules from the rulebook. That would be pretty cool, wouldn't it?

And Exodites... that sounds like a gimmick to get people to use their Warhamer Fantasy models in 40K :P

haha, dude who hosts our battles (owns a ranch, and converted the room above his barn as Mancave/gaming loft) fields guards, with TONS of air support. PIsses off one dude cause he never even bothers to fire at them. Me... I have fucking death company blood angels flying at him on jetpacks, screaming as they swing chainswords and thunder hammers!

And... I did it. one of my main biggies is an imperial knight with thunder gauntlet. managed to punch one of his leman russes to dust, and due to rules with thunder gauntlet, you can choose something within 9 inches and THROW THE TANK at that target. 4+ you do d3 mortal wounds. Guess who left one of his vultures 8.5 inches away from my Knight.

I managed a 3.. Which wasnt much damage, but still emperor be damned if that wasnt satisfying as ALL FUCK. Also gave future ammo when he complained about how its unrealistic one f his tank units got taken out by a guy with a chainsword (lucky rolls in desperate situation), "Yeah, cause its also totally realistic that when you hit a plane with a tank, even just a little, its able to continue working perfectly fine"

And exodites arent quite like the fantasy elves, dark, high, or wood. They went the other way from the other paths (harlequine, Craftworld, Dark, Corsair). They are basicly survivalist native american Amish space elves who settled on awakened planets called "maiden worlds" which are deathworlds that are friendly to the exodites... As long as they arent so stupid they invoke darwin. They have plenty of tech, though shortage of wraithbone, which is usually use for weapons, and make heavy use of creatures native to their planet, thus ride around on dinos (kinda like Delfs). They tend to focus more on survival and hard living, and stay pretty clear of the Taint of Slaanesh (hurhurhur) to protect their souls.

They arent quite viable as a full army as they are kind of "bound" to their planet, they can leave, but its seen like abandoning family, and as the Craftworld treat them as "Space hillbillies", Dark eldar treat them like... well, everything else.. Pincushions. They get along well with corsairs and harlequin (as corsairs enjoy their company and can be fairly honest and free with themselves without being judged (to much), and harlequin as the exodites arent going out and doing stupid shit to try and reclaim an empire they not only lost, but fucked sideways in 10 diff directions) so while they will fight hard to protect themselves (maidenworlds are Awesome for planet fairing races, so humans, tau, and others really like to try and claim them) they are kinda "done" with the bullshit of other eldar.. though to be fair C&D eld will help them on occasion as they can occasionally convince some of the younger ones to come join them, thus giving the gene pool a much needed refresh.
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Rad

Quote from: Idej on April 11, 2018, 08:51:43 AM
As a side note the Ynnari already attracted the attention of three of the big Chaos Legions

See, now... this really makes me curious about them.

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on April 11, 2018, 08:55:35 AM
haha, dude who hosts our battles (owns a ranch, and converted the room above his barn as Mancave/gaming loft) fields guards, with TONS of air support. PIsses off one dude cause he never even bothers to fire at them. Me... I have fucking death company blood angels flying at him on jetpacks, screaming as they swing chainswords and thunder hammers!

And... I did it. one of my main biggies is an imperial knight with thunder gauntlet. managed to punch one of his leman russes to dust, and due to rules with thunder gauntlet, you can choose something within 9 inches and THROW THE TANK at that target. 4+ you do d3 mortal wounds. Guess who left one of his vultures 8.5 inches away from my Knight.

I managed a 3.. Which wasnt much damage, but still emperor be damned if that wasnt satisfying as ALL FUCK. Also gave future ammo when he complained about how its unrealistic one f his tank units got taken out by a guy with a chainsword (lucky rolls in desperate situation), "Yeah, cause its also totally realistic that when you hit a plane with a tank, even just a little, its able to continue working perfectly fine"

It's stories like this that made me want to get into Warhammer in the first place. This sounds like it was a lot of fun!

I cannot wait to get my own armies fielded and ready to make our own crazy stories.

Idej

I could add the Black Legion because of it wasn't for Yvraine, Guilliman would not be around and about leading the Imperium.

And yeah I am getting my army built so I can have funny stories.

Saw a dude ran Ultramarines and had Cato Sicarius and spoke like him from Text to Speech.

Rolling over laughing during that whole fight. XD

TheLaughingOne

Quote from: Rad on April 11, 2018, 09:04:20 AM

It's stories like this that made me want to get into Warhammer in the first place. This sounds like it was a lot of fun!

I cannot wait to get my own armies fielded and ready to make our own crazy stories.

I've been trying to get into it for years, but pretty much EVERY time i tried the people i was going to play with would wait til i bought my minis and go "eeehhh.. Im not that interested" and drop out, and there i was, left with 200-300$ of minis and nothing to do. I actually have a ton i need to finish and paint...

That said, i really miss our old only war game, we basicly ran it wargame with the rules, all had our minis and played, come battle time GM would set up the scene and we would go at it!
My dude was... well, he was literally a warboy from fury road, the vehicle driver/technically Tech, Greatest achievements include capturing a severine dominion general (and stealing his bolt pistol. And hat. And boots) then marking the capture by smearing guys face with grease and oil and slaming him face first on the chimera he drove and then sealing the mark as proof, followed by RAMMING A DARK ELDAR RAVAGER WITH HIS CHIMERA!!

Autocannon burst took out its piloting, and next turn WITNESS ME!!!, rammed full on taking it out, rest of squad was stuck in melee with remaining Darks, so climbed out and shotgunned a couple down (blowing the arm off an archon) and helped tackle down a Wych until the company Ogryn was able to pin her down. By sitting on her. She to got the face plant treatment, and turned into imperial command. Other things include repairing a chainsword that trashed, and then Fixing a plasma gun that had been smashed (emperor bless natural criticals), and was working on remains of a bunch of Conversion field generators he found on a space hulk when i had to drop from the game. his basic unmodified roll to fix things was rolling under a 70 on a d100.

Running jokes include giving techpriests blue screens when they found out that the insane feral world psychopath who was SERIOUSLY invested in the imperial creed (Absolute devotion to the "Immortan Emperor") was able to repair things they had trouble with, The squad while out on patrol finding what looked like his custom battle buggy... Only to take it back to base and realize it was actually an ork trukk, and getting hit in the back of the head with a lasrifle stock everytime he tried to ram vehicles..

I miss that game. and i miss the character. was damn fun.

Fun side note, dude who ran the game is the guy who runs IG, one of his groups has a tank commander, who is modeled after my dude as his regiment is based on our game regi. of course, he rarely has him charge dramaticly into combat screaming WITNESS ME!! but sometimes you just gotta let those small things go.
My Ons and Offs!

Rad

Quote from: Idej on April 11, 2018, 09:17:50 AM
I could add the Black Legion because of it wasn't for Yvraine, Guilliman would not be around and about leading the Imperium.

I knew there had to be a reason for me not to like her :P

That game sounds like it was a lot of fun, TLO!

My only 40K RP game was a Dark Heresy one that still gives me nightmares sometimes. Brother, I've seen some heresy...

But I really like it when people get into the spirit of the game during the tabletop battles as well. We're meant to have fun, it's a game, not a competition. I like it when people get descriptive with what their units do, rather than just move them around the table, roll some dice and Bob's your uncle.

One of my best games was my Dark Elves versus a mate's Dwarves (that's Fantasy). He was shouting grudges against me, I was cursing his entire bloodline. At the end, I said "Yeah, put that in the Book of Grudges." Oh, you better believe it got there!

Not to mention my battles against another friend's High Elves. Those got really political.

Idej

Yeah the game is supposed to be fun.  It's why I like narrative play alot for the game.  I like to tell a story :)

And yeah Rad, Gathering Storm is really a divisive topic.  However, it doesn't change my mind that I like the Ynnari :)

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Rad on April 11, 2018, 12:12:33 PM
But I really like it when people get into the spirit of the game during the tabletop battles as well. We're meant to have fun, it's a game, not a competition. I like it when people get descriptive with what their units do, rather than just move them around the table, roll some dice and Bob's your uncle.

One of my fondest memories was from 3rd ed. I used to run 2 squads of cultists in my force, a unit of 20 with 2 autocannons for fire support and a unit of 10 with pointy sticks, chained to the dreadnought in case of fire frenzies. (When a FF costs you 4 termies, you make DAMN sure it doesn't happen again).

Anyways, the fire support squad. If they ever had a round of fire with no hits, I would have a nearby CSM squad gun down a few of them. I explained to my opponents that such failure would be tolerated, and this was their punishment. Next turn, 3 or 4 hits, every time. You just have to apply the proper motivation to the vermin :)

The point stick squads finest moment, a game against marines. They lost half their number to a fire frenzy getting across the board, but the 5 remaining ones manage to break a marine squad through shooting and chase them close enough to stop them rallying. This game was interrupted by a terminator armoured librarian. The librarian killed the rest of the vermin, leading the demagogue.

Demagogue rolls.

Two hits. Two wounds. Librarian snake eyes his saves

Demagogue does a victory lap  ;D
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

wander

One lul moment I had in my first time playing Custards was that my mate was fielding Shadowsun with his T'au... So I dubbed my goldenbois 'Kitten's Entourage' and much jokes were had that my Golden Custards were getting revenge on her for dumping Kitten...  ;D

Also each game humming the Fabstodes music when I deepstrike my three Wardens in.  ;D

Whilst he's not currently painted, I'm heavily leaning to paint my Warlord on his Jetbike with silver armour. Looks like Daddy Emprah didn't just give a bike to Magnus...  ;)

Idej

Omfg that is epically hilarious.

wander

It's early days with me playing the army, so they don't have so many stories yet.

Also, every time I do anything with my good ol' Dawneagle Shield-Captain, winner of the Blood Games and generally superior bloke down to his very creation sat on his BAMF jetbike... I'm internally thinking this... It's their unofficial theme. ^^'

this cringey old gangsta musickz...

Giantmutantcrab

Just remember...

Papa Nurgle loves you just the way you are.

Cold Heritage

Late to the party but . . .

I like a lot of the RIP AND TEAR groups. Like the Flesh Tearers and all of the Blood Angels successor chapters who have names that evoke bloody mutilation and make you think they're Chaos but nope, they're loyalists. I love that eviscerator that Gabriel Seth wields. When I played the Deathwatch RPG I used to always bug the GM to let me use the rules for them from Rogue Trader, even though it was a hilariously inferior option to going full auto all day erry day. And while they're not RIP AND TEAR or anything, I have a soft spot for the Lamenters. "For Those We Cherish, We Die In Glory."

The World Eaters are okay in my book, although I don't really care all that much for the red and brass and the Khornate style helms with the big dongles to make them look like the Khorne symbol.

I'm on the fence about the Space Wolves. On the one hand, I like Norse/Viking stuff and I listen to Powerwolf but on the other wolf wolf wolf wolf wolf wolf.

I'm also particularly fond of the Black Templars. All the zeal and what have you. I also liked the notion that their numbers were grossly non-codex compliant but no one really knew for sure since they were so dispersed because [ETERNAL CRUSADE INTENSIFIES]. Even if they got saddled with that Holy Hand Grenade garbo.

I also like the Primaris. The only thing I'd like to see is some Primaris wielding chainweapons their size. I used to dislike chainweapons but I've repented of my heretical ways and come to the Emperor's light and realize that chainweapons are true and righteous.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

wander

If we're talking Space Marines, wooo there's so many chapters. Going off the OG Legions though...

Sure, the Blood Angels are pretty fun and Emp's precious flying hawkboy is like everyone's fave little brother til Horus ganked him. The World Eaters are fun as they're basically canon Angry Marines (I wonder if Angron will show eventually in 40k, they keep trying to summon him and the ritual's keep getting interrupted...), of course I love my Death Guard, same as the Dark Angels. Those two are my fave Legions. Also I enjoy the backstory to the Thousand Sons are fluffy and #Magnusdidnothingwrong, though I've not rightly gelled with them though, some thing about them just doesn't sit with me. I'm growing to like Corvus Corax and the Raven Guard (cos my like the angsty goth crowbois ^^). Alpha Legion are fun for the dank memeage too.

I dislike the Iron Warriors and the Iron Hands (too industrial looking and me getting the two confused doesn't help matters) and whilst the Space Wolves are very thematic, they're not my thing.

The Imperial Fists and Ultramarines are shades of vanilla to me. The rest I don't care about either way.

Rad

One of my favourite stories from 30K is the Burning of Prospero. I just love a good tragedy.

So I have a fondness for the Thousand Sons, and The Space Wolves. Hey, even your golden Custard boys were there, weren't they, wander? And I am intrigued by the Sisters of Silence.

As for Space Marine chapters, though they are not my preferred army by far, there's some good ones. I quite like the Black Templars because of how they flaunt their disregard of the codex. I really really dislike the Ultramarines, in case you couldn't tell. #DornIsBestPrimarch (two of my Warhammer buddies are Sanguinius fanboys, though, so we argue about that all the time).

But hey, Space Smurfs have so far been voiced by John Hurt, Terence Stamp and Mark Strong, so... there's that.

And thanks to the Dawn of War games, I've grown to like the Blood Ravens. If I ever get a Space Marine army, it'll be them or the Black Templars.

Idej

I am that weirdo who like the Ultramarines but for all the weird reasons.  The Realm of Ultramar has one of the best infrastructures in the galaxy and very well by Imperium standards.

I am also that weirdo who likes things such as logistics and how well their non military functions are.  The Ultramarines and their successors so far have been doing ok in spite of Tyranid, Nurgle followers, the T'au, and other threats that have been knocking at their door.

And while I would have preferred other Primarchs, Guilliman is the one of the better options to have returned.  But yes I agree they are a bit too vanilla for me.  I just like them for other reasons lol.

Blood Ravens I have started to get a liking to only due to the fact that they are rumored to be loyalist remnants of the Thousand Sons.  Thousand Sons are where it is at for me.  Love those guys.

But for reasons I like the Custodes are similar to why I like the Ultramarines.  I like them for their non military functions.  They have great story potential and I have used one as a plot point for a Rogue Trader game one time, just no one knew that the dude they talked to was one because he became one of the Eyes of the Emperor.

Ideally I like building mixed armies.  Mostly just using a Militarum Detachment to fill out my holes, strategically and fluff speaking lol.

Drukhari is the odd duck for me.  I like their playstyle and aesthetics, but their other fluff was like...ooookay.  Don't get me wrong the ability to play characters with little or no inhibitions is fun, they take it too far.  Yes I am a broken record, but it is why I prefer Ynnari.

Have you guys seen the Thousand Sons Horus Heresy models?  I wanna make a Chaos Space Marines Detachment using those models and have them work with my Thousand Sons detachment.  Just don't have a clue as to why lore wise this would work, besides I want it that way lol