WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

I don't know the Tau well enough in the current edition to say what they can and can't do, unfortunately. If 8th edition is coming, things will get shaken up anyway.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Azrael

I love 40k, I've been playing it a very long time, and Warhammer Fantasy too.  Getting in to Age of Sigmar now.  I love the 40k background though, so much going on, it is huge and fascinating and with a lot of structure, but open enough to do whatever you want with it
Non-binary, sometimes femme-ish, fae tiger.

CopperLily

Quote from: wander on March 24, 2017, 11:26:14 AM
I did look at the Heldrake, the formation it has for a squad is tempting for the future. I'm not sure myself about the Tau and anti-air, it seems each time I talk to my friend about cool things I've found in the codex that they have a counter for it for like half the points. :/

Air and jinking would make the Heldrake(s) survive longer, though their AV is low and my friend has a severe case of good luck.

The Tau have pretty ubiquitous anti-air (basically, they can use markerlights to boost their BS, making firing into the air less of a thing), but the Heldrake is remarkably survivable with its Daemon save.

Though honestly, non-Daemons Chaos vs. Tau in a casual setting is going to be rough if you're just talking about "Take random things that seem cool" style army composition.

HairyHeretic

They're not any more fun to play in a Tournament setting either, particularly if you run into a Win At Any Cost type player.

I've lost a lot of interest in tournaments over the years as I'd like to field an army that makes sense, something thematic, which generally leaves you on the short end of the stick against a tournament style army.

I'm hoping the new Shadow War: Armageddon game turns out well, as playing a Kill Team sized game with character advancement, that would suit me far better. The narrative player and themed army selection rumors from 8th ed also appeal to me.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

So anyone have any thoughts on Guilliman being awake?

TheGlyphstone

Rowboat Girlyman was an absolute ass during the Heresy era. I haven't read RotP myself, so I don't know if he's mellowed any during his nap.

wander

He's gone and dismantled the Lords of Terra and announced himself Lord Commander of the Imperium, on the pretense that after meeting the Emperor, alone mind you (no witnesses), that the Emperor said for it to be so. Now he's top-dog in the Senate and Administratum with all new Lords placed in by himself.

Oh, though before that when he first awoke, he originally went and declared 500 planets around Macragge as independant from the Imperium under his rule. Papa Nurgle tried to fudge his new place over, though Robby gave them the finger. Rowboat headed to Terra and told Nurgle he doesn't care if Papa gets custody of the kids, because he's gonna stay round Daddy Emprah's from then on...

He's out and about and getting shit done though and I skipped a fair bit, however the Ecclesiarchy and the horrors they've been doing the past 10,000 years (which Rowboat is less than happy about) are going to have to wait a bit; Celestine and Greyfax talked his ass down on that particular pimp slap that is far and beyond needing to happen. Here's hoping, because that would be awesome.  8-)

All in all, it's a bit too early to really have much of an opinion on it all, though I kinda like what's he doing personally. The Empire has needed a good mix-up from stagnation for a while now. Long-term though, who knows. He's not being subtle over his position of dictatorship.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: wander on April 04, 2017, 08:12:26 PM
He's gone and dismantled the Lords of Terra and announced himself Lord Commander of the Imperium, on the pretense that after meeting the Emperor, alone mind you (no witnesses), that the Emperor said for it to be so. Now he's top-dog in the Senate and Administratum with all new Lords placed in by himself.

Oh, though before that when he first awoke, he originally went and declared 500 planets around Macragge as independant from the Imperium under his rule. Papa Nurgle tried to fudge his new place over, though Robby gave them the finger. Rowboat headed to Terra and told Nurgle he doesn't care if Papa gets custody of the kids, because he's gonna stay round Daddy Emprah's from then on...

He's out and about and getting shit done though and I skipped a fair bit, however the Ecclesiarchy and the horrors they've been doing the past 10,000 years (which Rowboat is less than happy about) are going to have to wait a bit; Celestine and Greyfax talked his ass down on that particular pimp slap that is far and beyond needing to happen. Here's hoping, because that would be awesome.  8-)

All in all, it's a bit too early to really have much of an opinion on it all, though I kinda like what's he doing personally. The Empire has needed a good mix-up from stagnation for a while now. Long-term though, who knows. He's not being subtle over his position of dictatorship.

That's...wow. 0_0

At least something positive is here. The shot in the arm that the Imperium needs to finally get back up and face a galaxy of hostile aliens and demons.

wander

Oh, I agree. Like I said, he's gonna clean house and that's awesome to me.  ;D

HairyHeretic

So how many Primarchs are we going to see coming back then?

Most of the ones that turned traitor are still around, the Imperials could have, what, 3 or 4 max?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Could be Lion, Khan, Russ, possibly a cybernetic handed Dorn, Corax, maaaybe Manus? Oh Vulkan may still be alive someplace too, being a Perpetual and all.

Most are missing either in the warp/webway or went MIA. Surprisingly few are proper proper dead dead.

HairyHeretic

Let's see

Lion - Hidden in the Rock.
Khan - Disappeared in the webway
Russ - Vanished into the Eye
Dorn - Apparently dead
Sanguinius - Dead
Ferrus - Dead
Guilliman - Mostly dead, got better
Vulkan - Vanished fighting the Beast
Corax - Disappeared

Alpharius - I am Alpharius. Seriously, who knows? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

Maybe we'll get Vulkan. Trazyn is already in the narrative at this point, and it's heavily hinted that the reason Vulkan disappeared is that Trazyn nabbed him for an exhibit.

wander

Well, it's the rule of screenwriting and the Walking Dead; if there's no dead body as proof, they can come back.  :-)

Pretty much everyone aside from Sanguinius can be written as coming back and then so the Blood Angels aren't left out, something will happen so they get their own big bad 600+ point model too. ^_^

HairyHeretic

I hope they don't. Bringing back dead Primarchs would cheapen things. I'm not overly fussed on them bringing back any of them tbh.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Old nostalgia me is happy if they bring Lion back, as Dark Angels were one of my first armies back in 3rd edition.

Mainly though I'm excited for Mortarion as I'm currently pulling together Death Guard. With my army list 99.9% done, I'm pondering now on whether to wait for those smexeh upcoming models or not.

Anyone excited about Shadow War:Armageddon? It basically is Necromunda rules-wise, though using select troop choices of armies as your 'gang'. Hairy, I think you were right when mentioning it as a test bed for 8th edition by what I've seen of rumours for both.

HairyHeretic

I like the idea of SW:A, but then I enjoyed Necromunda back in the day as well. Having a bit more complexity in the 40k rules doesn't phase me, given I started back in Rogue Trader days. I'd prefer that over a table full of Knights, Wraithknights, Ripetides and what have you.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

Yeah, I straight up told my mate I'm not playing Unbound because of that exact reason.

I've managed to find a copy of Necromunda recently. I miss that era of 40k, it's an amazing book, visually, lore-wise and in game balance too. I've found things cost credit-wise what they should and you get what you pay for in it.

HairyHeretic

I was initially against unbound for the same reasons. After thinking about it though, I changed my mind. Yes, you might have someone show up with e riptides, but frankly, they'll bring something almost as bad in a regular list if that's the kind of person they are. Playing an unbound list, I could take a traitor guard force from the AMdex, add in a squad or two of CSMs and maybe some deamons, and play with an army that works with the narrative of the 40k universe.

Think of it along the same lines as using the Imperial Agents codex, and adding something to a Marine or Guard list. Heck, I could take a radical Inquisitor, some CSMs and corrupted guard, deamons and an assassin and do up something that way.

It might not be overly powerful, but it would allow for the telling of a better story.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheLaughingOne

If you guys are looking for some more oldschooly 40k stuff..

INQUISIMUNDA!! taking the old necromunda and Inquisitor rules to mesh them for a pretty good game system! some friends and i are kinda planning on getting some games of it together RL wise.

http://empireofghosts.blogspot.com/p/inquisimunda-resources.html
https://yaktribe.org/community/threads/inquisimunda-resources.2579/

My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Sugo

Heyyyyyy A 40k thread, this is my shit.

I personally don't like Unbound because it takes away a big part of the game and the competitive aspect. It's not easy to make a good list that works well for the points you're given if you have certain limitations. The limitations are there for a reason, to add that extra challenge. Oh you're a deathwatch player, well if you want Drop Pods for your kill teams you have to take a CAD in your list too, so that you can fit it in nicely. That extra aspect is important to me.
100px isn't enough for any of my sigs Vekseid ;___;

I suffer from intermittent stints of depression. I may disappear for extended period of times when my motivation hits a rut.

wander

Right now I'm considering the balance of flamers and meltas in my Death Guard army... I have 27pts with my current army list free for special weapons. While flamers are awesome for the template, their Str is a bit meh... Meltas are pure death though it has a pitiful range. However I do have a squad of 3 bikes in Fast Attack (500pts small army list btw).

So I can either get one melta for a squad and then have 3 flamers, or I could 2 meltas and have 1 flamer. I figure the former is probably better (as I have two 5 man squads in Troops and a bike squad, so I could give each a flamer and then the bikes could get the lone Melta).

Still counting my options, though I wonder if anyone has an opinion that could help. I'll be going mainly against Tau.

HairyHeretic

Popped up on one of my image threads this morning, and gave me a laugh.

Wander, how do you feel about plasma? Better range, almost as effective as killing battlesuits, though you do have overheating to worry about.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

wander

That's true, a bit expensive though. Range would be a thing, do you know how long the flamer template is? I've yet to get the templates etc for bigger games again.

The overheating is a big worry, which I why I looked at that and the steeper price than melta as considerable cons for a small sized army. Though yeah, meltagun range is bad enough to only be a thing later in the game once up-field and thats with Kill Team on a 2' shorter trek. I am concerned of reducing Bolter fire early in the game because there's a Melta in the squads.

At 27pts left I could get one Plasma and then two Flamers... Or a Plasma and a Melta. I think Flamers would suit me fair though as I'm gonna face larger numbers and Tau put out double shots in some circumstances, so a flamer hitting multiple models (if I can get them that close, thankfully there are bikes that can charge in) would help.

HairyHeretic

Flamer template .. um, about 6-8" ish. I'd have to dig one out and check to be sure. A decent flamer blast ought to catch about 5 models, unless they're really clumped up.

In Kill Team games, I've used a flamer armed Raptor to great effect. I can use cover to get close and avoid taking fire, then hose down the target.

Cattle die, kinsmen die