Strategy-esque Board-Style Battle Rules

Started by Lilian, September 30, 2007, 12:37:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilian

Okay, uh'm, basically.. think something like Warhammer 40k? Rules that define running a battle with groups of user-created soldahs, vehicles, whatevah. I'm collaborating with someone to help make a more proper RPG with it, but was just wondering if anyone had experience with systems that we could dabble with. We'd like it to be very flexible in units, etc., not insanely difficult to learn (though it can be reasonable), and customizeable if need be?

Just throwin this out, seeing if anyone bites. =3

Jeramiahh

Well, I'm not particularly well-versed in turn-based strategy RPGs, aside from D&D, I've found I have an *excellent* eye for numbers and balance, and can, quite often, locate a flaw or loophole without too much difficulty.

In other words, if you need someone to crunch numbers for ya, I'd be glad to; I craft board games in my head for fun. =P
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

OldSchoolGamer

I think the engine for Civ4 is really well-developed, yet simple.

The precepts for the engine are this:
Each unit has a simple Movement and Strength score.  That's it.  No offense and defense ratings.
Each unit has a type (melee, archer, gunpowder, mounted, etc.)

Many units have a specific attack or defense bonus that applies in certain situations.  Usually, these are: 1) attacking or defending against a certain unit or type of unit, or 2) being on a certain terrain.  (There can also be penalties.)

For instance, all units may gain +25% to strength when defending on a Hill.  Spearmen may gain +50% when attacking or defending against mounted units (cavalry, elephants, horse archers, etc.)

Units that win battles gain experience, and the victor can choose an advancement for the unit.  An advance can be a 10% across-the-board Strength bonus, or a larger bonus that only applies in certain situations.

kongming

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on October 01, 2007, 02:13:03 AM
Each unit has a simple Movement and Strength score.  That's it.  No offense and defense ratings.

I actually find that to be the case in most games. Sure, they say you have other things, like HP, defence and depth perception, but we all know the truth to be that if you hit fastest and hardest, you win. See: every game that exists. I guarantee it.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Lilian

Ahah, I really dislike the Civ4 system. I still think it's absolutely retarded that roman legionnaires just destroyed an M1 Main Battle tank.

But, yea, I was just looking for a system itself. The one we have right now incorporates a few things to help with balance and tactical decisions. It takes cover, range, unit type, being under fire, and a few other things into consideration that stops you from just running a mob of people down the street.

Amberghylles

You're thinking Civ 3 I think, that was one of the big improvements in Civ IV.  No stack of legionnaires could hope to take out a tank unless there just was such a vast number to wear it down.  (Which is accurate if you consider the failed Japanese invasion of Mongolia during WWII... enough numbers will overwhelm a technologically superior force.)

Celestial Goblin

What we actually need is a system for the strategic part of our game.
We already have a system for tactical battles (the splendid F.A.D fromhttp://www1.freewebs.com/weaselfierce/).

What we're looking for is a ruleset for moving groups of units on a map, producing armies and securing resources. The battles themselves are already accounted for.
A modern equivalent of 'Heroes of Might and Magic' of sorts.

Lilian

Exaaaactly. Or if you know if just some bitchin' tactical system that you just HAVE to throw at us, that'd be cool, too. But yea..  unless we come up with an idea on our own, something to take over a resource system, and a way of managing groups more effectively on a map of the area-at-large. 

HairyHeretic

I'm game. I've been playing wargames (mostly the tabletop / models variety) for 20 years now, and playtesting for .. damn, must be about close on 9 years now.

I've done a few little rules things myself from time to time. Did up what I thought was a rather fun little game called Jafffa Cri! where you play Goa'uld System Lords. Sort of an expand / explore / exterminate space one. Works quite well on the table or on line. The resource management aspect of that you might find useful. Drop me a PM or something if you want to discuss it.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.